"The Sword in Two Hands by Brian Price" review wan

For those of us who wish to talk about the many styles and facets of recreating Medieval armed combat.
Gaston de Vieuxchamps
Archive Member

Post by Gaston de Vieuxchamps »

As to the standard of living thing, can anyone here confirm one way or the other whether or not he also owns a plane? Someone unaware of this thread just told me that the other day and seemed pretyy confident. I was also told 3 days ago Brian said he was on his way overseas. Any word?

Gaston de Vieuxchamps

(Not the Gaston that earlier defended Brian. I too have had only positive dealings with him but after a thorough reading I have no doubt he really is the Bernie Madoff of the medievalist world)
"Non Omne Quod Licet Honestum Est."
Vitus von Atzinger
Archive Member

Post by Vitus von Atzinger »

I've done enough. Good luck, everyone.
Last edited by Vitus von Atzinger on Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gilbertdeschamps
Archive Member

Post by gilbertdeschamps »

ANNOUNCEMENT BY COLIN GABRIEL HATCHER, NEWLY ELECTED PRESIDENT OF THE SCHOLA SAINT GEORGE

To all interested persons:

For personal reasons the founder and President of the Schola Saint George, Brian Price, has tendered his resignation to the Schola Saint George Board of Directors. The resignation follows posts in public internet forums in which questionable business practices have been alleged against Brian. As a result of these allegations, and because of the need to address these issues privately, Brian has elected to depart from the Schola Saint George, lest the Schola’s members be adversely affected by association with the personal and business disputes Brian now finds himself involved in.

Following Brian’s resignation, the Board of Directors held an emergency meeting to discuss his departure and to address two urgent matters that had also come to the Board’s attention through postings on the internet. The first concerned a loss of corporate status in the state of Texas where the organization is registered. The other concerned whether members’ personal injury and liability insurance was adversely affected by the loss of corporate status in Texas. The Board extends its thanks to those who posted this information online and thus alerted the Board to these issues.

On the issue of Brian’s resignation, the Board accepted the resignation and thanks Brian deeply for his foundational work in creating the Schola Saint George and for all of the time, resources and work he has put into the organization over the past 10 years. The Board will not forget his contribution. The Board of Directors, which is the sole official voice for the Schola Saint George, has no comment on the merits of the publicly aired business disputes Brian now finds himself involved in, and hopes that all parties involved are able to resolve these disputes as expeditiously as possible and to mutual satisfaction.

At the emergency meeting the Board accepted nominations for a new President to serve the Schola Saint George. Elected to the office of President was Colin Hatcher, Esq., who has been with the Schola Saint George since 2001 and is an instructor for the organization, specializing in the grappling and dagger curricula. Mr. Hatcher is also a civil trial attorney in the San Francisco Bay Area. Also elected to the Board at the emergency meeting was Charles Deily, SSG Instructor for the Boston group.

The Schola Saint George Board of Directors now consists of the following 5 persons:
President: Colin Hatcher, Esq.
Vice-President: Robert C. Holland, Ph.D
Secretary and COO: Lt. Col. Bryan Johnson
Treasurer: Jason Willis, Leader of the Little Rock SSG Study Group
Board Member: Charles Deily, Instructor for the Boston SSG group

The Schola Saint George was granted its 501(c)(3) non-profit status as of September 2010. While it was originally "Brian and Robert's" group, once it became a non-profit organization it was and is no longer the “property” of any one person. Officers of this non-profit, as with any non-profit organization, are appointed to serve its mission and are charged with a fiduciary duty to protect it and advance its interests over their own. At the emergency meeting the Board of Directors noted that Brian fulfilled his fiduciary duty to the non-profit by resigning from the Board of Directors in the light of matters that could potentially cause grave harm to the organization.

The Schola Saint George through its Board of Directors has resolved to keep the Schola distant and distinct from any disputes between third parties and Brian Price and will not enter into any discussions on those matters. For the Schola to involve itself in the business disputes of third parties would violate our mission statement and breach our legal duty to the organization. On the other hand, we cannot control, nor would we seek to control, personal comments and opinions made by our members in public forums. Please be aware therefore that while any Schola member is free to comment, should any Schola Saint George member make public comments on discussion boards about any of these issues, they speak for themselves alone and do not speak for the Schola Saint George.

At its emergency meeting the Board addressed the issue of the temporary suspension of the organization’s corporate status in the State of Texas. A resolution was passed to immediately seek legal advice on this matter and to resolve this as quickly as possible. This resolution has already been implemented and is ongoing and we anticipate the resurrection of our Texas corporate status in about 90 days.

An issue was also brought to the Board’s attention by a post on the internet raising the question of whether the Schola’s personal injury/liability insurance coverage had been adversely affected by the issue with the organization’s temporary loss of corporate status in Texas. The Board resolved to investigate this issue immediately, and in an abundance of caution issued a moratorium on all official training under the name Schola Saint George.

The Schola Saint George’s current insurance policy, like many other martial arts organizations, was obtained through the reputable Francis L. Dean & Associates. Mr. Hatcher personally discussed this matter with a representative of Francis L. Dean & Associates on February 25, 2011 and was assured in writing that the Schola’s insurance is in place and remains unaffected by any issues of corporate status in Texas. In reliance on the representations made to Mr. Hatcher by Francis L. Dean & Associates, all Schola members are hereby informed that the insurance is secure and training by all covered persons may resume.

The Schola Saint George is a non-profit school of chivalric martial arts dedicated to promoting study of historical fighting systems through research, training, and competition, and is further committed to the exploration and application of chivalry in the modern era. The Board of Directors with its new President is committed to continuing that mission into the future.

We invite all current Schola Saint George members at this time of change to note that our Mission has not changed, to re-dedicate themselves to the Schola’s Mission, and to continue sharing this highly enjoyable journey with us. In addition we extend our fraternal greetings to all of our like-minded colleagues in other Western Martial Arts schools worldwide, and extend particular thanks to those organizations that have reached out to us at this time.

Presidents come and go. The Mission remains.

Sincerely
Colin Hatcher, Esq.
President
Schola Saint George
colinhatcher@gmail.com
Flechyr

Post by Flechyr »

Right, so, I'm not here much, and pretty-much never post, but this comment just really pushed my buttons.
Gaston de Clermont wrote:...I think with Brian he started out with the best of intentions. He wanted to share some great historical work and armour with people because it's something he's passionate about. I know there are a lot of great books on my shelves, and armour in my shop that are a direct result of the good work he has done.
He's never directly wronged me, although I have had do go well beyond the normal process to have orders delivered after payment...and dealing with quality issues.

However, my main beef is strictly character based in relation to the above quote, and, especially more so to his lack of professionalism as a typesetter, editor, and designer.

Character:
My first meeting with Brian was in 2003 at the Medieval Congress in Kalamazoo, MI. I was, and still am, the Art Director and Graphic Designer for Bolchazy-Carducci publishers, and had personally only been getting involved in the WMA for the past few years, so it was a great opportunity to meet the man publishing these "wonderful" books.

Unfortunately, he proved himself an arrogant ass instantly to me, never once mentioning any of the authors, or their work, only that HE made the books, and that HE was solely responsible for the revival of the texts, etc., blah, blah. He was rude, condescending, and dismissive.

Professionalism:
OK, he's an ass, I thought, many of us are, but he's putting out important material--except there were far too many typos, editing errors, design no-nos, etc., for professional level publications, so I approached him again with an offer of good will, offering my help as a long-time professional designer, willing to work for a reduced rate, especially since the material was of interest to me.

Again, I got the "what do you know, I'M the professional, not you" attitude thrown at me--it was very clear--and near directly in those words.

So, I wrote him off, and eventually, a few years later (2007 or so) started to talk with others I'd befriended in the community, and I started to hear the horror stories of how edits would go astray, appear wrong, names spelled wrong, etc., let alone eventually being taken into confidence about many of the things already mentioned in this thread (and by others not even mentioned, yet).

Eventually, after a lot of hard thought and conversation, we created FAP, with the intent of being better--not only in serving the community, but damn sure that we take care of our authors, and especially respecting their work, presenting it as professionally and cleanly as possible. (Just ask Greg, Christian, or Tom, they'll tell you that I'm kind of a hard ass when it comes to getting things as right as possible :P)

I have many other anecdotes, stories, and personal encounters which could lay even more dirt on Brian's character, let alone his research methods, but they are moot, and not my place or desire to speak of. Leave it that, as more an outsider than many of you around him, I was witness to a great deal of utter idiocy and douchebaggery from this man.

Oh, and according to a recent post on FB, he may no longer own the Durango, he spoke of having a positive experience with his Cadillac Escalade. (A petty shot, yes, I admit, but true, nonetheless *sigh*)

Simply, boors piss me off, and arrogant loser boors who pass themselves off as professionals, while clearly being deficient in their supposed profession are the worst.

Yes, this too, is long-time pent up frustration as one professional designer toward the shoddy and negligent work of another, and the great disrespect he ultimately showed toward the work of others.

Sorry folks, I just needed to vent. Like I said, this really triggered a serious button in me, and I admit that it feels good to be able to truly let it out for once.

Also, please let us/me know if you ever find any typos, deficiencies, errors, oddities, etc. in our/my work--they will be addressed and fixed in future printings/editions, I assure you.

Sincerely and with great regret that any of this ever came to pass in the first place,

Adam Velez
(THL Adrian Flechyr, CE, CBR)

Art Director & Sr. Graphic Designer
Bolchazy-Carducci Publishers, Inc.
www.bolchazy.com

Production and Design Manager
Freelance Academy Press
www.freelanceacademypress.com
Flechyr

Post by Flechyr »

Absolutely the best of luck and success, Colin, and all of SSG.

Adam/Adrian
Company of Saint Jude
www.companyofsaintjude.com
Stump
Archive Member
Location: End of the road, last house on the right, West Virginia.

Post by Stump »

Aaron wrote::shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Brian,

If you want to reverse your fortunes, write a book about what's going on. This is a mystery wrapped in a mystery with money, knights, international intrique and Texas sized houses all wrapped up into one tight mystery.

I'm interested now.

-Aaron
Well when you put it like that, so am I. :wink:
Judeo-Christian morality, Greco-Roman philosophy, and Anglo-Saxon law

bad, and counter-revolutionary...with sparklies
Greg Mele
Archive Member

Post by Greg Mele »

Colin,

Let me say that I am very happy that the insurance issue is resolved and the incorporation soon to be. FL Dean has been exemplary to work with, so I have no doubt that you can trust their counsel.

As to the rest...however it came to pass, I am confident that you will do an excellent job as SSG's president, and I am very glad that the school will continue on. Whatever the issues between Brian and the rest of us, I hope it is clear that no one has ever considered the SSG, it's officers or students to be tarred with the same brush. As with any serious students of the sword, my hopes are that the school will continue to flourish in whatever new course it sets.

Murdoch,

Thank you for the kind words. I recall the earliest days of the Archive, when we used to chat all of the time, as well. Good times. ;) And I would never fault you for stepping in to give your personal experiences about the Price's - if I can criticize, certainly you can laud. Give my greetings to your delightful lady - I haven't seen her in ages.

Best wishes,

GDM
John Smith

Post by John Smith »

You people should be ashamed of yourselves. Every man has an inalienable right to life, liberty, a Jaguar, an Escalade, Mcmansion, collection of rare books and artifacts, and to use other people's works without compensation or credit. :x
Arm? What arm?
Gethin
Archive Member

Post by Gethin »

John Smith wrote:You people should be ashamed of yourselves. Every man has an inalienable right to life, liberty, a Jaguar, an Escalade, Mcmansion, collection of rare books and artifacts, and people's work. :x
This is contextual masturbastion.
All the best,
Rhys
"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses - behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights.” - Muhammad Ali
Peikko
Archive Member
Location: Formerly the sunny bit of England...Now returned to Malagentia, EK.

Post by Peikko »

John Smith wrote:You people should be ashamed of yourselves. Every man has an inalienable right to life, liberty, a Jaguar, an Escalade, Mcmansion, collection of rare books and artifacts, and to use other people's works without compensation or credit. :x
:lol: :lol: :lol: 8)
"trust me, I'm an archaeologist..."
The Iron Door Collective
http://www.swordfightexeter.org/
Aaron
Archive Member

Post by Aaron »

"I am Elmer J. Fudd, miwwonaire. I own a mansion and a yacht!"
Grimr Hvitulfsson Ulfhamr
Archive Member

Post by Grimr Hvitulfsson Ulfhamr »

One maybe stupid question. I don't know the US legal system at all so maybe that's why I'm a bit confused, but can't anyone do anything through the legal system in this royalty case?

I mean in Finland if you don't pay your debts, they usually take the money out of your salary month by month or if you don't have any income, they will come to your house and take your stuff. If you don't have that either, then you might end up in jail or at least be unable to own anything before you have paid.

GrimR
"My Tae Kwon Do instructor tells me I'm just two moves away from becoming quite threatening!"
- Dr. Niles Crane
Christian H. Tobler
Archive Member

Post by Christian H. Tobler »

Greetings to all,

This thread has gone in directions, and uncovered information, that were beyond my expectations. Thanks in particular to Lady Charlotte, for uncovering just how creepy some of it really is.

@Murdock: You have my goodwill, and my sympathies, sir. I say the latter because I've been where you are right now - liking Brian as a friend, but having heard some stories that I uncomfortably found myself dissembling about. In a way, it's the story of my years of now-ended friendship with Brian, and I do not envy you the troubled sleep and mixed emotions that you are likely now experiencing.

Unfortunately, as some relayed back-channel word testifies, Brian still *doesn't get it*. It's still other people's fault to him, not his. And indeed this is the worldview of the classic narcissist.

Let me close by saying that I am very pleased to see that the SSG has quickly evolved a plan for going forward as an organization. I salute their quick action, and I'd like to remind everyone here that there is no ill-will between the claimants here and the membership of SSG, whose continued success is something that Greg, the other authors, Adam, and I whole-heartedly support.

All the best,

Christian
Jeff J
Archive Member
Location: Adrift Just Off the Islets of Langerhans: Latitude N 39° 2' 55.3, Longitude W 104° 48' 50.4

Post by Jeff J »

Grimr Hvitulfsson Ulfhamr wrote:One maybe stupid question. I don't know the US legal system at all so maybe that's why I'm a bit confused, but can't anyone do anything through the legal system in this royalty case?
Not stupid.

{conjecture}

Each person he owes money to will have to hire a lawyer to take it to court and prove he owes them money. This is often expensive and time consuming, especially across state lines, with no guarantee that you will win. And sometimes, even if you do win, the other person can dodge paying by some trickery.

The only people assured of a win are the lawyers, (and lawyers make the laws and the process slanted so you need them) but that discussion probably belongs over in political.
BONANZA!!!
Dierick
Archive Member

Post by Dierick »

I'm saddened to see someone who was quite an idol to me in my youth, have such a reputation now. :sad:
Mike F
Archive Member

Post by Mike F »

Grimr Hvitulfsson Ulfhamr wrote:One maybe stupid question. I don't know the US legal system at all so maybe that's why I'm a bit confused, but can't anyone do anything through the legal system in this royalty case?
I agree with Jeff that this isn't a stupid question.

Such a lawsuit will take months or years and cost a large sum of money. At the end of the suit the judge can make decisions very similar to what you describe, or any other terms (within legal limits) to make sure the debts are paid but the payer isn't bled dry.

It comes down to what the judge decides is appropriate, assuming he finds evidence conclusive to there being a violated contract or a legally binding debt.

But like Jeff alluded to, the lawyers will make tens of thousands of dollars on the deal, perhaps hundreds, and that will be payed by one or both parties.

Court cases between states are almost as difficult as court cases between nations. The legal systems are all different, you have to argue over where to try the case (and thus whose laws to use) and then travel possibly hundreds of miles to get to a court room.

Short answer: There are options. But you need to really want to do it and dedicate months or years to it.

I am not a lawyer. That was not legal advice.
It's up to you now.
Baron Alcyoneus
Archive Member

Post by Baron Alcyoneus »

When I took a business law course, the professor (moonlighting at the university, he was a practicing lawyer) told us about an inheritance case in England in the 17th?18th?? Centuries.

Yes, CENTURIES.

It took 185 years to settle the case.

Do you know who he told us the winner was?

The lawyers.

So let us say that he sold 500 books for each of the guys that were cheated, and they each were supposed to pocket $5/book. That is $2500 each is owed, and they all need to sue. They could combine the case, if they were lucky- I certainly don't know TX law (although Mail Fraud could be involved), and only have to pay ONE lawyer. Maybe they might get a judgment for a significant fraction of what they were owed.

Then more money spent to try and collect.

Which is what small time con-men bet on.
Vypadni z mého trávník!

Does loyalty trump truth?

"If they hurt you, hurt them back. If they kill you, walk it off."- Captain America
Vitus von Atzinger
Archive Member

Post by Vitus von Atzinger »

Aaron wrote:"I am Elmer J. Fudd, miwwonaire. I own a mansion and a yacht!"
This is -by far- the most brilliant post I have ever read on this website. It will never be (and can never be) topped.
K. Larson

Post by K. Larson »

Having moved to Dallas less than a year ago, I have studied under/with Brian Price at SSG-Dallas.

While I cannot, and will not, defend him against the specific allegations that have been made on this forum, I feel that I am obligated to speak.

I had no experience in WMA prior to meeting Brian. I have never transacted with Brian for any equipment (save for those traded over-the-counter), nor for any products or publications offered for sale. In my dealings as a student, I have been impressed with the courtesy, patience, and professionalism he has shown me and my family.

It appears that Brian may be a villain; if so, let him be trod under for it... yet I wish with all my heart it were not so.

For myself, I can't vouch for Brian's business ethics, yet neither can I pretend that I have not known the man better than some who have made light of this affair, although not as well as many who have accused him.

I am saddened to have written this. Whatever his faults, the man has been nothing but a friend to me.

I have nothing but respect for everyone I have read on this forum, and trust I have not given offense in speaking.
Trevor
Archive Member

Post by Trevor »

I have only known the man in passing. I have had reasonably good business dealings with him, and have sent others to him for their business.

I learned a lot from Brian about Chivalry: Reknown, Generosity, Franchise, Prowess, Honesty, Loyalty, Faith, Justice, Courage, and Largesse.

That said, for this many close friends to turn on the man gives me notice, for one I would expect; two I could rationalize, but for over a dozen to speak publicly against him so? That is more than I can write off to chance or bad luck.

I grieve.
"Thomas you are the bad guy because you have dared to embrace such concepts as patriotism, duty, and honor. If you add fidelity, trust, courage, and fortitude you have the new version of the seven deadly sins. " -Winterfell

www.kcsword.com
Agnarr
Archive Member

Post by Agnarr »

I let him touch my feet once. It went ok. He didn't try anything funny.
Damon wrote:In their own little world they are like this huge evil overlord however in the grand scheme of things they are just this sad little hamster going squeek squeek squeek in their own little ball.
Galleron
Archive Member

Post by Galleron »

Greg Mele wrote:All,

As Christian said, we can't get into too many specifics here, specifically because of the possibility of pending legal activity, but I can indeed state that there is a good reason that CB production schedule ground to a halt. Besides the two printers that Mr Price defaulted on paying while I was associated with CB, there are the royalty issues that Christian mentioned. Here's a few specifics:

1. To date, I have received exactly zero dollars for Arte Gladiatoria: 15th century swordsmanship of Filippo Vadi and my co-author one statement of $350.

2. Mark Rector received one payment of $300 for Highland Swordsmanship and nothing for Highland Broadsword. Seeing as the former has gone into at least three printings (meaning Brian has sold at least 3000 copies of the book), and the later into two printings, that is no more than 1/15 th of what he is owed.

3. Tom Leoni received one royalty payment for [Art of Dueling[/i], which has since gone out of print. His royalties amount to less than $0.30/copy, or about 1/10 of what they should have been.

4. When I last spoke to John Michael Greer, last year, he had never received a royalty payment from Mr. Price.

5. Stephen Hand has never received a royalty payment for English Swordsmanship, and only one or two for his previous books.

Simply put, Mr Price has not fulfilled his contract obligations at best and has flat out robbed the intellectual property of his authors at worst. You add to this his launch of his leather goods line by replicating products that he did not design, nor had permission to use, his alleged failures to pay Westland Crafts for tens of thousands of dollars of leather goods, and his history as an armourer and the picture presented is not very pretty.

Customers should do as they wish, but they should also know that the authors/designers are not and have not been receiving any compensation for their work, and that any claims made my the Prices to the contrary is a blatant lie.

Let's just leave it that "Chivalry Bookshelf" would perhaps be better named Caveat Emptor Bookshelf

Like Christian, I hate having to write these things, and have held my tongue for years, but enough is enough.

Best wishes,

Gregory
You and the other authors have my deepest sympathies. I wish you well in any attempts to achieve a more just outcome.

I hope that you have considered pooling your legal efforts. I would think that most off you would be facing fairly similar legal issues, so some economies might be possible there.
Galleron

http://willscommonplacebook.blogspot.com: My Blog
http://www.cafepress.com/Commonplacegood: My CafePress store for medieval recreation and the Middle Ages
Jeff J
Archive Member
Location: Adrift Just Off the Islets of Langerhans: Latitude N 39° 2' 55.3, Longitude W 104° 48' 50.4

Post by Jeff J »

Galleron wrote: I hope that you have considered pooling your legal efforts. I would think that most off you would be facing fairly similar legal issues, so some economies might be possible there.
I suspect that's what Christian was hinting at earlier.

[puts on turban]

I see Brian moving assets to shelters (aka "Having a trailer stolen") and filing "Chapter 11" in 3... 2... 1...
BONANZA!!!
Christian H. Tobler
Archive Member

Post by Christian H. Tobler »

Hi Jeff,

While that would hardly be the best outcome, it would at least end this business' ability to hurt anyone further.

Yours,

Christian
gaukler
Archive Member

writer beware

Post by gaukler »

Writer Beware would like more information:

Personal Website: www.victoriastrauss.com
Writer Beware: www.writerbeware.org
Writer Beware Blog: www.accrispin.blogspot.com
Writer Beware® is actively seeking documentation.

We maintain an extensive archive of documentation on literary agents, independent editors, vanity publishers, self-publishing services, small presses, and others that engage in the questionable practices we warn about in these pages. If you have letters, contracts, brochures or other material you think we would like to see, please help us build our database by sending them to:

Victoria Strauss
PO Box 1216
Amherst MA 01004
or e-mail us. (beware@sfwa.org)

http://www.sfwa.org/for-authors/writer-beware/
Gaukler Medieval Wares
http://www.medievalwares.com
Baron Eirik
Archive Member

Re: writer beware

Post by Baron Eirik »

gaukler wrote:Writer Beware would like more information:

Personal Website: www.victoriastrauss.com
Writer Beware: www.writerbeware.org
Writer Beware Blog: www.accrispin.blogspot.com
Writer Beware® is actively seeking documentation.

We maintain an extensive archive of documentation on literary agents, independent editors, vanity publishers, self-publishing services, small presses, and others that engage in the questionable practices we warn about in these pages. If you have letters, contracts, brochures or other material you think we would like to see, please help us build our database by sending them to:

Victoria Strauss
PO Box 1216
Amherst MA 01004
or e-mail us. (beware@sfwa.org)

http://www.sfwa.org/for-authors/writer-beware/
Thank you. I have some friends that are aspiring writers who will appreciate this.
Master Eirik, MSCA
Munitions Grade Arms, Rattan & Thrusting Tips
Now on Facebook
Chris Gilman
Archive Member

Post by Chris Gilman »

I saw this thread at the first page and thought, oh well; another group of people who think Brian is some great____. However, this evening it was brought to my attention that it was now something very different. My response was “Me adding anything to this thread is like telling the Japanese; “Here are some documents of a thing called, the Manhattan project.” But after reading the thread, I had to post a couple of things.
It was brought up, that if this was such a bad person, why did no on speak up before? I as well as many others have been trying to get people to investigate Brian for 20 years. I asked the Kingdoms’ of Caid and the West to look into inappropriate conduct by one of their royal peers. But I was told, “No, that’s a mundane matter.”
I posted this here in Jan 2003, I just regret not including a name. But many people knew who I was talking about because I have related this story many times.

I know an armourer/ author that back in the mid 80’s, early 90’s, collected over $21,000 in deposits from 5 people and didn't deliver. I was one of them. To my knowledge I was the only one who received some armour and it was far short of what was promised.
I was given a helmet, as a birthday present, that this person made and it is great. One of his early pieces and it is well made, expertly shaped and dead on to the real helmet. So I asked for the rest of the Churburg #13 suit in the same quality. He gave me a price, I agreed and gave him a 50% deposit. The first delivery, 9 months later was the breastplate & legs. The breast was to small and it fell apart in the box on the way to Pennsic. I couldn’t even put it on. The legs were way to small. I didn’t bother to take delivery of them. (Another problem with many armours, getting the fit right)
The new legs where delivered 2 years later and they looked Great! I was very excited and couldn’t wait to see the rest of the suit. (I found out later the legs where made by someone else, no matter they where delivered.) After much hounding and “Peer” pressure the rest of the harness was delivered 6 years later, 8 years from the promised delivery date! The suit was pathetic. It was badly shaped and ill fitting not at all what was promised, certainly not of the same quality as the helmet or legs. It was obvious that it was slapped together to get me off his back. The gauntlets where being held for the balance due (about 25%) but I said forget it; they are not worth the money. I was trying to be understanding but after 8 years I was “grumpy”. The rest of the people that I had contacted did not receive any armour. One client that I still see on a regular basis has not received a single piece of armour. He gave this armourer a $4000 cash deposit over 9 years ago. (Against my advice)
I raised this point with the SCA and they crawled under a rock and said it was a mundane matter. I pointed out that this Royal Peer was a Knight (a person I campaigned for to become a knight, foolish me.) and a Laurel and was using his titles to get commissions in and outside the SCA. After moving to the West he continued with this practice and was investigated by the crown up there. I do not think anything serious was done. But what ever was done I know of at least four people who are out a total of $17,000 bucks. (I don’t count myself because I did receive something, but it was still a bad deal and other than the legs the suit is unusable.) These people did not get lost or where unknown to the armourer. So I would not beat yourself up to much.
But as a business owner, I do agree that armouers must learn responsibility and if they take a commission, they must deliver as promised. As customers, we must insist on on-time delivery or responsible communication from the artist on what the status is of our orders.
My helms off to Cad for his practice of keeping people updated on their orders using his web site.

It was also stated, He didn’t start out this way….
Well if he didn’t, he started this 25 years ago. I have had people come to me with “issues” not long after I met Brian (1984 or 85).
Back in 1991 (or about) my ex girl friend made sword fitting masters and parts for him, Brian never paid for and when she took back her molds and masters, he copied and reproduced them. Brian also said he had a deal with Jodi Sampson (Conan Knife maker) to reproduce one of Jodie’s signature knives, he did not. Jodi told Brian he would take legal action if Brian sold his knife design. (This after we spent nearly $900 on equipment and labor making waxes of this knife for him)
As a business owner I have had dealings with 3 individuals with this same M.O.; On the surface they come across as a super nice guy, always willing to help and if something appears irregular, well it must have been a fluke or a isolated mistake and it won’t happen again. These types pray on the willingness of people to trust and forgive. They also count on people being to lazy to go after them. They also know the legal system is flawed and often not very effective. I lost 5 figures to one of these types and 6 figures to another. The first was an assumed identity working as my office manager. After 80 hours of detailed financial investigation I found he was stealing, he then called me and confessed, sighting his many problems that caused him to do it. I filled a police report, the police did nothing and he disappeared. The other was a “trusted employee” for many years and it turns out he was operating his own company stealing supplies and merchandise from me. He was caught, but agreed to give back the things that he had stolen and I was advised by the police to take what I could get and not press charges as this was a long and painful path. My insurance for such theft also wormed their way out of paying for the things not recovered. Hell, I only paid Brian a few thousand for a suit of armour.
In the end, you look back and go, how did I fall for that, how was I so stupid? It is because we want to trust people and believe people are good. Well not all people see “good” the same way.
Gaston, don’t be fooled into thinking “he’s down”. He’s “been down” many times and this is another part of the M.O. “Oh, I’m sorry, I had a (fill in the blank)” “I made an honest mistake”. Woe is me…
If folks don’t hold people like this accountable, these people will continue to be “Good”. To themselves.
Trevor
Archive Member

Post by Trevor »

Chris Gilman wrote: I as well as many others have been trying to get people to investigate Brian for 20 years. I asked the Kingdoms’ of Caid and the West to look into inappropriate conduct by one of their royal peers. But I was told, “No, that’s a mundane matter.”
And THIS is how guys like Brian can thrive in a Society that supposedly holds itself up to a Chivalric standard... :sad:
"Thomas you are the bad guy because you have dared to embrace such concepts as patriotism, duty, and honor. If you add fidelity, trust, courage, and fortitude you have the new version of the seven deadly sins. " -Winterfell

www.kcsword.com
Grimr Hvitulfsson Ulfhamr
Archive Member

Post by Grimr Hvitulfsson Ulfhamr »

Jeff J wrote:
Each person he owes money to will have to hire a lawyer to take it to court and prove he owes them money. This is often expensive and time consuming, especially across state lines, with no guarantee that you will win. And sometimes, even if you do win, the other person can dodge paying by some trickery.
Ok, thanks for the info! Here it is relatively straightforward if you have a written contract and can prove through your bank that no money has been received.

Plus the losing party has to pay the legal fees of BOTH parties so rather than go to court, many people are willing to settle.

GrimR
"My Tae Kwon Do instructor tells me I'm just two moves away from becoming quite threatening!"
- Dr. Niles Crane
Stahlgrim
Archive Member

Post by Stahlgrim »

if he has done this to enough people maybe they can file a class action suit and go in together on the legal fees.
"who needs Superman? We gave Chuck Norris a jet pack!"
"sucking at something is the first step towards being sort of good at something."jake the dog
Jeff J
Archive Member

Post by Jeff J »

Grimr Hvitulfsson Ulfhamr wrote:
Ok, thanks for the info! Here it is relatively straightforward if you have a written contract and can prove through your bank that no money has been received.

Plus the losing party has to pay the legal fees of BOTH parties so rather than go to court, many people are willing to settle.

GrimR
That's how it's supposed to work here, too, but as other recent posts document, police are less concerned with this type of crime and (absolutely no offense to Finland), we're a bigger country, which makes it easier to pull crap like this.

As an aside, I've been reenacting for 20-some years, and the first story of being ripped off I heard when I joined my group was of a group order of helmets from thornbird, where Price took the group's deposit and never delivered. So I agree with Chris, this is a loooong pattern of behavior.

(edit - oh, wait, that's not how it works, here) Banks rarely help. Your system sounds more like paypal. ;) Do you guys have a single national bank system?
BONANZA!!!
Hans

book rights exchange

Post by Hans »

My name is Hans J. Wieland. I am the german publisher of one of the books which Mr. Price has mentioned. It is "Das Schwert" by Harald Schmidt. We´ve exchanged rights with "The Swordman´s Companion" by Guy Windsor.
I have been trying to reach Mr. Price for months to see what the situation on the english edition of our book is, but unfortunately he did not answer my calls or e-mails.

Brian, if you read this: If you decide to not publish the book, that´s fine for me. Let´s find another solution. I am willing to pay royalties for the german edition of "The Swordman´s Companion", and I am confident to find another US publisher for our title.

Let´s get out of this situation which is not good for anybody.

Hans
Aaron
Archive Member

Post by Aaron »

Vitus von Atzinger wrote:
Aaron wrote:"I am Elmer J. Fudd, miwwonaire. I own a mansion and a yacht!"
This is -by far- the most brilliant post I have ever read on this website. It will never be (and can never be) topped.
:shock:
ChrisValli

Re: book rights exchange

Post by ChrisValli »

Hans wrote:I have been trying to reach Mr. Price for months to see what the situation on the english edition of our book is, but unfortunately he did not answer my calls or e-mails.
Hans, if you are still interested in releasing the book here in the states, I would suggest getting in contact with the gentlemen at Freelance Academy Press. They are currently the distributors for my videos and I have been very pleased.
Christopher Valli

Asst Instructor, Selohaar Fechtschule

Director, Speaking Window Productions, LLC
Hans

Post by Hans »

Hello Christopher,
many thanks for your reply and the info. I hope Mr. Price will respond and we can find a new agreement.
Hans