Polearm Construction Advice Needed - Northshield/Calontir

For those of us who wish to talk about the many styles and facets of recreating Medieval armed combat.
Rodney
Archive Member

Polearm Construction Advice Needed - Northshield/Calontir

Post by Rodney »

I was about to make a new 6' polearm when news of the rule changes broke. After following the recent rules changing thread, I'm left totally confused. (and I've been playing this game we all love for a while...)

A picture is worth a thousand words. I've attached a picture of the weapon I want to replicate as well as my SCA interpretation of the weapon. I am asking for input as to whether this will pass in Northshield and Calontir under the current rule set AND the proposed rule set. Thank you in advance.
Attachments
Original
Original
Swiss_voulge-XIVc.jpeg (14.87 KiB) Viewed 944 times
Proposed
Proposed
Proposed.jpg (11.39 KiB) Viewed 944 times
-Rodney
Mercenary Company Nevermore, Nordskogen

“I have been known to drink cheap beer (and sake), only because I refuse to drink cheap scotch... And well ya gotta cut corners somewheres.” - Drogo Bryce
Stephen du Bois
Archive Member

Post by Stephen du Bois »

Based on my conversations with the NS KEM (we are both pole arm Knights) is it looks legal in NS depending on how (dimensions) the back spike on the false edge is constructed.

Stephen
I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious.
Vince Lombardi
InsaneIrish
SQUEEE!

Post by InsaneIrish »

It LOOKS like it would be legal in Calontir. HOWEVER, I see a few things that could be issues.

1. Thrusting tip on end of the By My Hand crepe foam. I don't think this is illegal, but I can see it as being a weak point in construction, something that will fail in short order.

2. Foam clacker striking surface. Calontir regs say Minimum of 1/2" progressive give while NOT bottoming out. So, if you ONLY have 1/2" of foam on the edge, it probably will not work. Add the clacker to the edge you will have to be extra careful about the progressive give.

3. The back spike could not be used to strike at all.
Insane Irish

Quote: "Nissan Maxima"
(on Pennsic) I know that movie. It is the 13th warrior. A bunch of guys in armour that doesn't match itself or anybody elses, go on a trip and argue and get drunk and get laid and then fight Tuchux.
Rodney
Archive Member

Post by Rodney »

Thank you for the replys, the input has been very helpful.
InsaneIrish wrote:1. Thrusting tip on end of the By My Hand crepe foam. I don't think this is illegal, but I can see it as being a weak point in construction, something that will fail in short order.
This was a point of concern for me as well. I can deviate from the original by extending the pole the full length and attaching the thrusting tip in the traditional manner.

The back hook is a bit exaggerated in the photo. My plan was to make just enough of a nub to grab shields with, not to strike with in any manner.

While at Lilies War this summer I found that people were legitimately unaware that they had been struck by my padded polearm with no clacker. Several fighters stopped by later to apologize which was very thoughtful, but unnecessary. No harm, no foul. It's very difficult, in the heat of melee, to realize that the "push" you felt was a padded polearm and not some guy running into you. Since many of us also rely on sound to judge a hit, I feel the need to add a clacker. I just want to do it right.

Again, thank you for responding and any more comments would definitely be welcome as well!
-Rodney

“I have been known to drink cheap beer (and sake), only because I refuse to drink cheap scotch... And well ya gotta cut corners somewheres.” - Drogo Bryce
Rodney
Archive Member

Post by Rodney »

InsaneIrish wrote:2. Foam clacker striking surface. Calontir regs say Minimum of 1/2" progressive give while NOT bottoming out. So, if you ONLY have 1/2" of foam on the edge, it probably will not work. Add the clacker to the edge you will have to be extra careful about the progressive give.
I agree. If I use 3/4" of softer foam under the clacker, I should easily meet the 1/2" progressive give rule. Thank you!
-Rodney

InsaneIrish
SQUEEE!

Post by InsaneIrish »

Scott H. wrote: While at Lilies War this summer I found that people were legitimately unaware that they had been struck by my padded polearm with no clacker. Several fighters stopped by later to apologize which was very thoughtful, but unnecessary. No harm, no foul. It's very difficult, in the heat of melee, to realize that the "push" you felt was a padded polearm and not some guy running into you. Since many of us also rely on sound to judge a hit, I feel the need to add a clacker. I just want to do it right.

Again, thank you for responding and any more comments would definitely be welcome as well!
Were these Calontir Fighters that missed the shot? From my experience fighters coming from kingdoms with unpadded poles have a harder time judging a good hit with our padded poles. Our own fighters usually have no problem. If you are having problems with in kingdom fighters taking your shots, I would look to the construction of your padding. Take it to a practice and talk with the more experienced fighters and see what they think.

clackers are not illegal in Calontir they are just newer in use. The rule allowing them has been on the books for a long time, but only recently have their use become popular.

My only advise is to make your squishy foam bit more squishy than normal as a clacker transfers more force than straight padding.
Insane Irish

(on Pennsic) I know that movie. It is the 13th warrior. A bunch of guys in armour that doesn't match itself or anybody elses, go on a trip and argue and get drunk and get laid and then fight Tuchux.
Rodney
Archive Member

Post by Rodney »

InsaneIrish wrote:...I would look to the construction of your padding.
You are very intuitive! My umpteenth polearm build after more than a dozen years ended up with a very "squishy" head. Time was short and the war wagons were heading south so I left it the way it was. :wink:

Off Topic: Lilies War is the highlight of my SCA year, every year. I can't wait for the next war. The welcoming atmosphere, fighting, camping, vendors, fireworks and parties all combine to create and ideal experience for me. Primarily a melee fighter all these years, I branched off and fought in a tournament (the Children's Tournament) for the first time. What fun! I only made it to the second round, but I'll make a better showing next year.

Thank you again.
-Rodney

InsaneIrish
SQUEEE!

Post by InsaneIrish »

If you see me at Lilies (or other event) make sure to say hi!

I look like this:

(I'm the fat guy in the purple dress.)
Insane Irish

Rodney
Archive Member

Post by Rodney »

Well met InsaneIrish! We fought together on the field. I was the only guy with a barred houndskull visor bascinet. You are more than welcome to my camp next war for a beer or twelve. :wink:
Attachments
Me at Lilies War Children's Tournament 2010
Me at Lilies War Children's Tournament 2010
normal_DSCF0971-copy.jpg (16.63 KiB) Viewed 671 times
-Rodney

sha-ul
Archive Member

Post by sha-ul »

Scott H. wrote:Well met InsaneIrish! We fought together on the field. I was the only guy with a barred houndskull visor bascinet. You are more than welcome to my camp next war for a beer or twelve. :wink:

do you have a side view of that visor?
Whenever the legislators endeavor to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people, who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience
Eamonn
Archive Member

Post by Eamonn »

I really like that kit Scott.
Baron Alcyoneus
Archive Member

Post by Baron Alcyoneus »

I checked both Society, and Calontir's(2007) Marshal's Handbooks.

One or the other (at least, maybe both) at one time specifically stated (IIRC) that thrusting tips had to be attached to the rattan shaft, now it is more implied.

From the two handed section (and the single handed mirrors this):

5. When thrusting tips are used, they shall be no less than 2 inches (50.8 mm) in diameter/cross-section and have 2 inches (50.8 mm) of resilient material in front of the rigid tip of the weapon, thereby providing progressively resistant give.

I think that you will have unsatisfactory results with any striking or thrusting surface that is not directly connected with the rattan. Even if you put leather on the sides of the head, it will probably flex more than you want- if your goal is to have your opponents recognize that they have been solidly struck. The same goes for thrusts, but even more so.

Make the head completely backed by rattan, and taped/etc to look like the picture you have if you want happy fighting results.
Vypadni z mého trávník!

Does loyalty trump truth?

"If they hurt you, hurt them back. If they kill you, walk it off."- Captain America
Rodney
Archive Member

Post by Rodney »

sha-ul wrote:do you have a side view of that visor?
Yes, I've attached it below. I bent the rod and made the hinges; a buddy welded it up for me. It's easily interchangeable with my real houndskull visor (as seen in my avatar).
Eamonn wrote:I really like that kit Scott.
Thank you. It's been many years in the making. I left off the hauberk, real houndskull visor and sabatons for Lilies War. Man, it gets HOT down south!
Baron Alcyoneus wrote:Make the head completely backed by rattan, and taped/etc to look like the picture you have if you want happy fighting results.
Yes, I've come to that conclusion as well. I originally toyed with the idea as diagramed above in an effort to have something as close to the original as possible. The practical concerns you and others have pointed out have made me rethink the design.

I appreciate everyone's input. I'm off to the local "rattan furniture superstore" this afternoon, and not to buy a chair. :wink:
Attachments
Front view
Front view
normal_DSCF0946-copy.jpg (29.15 KiB) Viewed 592 times
Side view
Side view
normal_DSCF0949-copy.jpg (30.33 KiB) Viewed 592 times
-Rodney

Jestyr
Archive Member

Post by Jestyr »

Scott H. wrote:I left off the hauberk, real houndskull visor and sabatons for Lilies War. Man, it gets HOT down south!
Lilies is "down south"? ;-)
Custom Chainmail!
Get custom-sized, flat-ring, riveted chainmail at a great price! www.customchainmail.com!

Email me at sales@customchainmail.com for more information.
InsaneIrish
SQUEEE!

Post by InsaneIrish »

Jestyr wrote:
Scott H. wrote:I left off the hauberk, real houndskull visor and sabatons for Lilies War. Man, it gets HOT down south!
Lilies is "down south"? ;-)
When you live in Minnesota, everything is "south". :lol: :lol:
Insane Irish

InsaneIrish
SQUEEE!

Post by InsaneIrish »

If "I" were making such a weapon I would design the head as such:
Attachments
voulge-head.jpg
voulge-head.jpg (48.95 KiB) Viewed 546 times
Insane Irish

Rodney
Archive Member

Post by Rodney »

InsaneIrish wrote:If "I" were making such a weapon I would design the head as such:
Nice! May I ask what program you are using for making illustrations? You posted an excellent helmet padding illustration on another thread recently. Well done.
-Rodney

InsaneIrish
SQUEEE!

Post by InsaneIrish »

Scott H. wrote:
InsaneIrish wrote:If "I" were making such a weapon I would design the head as such:
Nice! May I ask what program you are using for making illustrations? You posted an excellent helmet padding illustration on another thread recently. Well done.
I am a graphic Designer by Trade. I use the full Adobe Suite. For stuff like this I use Adobe Illustrator CS3.
Insane Irish

DukeAvery
Archive Member

Post by DukeAvery »

The one in front, carrying the attack to the 'foe'?

:D

Nice dress.
InsaneIrish wrote:If you see me at Lilies (or other event) make sure to say hi!

I look like this:

(I'm the fat guy in the purple dress.)
Doppel of Eberhauer
Imperial Mercenary of Atenveldt
Even a squire can win Crown Tournament.
Baron Alcyoneus
Archive Member

It makes his ass look big. ;)
InsaneIrish
SQUEEE!

Post by InsaneIrish »

Baron Alcyoneus wrote:It makes his ass look big. ;)
Why are you looking at my ass? :shock:
Insane Irish

Benedek
Archive Member

Post by Benedek »

InsaneIrish wrote:
Don't get too flattered, he does that to everyone.

:lol:
Revenge is a matter of style.
InsaneIrish
SQUEEE!

Post by InsaneIrish »

Benedek wrote:
InsaneIrish wrote:

FLATTERED? no...SCARED?......maybe.
Insane Irish

Hrolfr
Archive Member

Post by Hrolfr »

InsaneIrish wrote:
Benedek wrote:
InsaneIrish wrote:

Alcy and Alejandro. The thought of them make MANY things worried ;)
Thomas Gallowglass said:
Amoung the things I've learned in life are these two tidbits...
1) don't put trust into how politicians explain things
2) you are likely to bleed if you base your actions upon 'hope'.
Rodney
Archive Member

Post by Rodney »

Holy cow. :shock:

Step away from the computer for a few hours and ... well ...
-Rodney

Baron Alcyoneus
Archive Member

InsaneIrish wrote:
Benedek wrote:
InsaneIrish wrote:

Maybe I shouldn't but...here's a true story.

I went to Estrella c2002, and my then wife asked me to say hi to Eringlen *in a particular fashion* (because she often did this with him). I...agreed to do so.

So one night, I walked up behind him, and grabbed a handful of his left buttock. He turned saw it was me and very much looked like a deer in the headlights. I said "Maeve says 'Hi!' ", and the relief on his face was very great when he realized I was grabbing for her, and NOT for me! :lol:
Vypadni z mého trávník!

Does loyalty trump truth?

"If they hurt you, hurt them back. If they kill you, walk it off."- Captain America