Cobbling Time

An area for discussing methods for achieving or approximating a more authentic re-creation, for armour, soft kit, equipment, ...

Moderator: Glen K

Sean M
Archive Member

Cobbling Time

Post by Sean M »

One of the seams between the uppers and the soles of my latchet-fastened turnshoes is starting to fail. These photos are not the best but I can try others after sunrise if anyone wants to see something specific.

(The black bit in the upper right is the latchet)

What can I do to repair the damage before the whole seam fails? And where can I buy heavyweight linen or hemp thread? I used to have a source for waxed bookbinder's thread.
DIS MANIBUS GUILLELMI GENTIS MCLEANUM FAMILIARITER GALLERON DICTI
VIR OMNIBUS ARTIBUS PERITUS
Check out Age of Datini: European Material Culture 1360-1410
Matthew Amt
Archive Member

Re: Cobbling Time

Post by Matthew Amt »

This is what I always use: https://www.michaels.com/white-waxed-li ... 68123.html
It also comes in black, brown, and dark red (maybe more?), but natural is best for any historical stuff. Though by the 18th century cordwainers and cobblers were using pitched-base wax to coat the thread, which made it black. Dunno when that started, though. You should be able to find this at leather suppliers, too, the rolls always look like this. Anything on a plastic spool is probably synthetic!

Something finer, not waxed: https://www.michaels.com/lineco-books-b ... 7491S.html

I always run even the waxed thread over my beeswax as I work, something like this: https://www.michaels.com/the-beadsmith- ... 0803S.html

Michaels will also have a good selection of hemp cord, 10# and 20#, various colors, though I find it has more lumps in it so it's a little tricky for leatherwork.

Happy cobbling!

Matthew
Sean M
Archive Member

Post by Sean M »

Sound like some great sources for thread, any suggestions on how to get in and make the repair? I think that seam was made while the shoes were on the lasts and even if I wanted to take the shoes apart and turn them inside out, I do not have my own lasts to place them back on.
gaukler
Archive Member

Post by gaukler »

I don’t think you’ll need a last to repair the seam. The leather is already stretched to shape. You’ll just have to use the right stitch.
Gaukler Medieval Wares
http://www.medievalwares.com
Matthew Amt
Archive Member

Post by Matthew Amt »

I actually never used lasts when making medieval shoes. So probably their shape was a bit off, but no one ever complained about the fit or function. So if you can turn it inside out, maybe after some soaking in water, easy enough to fix because the seam will be exposed. Blown seams like that never seem to happen at the back, where you can reach them easily, always just a little too far forward!

Matthew
Jon
Archive Member

Post by Jon »

If you want to make and mix your own shoemakers wax and run your linen or hemp thread through it, go nuts. If you'd like to streamline that a bit, try here: http://www.royalwoodltd.com/cat14-17ar.htm. No last necessary, turn, stitch, turn. If turning either direction is difficult, soak first. Wear them wet in place of a last, old trick for forming and fitting boots.

Jon
Extra omnes pratum meum.
Sean M
Archive Member

Post by Sean M »

Thanks for the link to them! I ordered some of their thread for scale armour a long time ago and I will try ordering again.

Edit: and oh crikey! They want USD 59.55 to ship one spool to Canada with US Postal Service Priority Mail International. No thanks!

I. Marc Carlson's site is down (Internet Archive), but I am looking at the section on shoemaking in the Museum of London Shoes and Pattens book. I think he has a section on what was in "cordwainer's code".

I am looking for my curved needles for doing that stitch without trying to turn the shoe back inside out.
John Vernier
Archive Member

Post by John Vernier »

If you want the deepest dive into "cordwainer's code" out there you should look at this massive endless thread on the traditional shoemakers' forum The Crispin Colloquy: http://www.thehcc.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1028
That site is the best repository of hand shoemaking information but it's bigger than the Armour Archive and almost as sleepy these days, and it's a lot to wade through. Al Muckart, who was (still is?) involved with making medieval shoes in the SCA in New Zealand, is part of the code/handwax discussion and used to have a good summary of his experiments on his personal blog, but he seems to have taken it down, a regrettable loss.
Sean M
Archive Member

Post by Sean M »

Some waxed linen thread and blunt-tipped steel needles arrived from Lee Valley. I cut a length, put a blunt needle on each end, and did my best attempt at the stitch from Grew and de Neergard's Shoes and Pattens p. 46. dru picked good materials and did good work, the holes in the leather were easy to find after a few years of use and fragments of the old linen thread were still in the holes. I had to pull them out with tweezers.

It would probably go easier in bright daylight or with a focused light shining into the shoe.

I'm not sure of the best way to tidy up the ends of the repair thread. But despite the pandemic, I finished this repair! Now to finish some other projects.