16th century Illuminatti time to show off your kits!!!

An area for discussing methods for achieving or approximating a more authentic re-creation, for armour, soft kit, equipment, ...

Moderator: Glen K

LOGOS
Archive Member

Boots

Post by LOGOS »

Yes they are Museum Replica's - they're actually pretty cheap and falling apart, although I admit I'm tough on them. I had to cut them down to a proper length because I'm short, but YMMV. My squire is taller than me and his are still too long IMHO. I didn't like the instep straps so I cut them off and use a fake spur harness instead.

They are not true welt construction but just glued, so they can't be repaired. The soles are leather, but thin. I've worm at least one hole in the soles and have struggled to keep the heels on. Just this weekend, the sole on the left one separated back to the heel. I'm tired of gluing bits back together so I'm giving up on this pair and consigning them to my scrap bin. My squire got his a while after mine and they seem a little thicker, so I'm getting another pair just to have for demos and for cut and thrust.

If you really want a pair of bucket tops they're OK for the money and certainly better than those black rubber sole renboot abominations, but they won't last forever.

Anymore I usually wear my latchet shoes that I had custom made from Running Iron outfitters that cost less than the boots and are proper period construction - that is, they fit like a glove and can be repaired.

LOGOS
Rittmeister Frye
Archive Member

Post by Rittmeister Frye »

Logos; NICE buff coat, and nice kit all around! Thanks for posting those shots. It would be nice if other folks would take the same efforts that you do towards a decent rapier-fighting kit.

Sean; Lookin' good! I'm glad you're finally posting! Musketeer, Targeteer and Bravo! Excellent, and fine looking kit besides... And I'm happy to see you here! :)

Cheers!

Gordon
"He who wields the sword will be first served"
Charles Napier
sha-ul
Archive Member

Post by sha-ul »

LOGOS wrote:
sha-ul wrote:please specify which number in the line up you are :wink:
I'm second from the left - leaning against the stanchion. Buff coat, cream suede doublet, brown boots, white belt, blackened steel gorget, and homemade perf steel mask.

Logos
was that your left or mine? :wink:

logos wrote:Another picture - in the list facing the camera

http://www.terraefinis.org/Maidens2007/ ... age21.html

Logos
this pic?
Whenever the legislators endeavor to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people, who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience
AaronCarter
Archive Member

Re: Boots

Post by AaronCarter »

LOGOS wrote:Yes they are Museum Replica's - they're actually pretty cheap and falling apart, although I admit I'm tough on them. I had to cut them down to a proper length because I'm short, but YMMV. My squire is taller than me and his are still too long IMHO. I didn't like the instep straps so I cut them off and use a fake spur harness instead.

They are not true welt construction but just glued, so they can't be repaired. The soles are leather, but thin. I've worm at least one hole in the soles and have struggled to keep the heels on. Just this weekend, the sole on the left one separated back to the heel. I'm tired of gluing bits back together so I'm giving up on this pair and consigning them to my scrap bin. My squire got his a while after mine and they seem a little thicker, so I'm getting another pair just to have for demos and for cut and thrust.

If you really want a pair of bucket tops they're OK for the money and certainly better than those black rubber sole renboot abominations, but they won't last forever.

Anymore I usually wear my latchet shoes that I had custom made from Running Iron outfitters that cost less than the boots and are proper period construction - that is, they fit like a glove and can be repaired.

LOGOS
I've had mine resoled 3 times, going on 4years, and am just starting to run through the uppers. :( The first soles that came with them were poor and wore through in about a month, but I found a local shop with a stitching machine that could handle the depth and have been happy ever since :D
Sean

Post by Sean »

Rittmeister Frye wrote: Sean; Lookin' good! I'm glad you're finally posting! Musketeer, Targeteer and Bravo! Excellent, and fine looking kit besides... And I'm happy to see you here! :)

Cheers!

Gordon
I just noticed that I've been on the forum for almost 7 years, with only 16 posts. Yeah, I'm a bit of a lurker. :-)

-sean
Hospitaller@Acre
Archive Member

Logos...bucket boot Question

Post by Hospitaller@Acre »

I am going to be going to the Philippines in 2 weeks..cobblers there are cheap ..I mean CHEAP!!! Do you think I could get them to resole a brand new pair and they would hold up better? If yours are going to go into the scrap bin..would you like to sell them I can take them over there for a cobbler to use as a pattern..then again ..how period is water buffalo bucket boots...they are..the spanish had the P.I. in the 1500's..LOL.
Thanks
Baron Alejandro
Obfuscatorial

Post by Baron Alejandro »

P.S. - Rittmaster Frye I hate you in the best possible way, and I am sending ninjas over to steal your gear. Please leave them cookies. :wink:

P.P.S - Oh, how I WISH SO HARD that I could get enough 16th Cen Illuminati to Pennsic to do a deed of arms. I have a great one about 'love hanged' that i can document to the late 1500's. At barriers, even.
Winterfell wrote:What shape are your feet? You are not a Velicoraptor are you? It is so hard to tell on the Internet these days.
sha-ul
Archive Member

Post by sha-ul »

Baron Alejandro wrote:P.P.S - Oh, how I WISH SO HARD that I could get enough 16th Cen Illuminati to Pennsic to do a deed of arms. I have a great one about 'love hanged' that i can document to the late 1500's. At barriers, even.
maybe some day soon I could take you up on this
Whenever the legislators endeavor to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people, who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience
Tibbie Croser
Archive Member

Post by Tibbie Croser »

Gordon, the picture of you titled Tilbury 2006 is wonderful. You look like a painting. I like your period facial hair.

Does the person who mentioned Running Iron outfitters have contact info for them?
LOGOS
Archive Member

Re: Logos...bucket boot Question

Post by LOGOS »

Hospitaller@Acre wrote:I am going to be going to the Philippines in 2 weeks..cobblers there are cheap ..I mean CHEAP!!! Do you think I could get them to resole a brand new pair and they would hold up better? If yours are going to go into the scrap bin..would you like to sell them I can take them over there for a cobbler to use as a pattern..then again ..how period is water buffalo bucket boots...they are..the spanish had the P.I. in the 1500's..LOL.
Thanks
I could, but I think there are better boot patterns out there? I don't think the leather is an issue, they used cow, moose, or just about anything that was thick enough. The real problem is that bucket tops are 17th century - I've never seen any 16th century ones. I've seen a thigh hi's but they were 1 or 2 piece tops that fit tight. I intentionally push the 16th c. envelope because the cut off was 1650 when I joined - I 've done all this work on early 17th c. and I refuse to give it up. I guess I am offically a vistor like all the samurai. When they start cracking down on the pirates, plaid kilt wearing scotsmen, etc., I'll go Elizabethan.

Anyway, I couldn't find a shop that would resole the MR's because of their construction. Maybe cobblers in this area are so busy they can be fussy.
LOGOS
Archive Member

Post by LOGOS »

Flittie wrote:Does the person who mentioned Running Iron outfitters have contact info for them?
http://www.running-iron.com/militaryboots.html
James B.
Archive Member

Post by James B. »

Logos

What is the cost of the Running Iron outfitters shoes and is the leather for the upper part of the shoe suede or is it vegitable tanned leather split side out?

I ask because the split side out is the proper leather and you can get hand stitched versions from the Practical Goose for around $100.
James B.
In the SCA: Master James de Biblesworth
Archer in La Belle Compagnie
Historic Life
LOGOS
Archive Member

Post by LOGOS »

Mine were $130.00 custom made. They are split side out, I think they are veg tan. Be forewarned: the heels are hobnailed - I pulled the nails and had a thin rubber heel pad installed.

I don't know Practical Goose's shoes - that's a great price if they are any good at all.
iomtalach
Archive Member

Post by iomtalach »

Sean wrote:Here's my 16th century kits.

Oh yeah!

You suck too!!!

Damn you and Gordon. Just...Damn you.

Ah well. Today I blacken my breastplate, and then start applying the nice pattern in white/silver, then add a little hidden armour to the 'rock.

I'll catch up by god. I will.
Randy Packer, Scatha Combat Guild
SCA: Dom Allvaro Ferriero de Goa
Box - Wrestle - Fence
James B.
Archive Member

Post by James B. »

LOGOS wrote:I don't know Practical Goose's shoes - that's a great price if they are any good at all.
The Practical Goose is not a shoe maker they have them made by someone and they sell many different items including clothing and black powder supplies. They are at Pennsic so look them up if you go this year. Flittie they normally come to MTT if you drop by this year.
James B.
In the SCA: Master James de Biblesworth
Archer in La Belle Compagnie
Historic Life
Rittmeister Frye
Archive Member

Baron Alejandro wrote:P.S. - Rittmaster Frye I hate you in the best possible way, and I am sending ninjas over to steal your gear. Please leave them cookies. :wink:

P.P.S - Oh, how I WISH SO HARD that I could get enough 16th Cen Illuminati to Pennsic to do a deed of arms. I have a great one about 'love hanged' that i can document to the late 1500's. At barriers, even.
Thank you, my good Baron. I shall indeed leave cookies out for them. Just let me know, and I'll leave out my "2nd Best kit". Can't be loosing everything, you know. 8)

Per Pennsic, well, "one of these days..." :)

Flittie, Thank you, Ma'm. Thankfully at my job I'm just seen as a crusty eccentric and can get away with my whiskers. :D

Cheers!

Gordon
Charles Napier
Dansknecht
Archive Member

Post by Dansknecht »

Gordon- do you have the pics of your targeteer kit? They were lost when AA went down :(

On a side note, I should have pics of my kit in a couple weeks... :P
Rittmeister Frye
Archive Member

Dansknecht:

Certainly, I'm happy to oblige.

Cheers!

Gordon
Attachments
Targeteer.jpg
Targeteer.jpg (35.69 KiB) Viewed 5843 times
Charles Napier
Chris - GSMBristol
Archive Member

Post by Chris - GSMBristol »

Look at you Gordon in a nice Bristol Red Coat! Just add some blue, white and yellow trim and you could even pass for one of the Bande! :)
Attachments
100_1193_2.JPG
100_1193_2.JPG (96.58 KiB) Viewed 5824 times
Saint-Sever
Archive Member

Post by Saint-Sever »

Gordon, when we get settled and I get my studio re-established, I may have to try painting a portrait of you based on this photo.

M.
Rittmeister Frye wrote:Sha-ul;

The arms were made by Allan Senefelder of Mercenary's Tailor. I had him use his 16th Century arms and fix them permanently to the pauldrons, since I didn't want to have to use an arming doublet and points. Thus I went with the later method. It was mostly 17th Century, but started in the 16th, so I don't feel anachronistic by using them that way. I'm also using one of his gorgets.

The breast and back are from Illusion, but modified by Allan by the addition of gussets in the arm holes. The close helmet is an ancient one made by Jay Bliss of Fresno, CA that I bought at the Burro Creek War in something like 1980 or something, with a (slightly) newer visor by Steve Moffatt (Sir Steven of Norham). Here's another shot of my armour from last year, sans helmet.

Cheers!

Gordon
Rittmeister Frye
Archive Member

Saint-Sever wrote:Gordon, when we get settled and I get my studio re-established, I may have to try painting a portrait of you based on this photo.

M.
That would be great, Mike! I'd love to have you do that! How cool... 8)

Cheers!

Gordon
Charles Napier
Rittmeister Frye
Archive Member

Chris - GSMBristol wrote:Look at you Gordon in a nice Bristol Red Coat! Just add some blue, white and yellow trim and you could even pass for one of the Bande! :)
Chris;

HA! I think I'll be putting gold thread upon it for proper trim, thank you very much. Officer coat and all that, you know. But of course if you are in need of such, I suppose that I could... 8)

Ah, and those handsome chaps in their friar-grey cloaks are rather familiar looking, I must say. I hosted some of them this past weekend for a Pike, Shotte and Horse drill. :) And we're growing our ranks of Shotte too, what with four more chaps getting ready to order matchlock calivers! That will allow us to muster EIGHT Shotte! WOO HOO!

(What the Hell am I saying here? Those guys can give hurt to horsemen a long ways away!!!! Gads... :shock: )

Cheers!

Gordon
Charles Napier
audax
Dark Overlord Chick of the Universe

Post by audax »

iomtalach wrote:The whole rigs, including the totenkopfs, are lightweight saddle-skirting.

Don'a Lasairiona's kopf was sort of a last minute job, so it's just the face-plate with a black drape. (BTW, she did all the painting on her armour in a painfully short amount of time. She's an incredible artist.)

Esteban and I have full leather head covering. If you look close you can see how crappy it is. :) Thank god for the ten foot rule!

Actually the leather armour isn't bad looking...I've cut mine apart to re-strap it in a more period fashion, and get a better hang on the legs and arms.

It was a fun project. I can't wait to make the same thing in steel!
Well for something sort of thrown together it looks damned good.

I really like that style of burg. If I ever do something late period I think that'll be it.
Martel le Hardi
black for the darkness of the path
red for a fiery passion
white for the blinding illumination
--------------------------------------
Ursus, verily thou rocketh.
Shade
Archive Member

Post by Shade »

Horrible photo, but the only one of the new garb.
Attachments
landsknecht.jpg
landsknecht.jpg (35.1 KiB) Viewed 5678 times
Rittmeister Frye
Archive Member

Shade, that kit looks like it's made from nice heavy wool: good man! Are you wearing a maille shirt underneath, or just a collar? Either way, it's pretty nift.

Cheers!

Gordon
Charles Napier
Shade
Archive Member

Post by Shade »

Rittmeister Frye wrote:Shade, that kit looks like it's made from nice heavy wool: good man! Are you wearing a maille shirt underneath, or just a collar? Either way, it's pretty nift.

Cheers!

Gordon
Hi Gordon,

yes its pretty heavy merino wool. The wool is fulled so the slashes could be made without any problems of a thread running loose. The mail is just a mail collar. The shirt is not finished yet and you need something with a neckline to match the rectangle outcut of the doublet. I made another photo this evening to show the slashing not visible on the other photo.
Attachments
landsknecht2.jpg
landsknecht2.jpg (27.95 KiB) Viewed 3375 times
InsaneIrish
SQUEEE!

Post by InsaneIrish »

shade, how big are? you might get rolled for your garb if you are my size.....errr I mean I KNOW a guy who might take your garb....yeah thats it... :shock: :lol: :lol:
Insane Irish

Quote: "Nissan Maxima"
(on Pennsic) I know that movie. It is the 13th warrior. A bunch of guys in armour that doesn't match itself or anybody elses, go on a trip and argue and get drunk and get laid and then fight Tuchux.
LR of E
Archive Member

Post by LR of E »

So LOGOS, got any pics of your heavy kit?

Thanks
Morgan
LR of E
Archive Member

Post by LR of E »

So LOGOS, got any pics of your heavy kit?

Thanks
Morgan
sha-ul
Archive Member

Post by sha-ul »

shade, do you have an exact year for your portrayal?
btw beautiful garb :wink:
LOGOS
Archive Member

Post by LOGOS »

LR of E wrote:So LOGOS, got any pics of your heavy kit?

Thanks
Morgan
Unfortunately, no. I haven't fought in armor for quite a few years and everything has fallen apart. It wasn't bad for the time - lobster tail, hussar type articulated breast and back; cuiraisser lobster legs - but by today's standards it would be pretty sad. But then, I made it all.

Logos
Talbot
Archive Member

Post by Talbot »

Logos appears in many of my earlier pictures. Here are three from the mid 80s. None are great shots but he is in all of them. They were taken with an 110 instamatic, if you can imagine that.

http://talbotsfineaccessories.com/SCA/Logos1.JPG

http://talbotsfineaccessories.com/SCA/Logos2.JPG

http://talbotsfineaccessories.com/SCA/Logos3.JPG
Baron Alejandro
Obfuscatorial

Post by Baron Alejandro »

sha-ul wrote:maybe some day soon I could take you up on this
Bring friends. Get Frye to tell them what to wear.
Winterfell wrote:What shape are your feet? You are not a Velicoraptor are you? It is so hard to tell on the Internet these days.
Shade
Archive Member

Post by Shade »

sha-ul wrote:shade, do you have an exact year for your portrayal?

btw beautiful garb :wink:
Thanks :D No exact year, but the garb is dated around 1510 to 1530ish since it was based on the pictures done by Urs Graf and Daniel Hopfer (the former died at 1529 and Hopfer 1536). If you search the web for the names you find a lot of paintings done by them. Great inspiration and very "life-like".
Rittmeister Frye
Archive Member

Baron Alejandro wrote: Get Frye to tell them what to wear.
Happy too. I LOVE pontificating (as you may have already noticed...) about such things. Thanks. 8)

Cheers!

Gordon
Charles Napier