Recipe for Brewer's Pitch (and maybe cutler's pitch)?

An area for discussing methods for achieving or approximating a more authentic re-creation, for armour, soft kit, equipment, ...

Moderator: Glen K

RenJunkie
Archive Member

Recipe for Brewer's Pitch (and maybe cutler's pitch)?

Post by RenJunkie »

Hi gang,

So, I'm about to start experimenting with making brewer's pitch. From my research, it looks like it was made by burning down the sap-riddled wood and catching both the pitch and the char from the process. Not experimenting with that at this time, I'm going to be using pine resin and melting it down then adding pine-wood char. I'm doing it the modern, time and resource-limited way lol. The main reason I want it is for drinking vessel projects that require pitch (and eventually so I know what I'm aiming for when I start experimenting with traditional methods).

But I don't know--or have a good guess--at how much of the charcoal needs to be in pitch. Does anyone have experience with that and some idea of the proportions? I'm not worried about the beeswax proportion yet, that's something I need to figure out to my personal satisfaction. I could buy the stuff Townsend's sells, except for it's not black and I know from past experience it doesn't handle the southern Chesapeake summers satisfactorily. Too much beeswax in the mix, I think. Which is where all this started...the stuff gets too squishy for me even in the shade on a hot day at work. I figure the Townsend's stuff is a cooler climate recipe meant to resist cracking from getting too cold, which is rather less of a problem for me. I haven't found much else available, and even if I did, at this point I have to see the experiment through. It's a moral imperative. :mrgreen:

And I have the same sort of question for cutler's pitch...I'm super-curious about using the stuff.

Thanks!
Chris
War kittens?!!!

"Born to lose. Live to win."

Historical Interpreter- Jamestown Settlement Museum
Master's Candidate, East Carolina University
Graduate of The College of William & Mary in Virginia
Chris Flagstad
Archive Member

Re: Recipe for Brewer's Pitch (and maybe cutler's pitch)?

Post by Chris Flagstad »

The effect of the climate difference is interesting.
Does it leave much of a taste?
Johann ColdIron
Archive Member

Post by Johann ColdIron »

The Townsend stuff is really not brewers pitch. More like pine resin with some beeswax in it. I used it to reseal a costrel that had lost it's mojo but it imparts a slight pine fresh scent... Not the worst flavor but a bit distracting. Also learned not to leave the costrel empty in the sun in the back of the truck when coming home from an event. It quickly becomes liquid again! But easy to reseal that way. It is good for making leather working rosin for stitching though.

A friend long ago made me a leather jack that held up well with a much more durable waxy black coating that was still natural. No idea what it was and haven't been able to confirm with them. Would love to find that recipe.

There is also a much more modern sealant similar to Tandy Edge Coat I have encountered in more modern leather drinking vessels. Bought one at Pennsic thought the merchant name escapes me. Is some sort of plastic coating and has held up well. Shame the vessel is not a more historic silhouette.

I look forward to hearing more of what you find with your research!
John Cope/ Sir Johann ColdIron, Master- Order of the Laurel

I'm not dead yet!
Sean M
Archive Member

Post by Sean M »

Theophilius has two recipes for cutler's pitch, there may be more in the Mappae Clavicula. For proportions, experiment.
DIS MANIBUS GUILLELMI GENTIS MCLEANUM FAMILIARITER GALLERON DICTI
VIR OMNIBUS ARTIBUS PERITUS
Check out Age of Datini: European Material Culture 1360-1410
RenJunkie
Archive Member

Post by RenJunkie »

I'll definitely look up the Theophilius recipes, thanks!

I agree that the Townsend's stuff isn't brewer's pitch; nether the yellow nor the no-longer-available black. My experience actually makes me suspect the inverse of your description: beeswax with some black-colored pine pitch. The black version in my jack gets way too soft this time of year, and I can smell the beeswax (which is kinda pleasant). I left a chunk of pure pine resin out for a couple days over the weekend and checked it a few times during the afternoons. It didn't get nearly as soft as the Townsend's pitch. In fact, even though it got a little soft in direct sun, it still broke in half rather than take on a new shape. The pure beeswax we use for waxing thread turns into silly putty under the same conditions.

If you remember either of the sealants or merchants, please let me know!

I'm hoping to start tinkering this week. Whether or not that'll happen..... :lol:

Thanks!
Chris
War kittens?!!!

losthelm
Archive Member

Post by losthelm »

The pennsic merchant I think was using Envirotex pour-on as a sealer.

As for harvesting pitch it seams the Foxfire book uses the pitchwood and cooking it out/down.
Les Landes region is an industrail forest known for producing particular type of pitch. (there is a bit of history on the methods and techniques )
As for using available resin I wonder if cutting it with Carnuba instead of beeswax would help keep it a little stiffer.
Wilhelm Smydle in the SCA

My Ebay Listings
My ETSY
RenJunkie
Archive Member

Post by RenJunkie »

Envirotex? I'll start working on tracking it down.

I'll have a look at the Foxfire book. I have a guess at the method it describes....curious to see if I'm right or if it's more like the brewers' method. I hope so, because I haven't got that way to work on my own yet.

I haven't heard of Les Landes, but it sounds promising. Fascinating at worst lol.

I never thought about carnuba....it's definitely worth a try. Not that I have any idea what proportion to start with. In fact, I'm still trying to figure out a good way to test the end results. Only thing I can think to do is make a cup for each experimental mix, and find people to test drive them who'll use the...well...use the tar out of them lol. Probably try and talk people at work into it, especially on the ships. They have the most harsh conditions on site.

Now I just have yo find time....

Thanks!
Chris
War kittens?!!!

Galileo
Archive Member

Post by Galileo »

Envirotex is available at hobby stores (Michaels and Hobby Lobby both carry it in stock - back in the cheap apple barrel paint area)
Dia Mathessos, Dynamis

Member#71
RenJunkie
Archive Member

Post by RenJunkie »

Sweet! I was planning on swinging thru one or both to get some hide glue.

Thanks!
Chris
War kittens?!!!