Identify a harness??

An area for discussing methods for achieving or approximating a more authentic re-creation, for armour, soft kit, equipment, ...

Moderator: Glen K

Shrek

Identify a harness??

Post by Shrek »

Does anybody know details of the harness this back plate belongs to? More photos?, which collection?, is it a composite? ... I need this data for the purpose of Interpretive Re-creation. :D

Attachments
Alamy back plate.jpg
(176.58 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Otto von Teich
Archive Member

Re: Identify a harness??

Post by Otto von Teich »

I don't know where its located, but its German, I believe about mid 16th cent. Looks like a Nuremberg mark on the upper left. The Spaulders don't quite match, the left one might be a restoration. Hope this helps, maybe someone else can chime in with more info.
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Johann ColdIron
Archive Member

Post by Johann ColdIron »

Looks German to me. It could be a half a mark of Nuremburg but hard to see.

At a minimum mismatched spaulders as sharp eyed Otto said. Mid 16th cent likely due to the straight top of the back plate and the corresponding long gorget back plate. Cullet may be "Associated". The cullet roping is slightly different to the rest of the hems. It is really flat at the back which is unusual. The crack repair may have been a result of heavy handed reconstruction.

Was there any info at Alamy?
John Cope/ Sir Johann ColdIron, Master- Order of the Laurel

I'm not dead yet!
Ian L
Archive Member

Post by Ian L »

tineye reverse image search keeps linking this backplate to an old version of the website belonging to the Art Institute of Chicago, specifically backplate 1982.2240 (c1520 Nuremberg) but the current entry for that backplate no longer has an image displayed with it... :(
Tom B.
Archive Member

Post by Tom B. »

I think that it was previously displayed in this configuration (2014)

Galileo
Archive Member

Post by Galileo »

Tom B. wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:39 am I think that it was previously displayed in this configuration (2014)

Tom, your link doesn't work.
Dia Mathessos, Dynamis

Member#71