16th century Illuminatti time to show off your kits!!!

An area for discussing methods for achieving or approximating a more authentic re-creation, for armour, soft kit, equipment, ...

Moderator: Glen K

Saritor
Archive Member

Post by Saritor »

InsaneIrish wrote: There you go Saritor. Just find out where Rittmaster lives. Go over to his house and take his stuff. :twisted:

Step 6: Take Rittmaster Frye's stuff....project done. :twisted: :twisted:
Yeah, he was one of the reasons I included Leicester in the Low countries within the time frame. Otherwise, I'd've done Essex and Blount in Ireland, or just Essex in Cadiz. ;)

I'll start working up a list for a separate post, with an added category that will have to be placed somewhere.

After thinking about while at the gym, I think that "education" is an important category that should be added somewhere in there. Not necessarily "education on what my persona would have done, and a reading list" (though a bibliography probably isn't a bad idea), but what the persona would have known/read as a member of the gentry/lesser nobility/officer.
Rittmeister Frye
Archive Member

Post by Rittmeister Frye »

Saritor wrote: After thinking about while at the gym, I think that "education" is an important category that should be added somewhere in there. Not necessarily "education on what my persona would have done, and a reading list" (though a bibliography probably isn't a bad idea), but what the persona would have known/read as a member of the gentry/lesser nobility/officer.
There WAS a nifty thread some time ago here which was on the education of a gentleman in the 16th Century, and what sorts of books he would have read, or at least been exposed to. Quite an extensive bibliography! After a brief search I wasn't able to find it, perhaps it was lost in the Great Crash, but then, perhaps some other fine fellow will put his nose to the grindstone and recover it safe and sound... it was a great thread!

Cheers!

Gordon
"He who wields the sword will be first served"
Charles Napier
sha-ul
Archive Member

Post by sha-ul »

I reckon since I started this thread I should post a picture.

more to come later
Whenever the legislators endeavor to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people, who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience
MJBlazek
Archive Member

Post by MJBlazek »

sha-ul wrote:I reckon since I started this thread I should post a picture.

more to come later

Sha-ul... where did you get that peascod?! It's nice!
Lord Alexander Clarke, Righteous Brother of the Priory of St. Colin the Dude, The Bear of Hadchester, Squire to Sir Cedric of Thanet

~Chivalry unpaired with Valor is a meal to starve a mans soul~
sha-ul
Archive Member

Post by sha-ul »

MJBlazek wrote:Sha-ul... where did you get that peascod?! It's nice!
I picked it up here from DeCalmont.
It was bare mild steel with a bit of surface rust. I used a roloc pad in a die grinder to buff off the rust. then I brushed it down with boiled linseed oil& popped it into the oven@ 400@ until the smoke cleared. much to the wifes' chagrin. :oops: but it gave a nice caramel colored finish that is also very period. :wink:
Whenever the legislators endeavor to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people, who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience
William of Stonebridge
Archive Member

Post by William of Stonebridge »

I brushed it down with boiled linseed oil& popped it into the oven@ 400@ until the smoke cleared. much to the wifes' chagrin. :oops:
That's hilarious! :lol:

Did the finish turn out sticky at all? I like the color.

Your kit is looking good. I really like the burgeonet.
Respectfully,
William
woodwose
Archive Member

Post by woodwose »

Saritor wrote: Uh...yeah.

I'm sure we're all going to think that you're a horrible person for not having a period wooden shovel with a metal-reinforced tip. ;)

In fact, your kit is SO horrible ;), I'm tempted to get your address and have someone build you a period shovel *just* so we can all look at your kit and weep at how "horrible" it is. :D
a period shovel is on my list of non-arms/armor 16th c. things to make... snowshoes and ice skates are on there too... but not enough time when I'm in school... need to find a class where I can weasel some of these in as projects :)
Flittie wrote: Dweezle, your kit deserves a far better helmet (unless that's not your regular helmet in the photo)
indeed it does. that one is a loaner. no time, no money... but I'll have some of those again someday. I've been trying to decide what kind of helm I want... maybe a close helm. maybe a late sallet. or maybe just cervelliere or skullcap kind of thing. I'm trying to do away with my articulated knees in favor of somewhat hidden stuff... I need better gauntlets too, cause these hockey gloves and big blueberry helm just fuglified an otherwise okay kit:
anyone got helm suggestions?
InsaneIrish
SQUEEE!

Post by InsaneIrish »

Dweezle wrote: anyone got helm suggestions?
A Cervelliere with big pizza hat would look particularly bad ass. Ala :
Or you could go with an early Burg.
Image Lower right hand corner.

Your rig is closer to an Alamain harness than a gothic one so a more conventional Sallet would not fit. But, maybe a a hybrid sallet?

for gauntlets that is tough. Honestly with all things considered, cost, availability, practicality, Zweihammer's gauntlet kit is probably your best bet. The gauntlets have the right feel even if they don't have the exact right look.
Insane Irish

Quote: "Nissan Maxima"
(on Pennsic) I know that movie. It is the 13th warrior. A bunch of guys in armour that doesn't match itself or anybody elses, go on a trip and argue and get drunk and get laid and then fight Tuchux.
woodwose
Archive Member

Post by woodwose »

thanks for those pics! I think that my friend who made that blue helm I currently use was thinking of one of those early burgonets when he made it but just didn't bring his armor books down to the shop while working on it... some similar lines, but not quite there in a lot of areas. I think it would look a lot better if I took the blue paint off, but for an early burg I'd rather just make a new one thats at least a bit closer to how one should look.

I use a cervellier and big hat for rapier, and kind of like that idea... the hat is great for keeping the sun off my helm. I'm thinking of some ways to cover the parts below the skull of that kind of helm. it could end up more like a close helm that looks like a cervellier and arming cap, with the hat over that.

I've also been liking those hybrid sallets since the time I first saw one when Nissan had a post about one he was going to have made.

hmmm... all seem like equally nice options. I've also been looking at those zweihammer gauntlet kits.. I'd want to see them in person, I think they look a little clunky. though I suppose I could get them and sell them off if I put them together and don't like them. Right now having perfect looking gauntlets isn't too important to me, as long as they don't weigh a ton, fit me, and keep my hands from being broken... and don't cost a ton... but I think wishing for all of that at once is being a bit too hopeful.
InsaneIrish
SQUEEE!

Post by InsaneIrish »

Mattmaus was selling a super sweet early burg hybrid a couple weeks ago on the classifieds. $200 + shipping. It would look super spiff with your rig.
Insane Irish

(on Pennsic) I know that movie. It is the 13th warrior. A bunch of guys in armour that doesn't match itself or anybody elses, go on a trip and argue and get drunk and get laid and then fight Tuchux.
Chris - GSMBristol
Archive Member

Post by Chris - GSMBristol »

Finally a picture that shows up with me in at least partial harness:
Attachments
2826008481_9c0043377d.jpg
2826008481_9c0043377d.jpg (47.46 KiB) Viewed 4450 times
Rittmeister Frye
Archive Member

Chris;

Where are your sleeves, young man?! Put them on IMMEDIATELY!

:D

Nice looking armour... looks familiar, in fact! 8)

Cheers!

Gordon
Charles Napier
Baron Alejandro
Obfuscatorial

Post by Baron Alejandro »

Nice, Chris!
Winterfell wrote:What shape are your feet? You are not a Velicoraptor are you? It is so hard to tell on the Internet these days.
Chris - GSMBristol
Archive Member

Post by Chris - GSMBristol »

Rittmeister Frye wrote:Chris;

Where are your sleeves, young man?! Put them on IMMEDIATELY!

:D

Nice looking armour... looks familiar, in fact! 8)

Cheers!

Gordon
At 95 degrees, I opted for sans sleeves sir! I know, taking liberties and all, and setting a bad example for the lads.

Thank you Baron! I have a cabasset that is not in the picture that I wear with it as well. Still trying to find good yet affordable arms (I have pauldrons) to go with it to do a true half harness.
Rittmeister Frye
Archive Member

Chris - GSMBristol wrote: At 95 degrees, I opted for sans sleeves sir! I know, taking liberties and all, and setting a bad example for the lads.

Thank you Baron! I have a cabasset that is not in the picture that I wear with it as well. Still trying to find good yet affordable arms (I have pauldrons) to go with it to do a true half harness.
No worries, I may well have done the same myself. Almost anything but linen or very thin wool in such heat and humidity is hard to bear. Ugh... but someone has to give you a hard time about it, so it might as well be me! :D

Per vambraces (i.e. vambrace, rerebrace, couters etc.) give Allan Senefelder a call, or check out his website at Mercenary's Tailor. Pretty decent look, reasonable price, great delivery time. Not perfect, but pretty darned good for the cost. That's what I have.

Anyway, nice kit, you always look good, me lad!

Cheers!

Gordon
Charles Napier
sha-ul
Archive Member

Post by sha-ul »

Dweezle wrote:
Saritor wrote: Uh...yeah.

I'm sure we're all going to think that you're a horrible person for not having a period wooden shovel with a metal-reinforced tip. ;)

In fact, your kit is SO horrible ;), I'm tempted to get your address and have someone build you a period shovel *just* so we can all look at your kit and weep at how "horrible" it is. :D
a period shovel is on my list of non-arms/armor 16th c. things to make... snowshoes and ice skates are on there too... but not enough time when I'm in school... need to find a class where I can weasel some of these in as projects :)
Flittie wrote: Dweezle, your kit deserves a far better helmet (unless that's not your regular helmet in the photo)
indeed it does. that one is a loaner. no time, no money... but I'll have some of those again someday. I've been trying to decide what kind of helm I want... maybe a close helm. maybe a late sallet. or maybe just cervelliere or skullcap kind of thing. I'm trying to do away with my articulated knees in favor of somewhat hidden stuff... I need better gauntlets too, cause these hockey gloves and big blueberry helm just fuglified an otherwise okay kit:
anyone got helm suggestions?
Dweezle, what about modifying your helm above using a hat such as the one posted earlier? Image
the bar grill would still simulate the open face aspect of it, but the hat would hide much of it's inequities. btw I found the knee pads most jarring of all, I hardly notices the gloves....
Baron Alejandro
Obfuscatorial

I"m going to deviate from sha-ul's suggestion and say don't go for the hat. I've seen people try to 'costume' up armour and I've never seen anybody successfully do it right. Who knows! I haven't seen every suit of armour evar, so I will probably get proved wrong quite soon...

Would a bellows-faced sallet be too early? There's also a good ol' trusty burgeonet. I lurves mine.

If I can make a suggestion, Dweezle, your hidden knees in that pic could stand a coat of matte black spray paint to take down those shiny shiny rivetty bits. An easy fix that would take care of an annoying detail. Keep posting pics as your kit develops! You are well on your way to looking uber-sharp!

EDITED TO ADD;

I was going back over this thread to drool on some Late Period pr0n, and I remembered I promised action shots. Vitus took one of me this last pennsic just before Freiman the Minstrel & I get all cobra-and-mongoose. I dig the way my profile looks in this; my friends joke that I can keep a sammich, my car keys, and some ice in my peascod.

I still wanted a quilted underdoublet, but I had the breastplate refitted so it doesn't give me such wicked crescent bruises around my shoulder sockets.

Kit in action - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8PHTwmRPHw

Note to self - take more than one helmet crest to pennsic. :lol:

Stuff to improve - Get voiders (butchers chain?) and pauldrons to wear for pretty occasions. Get better boots. A nicer belt with a proper hangar for my apuñala de puerco.
Winterfell wrote:What shape are your feet? You are not a Velicoraptor are you? It is so hard to tell on the Internet these days.
InsaneIrish
SQUEEE!

Post by InsaneIrish »

Baron Alejandro wrote:
Would a bellows-faced sallet be too early? There's also a good ol' trusty burgeonet. I lurves mine.
Actually no:

Although, I only found that 1 suit with maximillian style armour and the bellows visored Sallet. Every other suit pic I have has either a maximillian style close helm or late period Armet with bellows visor. Now the Besegews on his rig lend it to even later period than the pic posted, THOSE rigs have close helm/Burgeonet hybrid style helms with the rigs.
If I can make a suggestion, Dweezle, your hidden knees in that pic could stand a coat of matte black spray paint to take down those shiny shiny rivetty bits. An easy fix that would take care of an annoying detail. Keep posting pics as your kit develops! You are well on your way to looking uber-sharp!
Or, wrapping the knees in the same color cloth as your hosen to hide them. That would work to.
Insane Irish

brewer
Archive Member

Post by brewer »

Rittmeister Frye wrote:
Durasteel Corporation wrote:Curiously.....there are a growing number of 14th and 15th century living history costume providers but the 16th and 17th century costume field seems to me, to be dominated by renn-faire/fantasy/casually accurate costume makers (ie, Museum Replicas).

Who do serious living history members recommend as the better of the 16th century costume makers....folks who "document" their work, etc.
You're dead on the money there, as I can't think of a single supplier who I could really recommend to anyone for 16th Century clothing (other than some REALLY expensive tailors!) 15th Century, 17th Century no problem. 16th Century? Forget it. :cry:

BTW, I would LOVE to hear of a good sutler for such goods, as I sure as heck can't find anyone to recommend to the many folks who ask me about it. Most of the suppliers I've seen either on the web or in person hawk such horrid travesties that I couldn't possibly recommend them in good conscience.

Cheers,

Gordon
I cannot recommend "off-the-rack" sutlers, alas. I can verify, however, that any of our patterns (see my sig) for C16 will make up into historically-accurate garments lickety-split. If you can find a seamstress/tailor, or have the ability to thread a needle (yeah, they're that simple to make!), visit our Patterns page and click on your choice in the menu bar - Tudor, German, Elizabethan or ECW/Cavalier.

Moreover, here's a secret: If you've found a pattern or patterns that'll make the outfit you're seeking, have the sewing skills of an octopus and no pet tailor, we can make anything for which we have a pattern to your measurements. Click here for details.

Cheers!

Bob
Reconstructing History - The finest historical clothing and patterns on the market!
kirtle - cotehardie - medieval dress pattern
"Could you please move, you're blocking my awesomeness" - Halvgrimr
Rittmeister Frye
Archive Member

Good to know, thanks Bob! I wasn't aware that you can make up the actual garments you have the patterns for. Excellent!

Cheers!

Gordon
Charles Napier
Dansknecht
Archive Member

Post by Dansknecht »

Here's a couple of my soft kit... I don't have any sort of hard kit other than a buckler.

The doublet is entirely hand-sewn (the brown venetians are half hand-sewn and have wrapped thread buttons & pockets). The musket and cassock are borrowed. :P
Attachments
Musket.jpg
Musket.jpg (61.42 KiB) Viewed 2714 times
Meee.jpg
Meee.jpg (20.36 KiB) Viewed 4147 times
Dansknecht
Archive Member

Post by Dansknecht »

Here's another...
Attachments
New.jpg
New.jpg (35.61 KiB) Viewed 4145 times
DietrichUhl
Archive Member

Post by DietrichUhl »

Here is my kit as it stands.
I just got a new helm to replace the old way out of period helm.

I need to get some soft kit photos at some point.
Jon Eppler
Archive Member

1588 Muster Ttraining Day

Post by Jon Eppler »

Marc Carlson, Me, Harry Simon.

Photo by Marc Carlson
Baron Alejandro
Obfuscatorial

Dietrich,

looking SHARP!! So few people rock the waffenrock. There was one gent back home in Atlantia who did it too - slender fellow, name escapes me. Anyway, keep it up!

Frye,

That was my thread, I started it. Let me dig around and see if I can find it again. I hope it wasn't lost in the Great Crash, but if it was, we'll just start another one. :D
Rittmeister Frye wrote: There WAS a nifty thread some time ago here which was on the education of a gentleman in the 16th Century, and what sorts of books he would have read, or at least been exposed to. Quite an extensive bibliography! After a brief search I wasn't able to find it, perhaps it was lost in the Great Crash, but then, perhaps some other fine fellow will put his nose to the grindstone and recover it safe and sound... it was a great thread!
EDITED TO ADD; Well that didn't take long!

http://forums.armourarchive.org/phpBB2/ ... ?p=1211195
Rittmeister Frye
Archive Member

Excellent work, my good Baron! Thank you!

Cheers!

Gordon
Charles Napier
wcanne
Archive Member

16c kits contd

Post by wcanne »

Greetings,
To keep the thread going:
Here is me in my waffenrock, and a few of me in other clothing in the same set ( http://flickr.com/photos/wcanne/sets/72157604521162523 ).
I've been taking some inspiration, and having a large amount of envy, with the pictures at this website:
http://mdz10.bib-bvb.de/~db/ausgaben/th ... 5&seite=90
There are a large number of excellent depictions of waffenrocks in there.
When finances allow, I'd like to get some proper Max. arms. I also have a burgonet I bought last year to replace my strictly functional one. :)
-Clewin Kupferhelbelinc.
James B.
Archive Member

Post by James B. »

The wife and I at 12th night in Tudor (1530s):

James B.
In the SCA: Master James de Biblesworth
Archer in La Belle Compagnie
Historic Life
sha-ul
Archive Member

Post by sha-ul »

lookin' sharp there :wink:
Effingham
Archive Member

Post by Effingham »

Hey, James -- you guys give good Tudor. :)

Effingham
Webpage: http://www.sengokudaimyo.com
Custom avatars: http://sengokudaimyo.com/avatarbiz.html
SENGOKU DAIMYO ONLINE SHOP: http://www.cafepress.com/sengokudaimyo
Grand Cross of the Order of the Laurel: http://www.cafepress.com/laurelorder
InsaneIrish
SQUEEE!

Re: 16c kits contd

Post by InsaneIrish »

wcanne wrote:Greetings,
Here is me in my waffenrock, and a few of me in other clothing in the same set ( http://flickr.com/photos/wcanne/sets/72157604521162523 ).
I've been taking some inspiration, and having a large amount of envy, with the pictures at this website:
When finances allow, I'd like to get some proper Max. arms. I also have a burgonet I bought last year to replace my strictly functional one. :)
-Clewin Kupferhelbelinc.
Dude, nice Rock. Looks sharp.

The heraldic tabard is a bit off though. It kind of messes with the look.
Insane Irish

Uadahlrich
Archive Member

Post by Uadahlrich »

wcanne wrote:Greetings,
-Clewin Kupferhelbelinc.
Hiya Clewin. Wilkommen to the Archive.
wcanne
Archive Member

Post by wcanne »

InsaneIrish wrote: The heraldic tabard is a bit off though. It kind of messes with the look.
I know. The tabard was just a temporary fix until we had time to make a proper household-colored panel.

Und, hallo Uadahlrich. :D
-Clewin Kupferhelbelinc

Reform on "Beer!"
Baron Alejandro
Obfuscatorial

DietrichUhl!! paint your shield! :D
Baron Alejandro
Obfuscatorial

James B. wrote:The wife and I at 12th night in Tudor (1530s):
Good GRIEF who is that ugly tart in a frock next to Baroness Katharine! :lol: :lol: