16th century Illuminatti time to show off your kits!!!

An area for discussing methods for achieving or approximating a more authentic re-creation, for armour, soft kit, equipment, ...

Moderator: Glen K

James B.
Archive Member

Post by James B. »

Baron Alejandro wrote:Good GRIEF who is that ugly tart in a frock next to Baroness Katharine! :lol: :lol:
You know you are jelous of my silk satin gown lined in silk :twisted:
James B.
In the SCA: Master James de Biblesworth
Archer in La Belle Compagnie
Historic Life
MJBlazek
Archive Member

Post by MJBlazek »

Somewhere there is a picture of a guy wearing an absolutely GORGEOUS Landschnekt harness with a raven etched on the back of it.
Wish I could find that pic
Lord Alexander Clarke, Righteous Brother of the Priory of St. Colin the Dude, The Bear of Hadchester, Squire to Sir Cedric of Thanet

~Chivalry unpaired with Valor is a meal to starve a mans soul~
Baron Alejandro
Obfuscatorial

Post by Baron Alejandro »

James B. wrote: You know you are jelous of my silk satin gown lined in silk :twisted:
It's true! You're <a href="www.youtube.com/watch?v=plUy7Me_fZQ">big pimpin'!</a>
Winterfell wrote:What shape are your feet? You are not a Velicoraptor are you? It is so hard to tell on the Internet these days.
Balin50
Archive Member

Post by Balin50 »

Here are a bunch of pics:)

Me old soft.

A bunch of the unit Eber Huaer

More of my old soft kit (its grape juice i swear)

Im on the right

my squire

Unit guys in court

Another squire

"hi we are security you guys will have to keep it down" LOL

keeping the camp safe.

Where O where has my Siggy gone...

Fresh from the fight

Kampfraus what would we do without them?

Provost court

Eber Huaer Estrella 08

Always tryign to get better :)

Ritter Balin
Hauptmann
We're going to hold on to him by the nose and we're going to kick him in the ass, We're going to kick the hell out of him all the time and we're going to go through him like crap through a goose.
Patton
Balin50
Archive Member

Post by Balin50 »

Damn here is siggy and us estrella 08

We're going to hold on to him by the nose and we're going to kick him in the ass, We're going to kick the hell out of him all the time and we're going to go through him like crap through a goose.
Patton
Baron Alejandro
Obfuscatorial

GREAT pics! I know that InsaneIrish is rolling around on the floor in squeeing fanboi glee over those!
Winterfell wrote:What shape are your feet? You are not a Velicoraptor are you? It is so hard to tell on the Internet these days.
InsaneIrish
SQUEEE!

Post by InsaneIrish »

Baron Alejandro wrote:GREAT pics! I know that InsaneIrish is rolling around on the floor in squeeing fanboi glee over those!
LOL, something like that. :)

Actually I was sitting here thinking "man, I have GOT to get to Estrella". :)
Insane Irish

Quote: "Nissan Maxima"
(on Pennsic) I know that movie. It is the 13th warrior. A bunch of guys in armour that doesn't match itself or anybody elses, go on a trip and argue and get drunk and get laid and then fight Tuchux.
Balin50
Archive Member

Post by Balin50 »

Thanks that means alot we have been working on upping our look i think our ghetto(non period tent area) is down to 3 mundane tents this year we are almost there. Now if i could get our volley gun back though we might have a cannon for camp this year.

Balin
Patton
InsaneIrish
SQUEEE!

Post by InsaneIrish »

I've been wanting to build a Landsknecht War Wagon as a camper for SCA events:

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f399/theHODY/wwv.jpg

http://picasaweb.google.com/stil.picasa ... 4519956466

I think it could be done and man what an awesome set up for camping in.

maybe after I win the lottery. ;)
Insane Irish

(on Pennsic) I know that movie. It is the 13th warrior. A bunch of guys in armour that doesn't match itself or anybody elses, go on a trip and argue and get drunk and get laid and then fight Tuchux.
Balin50
Archive Member

Post by Balin50 »

AWESOME we werre going to build a wagon for this year but could not find a pic of one we liked...think we have now :D there are a bunch of sites that sell wagon wheels for about 80 bucks a pop for 36" might have been 48".

We will be at Pennsic this year though our camp will be small we'll just bring the big tent and barracks lodging for us but we will be there hope to see you guys.

Balin
Patton
Baron Alejandro
Obfuscatorial

It really, really looks like the entire Kingdom of Atenveldt was completely over-run by uber-accurate crazy german types. Me likee!

Just keep them there, willya? :P
Uadahlrich
Archive Member

Post by Uadahlrich »

That's a nice looking bunch of Landsknecht. Well done.
Dragon_Argent
Archive Member

Post by Dragon_Argent »

As a new upcoming member of the 16thC Illuminati I have enjoyed very much reading the posts here!
I have been doing 14thC, Wars of the Roses and Jousting (which I will continue with my new period) for many many years and I am finding 16thC to be astonishingly rich and varied.
I am helping to found a new group concentrating on the Battle of Pavia and this includes ALL troop types, infantry artillery and cavalry. Any advice is most welcome...
Rittmeister Frye
Archive Member

Post by Rittmeister Frye »

My early attempt at Cavalry... it didn't work out too well.

Cheers!

Gordon
Attachments
Landsknechte Cavalry.jpg
Landsknechte Cavalry.jpg (56.02 KiB) Viewed 4189 times
"He who wields the sword will be first served"
Charles Napier
Jonny Deuteronomy
Archive Member

Post by Jonny Deuteronomy »

:shock:
It's all just goobdooberous fripdippery now.
James B.
Archive Member

Post by James B. »

Why do I feel you should be jousting a windmill in that picture? :lol:
James B.
In the SCA: Master James de Biblesworth
Archer in La Belle Compagnie
Historic Life
Balin50
Archive Member

Post by Balin50 »

its an economy horse. :lol:
Patton
James Arlen Gillaspie
Archive Member

Post by James Arlen Gillaspie »

Here's the gauntlets that go with the harness I posted earlier.
Attachments
16thCenturyGauntlets.jpg
16thCenturyGauntlets.jpg (27.26 KiB) Viewed 4067 times
sha-ul
Archive Member

Post by sha-ul »

James Arlen Gillaspie wrote:Here's the gauntlets that go with the harness I posted earlier.
Pretty!
Whenever the legislators endeavor to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people, who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience
Dragon_Argent
Archive Member

Post by Dragon_Argent »

I think I need a cold shower now! :shock:
Lovely work James!

Can you knock me up one of these:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2244/204 ... 22.jpg?v=0
when you get a spare moment??? :) :lol: :wink:
sha-ul
Archive Member

Post by sha-ul »

Dragon_Argent wrote:I think I need a cold shower now! :shock:
Lovely work James!

Can you knock me up one of these:
when you get a spare moment??? :) :lol: :wink:
Whenever the legislators endeavor to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people, who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience
wcanne
Archive Member

Nice

Post by wcanne »

James Arlen Gillaspie wrote:Here's the gauntlets that go with the harness I posted earlier.
I almost had a handgasm there...

You know what I want for myself? The two-fingered gauntlets shown in those pictures I linked to earlier in the thread.
Example:
[img]http://mailmaker.tripod.com/hofkleiderbuch/138.jpg[/img]
Last edited by wcanne on Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
-Clewin Kupferhelbelinc

Reform on "Beer!"
Baron Alejandro
Obfuscatorial

Does anybody notice that the above picture only has two pieces of steel showing? And big puffy elbows & knees....suitable for hiding Society-style ones.....

That picture screams 'Easy Way To do 16th Cen. without Breaking The Bank'. You'd only really have to spring for a snappy helm and good gauntlets.
GvR
Archive Member

Post by GvR »

Actually Baron, that is exactly what I am doing. At least until my buddy who is good with steel gets back from Iraq. Landsknecht clothing is GREAT for hiding ugly armor bits.
Respectfully,
Gerhard von Ravensberg

It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first. R.A.H.
Dragon_Argent
Archive Member

Post by Dragon_Argent »

But how does he close his visor without catching his mustachios?
Baron Alejandro
Obfuscatorial

WvK wrote:Actually Baron, that is exactly what I am doing. At least until my buddy who is good with steel gets back from Iraq. Landsknecht clothing is GREAT for hiding ugly armor bits.
If you don't post pics I will drive to where you are, buy one of those really hard summer sausages from the local grocery store, and give you a black eye with it!
InsaneIrish
SQUEEE!

Post by InsaneIrish »

Baron Alejandro wrote:
WvK wrote:Actually Baron, that is exactly what I am doing. At least until my buddy who is good with steel gets back from Iraq. Landsknecht clothing is GREAT for hiding ugly armor bits.
If you don't post pics I will drive to where you are, buy one of those really hard summer sausages from the local grocery store, and give you a black eye with it!
You know, in some places you pay extra for that.... :twisted:

BTW, I will drive the Baron to your house if you don't post pics.
Insane Irish

patric
Archive Member

Post by patric »

whats the date on that last picture posted? is he wearing footed hose, without shoes? like the ones with soles, seen in earlier centuries. and how bout a time frame on those gauntlets? other examples?

judging by the hose with the slashed knees, my first guess would be 1500 to 1520. they look early henrican (in england) to me. then again, im not nearly as familiar with that side of 1500 as the other, nor with that part of the continent.
Old December Designs

Historic Clothing and Accessories
Rittmeister Frye
Archive Member

Post by Rittmeister Frye »

Dragon_Argent wrote:But how does he close his visor without catching his mustachios?
It ain't easy, believe me. One of the worst things in the world is to have to charge your opponent in the tilt with your mustachios caught in your visor! Tends to distract one's concentration!

Patric wrote:whats the date on that last picture posted? is he wearing footed hose, without shoes? like the ones with soles, seen in earlier centuries.
Those are leather boots, rather than footed hose. Not that there is a huge amount of difference other than in the choice of material, but note the spurs and lance: all for a mounted man. With the "cow's mouth" toes, definitely pukkah for the early-to-mid-16th Century

Cheers!

Gordon
"He who wields the sword will be first served"
Charles Napier
Dragon_Argent
Archive Member

Post by Dragon_Argent »

Yeah they sure look like long boots to me!
Rod Walker
Archive Member

Post by Rod Walker »

Found these from back in 2004

God keep you Rod. So few people hear the call of madness so clearly and follow it so loyally. - Jehan de Pelham

More attitude than a Lesbian Manhater with a nice pair and a Peachy Arse.

Wyvern Leather Works on Facebook
Wyvern Leather Works
GvR
Archive Member

Post by GvR »

InsaneIrish wrote:
Baron Alejandro wrote:
You know, in some places you pay extra for that.... :twisted:

BTW, I will drive the Baron to your house if you don't post pics.

I will post pics as things get done. But please bear in mind that I am a sewing newb and the ugly bits are coming from a plastic barrel. I can't wait 8 months for my buddy to get home and help me make the metal parts which will then go on the outside and replace the hidden ugly plastic bits.

On a positive side, the Landsknecht patterns available from Reconstructing History and very good and simple to understand and also easily modified for variations.

Due to the economy and the price of wool, this fighting kit will be constructed from hvy linen while the later court garb will be made of wool and PN proof.
Respectfully,
Gerhard von Ravensberg

It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first. R.A.H.
woodwose
Archive Member

Post by woodwose »

Dragon_Argent wrote:But how does he close his visor without catching his mustachios?
mine does not yet have the length for me to have any experience, but I'd say tuck them into the side/cheek plates :)

for anyone interested in images from that book, I put them all in an album here:
http://mailmaker.tripod.com/hofkleiderbuch/

I find it a little easier to look through that way. there is a little link below each image that will take you to the full size image.

steel helm, and gauntlets, but don't forget about his mail undies.

nice group balin! I'm looking forward to getting back to one of the larger SCA wars where there are more landsknecht portrayals
InsaneIrish
SQUEEE!

Post by InsaneIrish »

WvK wrote: Due to the economy and the price of wool, this fighting kit will be constructed from hvy linen while the later court garb will be made of wool and PN proof.
You will be happier making it out of linen anyway. Linen will hold up MUCH better to the rigors of SCA combat than wool.
Insane Irish

Dragon_Argent
Archive Member

Swordbelt straps

Post by Dragon_Argent »

Can any of you good folks show me good configurations for a 1520s (cavalry style) longsword belt?