"The Sword in Two Hands by Brian Price" review wan

For those of us who wish to talk about the many styles and facets of recreating Medieval armed combat.
Christian H. Tobler
Archive Member

Post by Christian H. Tobler »

Hi Vitus!
Vitus von Atzinger wrote:A vast majority of Brian's stunts are just not known to the average guy who talks to him once or twice a year. After you sit down with people who know about this stuff your mind will quickly be blown. The sheer amount of lying, scheming and cheating the guy has done is utterly astounding. I cannot understand what would let a person DO these things to so many people.
The word for the whole experience is 'heartbreaking'. When I first became suspicious about some of the wierder goings on of Brian's business, I didn't *want* to believe it, so I tuned a lot out until I no longer could without feeling like an idiot.

It's all ironic, because Brian did a lot in his early writings to elucidate the idea of renown. He seems to have forgotten that the negative renown mechanism applies to him too.

It's such a shame because the company was capable of, and did, much good early on. Heck, I got my first book published there, and this was fueled by Brian's faith in the project, and our friendship early on. For such a noble undertaking to have descended into such freakish disrepute is...well, abomination is the word I'm looking for.

Sigh. Well, you said it best: what a drag.

On the positive side: the experience taught Greg, Tom (Leoni), Adam (Velez), and I how *not* to run a business. We're now really happy with the direction our new business is going, and look forward to many years of not only successful publishing, but treating our authors, vendors, and resellers as fellow travelers on the chivalric path - not as disposable commodities.

Yours,

Christian
Rodney
Archive Member

Post by Rodney »

Christian,

Thank you for the detailed response. I will purchase a used copy of Fighting with the German Longsword, even if the price is more than a new copy.

I have purchased a copy of German Medieval Martial Arts Volume 1: The Poleaxe through Freelance Academy Press and absolutely love it. I highly recommend this DVD to anyone who wants to learn historical technique, sharpen their SCA game or just stare slack-jawed at beautiful armour and weapons.
-Rodney
Mercenary Company Nevermore, Nordskogen

“I have been known to drink cheap beer (and sake), only because I refuse to drink cheap scotch... And well ya gotta cut corners somewheres.” - Drogo Bryce
Christian H. Tobler
Archive Member

Thank you Scott et. al., not only for your patronage, but your moral support in this matter.

You guys are the best!

Yours,

Christian
Greg Mele
Archive Member

Post by Greg Mele »

Thanks to all for understanding the predicament former authors are in with CB. I was reminded last night that Brian's misadventures not only ripped of Jeffrey Forgeng, from the Higgins Armoury Museum, but threw two of his projects into limbo with who has the art permissions. This is not only a bitter pill, but damaging to Jeffrey's career, since he is a professional academic and publications are the breath of life.

Sigh.

Vitus nailed it. It *is* astonishing, and it speaks to absolutely no moral compass. A long way from those discussions on the old Tournament Companies list, eh, Vitus? (BTW, there is no evidence that Brian wrote anything for TSR, let alone invented the Drow. ;))

I'm glad the Freelance titles are proving useful. As to video - Christian has a messer, sword and buckler DVD coming out later this year, and we just posted our first download video last month. We will keep experimenting with both of these media, as well as doing combined media packages.

Oh, before I forget, Agilitas wrote me last night to say that the Longsword DVD will be available again in a few weeks. There is also a Vol 2 coming and a Sword and Buckler DVD this summer. We will be handling distribution, and FAP pays Agilitas *up front*, so I can guarantee that the producers are getting paid. :)

Christian and I don't get to post here that often, but we do look in, so if there is something you want to see or have feedback, please post or send an email on our CSR link. We really want to do it right.

Finally, Leo Medii is right, Josh Little is a great guy, and I'm glad to hear that Ars Gladii is getting up and running again. If you see Josh soon, tell him I haven't forgotten that I owe him a call - I just got back into town!

Best wishes, and sorry to have polluted the list with dirty laundry,

Greg
GenericUnique
Archive Member

Post by GenericUnique »

Greg Mele wrote:Oh, before I forget, Agilitas wrote me last night to say that the Longsword DVD will be available again in a few weeks. There is also a Vol 2 coming
Does this mean there's an English version of vol 2in the works? Joy!
Greg Mele wrote:doing combined media packages.
One thought while pondering what to buy from FAP next paycheck - a print-on-demand version of pdfs might be a good idea. 6 pages on the messer would be fine to print myself and staple together, but if another project went to say, 30+ pages, I'd probably want a more professional hard copy.
Greg Mele wrote:Best wishes, and sorry to have polluted the list with dirty laundry,

Greg
I think this needed to be aired. I had no idea, despite being aware of Tobler's books since at least 2007.
Tibbie Croser
Archive Member

Post by Tibbie Croser »

I feel ashamed reading all this, as I ordered a few products in the past from Chivalry Bookshelf/Revival.us without knowing all of the garbage. I have a couple of books on George Silver; I can't recall if those were from CB or not. I sold off my Revival brigandine gorget because it turned out to be a poor design for rapier (too much space between the neck and collar plates), though it was very comfortable.

Who are some *legitimate* sellers of the Light Sparring Gloves and the rapier gloves sold by Revival.us and Chiv Bookshelf? I like the gloves, but I'd rather buy them from another merchant after reading this.
Flittie Smeddum of Dagorhir
Tibbie Croser of the SCA
LeeC
Archive Member

Post by LeeC »

I remember the Thornbird Armor debacle.

I chalked it up to classic armourer overload and such because I did not want to believe that someone who so vocally espoused the chivalric ideals could possibly do such a thing, but it was bad.

My first inkling of what Christian and others have enlightened us on in regardfs to Chivalry Books was Dr. Forgengs work. When I asked him about his book on the messer and he politely changed the subject I got a sinking feeling in my stomach that only got worse as time went on.

Christian echoed my thoughts on all of this when he wrote
It's all ironic, because Brian did a lot in his early writings to elucidate the idea of renown. He seems to have forgotten that the negative renown mechanism applies to him too.

And most of all "heartbreakiing".
Last edited by LeeC on Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Christian H. Tobler
Archive Member

Hi Tibbie!

For those who liked the leather goods sold through Revival.us, the answer is simple: place your orders with Westland Crafts. They post here often.

They represent the same hardworking Pakistani craftsmen that Brian ripped off. And you can get all the same products: the sparring gloves, gorgets, ankle and thigh boots, etc. etc. Plus, they're coming out with new designs and are amenable to special orders.

So, there you have it. I also recommend Revival Clothing's leather goods line, all designed by Talbot!

Yours,

Christian
Greg Mele
Archive Member

Post by Greg Mele »

GenericUnique wrote: Does this mean there's an English version of vol 2in the works? Joy!
Yes! I have been pressing on this, and it seems that we are going to see one. I don't have a date, and I am sure that in part they want to recapture some sales on Vol 1, but it is in the works.
Greg Mele wrote: One thought while pondering what to buy from FAP next paycheck - a print-on-demand version of pdfs might be a good idea. 6 pages on the messer would be fine to print myself and staple together, but if another project went to say, 30+ pages, I'd probably want a more professional hard copy.
Great idea and fairly easy to do as an option!
Greg Mele wrote: I think this needed to be aired. I had no idea, despite being aware of Tobler's books since at least 2007.
No one did, and one of the hardest things for Christian and I has been having people bring us books to sign at Pennsic that they just bought down the way at the CB tent. Last thing I want is for people to feel like Tibbie - guilty. They did nothing wrong and we want the material out there. The fault is purely in one set of hands.
Christian H. Tobler
Archive Member

As Greg said, the book signing thing can be hard, but we don't want anyone but the perpetrator to suffer.

The truly APPALLING thing is that Brian is allowed to merchant at Pennsic, given his history, and continued practice of stealing other people's goods, intellectual property, and good will.

All the best,

Christian
Kilkenny
Archive Member

Post by Kilkenny »

This is all very sad to read.
Gavin Kilkenny
Proprietor
Noble Lion Leather
hardened leather armour and sundry leather goods
www.noblelionleather.com
Dietrich von Stroheim
Archive Member

Post by Dietrich von Stroheim »

:shock:

Christian, I have been recommending your Fighting with the German Longsword, to many beginning and intermediate SCA greatsword fighters.

This information you have brought for was entirely unknown to me, and I will have to reconsider how I handle this. On the one hand, I find your book valuable and useful to those who want to learn the longsword/greatsword.

On the other hand, I have no desire to put ill-gotten money into the hands of a dishonest knave who rapes his business partners.

And you know your own business of course, but my personal way of doing things is that I would gladly spend thousands to recover thousands...just on principle. Or, you may well be able to find an attorney to take this one on contingency.

Ok, I'll let go that issue, now.

But please advise when you publish new and additional works. A notification with an ordering link on the Archive would be well-received by many including myself.
Sir Dietrich von Stroheim

The Dietrich Instructional Video Series: http://www.youtube.com/user/DietrichvonStroheim
Cuan
Archive Member

No true knight

Post by Cuan »

I too have purchased products from Brian Price even as I have heard the grumblings about his practices over the years. We in the SCA tend (to our credit) to give people the benefit of the doubt and most of us will bend over backwards to find the good and explain away what is, in some cases, actual wickedness. Businesses fail and a man may suffer severe financial reversals, but in account after account, Brian has qactively refused to take responsibility or even apologize. That is the part that boggles the mind. Had I behaved in this manner for this long, I would be ashamed to appear at an event. I am pretty good at knowing the truth when I hear or read it and I have now made up my mind: I will do no business with Mr. Price. What's more, I will actively discourage others from doing so.

As a knight and a royal peer, I take my role and that of my brothers and sisters very seriously. Nor do I believe (unless one actually is a sociopath) that one can separate who he is in one setting from who he is in another. A knight is always a knight (even, and sometimes especially, when he is merhcanting in a white belt). Therefore I charge that Brian has shown himself to be a false knight. I here offer him the chance to disprove this claim upon my body with weapons of SCA combat and per SCA rules at the earliest opportunity. I suggest bouts of 25 counted blows with longsword to start. I will be attending Gulf Wars and Pennsic.
Tibbie Croser
Archive Member

Post by Tibbie Croser »

Greg, Sir Christian, et al., I feel embarrassed because I've worked in publishing for many years (copy editor) and I have friends/acquaintances who are published authors. I truly hate the idea of authors being ripped off by dishonest publishers.

I'm dismayed, too, because so many people on the Archive and other sites over the years have promoted Brian Price's books, especially TOMAR, and his other products. I imagine most of them did so with good intentions. He's been held up as an idol. Meanwhile, some "outsiders" to the Archive have been treated far more harshly for much lesser sins.
Flittie Smeddum of Dagorhir
Tibbie Croser of the SCA
Thorsteinn Raudskeggr
Archive Member

Post by Thorsteinn Raudskeggr »

OK. What about the books and DVD's sold via the Purpleheart Armoury website?

They seem to be good guys. Do they know about all this mishigas? If not, then they should.

-Ivan
When the World shout's "Give Up!", Hope whispers "Try one more time".

"If you're a guy full of sh** without the gold medal...when you get the gold medal, you're still a guy full of sh**"- Didier Berthod, First Ascent
Christian H. Tobler
Archive Member

Gentles,

While I come from a different organization, I too take knighthood very seriously.

Cuan, regardless of who strikes more blows, Brian is a false knight, for no victory in the lists can undo the harm he's caused.

Purpleheart does carry some CB titles, though less and less these days. In any case, whatever they have has already been paid for, so do buy their stock - the Darce's are damn fine folks and friends of mine. I won't realize any income from it, but at least they won't take the loss, and that's important to me.

Let me repeat a sentiment expressed by Greg: none of CB's customers are to blame. People are just now becoming 'in the know', but prior to this they couldn't have known the full extent of this treacherous behavior.

Thanks again for the support guys!!

Yours in arms,

Christian
Ed Toton
Archive Member

Post by Ed Toton »

In a way I'm glad to see this all coming to light. The rabbit hole is far deeper than I initially realized. It only strengthens my resolve to avoid doing business with this false knight.

Heartbreaking really is a good word for this.
JoshLittle
Archive Member

Post by JoshLittle »

For anyone looking for a fine translation of a major work in the Liechtenauer tradition, definietly check out Christian's In Saint Georges Name. Not only will you get a translation of the entirety of the Codex 44a8 (aka von Danzig) but also several interpretive and scholarly article on other parts of the tradition. And no CB baggage to boot.

@Greg - Thanks for the kind words. Reading your guy's review of VISS made me sorry I missed it. Whenever you get a chance to call is cool with me.

Josh Little
Ars Gladii
Aaron
Archive Member

Post by Aaron »

Leo Medii wrote:
plus a DVD on poleaxe combat, German Medieval Martial Arts Volume 1: The Poleaxe,
Got this the day it was released. We use it all the time in our study group. I highly recommend it, and hope there are other volumes in future. The DVD format makes it very easy to recreate the techniques quickly.
This is on my wish list for my birthday.

http://www.freelanceacademypress.com/poleaxedvd.aspx

Impressive and recommended by Leo is doubly impressive.
With respect,

-Aaron
Ron Broberg wrote: For someone who came into this cold and old and full of doubts, that's just half-bad! :twisted: :D
SirOlafr
Archive Member

Post by SirOlafr »

I feel dirty.

I am going to toss his book into the trash right now.
"The unforgivable crime is soft hitting. Do not hit at all if it can be avoided; but never hit softly."-Theodore Roosevelt

Dogs of War
Steel Fighters

SCA:
KSCA, AEthelmearc
House Anephedros
Former squire to Count Robin Wallace
Therion
Archive Member

Post by Therion »

Christian H. Tobler wrote:
Purpleheart does carry some CB titles, though less and less these days. In any case, whatever they have has already been paid for, so do buy their stock - the Darce's are damn fine folks and friends of mine. I won't realize any income from it, but at least they won't take the loss, and that's important to me.
This entire thread has been a horrifying but fascinating read, and has helped fill in the blanks on some of what I (as another member of the "HEMA business community") have suspected/figured out on my own after reading between the lines for years.

That said, I will absolutely second Christian's recommendation of Purpleheart Armoury and the Darces' - if PH has any of the Chivalry Bookshelf books you want in stock, order from them with a free heart and clear conscience.

Christian, Greg, Tom, and the other folks at Freelance Academy Press also receive my highest recommendations as both scholars and businessmen.
Hal Siegel - TherionArms
Historical swords, weapons, and armor
http://www.therionarms.com
http://www.facebook.com/TherionArms
Christoffer
Archive Member

Post by Christoffer »

Gentlemen please take whatever legal action is available to you. If there is a criminal aspect to this please take that action as well as the civil. This man needs to be imprisoned.
Oule Mele Fruntea Ta
Vitus von Atzinger
Archive Member

Post by Vitus von Atzinger »

I've done enough. Good luck, everyone.
Last edited by Vitus von Atzinger on Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aaron
Archive Member

Post by Aaron »

Sometimes the fall from grace is a very far fall, especially if one was trying to walk the ladder to great heights, while the bottom of the ladder is in a cesspool and sinking fast. :(

This is sad.

Make sure your foundation is secure. Something about a house built on a rock and another on sand... :(
jester
Archive Member

Post by jester »

Ladies and Gentlemen,

In this terrible situation do not let your disappointment and anger cloud your judgement lest you besmirch your own reputation in your grief and rage.
"Success consists of getting up just one more time than you fall."
Christian H. Tobler
Archive Member

Hi Jester,
jester wrote:In this terrible situation do not let your disappointment and anger cloud your judgement lest you besmirch your own reputation in your grief and rage.
Could you please clarify this? As no one has reacted outlandishly, I'm not sure what you're implying.

All the best,

Christian
jester
Archive Member

Post by jester »

I believe, sir, that some people are beginning to react overly strongly. I don't wish to tell anyone how to feel, but neither do I wish to see anyone allow their emotions to place them at risk of sullying their reputations by posting in the heat of the moment. A knight has fallen in the worst way. Let us all continue to speak the truth and remember courtesy.
"Success consists of getting up just one more time than you fall."
Christian H. Tobler
Archive Member

Thank you for your clarification Jester.

Given that, I'll say "well spoken, sir".

All the best,

Christian
Christian H. Tobler
Archive Member

Hal, my friend,

Thank you.

Yours,

Christian
Tostig
Archive Member

Post by Tostig »

Thanks all for sharing. I am grateful to know. This thread needs to be sticky!
Yojimbo
Archive Member

Post by Yojimbo »

Damn, I didn't knoiw this either. Glad I got my highland swordsmanship books second hand ....
Never Trust a Fart.
Christoffer
Archive Member

Post by Christoffer »

-------------
Last edited by Christoffer on Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oule Mele Fruntea Ta
Armand d'Alsace
Archive Member

Post by Armand d'Alsace »

I have just one book from CB in my bookshelf
"Medieval Sword and Shield" by Wagner and Hand.
How much royalties should I paypal where?
Respectfully, Armand

(formerly Arngrim)
Guy Dawkins
Archive Member

Post by Guy Dawkins »

If you (as I) have purchased titles from CB, you did so in good faith that the authors had and were receiving their due compensation.

Future purchases through CB would not fall into this category.

What recourse do the authors have for a new publishing house to print future editions?
Guy Dawkins
Barony of Ayreton
Kingdom of the Middle
This whole mad slide into hell started when we let California have it's own pizza.
Honor virtutis praemium
Archive Member

Post by Otto von Teich »

This is a sad state of affairs. I've heard a few rumours and grumblings over the years about Brians practices. Up till now, I never knew of the extent of his shenanagins.. This thread confirms my worst suspicions, and then some. :( I feel so sorry for you guys. I've been ripped off myself by a resin model kit producer I though was a friend many years ago. Same song and dance, no royalties we had agreed to for my work, Only partial payments for some of the work done. Only one copy of half of the sculptures I produced. Lies about production numbers...excuse after excuse ect.. He ripped of all the other sculptors and artists who worked for him as well. It took awhile for those ripped off to compare notes and realize what a scammer he was..SAME MO EXACTLY! I almost wonder if these scammers attend a special school to learn their ways.. :( Its like SOP for this type of person.
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.