SCA: Creating a unique "Dark Age" kit

An area for discussing methods for achieving or approximating a more authentic re-creation, for armour, soft kit, equipment, ...

Moderator: Glen K

Gerhard von Liebau
Archive Member

SCA: Creating a unique "Dark Age" kit

Post by Gerhard von Liebau »

Hello folks,

I've been having battle after battle in my mind over how I'm going to pull off a dark age kit and retain the uniqueness I'm after... I've seen a WHOLE LOT of Dark Age impressions done in the SCA, and so many seem good.

I need advice as to how I can stand out in the crowd. What particular group of people from what century/decade should I focus on that grabs attention as being unique from most impressions? What kind of unique equipment would accompany this idea?

I'd like to minimize the amount of anachnonisms to helm/gauntlet related things, and have hidden armour wherever necessary.

Thanks!

-Gregory-
Oswyn_de_Wulferton
Archive Member

Post by Oswyn_de_Wulferton »

Most of what I have seen, being a pretty normal portryal with some well selected bling, really would be pretty unique. Take a really good LH portrayal, see what needs to be added to make it SCA legal, and do it. Get some low-profile stuff. It is pretty easy to get knees/elbows that will fit under tunics, so if you are pretty confident in your defense, and have a decently high tolerance for pain, you will be fine.
Westerners, we have forgotten our origins. We speak all the diverse languages of the country in turn. Indeed the man who was poor at home attains opulence here; he who had no more than a few deiners, finds himself master of a fourtune.
James B.
Archive Member

Post by James B. »

What do you mean by dark ages?

I really dig the Sutton Hoo grave finds, talk about bling.
James B.
In the SCA: Master James de Biblesworth
Archer in La Belle Compagnie
Historic Life
Gerhard von Liebau
Archive Member

Dark Ages... I'm not sure why I used the term in the first place, considering I don't like it. Let's say 600-1100 AD, here. Sutton Hoo's awesome, but I don't think I could afford to do the portrayal justice.

Oswyn, I'm a new fighter, so I'll get elbows, knees, cuisses and vambraces, but plan on hiding them all. I want it to have as much of a LH feel to it as possible. My main debate is whether to use demi-gauntlets with cup hilts for my weapons or clamshells with more accurate weapons. I'm leaning towards the latter, for axe and spear fighting, but suggestions on that would be nice.

Thanks!

-Gregory-
Blaine de Navarre
Archive Member

Post by Blaine de Navarre »

You know what I don't recall ever seeing in the SCA?

A really good Carolingian impression.
Blaine de Navarre
in temperantiam temeritas
in vapulationem veritas
Egfroth
Archive Member

Post by Egfroth »

Nice idea. See http://forums.armourarchive.org/phpBB2/ ... hp?t=46376

Or perhaps a 6th century Lombard? Something like the pictures below, both in lamellar armour with curved edges (the Agilulf ones might even have "S"-shaped edges!) and plumed helmets.

For a bit of history of the early Lombards, see http://www.fernweb.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/mf/lombards.htm
Attachments
6th century Lombardic or Byzantine plate. Castelvecchio Museum, Verona. Plumed spangenhelm with cheekguards, lamellar with short sleeves and side-split extension covering thighs
6th century Lombardic or Byzantine plate. Castelvecchio Museum, Verona. Plumed spangenhelm with cheekguards, lamellar with short sleeves and side-split extension covering thighs
Lombard armour detail2.JPG (69.53 KiB) Viewed 381 times
Close-up of the Agilulf plate. Detail is bad, but you can see lamellar, shields, spears, plumed spangenhelms (or lamellar helms?) maybe with cheek guards
Close-up of the Agilulf plate. Detail is bad, but you can see lamellar, shields, spears, plumed spangenhelms (or lamellar helms?) maybe with cheek guards
AgilulfDetail.jpg (80.26 KiB) Viewed 897 times
Decorative plate from the helmet of 6th century Lombard King Agilulf
Decorative plate from the helmet of 6th century Lombard King Agilulf
Agilulf2.JPG (62.93 KiB) Viewed 897 times
Egfroth

It's not really armour if you haven't bled on it.
MJBlazek
Archive Member

Post by MJBlazek »

Dude...Egyptian...I'd love to see that! A well done portrayal of somethign along the lines of Tuts armor or something... yeah a lot earlier than Dark Ages, but you're into that bronze age stuff aren't you?
Lord Alexander Clarke, Righteous Brother of the Priory of St. Colin the Dude, The Bear of Hadchester, Squire to Sir Cedric of Thanet

~Chivalry unpaired with Valor is a meal to starve a mans soul~
T. Finkas
Archive Member

Post by T. Finkas »

Egfroth wrote:...like the pictures below..
I can just see that image from the browpiece, redrawn and acid etched into a thick piece of brass or bronze, and mounted to an appropriately styled SCA helmet. Freakin cool! I'd like to see somebody like Brand Lancaster take a crack at it---maybe do the bottom half of the visor like a real face (as he has recently done on a viking helmet).
audax
Dark Overlord Chick of the Universe

Post by audax »

Avars, Magyars, Carolingians, Lombards, Slavs, Pagan Saxons, Livonians, etc. Knotwolf is the place to go for early period helms. Otto does good work too.

There are tons of Dark Age peoples to choose from that get precious little representation in the SCA. Personally when I get my scale shirt I'm going to develop a Carolingian impression just for the heck of it. Ok, really because I'm an armor whore.
Martel le Hardi
black for the darkness of the path
red for a fiery passion
white for the blinding illumination
--------------------------------------
Ursus, verily thou rocketh.
Gerhard von Liebau
Archive Member

Hmmm. Sounds like a lot of good ideas, folks.

Before I jump the gun and say I'd take one over another, let me offer up some further explanation of what I plan on "getting" out of the kit.

- A round shield, large in diameter with a central boss.
- A helmet that has cheekplates and a back portion integrated historically, if at all possible. This way I can minimize the inaccuracies.
- A simple tunic, possibly of two colors?
- Slim pants w/winingas.
- A mail shirt.

And... That's about it. I'd like to limit the decoration to any buckles, belt plaques, etc. I want a simple helmet and for my shield to be pretty simple as well, with maybe a couple of colors on it. I want to present a warrior who's not poor, but definitely not the head of any warband, etc. Someone who'd be considered "well-to-do."

As far as influence goes, I suppose something more Eastern European would be nice. I am half Yugoslavian, and when I let my facial hair grow out, I'm certainly not too clean looking like Westerners. So, that might be more appropriate!

So, from there... Again. Thanks for the suggestions, thus far.

-Gregory-
Russ Mitchell
Archive Member

Post by Russ Mitchell »

I can give you some guidance if you go with Magyar or the like. One quickie option that I don't see done (and was) is to make a lamellar aventail, and lace the sections you want to be rigid rigidly, and the sections you want to move loosely. And with some pilot holes you can go right over a cheap helm with it, I bet....
Mord
Archive Member

Post by Mord »

Merovingian Frankish.

Mord.
Keep calm and carry a bigger stick.
B. Amos
Archive Member

Post by B. Amos »

The guy who wears this helmet has the best carolingian kit that I have ever seen. I think he use to be one of sir richards sqires. I wonder if anyone has a pic of the full kit.
Attachments
E-10.jpg
E-10.jpg (20.58 KiB) Viewed 612 times
Pax Vobiscum
- Bishop Amos le Pious
Count and Knight of the Lodge
James B.
Archive Member

Post by James B. »

Mord wrote:Merovingian Frankish.
That would be spiff, there is a Euro group that does awesome Frankish stuff but I have never heard of a good SCA version.

These guys are awesome, few flaws but they have the most pimp helms ever: http://www.ulfhednar.com

James B.
In the SCA: Master James de Biblesworth
Archer in La Belle Compagnie
Historic Life
knotwolf
Archive Member

Post by knotwolf »

B. Amos wrote:The guy who wears this helmet has the best carolingian kit that I have ever seen. I think he use to be one of sir richards sqires. I wonder if anyone has a pic of the full kit.
That helm is one of mine & belongs to Sir Mihangle of Calontir, not one of my squires but an excellent fellow anyway. I'll see if I can track down a pic of his rig.
InsaneIrish
SQUEEE!

Post by InsaneIrish »

Here you go Richard. You beat me to it. I was looking for an image when you posted. :)

http://www.baronyofvatavia.org/gallery/ ... c0c5c32a4c

http://www.baronyofvatavia.org/gallery/ ... c0c5c32a4c
Insane Irish

Quote: "Nissan Maxima"
(on Pennsic) I know that movie. It is the 13th warrior. A bunch of guys in armour that doesn't match itself or anybody elses, go on a trip and argue and get drunk and get laid and then fight Tuchux.
Blaine de Navarre
Archive Member

Post by Blaine de Navarre »

Beautiful helmet & scale...now if he'd just hide the arm & leg armour.
Blaine de Navarre
in temperantiam temeritas
in vapulationem veritas
Gerhard von Liebau
Archive Member

Hey guys, thanks for the great ideas.

I'm still having trouble, but for some reason Frankish doesn't catch my fancy. Sir Mihangle looks good, but definitely doesn't cover up as much as he can to make the outfit look more period-correct. If anything, I'm going to strive to do what I can to look as true to the selected persona as possible when on and off the field. Because of financial reasons, I'm assuming I'll have to start by looking like a rather "poor" warrior to start.

The 7th century Vendel culture has really caught my attention due to the great detail on their arms and armour. The problem is that I couldn't afford the detail! So, that's a problem... The release of HE's recent line of "Dark Age" clothing, including primarily their labelled Viking outfit, has prompted me to use these clothes as the base of my outfit. I own an entire outfit from HE, and love the quality and the look that their work achieves.

So, maybe I'll get that stuff and we'll figure out what I can do, from there.

Thanks again, guys.

-Gregory-