"The Sword in Two Hands by Brian Price" review wan

For those of us who wish to talk about the many styles and facets of recreating Medieval armed combat.
Louis de Leon
Thinking of toast

Post by Louis de Leon »

Gaston de Clermont wrote:People may doubt the sincerity of his words given the scope of this, the number of well respected people who have been injured here, and the amount of time that has past. But it looks to me like he's down. It's time to stop kicking him. If there are legitimate law suits going on, fine, that's what our legal system is for. The contracts that authors and manufacturers have with him should be honored. Some of the other cries I'm hearing here of "burn the witch!" just seem mean. The witch is already on fire.
I don't think anyone should be kicking him at all. Cruelty doesn't solve anything. And I haven't seen very much of that anyways. Not much animosity simply for animosity's sake. Most of this is simply factual stuff that is finally coming to light and the community simply struggling to deal with it.

So I don't think your metaphor entirely applies. I don't believe the witch is burning. To continue the metaphor I think the mob is sitting around in a cafe discussing burning the witch and the best way it is to be achieved at this point. Because at this point nothing has actually happened. Lawsuits have not been put forward, he is still free to attend SCA events as a merchant, and he is still a KSCA in good standing.

I'll say the witch is burning if something concrete actually happens and any of that changes. If and when it does then I'll agree that the witch is burning.

As for right now it's all talk and getting the word out. And figuring out what to actually do about all of this - there really isn't a precedent that I'm aware of that even vaguely compares to this. This is a unique situation.
Marco-borromei wrote:Stay away from Akron, unless you're cruelly interested in experimenting on your children. Will they survive the schools? The drugs? The boredom? Will desperation motivate them to leave or to go native?
David Teague
Archive Member

Post by David Teague »

Closest thing I can think of was when a respected member of the armour community was found posting on a White Supremacist Neo-Nazi web site under his legal name with personal photo as his avatar.

He instantly lost all his museum contracts, became a social pariah and was forced to step down from his position with a Non Profit. It was painful to watch as his research was sound, his armour skills unmatched in his area of interest and we do live in a country where you are allowed to believe what ever you want as long as you do no harm or break any laws doing so. He hadn't, but... :?

I think that meltdown only took 24 hours thanks to the web.

Cheers,

David
Hrolfr
Archive Member

Post by Hrolfr »

Gaston de Clermont wrote:Hrolfr- I feel they're fundamentally different. Madoff created a pyramid scheme whose intent from the beginning was simply to make himself a ton of money at the expense of others. I think with Brian he started out with the best of intentions. He wanted to share some great historical work and armour with people because it's something he's passionate about. I know there are a lot of great books on my shelves, and armour in my shop that are a direct result of the good work he has done. Some of his ventures failed, and he's done some painful flailing trying to fix the situation, and made it far worse. He's screwed up, lost a lot of his reputation and many of his friends, and it's clear that he knows it.

This thread feels like seeing a man set himself on fire (it has to be by accident, clearly he didn't want this) and criticizing him for not going through the stop, drop and roll routine right away. He's burned other people in the process. He's saying things like, "I deeply regret the failure," "My communications during this time have been poor, I will freely admit," and "I have always said that chivalry is not a matter of acting with perfection (although I wish I were better at it), but is rather a question of making suitable amends after a wrong has occurred."

People may doubt the sincerity of his words given the scope of this, the number of well respected people who have been injured here, and the amount of time that has past. But it looks to me like he's down. It's time to stop kicking him. If there are legitimate law suits going on, fine, that's what our legal system is for. The contracts that authors and manufacturers have with him should be honored. Some of the other cries I'm hearing here of "burnthe witch!" just seem mean. The witch is already on fire.

Sir I beg to differ
Thomas Gallowglass said:
Amoung the things I've learned in life are these two tidbits...
1) don't put trust into how politicians explain things
2) you are likely to bleed if you base your actions upon 'hope'.
Gaston de Clermont
Archive Member

Post by Gaston de Clermont »

Put yourself in Brian's shoes for a moment, Louis. Imagine losing great friends like Doug Strong, Greg Mele and Christian Tobler because of things you did. I read their stuff and buy their books not just because I learn things from them, but because they're rock stars around here. Imagine losing your reputation in a community you've been not just part of, but a key figure building it for decades. I don't know what the tournament company movement would have been like on the west coast without him. With considerable respect to early drivers like Robert of Woodsende and Michael St. Sever, the whole thing might not have happened without Brian. Schola St. George wouldn't exist without him. And he's been forced to step down from his role there. Sounds like there are law suits pending. His income stream from his business is going to be destroyed by this thread. There are threats of ending any academic aspirations he has. If he can't sell, and can't teach, practically, how is he going to be able to pay these guys he owes?

If you believe his life's meaning is all about money, it doesn't look like he's gotten much of that from these ventures, and the future of them is dismal. If it's all about renown, being a success in publishing, or chivalric ideals, the situation is woeful. If I were him, I'd feel like I was engulfed in flames.
Knight Sir James
Archive Member

Post by Knight Sir James »

I never thought I would see Christian Tobler, David Teague, Greg Mele, Talbot, and others who I have looked up to and greatly respected for many years all commenting in the same thread in the span of a week. I am glad to see things "coming to light" about how many good people have been taken advantage of by one unscrupulous individual. The saddest part is that I have a copy of TOMAR and have long thought of Brian Price as a credit to the community. :(

For him to continue amassing a collection such as he has, driving the luxury vehicles that he does, and living in a home the size he does, and to be able to afford classes for a doctorate - it is quite clear that repayment of years or a decade old debt is not high on his list. He may claim to only make $17,500 a year, but I find that extremely unlikely as someone with his experience level - whether he is a good person or not. First year teachers in my area make nearly double that amount.

The proper thing would be of course selling his assets and cutting back on luxuries (like private riding lessons, perhaps?) in order to repay his debts, which he has freely admitted in this thread he owes. He clearly has no interest in "practicing what he preaches".

Lady Charlotte - all I can say is, "Boom! Headshot!". Your statements have been solidly backed by links with evidence, and I know I personally greatly appreciate the amount of time and effort it took to research and create your posts in this thread. I think a good bit of the information could be useful in a lawsuit.

On the subject of suit - would it be more reasonable to file a group suit against him, instead of multiple individual suits?
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent
Baron Alejandro
Obfuscatorial

Post by Baron Alejandro »

Louis, you have no idea. This thread has been linked on facebook, emailed to me, and talked about at my work (I work with Society members, hi boss!) multiple times.

Remember, <i>you don't need a logon to see this forum. It's public</i>.
Louis de Leon wrote: I don't think anyone should be kicking him at all. Cruelty doesn't solve anything. And I haven't seen very much of that anyways. Not much animosity simply for animosity's sake. Most of this is simply factual stuff that is finally coming to light and the community simply struggling to deal with it.

So I don't think your metaphor entirely applies. I don't believe the witch is burning. To continue the metaphor I think the mob is sitting around in a cafe discussing burning the witch and the best way it is to be achieved at this point. Because at this point nothing has actually happened. Lawsuits have not been put forward, he is still free to attend SCA events as a merchant, and he is still a KSCA in good standing.

I'll say the witch is burning if something concrete actually happens and any of that changes. If and when it does then I'll agree that the witch is burning.

As for right now it's all talk and getting the word out. And figuring out what to actually do about all of this - there really isn't a precedent that I'm aware of that even vaguely compares to this. This is a unique situation.
Winterfell wrote:What shape are your feet? You are not a Velicoraptor are you? It is so hard to tell on the Internet these days.
Gaston de Clermont
Archive Member

James- he's a grad student, not a regular full time teacher. In most fields it effectively costs money to be one.
Chris Cottrell
Archive Member

Post by Chris Cottrell »

David Teague wrote:Closest thing I can think of was when a respected member of the armour community was found posting on a White Supremacist Neo-Nazi web site under his legal name with personal photo as his avatar.

He instantly lost all his museum contracts, became a social pariah and was forced to step down from his position with a Non Profit. It was painful to watch as his research was sound, his armour skills unmatched in his area of interest and we do live in a country where you are allowed to believe what ever you want as long as you do no harm or break any laws doing so. He hadn't, but... :?

I think that meltdown only took 24 hours thanks to the web.

Cheers,

David
Can't say I'd pity the fate of a Nazi. You kind of have it coming when your other hobby is being evil. What's his name, in case he ever wants to go into business again? I'd be pretty interested in knowing who to avoid.
yrs,

Chris Cottrell, MFA
cottrellpoetry.com
student, Academia Duellatoria
Knight Sir James
Archive Member

Post by Knight Sir James »

Gaston de Clermont wrote:James- he's a grad student, not a regular full time teacher. In most fields it effectively costs money to be one.
BrianRPrice wrote:A teaching fellow, however, makes $17,500 per year, which is where I've been the past two years (2009-10).
Is "teaching fellow" a grad student? I read that as fellow being a person, and him saying that he is a teacher. I have a very hard time grasping that on $17,500 a year he is able to afford grad school, a 6k square foot house, a jaguar, an SUV, private riding lessons, etc.. unless his wife is contributing substantially.

Regardless, whatever the case may be, he's maintaining (and possibly improving) his standard of living over the years, yet, his debts continue unpaid. Which makes it quite clear that repayment of said debts is nowhere near his top priority. That's reprehensible, IMO.

I also want to say that I don't think any of the statements made by Tobler, Teague, Mele, Talbot, and others wronged are in any way "unchivalrous". Quite the contrary, I see informing us of a long history of misdeeds to be a noble thing to do, and I thank them for having the courage to do so.
Knight, Order of the Marshal
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent
Gaston de Clermont
Archive Member

I happened to move from California to Texas around the same time Brian did. It was quite possible at the time to pocket a couple hundred grand on the difference in the house prices and still have a big house in Texas. I know many who did. Real estate is relatively cheap in most parts of this state and the houses are built for giants. I don't know if this was the case for Brian. If it was, the responsible thing would have been to put the extra cash towards paying debts. Maybe he has debts we haven't discussed here, like medical bills. I don't know.

I don't have a problem with the folks who were wronged in this voicing their grievances. I'm sad it happened, but it's their right to talk about it, and despite their anger they've been focused, factual and respectful. Others seem to be mad simply that Brian didn't live up to their expectations of him, and want him punished in extra-legal ways for it. Some of these ways will make it harder for him to pay what is owed. That doesn't help anyone.
Gerhard von Liebau
Archive Member

Post by Gerhard von Liebau »

I think that at this point the reality is that people don't expect him to pay them what he owes because he obviously does not think that it is a priority - his own post here shows how he tried to weasel his way out of almost every grievance posted against him. Seeing him punished for his bad business practices sounds like reward enough to many here. That's why the thread has gone down the path it has. People pushing for legal activity who have no beef with Brian probably do need to shut up though, unless they happen to have some extremely sound advice (i.e. are in the business) for the members involved. And if that's the case, it's most likely happening out of the public eye, because anyone with legal training would know that this thread is an entirely dumb place to give such advice.

-Gerhard
Thorsteinn Raudskeggr
Archive Member

Post by Thorsteinn Raudskeggr »

Mr Tobler, Mr Mele,

I still have my $25 card, and I am down to a few choices:
Arte Gladiatoria Dimicandi: 15th Century Swordsmanship of Master Fillipo Vadi
or

SPADA 2: Anthology of Swordsmanship
or

Pathfinder Roleplaying Game: GameMastery Guide.

All will feed my hobbies and while I have placed an order for your German Swordsmanship book through a 2nd hand source Mr Tobler, it seems that they cannot come up with the title, and I fear my order for Spada 2 (which I also placed with them) will suffer a similar fate.

-Ivan
Last edited by Thorsteinn Raudskeggr on Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When the World shout's "Give Up!", Hope whispers "Try one more time".

"If you're a guy full of sh** without the gold medal...when you get the gold medal, you're still a guy full of sh**"- Didier Berthod, First Ascent
Saritor
Archive Member

Post by Saritor »

Which is unfortunate, since both SPADA books are fantastic!
Lady Charlotte
Archive Member

Post by Lady Charlotte »

Hello, Marco,

I've been debating for the last 24 hours whether to respond to this post of yours and, if so, how, especially since Mr. Holland has explained that the SSG's remaining directors are now looking into the various issues concerning SSG's status. I have no wish to belabor anything relating to SSG unnecessarily, especially since Mr. Price is no longer the President nor a director and, even more especially, since resolving SSG's situation pertains now only to its own members, not to the wider community (although I feel it was necessary and appropriate to have disclosed in my prior post what I had unexpectedly discovered about SSG, so as to alert everyone here to the continuing pattern of Mr. Price's misconduct and to alert SSG members and the other SSG instructors as to their potential peril).

I've decided to respond, after reflection, because I believe your well-meant caution to folks goes so far as to potentially encourage the kind of passivity that predators rely on, as Louis de Leon so accurately pointed out, above:
Louis de Leon wrote:This is how predators function. They count on their victims to think exactly this. That is what allows them to move with impunity to their next victim.
Marco-borromei wrote:For the rest of us not directly party to a lawsuit, there is a lot of risk for BOTH sides of this argument in treating anything here as "evidence." I fall for it sometimes, too, and I sometimes deal with investigations for a living. These accusations, while brutal, are not necessarily "evidence."
I think what you meant to say here is "admissible evidence," since "evidence" is by no means restricted to the courtroom: I've grounded my teenagers from time to time on the basis of "evidence" that wouldn't necessarily meet the standards of the Federal Rules of Evidence. I've similarly chosen not to have dealings with people based primarily on "hearsay" about their characters from people whose judgment and character I do have reason to trust. This is how families, friends and communities function: on evidence that is considered reasonably persuasive by the individuals making the daily judgments constitutive of ordinary life.

Marco-borromei wrote:Anyone can register an account as Price or Tobler and say whatever they want.
Presumably, by now, the poster to this thread identifying himself as "Christian Tobler" would have been revealed to be an impostor by those who know him face-to-face, and those who've dealt with him principally online could satisfy themselves as to his identity by checking to see whether, for example, the email address attached to his account in this forum is the one he is regularly known to use.

A judge, however, doesn't have that kind of knowledge or familiarity with the individuals who appear before him, so other measures are required under the rules of evidence, but that doesn't mean that everyone else must necessarily await a judge's verdict to reach their own informed judgments.

Marco-borromei wrote:Courts will determine the quality of evidence, not make a decision based on this thread.
Not this thread alone, no, but individual posts could meet the standards of "admissible evidence" by authentication by means of testimony or affidavit by the poster, and where a poster was unwilling to authenticate his own post for some reason, a party could easily obtain sufficient supporting evidence through the discovery process to substantiate its authenticity under the applicable rules of evidence as that poster's statement.

Marco-borromei wrote:The records on the Texas web site could be out of date or in error.
Given that it's a governmental website, all of its records are self-authenticating under Federal Rule of Evidence 902(5). Moreover, had you looked at the Secretary of State's website rather than immediately suspending belief in the accuracy and timeliness of its records, you would have learned that all third-party paper filings are processed and accessible publicly within 3-5 business days, and electronic filings are processed, typically, by the close of business on the following business day.

When I'd checked the filing history of SSG at the close of business on the 22nd (prior to making my post of that day), that meant it was complete as of no earlier than the close of business on February 14th. However, since any possible "update" of a forefeiture of existence would have to reflect state action, it was easy enough to ascertain whether any legally effective change of status had occurred more recently by double-checking SSG's status with the Texas Comptroller of Accounts here, which the Secretary of State's website informs users they can do and to which it provides a convenient link.

I'm belaboring this point because checking the corporate status of a corporation is something that anyone relying on said corporation's insurance policy should be doing -- as a matter of course -- to ensure that its insurance policy will be valid and enforceable if and when the time comes to make a claim against it.

As to whether a corporation's forfeiture of its status is due to an error on the government's part, while that's possible, it's highly unlikely if the person responsible for making the franchise tax payment and filing the return (or obtaining an exemption) has been duly diligent. As the State's Tax Forfeiture filing makes clear, a delinquent party has 120 days after the franchise tax was due to make the late payment and avert such a consequence (which is typical in other states, too), and the government office that issues the annual franchise tax bill typically does so 30-45 days before it's due, then issues repeated reminders and warnings once the payment becomes delinquent before taking such drastic action as filing a forfeiture.

What this means is that even if "the check got lost in the mail," the designated recipient for the corporation of governmental notices (typically the registered agent) would have to ignore notice after notice after notice indicating that that had occurred.

I'm belaboring this point because if one fails to be proactive, it's all too easy to be snookered by a negligent registered agent who claims a variant of "the dog ate my homework"!

I'd described in detail in my prior post how to verify the status of a corporation -- and provided links -- in order to educate people on how not to get snookered in such a manner!

The **last** thing that you or anyone else should do concerning the status of a corporation that affects you individually in such a manner is to "wait for the litigation" to be over OR or to take the word of the person accused of dropping the ball in the meantime. The REASON states are required to make this information easily and publicly available is so that individuals CAN verify it and thereby PROTECT themselves.

Please understand that this is by no means intended as a dig at the current board of SSG -- who seem to be diligently taking corrective action -- nor at you, but we all have responsibilities for ourselves when we join an organization on whose insurance policy we rely and this is one of them: Trust but verify.

Marco-borromei wrote:I have never personally seen Internet Wayback Machine results accepted as evidence by a court. I've only seen two occasions where an attorney tried. Maybe a different court and a different case would.
Their archived pages are submitted as evidence in courts so often that the staff at the Internet Archive finally had to publish a policy and start charging parties for authenticating copies of such pages by affidavit:
Before asking the Internet Archive to authenticate your documents, we ask that you please seek judicial notice or simply ask your opposing party to stipulate to the documents' authenticity. Of course, the best source of such information is the party who posted the information on the URLs at issue, and the second-best source of such information is someone who actually accessed the historical versions of the URLs.

However, if you are determined to obtain an affidavit authenticating printouts from the Internet Archive's Wayback Machine, we will do our best to help you in accordance with this policy.
Marco-borromei wrote:Even comparison of texts, while damming, may or may not be actionable.
If you're referring, here, to the plagiarism claim, I'd say that purchasers of the Chivalry Bookshelf edition would at least have a consumer complaint for product misrepresentation.

Marco-borromei wrote:Wait for the legal action to finish.
I feel no need to wait: I'm quite comfortable that I now possess more than adequate, reliable "evidence" about both Mr. Price's exploitative pattern of conduct toward others as well as his character.

YMMV.

Lady Charlotte
Last edited by Lady Charlotte on Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Barnet
Archive Member

Post by Barnet »

IvanIS wrote:Mr Tobler, Mr Mele,

I still have my $25 card, and I am down to a few choices:
Arte Gladiatoria Dimicandi: 15th Century Swordsmanship of Master Fillipo Vadi
or

SPADA 2: Anthology of Swordsmanship
or

Pathfinder Roleplaying Game: GameMastery Guide.

All will feed my hobbies and while I have placed an order for your German Swordsmanship book through a 2nd hand source Mr Tobler, it seems that they cannot come up with the title, and I fear Spada 2 (which I also ordered from them, and I fear will suffer a similar fate).

-Ivan
Pathfinder is awesome, you would probablly get more and better use out of that.

B.
Derian le Breton
Archive Member

Post by Derian le Breton »

James Anderson III wrote:Is "teaching fellow" a grad student?
Typically, yes. Acquiring a fellowship gets you a little extra money (hence the 17.5k). A research fellowship typically gets you a little extra money and a cessation of teaching duties (in exchange for an expectation of research results, AKA publications).

This will vary by field and institution, however.
James Anderson III wrote:He may claim to only make $17,500 a year, but I find that extremely unlikely as someone with his experience level - whether he is a good person or not. First year teachers in my area make nearly double that amount.
17.5k is an above-average salary for a grad student, especially in the humanities.

Your prior experience means zero when it comes to grad student stipends.

-Derian.
More or less no longer logging in to the AA. Have a nice life.
Marco-borromei
Archive Member

Post by Marco-borromei »

Lady Charlotte wrote:<snip>
I've decided to respond, after reflection, because I believe your well-meant caution to folks goes so far as to potentially encourage the kind of passivity that predators rely on,
Such was not my intent. You have my apologies. Thank you for correcting me.
Instead of a PM, please reply via email directly to baronmarcoborromei@gmail.com. I rarely get to log on here and read PM's.
Konstantin the Red
Archive Member

Post by Konstantin the Red »

Kel Rekuta wrote: To study medieval martial arts - buy Guy Windsor's longsword book. Its more useful for training tips.
The Swordsman's Companion
"The Minstrel Boy to the war is gone..."
Jon Barber
Archive Member

Post by Jon Barber »

Derian le Breton wrote:
James Anderson III wrote:Is "teaching fellow" a grad student?
Typically, yes. Acquiring a fellowship gets you a little extra money (hence the 17.5k). A research fellowship typically gets you a little extra money and a cessation of teaching duties (in exchange for an expectation of research results, AKA publications).

This will vary by field and institution, however.
James Anderson III wrote:He may claim to only make $17,500 a year, but I find that extremely unlikely as someone with his experience level - whether he is a good person or not. First year teachers in my area make nearly double that amount.
17.5k is an above-average salary for a grad student, especially in the humanities.
A quick dig through the UNT graduate college site shows that $17,560 is the current stipend for a teaching fellowship (grad students with 18+ credits in their discipline, who teach undergrad courses) - they seem to be using a standardized schedule set by administration.

Derian's right, grad students don't make much, period. They aren't quite the pseudo-slave-labor graduate assistants often are (oh, how we used ours mercilessly *g*) and research assistants do a little better (my wife was an RA for a while - finishing her dissertation now, thank God) but it's not a way to get rich. $17K+ is actually pretty good.
Steve -SoFC- wrote:Read the wikipedia article.
Mike F
Archive Member

Post by Mike F »

Conn Cullach wrote:Can't say I'd pity the fate of a Nazi.
Now hold on. I'll happily discuss this in another venue, but he was not a Nazi. He frequented a forum, he donated to said forum, and after a nice discussion with him, it was clear is is most certainly not a Nazi, and his personal beliefs are not only legal, but far less than you hear expressed on television. But perception defines reality, he was associated with said website as the first Google result of his full name, and damage control kicked in. What happened to him was a shame.

He's an honest businessman and good at what he did. He's still one of the best last I checked. He simply had an unpopular opinion (unless you're Chris Rock) and publicly gave money to the wrong people.

Now, to judge a man on a single sentence? That's cold.
It's up to you now.
SirOlafr
Archive Member

Post by SirOlafr »

I didn't want to write in this thread anymore but just feel compelled to make this last public service announcement. Tax property records are public information, and in areas of Texas like many places, available to those who would search, online. These include aerial imagery. While the $17.5g may be correct for what he makes through school, to insist that it is ALL he makes and is his only source of income is clearly false. Arguing over it is silly.
"The unforgivable crime is soft hitting. Do not hit at all if it can be avoided; but never hit softly."-Theodore Roosevelt

Dogs of War
Steel Fighters

SCA:
KSCA, AEthelmearc
House Anephedros
Former squire to Count Robin Wallace
David Teague
Archive Member

Post by David Teague »

Mike F wrote:
Conn Cullach wrote:Can't say I'd pity the fate of a Nazi.
Now hold on. I'll happily discuss this in another venue, but he was not a Nazi. He frequented a forum, he donated to said forum, and after a nice discussion with him, it was clear is is most certainly not a Nazi, and his personal beliefs are not only legal, but far less than you hear expressed on television. But perception defines reality, he was associated with said website as the first Google result of his full name, and damage control kicked in. What happened to him was a shame.

He's an honest businessman and good at what he did. He's still one of the best last I checked. He simply had an unpopular opinion (unless you're Chris Rock) and publicly gave money to the wrong people.

Now, to judge a man on a single sentence? That's cold.
I need to make this clear, I never read what he posted on said forum, by posting his opinions on said forum under his given name it came up under a Google search and he paid a very heavy price at the time for being on a legal forum. Very heavy. I left his name blank for a reason and I now regret making my earlier posting about the event.

This event happen years ago, was common knowledge at the time and frankly, folks should just let it go. Really. He paid his debit, he did his time as a outcast, it's history. He's still one of the best last I checked too.

Move on.

David
Lady Charlotte
Archive Member

Post by Lady Charlotte »

Hello, Gaston,
Gaston de Clermont wrote:Hrolfr- I feel they're fundamentally different. Madoff created a pyramid scheme whose intent from the beginning was simply to make himself a ton of money at the expense of others. I think with Brian he started out with the best of intentions. He wanted to share some great historical work and armour with people because it's something he's passionate about. I know there are a lot of great books on my shelves, and armour in my shop that are a direct result of the good work he has done. Some of his ventures failed, and he's done some painful flailing trying to fix the situation, and made it far worse. He's screwed up, lost a lot of his reputation and many of his friends, and it's clear that he knows it.
Hrolfr's comparison to Bernie Madoff was actually far more apt than you realize.

When interviewed post-conviction by the S.E.C.'s Inspector General, on June 17, 2009, Madoff explained that he'd originally begun "stealing from Peter to pay Paul" due to unanticipated financial difficulties that he'd expected to be able to overcome:
On beginning the Ponzi scheme:
Madoff stated that the "problem occurred when I made commitments for too much money and then I couldn't put the strategy to work." He stated, "I had a European bank, I was doing forward conversion, they were doing reverse conversion." He stated that the returns he typically generated, "I thought I was going to be able to do." He explained that when that didn't happen, he thought, "Fine, I'll just generate these trades and then the market will come back and I'1l make it back...and it never happened." He added, "It was my mistake not to just be out a couple hundred million dollars and get out of it."
Madoff's financial scale may have been larger than Mr. Price's, but little else differed, IMO.

Gaston de Clermont wrote:Put yourself in Brian's shoes for a moment, Louis. Imagine losing great friends like Doug Strong, Greg Mele and Christian Tobler because of things you did. I read their stuff and buy their books not just because I learn things from them, but because they're rock stars around here. Imagine losing your reputation in a community you've been not just part of, but a key figure building it for decades.
This was true for Bernie Madoff too! In fact, it's quite clear that the reason he'd escaped suspicion for so long is that he was genuinely liked, admired and respected by many highly respected people in his "community" (which had included the S.E.C.) and had made significant and valuable professional contributions to the modernization of the securities industry, especially as the former chairman of NASDAQ:
The Madoff brothers helped push for greater transparency and accountability to the over-the-counter market, which was then in a major battle for listings with the New York Stock Exchange and the American Stock Exchange. That was their public stance; I can’t vouch for what their position was behind closed doors.

Bernard Madoff, a former chairman of the NASDAQ Stock Market and founder of Bernard L. Madoff Investment Securities, was one of the few NASDAQ market-makers who competed with the New York Stock Exchange, by trading stocks listed on the Big Board. His broker/dealer firm did this through an electronic market that was operated at the Cincinnati Stock Exchange.

Through the Cincinnati exchange, the Madoffs were pioneers in electronic trading and publicly spoke of the need to use technology to transform the inefficient and sometimes shady over-the-counter stock market.

The Madoff brothers were boys from the Outer Boroughs who made the big time. I liked their street smarts and their charm. Bernie was the elder statesman and Peter was the young visionary. They were generous with their time, whether it was explaining the intricacies of market structure to a fledgling reporter or striving to improve the competitiveness of the NASDAQ Stock Market.

It was thanks to the efforts of people like Bernie Madoff that NASDAQ was able to attract listings from top-tier tech companies such as Apple, Sun Microsystems, Cisco Systems, and later search powerhouse Google.
The parallels are quite striking, the more you know about Bernie Madoff.
Gaston de Clermont wrote:I don't know what the tournament company movement would have been like on the west coast without him. With considerable respect to early drivers like Robert of Woodsende and Michael St. Sever, the whole thing might not have happened without Brian. Schola St. George wouldn't exist without him. And he's been forced to step down from his role there. Sounds like there are law suits pending. His income stream from his business is going to be destroyed by this thread. There are threats of ending any academic aspirations he has. If he can't sell, and can't teach, practically, how is he going to be able to pay these guys he owes?
The Prices could sell the Jaguar, the Durango, the rare book collection and the 5-bedroom house, for starters (and they may have no choice but to do so, eventually). Lots of people in this country drive Chevies or take buses, live in apartments where their kids share a bedroom, and shop at thrift stores. Mr. Price shouldn't expect much sympathy if that becomes his "new normal."

Gaston de Clermont wrote:I happened to move from California to Texas around the same time Brian did. It was quite possible at the time to pocket a couple hundred grand on the difference in the house prices and still have a big house in Texas. I know many who did. Real estate is relatively cheap in most parts of this state and the houses are built for giants. I don't know if this was the case for Brian.
It seems so. According to public records, Brian and his wife purchased their 5-bedroom, 2,308 sq/ft home in Union City, CA for $337,000 in 1998 and sold it in February, 2004, for $657,500, quite a tidy profit, to be sure. Also according to public records, they then purchased their new 5-bedroom, 4216 sq/ft home in Highland Village, TX, nine days later for only $379,000, taking out a $180,000 mortgage to do so, according to the Deed of Trust filed with the Denton County recorder of deeds. That would have left them with approximately $200,000 in profit, even net of realtors' commissions for both transactions.

Gaston de Clermont wrote:If it was, the responsible thing would have been to put the extra cash towards paying debts.
No, the truly responsible thing would have been to pay all his debts off and only then to have purchased whatever new home he and his wife could afford with whatever funds remained -- such as buying a house no larger than the one they had sold in California, rather than one 182% larger.

Gaston de Clermont wrote:Maybe he has debts we haven't discussed here, like medical bills.
The rest of us can speculate, too: maybe he has a big stockbroker's account! Maybe he has a sizable 401(k) account! Maybe he has an IRA!

What a fun game!

Gaston de Clermont wrote:I don't know.
In that case, I'm guessing you don't know about the Price family trust that he's apparently a beneficiary of back in Alameda County, California, either (which I discovered by -- again -- examining the public records).

Gaston de Clermont wrote:I don't have a problem with the folks who were wronged in this voicing their grievances. I'm sad it happened, but it's their right to talk about it, and despite their anger they've been focused, factual and respectful. Others seem to be mad simply that Brian didn't live up to their expectations of him, and want him punished in extra-legal ways for it. Some of these ways will make it harder for him to pay what is owed. That doesn't help anyone.
Sure it does -- it helps purge the community's sense of outrage and establish its parameters of justice.

I don't personally know Mr. Price and I therefore never had the slightest "expectations of him." I'm not "mad" at him either, simply disgusted in the extreme with his pattern of exploitative self-dealing, deceit, manipulation and narcissism.

Louis de Leon has made multiple insightful posts explaining what's going on and why in this thread, and I agree with him wholeheartedly. Mr. Price has harmed not only those he swindled individually -- he has harmed this entire community, which is why its members need to explore what kind of "sentence" would be communally adequate: this thread has become -- in effect -- a discussion of that "sentence" by the "communal jury."

Personally, I think Mr. Price should count himself most fortunate that we don't tar and feather folks like him anymore.

Lady Charlotte
Dietrich von Stroheim
Archive Member

Post by Dietrich von Stroheim »

Let me just go on record as saying I hope I never draw the ire of a research librarian! :shock: :shock:
Sir Dietrich von Stroheim

The Dietrich Instructional Video Series: http://www.youtube.com/user/DietrichvonStroheim
Baron Eirik
Archive Member

Post by Baron Eirik »

Dietrich von Stroheim wrote:Let me just go on record as saying I hope I never draw the ire of a research librarian! :shock: :shock:
The Death of a Thousand Paper Cuts!
Master Eirik, MSCA
Munitions Grade Arms, Rattan & Thrusting Tips
Now on Facebook
Doorman
Archive Member
Location: Go to the middle of nowhere, hang a left and go past BFE. I'm the crazy guy standing under a tree.

Post by Doorman »

Dietrich von Stroheim wrote:Let me just go on record as saying I hope I never draw the ire of a research librarian! :shock: :shock:
+1 and Me too... :shock:

(side note: you going to NC Baronial B-day D?)
Avada Kedavera, meet Avtomat Kalashnikova
Halvgrimr wrote:I don't have the time to write like a English major when I am doing drive bys
Ewan
Archive Member

Post by Ewan »

Ayyup. Especially in the US. The amount of public data available in the US truly frightens most Canadians when they realize the scope of it.
Barnet
Archive Member

Post by Barnet »

nerd rage unbecoming and disgraceful, bad barnet no cookie

B
Last edited by Barnet on Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aaron
Archive Member

Post by Aaron »

So someone lies, cheats, steals, corrupts, bullies and you think it's honorable to let him carry on? :shock:
David Teague
Archive Member

Post by David Teague »

Barnet wrote:nerd rage unbecoming and disgraceful, bad barnet no cookie
Removed... nothing to see here folks, move along. 8)
Last edited by David Teague on Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Barnet
Archive Member

Post by Barnet »

nerd rage unbecoming and disgraceful, bad barnet no cookie
Last edited by Barnet on Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dietrich von Stroheim
Archive Member

Post by Dietrich von Stroheim »

Doorman wrote: (side note: you going to NC Baronial B-day D?)
Nope, I'm working Saturday and then heading over to HRH Michael of Bedford's practice on Sunday.

Drop me a line and let me know how you do in the tourney!
Sir Dietrich von Stroheim

The Dietrich Instructional Video Series: http://www.youtube.com/user/DietrichvonStroheim
Greg Mele
Archive Member

Post by Greg Mele »

Barnet,

Someone using their skills to prove a point - namely that the victimized's claims are likely legitimate and that the victimizor's defense are fabrications are not. is perfectly legitimate.

Every time someone walks into the Chivalry Bookshelf booth and buys a product they are unknowingly helping Brian Price *rob* the people who produced that work. This has been true of his books, his videos, some of his castings, and apparently, his leather goods. He is taking people's money that they assume goes to *all* legitimate parties and making them an unintended and undesired accomplice. And he has the gall to pretend that it is because of financial hardship when, as has been repeatedly established, he lived quite comfortably and has forgotten the first rule of self-employment: the business owner gets paid LAST.

It is not inflicting "pain and suffering" to hold a man accountable for what are clearly lies and theft, nor to let everyone say "oh well, it is he said - she said". That is the point, it isn't. There is a clear, on going pattern of behavior with Mr Price that dates back for two decades. He also has a clear pattern of how he dodges responsibility. The difference is, this finally has caught up with him. Even when, as I predicted, he has had friends come on here to defend him in absentia.

No one is making you read it, and this many posts in, if it was so unpalatable one can only ask why you have walked through all of this? Karma suggests that one's deeds are visited upon them in kind. That is precisely what is happening here. You don't want to be a witness to it, then don't be. But spare me the indignation.
Aaron
Archive Member

Post by Aaron »

Barnet wrote:nerd rage unbecoming and disgraceful, bad barnet no cookie
No problem, no foul. I've had more than my share of nerd rage here on the Archive about things that really don't matter. :oops:
Murdock
Something Different

Post by Murdock »

People know i sell Revival stuff, and have asked me about this.

So here ya go.

All i can say is Brian and Ann have been great to me and mine. He is my friend. They have given me stock to sell for some time, and let me keep the money. They have been nothing but nice to me.

I don't know enough about the legal stuff to comment. I hope it works out for everyone in the best way possible.

I've met Christian, he was nice and i liked his class. I will attest that when i was in the warehouse, there were many copies of Kal still in the cases. It is a beautiful work and i really enjoy it. I wish more people had bought it.

I simi Know Greg, i've been to a couple of his seminars, we used to talk online a zillion years ago. I have never had as much as a cross word with him. I have met Nicole maybe a dozen times. That's about it. I have Arte, again i enjoy it alot. Personally i've only sold 2 copies of it ever. I'm also friends with many of your students here in Milwaukee.

I think that some of theses issues are personal between Brian Greg and Christian. I don't know everything.

Doug i've hung out with at Kenwrecs and such.
I'm fuzzy on the shoe issues you and Brian have. As far as i can tell all of you (Doug, Brain, Valerius, Daffyd, me ect) basically use patterns based heavily on the ones in "Stepping through time" and the ones Valeruis reverse engineered. Same with pretty much everyone and armour, most of the patters eventually come back to Aaron and Wade.
You me, Valerius and Kenwrec even talked about shoes and patterning at Kenwrecs a while back.

So i'm not sure how those can be stolen, if everyone is useing the same research to do the same shoes.
The other commercial stuff? I dunno. I didn't "work here" yet.

But i have no beef with Doug personally or professionally or in any way at all. I like Doug, he's a good guy.

The guants that cracked? Bad temper in the whole batch. I was in the shop at Pennsic alot that war. I didn't know they were all failing like that at the time either.

Brian is trying to get people replacements. I've seen them all over their house and in the shop. I hope no one was hurt by the ones breakin.
Vitus you and i go way back, we're friends. You know i have no grudge or beef with you. Just saying what i saw in his shop. If i'd known they were bad at PEnnsic, i would have told ya.

The rest of the issues? Brian has not mentioned it to me in general. I didn't know anything about Fettered cock at all.

I do know a few other things that those not involved don't. I'm not sure what i should/can say. But Brian is not swimming in money like some may thing.

Why am i commenting? Because several people have emailed me about it. I don't know how Brian treats everyone. I know that to me he's been a good friend for several years.

I just wanted to say that.
Last edited by Murdock on Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.