16th century Illuminatti time to show off your kits!!!

An area for discussing methods for achieving or approximating a more authentic re-creation, for armour, soft kit, equipment, ...

Moderator: Glen K

sha-ul
Archive Member

16th century Illuminatti time to show off your kits!!!

Post by sha-ul »

the 14th century guys have the mafia
the 15th century guys are thugz
We who are interested in the 16th century have become enlightened(tm)

Time to show off you kits hard&soft, If it's maximillion, Henry the VIII, or Elizebethian etc post it!!
Whenever the legislators endeavor to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people, who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience
Lindsay
Archive Member

Post by Lindsay »

Ok... here's some of my kit:

Me on the right in the Yellow, the outfit is loosely based on the French recruitment officer from Paul Dolstein's Diary.

Later 16thC kit, still under development.

Very old Picture, late 16thC Border light horse.
Our Young friends stuff their codpieces with hell-fire and rags and make them so large that the devil can sit on them and look out, purely as an annoyance and bad example, yes even for the temptation and seduction of poor, witless and innocent young girls
Rittmeister Frye
Archive Member

Post by Rittmeister Frye »

You're going to make me do my best to out-do Murdock's photo count, aren't you? Anyway, here are a few of mine...

I'll even add a couple in a second post, since I've maxed out here.

Cheers!

Gordon
Attachments
Mounted Landsknecht.jpg
Mounted Landsknecht.jpg (55.99 KiB) Viewed 15649 times
G B&W Jaran.jpg
G B&W Jaran.jpg (95.9 KiB) Viewed 15649 times
07-2.jpg
07-2.jpg (57.29 KiB) Viewed 15649 times
"He who wields the sword will be first served"
Charles Napier
Rittmeister Frye
Archive Member

And more... I even sometimes do things dismounted! (Like shootin' things... 8))

(I know, I'm an attention whore, and love posting pics of myself. What can I say. :roll: )

Cheers!

Gordon
Attachments
JuneFaire07_BaroqueWoody_xs.jpg
JuneFaire07_BaroqueWoody_xs.jpg (82.47 KiB) Viewed 8444 times
knw_06faire_gordonshock1.jpg
knw_06faire_gordonshock1.jpg (26.17 KiB) Viewed 15647 times
Gordon+shoots+wheel+lock.jpg
Gordon+shoots+wheel+lock.jpg (30.35 KiB) Viewed 15647 times
Charles Napier
Karl Helweg
Archive Member

Landsknecht

Post by Karl Helweg »

I need to take some new pictures to show improvements to my Landsknecht kit. Obviously I do not tie my tassets down but as bad as this looks it is hardly noticable when I fight. Oh yes, do you all like the "marshal" we found for the tournament?
Attachments
Nov 2004 Castle Wars - cropped1200.JPG
(33.96 KiB) Downloaded 249 times
KarlvsBrennus.JPG
KarlvsBrennus.JPG (36.73 KiB) Viewed 15538 times
Murdock
Something Different

Post by Murdock »

aluminum gets shiny

:D
Phil Crawley

Post by Phil Crawley »

The only ones of me in kit I have, and taken for my tailor's website so the bare minimum to show it off.

There are 6 yards of cloth in the britches alone, another 3 in the doublet which is I am wilting slightly in this shot :)

I normally have a leather slashed doublet, shoulder cape, whiffler's sash, gorget and burgonet too plus either bow or lance, depending on circumstance.
"I am going to be killed responsibly on horseback, as a compliment to the cavalry."
Rittmeister Frye
Archive Member

Phil Crawley wrote: There are 6 yards of cloth in the britches alone, another 3 in the doublet which is I am wilting slightly in this shot :)
Cool! Those are GREAT britches! I am officially jealous! :)

Cheers!

Gordon
Charles Napier
Phil Crawley

Post by Phil Crawley »

I wedge into a portuguese saddle and have geat difficulty getting on or off but, if I fall, they inflate and I bounce ;)

The codpiece now has two metres of braid stitched on it to make it more impressive and a couple of bells too and I have to figure a way to stitch a pearl I have securely to the tip :)

Just found another of me in my backup rig getting into my brigandine
"I am going to be killed responsibly on horseback, as a compliment to the cavalry."
Rittmeister Frye
Archive Member

There's a codpiece on those britches??? Huh... LOTS of fabric indeed!

I know what you mean about being wedged into a Portuguese saddle... see the photo above of me in my waffenrock wedged into mine. 8) Dang but it's awkward getting into the saddle wearing a skirt, though! No wonder women rode side-saddles! :shock:

Cheers!

Gordon
Charles Napier
Andrew Young
Archive Member

Post by Andrew Young »

Curiously.....there are a growing number of 14th and 15th century living history costume providers but the 16th and 17th century costume field seems to me, to be dominated by renn-faire/fantasy/casually accurate costume makers (ie, Museum Replicas).

Who do serious living history members recommend as the better of the 16th century costume makers....folks who "document" their work, etc.
Fine Armour and Reproductions
Living History & Accurately Formed 'SCA' Grade
-----online catalog coming this spring----

http://www.partsandtechnical.com
Rittmeister Frye
Archive Member

Durasteel Corporation wrote:Curiously.....there are a growing number of 14th and 15th century living history costume providers but the 16th and 17th century costume field seems to me, to be dominated by renn-faire/fantasy/casually accurate costume makers (ie, Museum Replicas).

Who do serious living history members recommend as the better of the 16th century costume makers....folks who "document" their work, etc.
You're dead on the money there, as I can't think of a single supplier who I could really recommend to anyone for 16th Century clothing (other than some REALLY expensive tailors!) 15th Century, 17th Century no problem. 16th Century? Forget it. :cry:

BTW, I would LOVE to hear of a good sutler for such goods, as I sure as heck can't find anyone to recommend to the many folks who ask me about it. Most of the suppliers I've seen either on the web or in person hawk such horrid travesties that I couldn't possibly recommend them in good conscience.

Cheers,

Gordon
Charles Napier
Karen Larsdatter
Archive Member

Post by Karen Larsdatter »

Larsdatter.com: read the linkspages, and follow me on Facebook & Tumblr.
Rittmeister Frye
Archive Member

Karen, I think I would (and do!) place her in the category of (very) high-quality tailor, rather than a mere a "supplier" of off the shelf goods. :D I adore her work, but she's not exactly the sort to recommend to someone just getting going (although her book The Tudor Tailor certainly is!)

I wish that there were someone on the order of Historic Enterprises to turn folks towards for good 16th Century clothing. Of course the fact that fashions changed so rapidly, and there were so many national variations makes doing any broad-based 16th Century sort of clothing emporium much more difficult than doing 15th.

For 17th Century, there are places like Sykes Suttlery, though: http://sykesutler.home.att.net/ Also a fair number of folks in Britain supplying ECW kit.

Cheers!

Gordon
Charles Napier
Dansknecht
Archive Member

Post by Dansknecht »

Here's a couple I've found... most of it is actually pretty good. I'd go nuts if we had an equivalent to Revival and/or HE... Sykes really needs some major updates... I guess most of the these vendors don't entirely reach the level of accuracy we'd like, but this is some of the best I've seen commercially.

http://www.linenarmor.com/Linen_Armor.html
All of the clothing is linen, so you can't really go too wrong. The doublets and jerkins all have a good Elizabethan-ish look to them. The Venetian breeches don't seem to have much of the characteristic taper to them, but you could do far far worse. The shirts look nice, & have tie closures (a very good thing).

http://www.twinrosesdesigns.com/Mens%20 ... 0Sale.html
I know a couple people who've ordered from here and the service is reputed to be excellent. Their "Renaissance Doublets" are very nice. They come in wool and with button closures- both are very rare in commercial Elizabethan stuff. For a little bit extra, they'll make matching detachable sleeves (another major plus). The sleeve lacing method uses metal grommets, but these can be overcast with thread. They'll custom fit the product to you, and you can select the fabrics (wool outer, linen lining :D). Their shirts look decent..

http://www.blockaderunner.com/Catalog/catpg16.htm
Actually an American Civil War vendor, they offer awesome blocked wool felt slouch hats for an amazing price ($18.95). When finished, these hats very closely resemble those from the Elizabethan period. Get a higher crown (6 inches +++) and either trim the brim to be very short (1-2 in.) or block them so they're curved upwards on either side (look up "Derricke's Image of Irelande" and "The Lant Roll/Funeral Procession of Sir Philip Sidney")

http://tattershallarms.org/
Really the one and only place where I've found accurate sword hangers. I purchased the six ring hanger, and love it despite some initial problems. Some of the absolute best customer service I've ever experienced. Very nice product. Avoid the baldrics (earliest image I've seen is 1588)

http://www.armlann.com/shoesandpattens.htm
Lots of good Elizabethan shoes. I plan on ordering a pair before the month is out.
Karl Helweg
Archive Member

soft kit...

Post by Karl Helweg »

This seems to be going more towards soft kits so this is my Lady Elise and myself:
Attachments
late 16th.jpg
late 16th.jpg (19.61 KiB) Viewed 15375 times
Karl
http://earngyld.org/
I am from Oertha so I am automatically cooler than you.
sha-ul
Archive Member

Re: soft kit...

Post by sha-ul »

Karl Helweg wrote:This seems to be going more towards soft kits so this is my Lady Elise and myself:
Actually I was hoping for both hard&soft kits.
So, please carry on!!!! :D
Whenever the legislators endeavor to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people, who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience
sha-ul
Archive Member

Post by sha-ul »

Gordon, could we see some more pictures of your armour,specifically the arms? also who made them? there is a dearth of accurate 16th century fan styles in the sca so I am curious.
Jonny Deuteronomy
Archive Member

Post by Jonny Deuteronomy »

Welsh Knight Errant, c1530

PERCHERON POWER! :twisted:

Tudor Soft Kit (minimum kit - working hard on a very hot day)
Kaliban (top left), Paul S. (mounted)
Last edited by Jonny Deuteronomy on Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.
It's all just goobdooberous fripdippery now.
iomtalach
Archive Member

Post by iomtalach »

Just for the halibut we whipped these up for a an A&S warpoint on the rapier field.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/44976703@N ... 189179347/

Leather because we didn't want any whining about blow calling (got it anyway.)

Currently I'm working on getting identical heavy kit, but properly constructed.
Randy Packer, Scatha Combat Guild
SCA: Dom Allvaro Ferriero de Goa
Box - Wrestle - Fence
audax
Dark Overlord Chick of the Universe

Post by audax »

iomtalach wrote:Just for the halibut we whipped these up for a an A&S warpoint on the rapier field.

Where'd you get those awesome burgonets?
Martel le Hardi
black for the darkness of the path
red for a fiery passion
white for the blinding illumination
--------------------------------------
Ursus, verily thou rocketh.
LOGOS
Archive Member

Well, really late 16th c. (17th really)

Post by LOGOS »

The buff coat, gorget , boots, and mask is mine. Sorry I had to swipe the pic.

http://www.terraefinis.org/Maidens2007/ ... age24.html

LOGOS
InsaneIrish
SQUEEE!

Post by InsaneIrish »

I don't believe those are full Death's head Burgs. Only the "face" parts, the rest look like black hoods.
Insane Irish

Quote: "Nissan Maxima"
(on Pennsic) I know that movie. It is the 13th warrior. A bunch of guys in armour that doesn't match itself or anybody elses, go on a trip and argue and get drunk and get laid and then fight Tuchux.
iomtalach
Archive Member

Post by iomtalach »

The whole rigs, including the totenkopfs, are lightweight saddle-skirting.

Don'a Lasairiona's kopf was sort of a last minute job, so it's just the face-plate with a black drape. (BTW, she did all the painting on her armour in a painfully short amount of time. She's an incredible artist.)

Esteban and I have full leather head covering. If you look close you can see how crappy it is. :) Thank god for the ten foot rule!

Actually the leather armour isn't bad looking...I've cut mine apart to re-strap it in a more period fashion, and get a better hang on the legs and arms.

It was a fun project. I can't wait to make the same thing in steel!
Randy Packer, Scatha Combat Guild
SCA: Dom Allvaro Ferriero de Goa
Box - Wrestle - Fence
Andrew Young
Archive Member

Post by Andrew Young »

Thanks for the acknoledgement and links.

Yes indeed I wish someone like Historic Enterprises or Revival Clothin would emerge. I think I recall HE having some 16th and early 17th work but dropped the line of clothing?

My theory, and I could be wrong, is simply that there are so many renn faire wannabee craftsfolk that it drowns out the serious living history ones, even those who might do stock work. And/or maybe that the type of tailoring involved jumps to rather sophisticated levels, detering much other than the high end folks like Ninya Mikhaila.
Fine Armour and Reproductions
Living History & Accurately Formed 'SCA' Grade
-----online catalog coming this spring----

http://www.partsandtechnical.com
sha-ul
Archive Member

Post by sha-ul »

iomtalach wrote:Just for the halibut we whipped these up for a an A&S warpoint on the rapier field.

very nice!!

LOGOS wrote:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:57 pm Post subject: Well, really late 16th c. (17th really)

LOGOS
please specify which number in the line up you are :wink:
Baron Alejandro
Obfuscatorial

Post by Baron Alejandro »

My kit. Soon hopefully, I will get my padded underdoublet and then there will be pics of me fighting in it.

Winterfell wrote:What shape are your feet? You are not a Velicoraptor are you? It is so hard to tell on the Internet these days.
sha-ul
Archive Member

Post by sha-ul »

I found some photos HERE in a thread titled "old-new helmet!" it is Ugo's take of a burgonet.

Rittmeister Frye
Archive Member

Sha-ul;

The arms were made by Allan Senefelder of Mercenary's Tailor. I had him use his 16th Century arms and fix them permanently to the pauldrons, since I didn't want to have to use an arming doublet and points. Thus I went with the later method. It was mostly 17th Century, but started in the 16th, so I don't feel anachronistic by using them that way. I'm also using one of his gorgets.

The breast and back are from Illusion, but modified by Allan by the addition of gussets in the arm holes. The close helmet is an ancient one made by Jay Bliss of Fresno, CA that I bought at the Burro Creek War in something like 1980 or something, with a (slightly) newer visor by Steve Moffatt (Sir Steven of Norham). Here's another shot of my armour from last year, sans helmet.

Cheers!

Gordon
Attachments
2006 Tilbury Armour.jpg
2006 Tilbury Armour.jpg (23.62 KiB) Viewed 15023 times
Charles Napier
Grimr Hvitulfsson Ulfhamr
Archive Member

Post by Grimr Hvitulfsson Ulfhamr »

Rittmeister Frye wrote:And more... I even sometimes do things dismounted! (Like shootin' things... 8))
Do you have any patterns or other useful info for the bandolier plus the apostles that you were wearing in one of these pictures? I've been meaning to make one for my landsknecht kit but haven't found good sources.

Also does anyone know where to get 16th century arquebuses? I've found places selling 14th/15th century guns as well as 17th 18th & 19th but the 16th c doesn't seem to interest anyone,

Thanks a lot already in advance!

GrimR
"My Tae Kwon Do instructor tells me I'm just two moves away from becoming quite threatening!"
- Dr. Niles Crane
Rittmeister Frye
Archive Member

Here's a photo of my shooting kit. Dale Shinn, who sadly is now retiring from the business, made my bandoliers, and they were put together by my friend Nick Worthington, who just so happens to be pictured with me. The chargers are "paired" so that one string attaches to two chargers thrugh holes in the bandolier strap, thus you can pull one of them down to facilitate loading, which pulls the other one up. Then you can pull the other down for the next shot, on down the line. Darned handy, that.

An excellent supplier of proper 16th Century matchlocks is John Buck. He can make a matchlock in just about any form you'd like to have, and if you send him a photo he can make it. He already offers a pretty wide selection of styles, and since it's his only business, he does them quickly too. Presently he is making up a few copies of the arquebuses found on the Atocha for a museum, so he understands the geometry of a good 16th Century matchlock. For international shipping, he can always make the arm without a touch hole drilled, which makes it a "non-gun". He also makes chargers for bandoliers, BTW: http://www.musketmart.com/index.html

Another excellent source for bandoliers is Paul Meekins in England. He is a major supplier for the ECW fellows there, and makes a fine product:
http://www.bandoliers.co.uk/
Attachments
Chabot 11-04.jpg
Chabot 11-04.jpg (30 KiB) Viewed 14969 times
Charles Napier
LOGOS
Archive Member

Post by LOGOS »

sha-ul wrote:please specify which number in the line up you are :wink:
I'm second from the left - leaning against the stanchion. Buff coat, cream suede doublet, brown boots, white belt, blackened steel gorget, and homemade perf steel mask.

Logos
LOGOS
Archive Member

Post by LOGOS »

LOGOS wrote:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:57 pm Post subject: Well, really late 16th c. (17th really)

LOGOS
please specify which number in the line up you are :wink:[/quote]

Another picture - in the list facing the camera

http://www.terraefinis.org/Maidens2007/ ... age21.html

Logos
Hospitaller@Acre
Archive Member

Logos..where are the boots from

Post by Hospitaller@Acre »

nice boots...how are they holding up and where did you get them? Are they the ones from Museum Replicas?
Thanks,
Edward
Sean

Post by Sean »

Here's my 16th century kits.
Attachments
My Rapier kit
My Rapier kit
12thnight07AA.jpg (89.67 KiB) Viewed 14839 times
My heavy kit
My heavy kit
seanCrownAA.jpg (78.01 KiB) Viewed 14839 times