"The Sword in Two Hands by Brian Price" review wan

For those of us who wish to talk about the many styles and facets of recreating Medieval armed combat.
Lady Charlotte
Archive Member

Post by Lady Charlotte »

Hello, Doorman,
Doorman wrote:Lady Charlotte,

Could you direct me to a place I can find out more information about the Harper Collins incident? Your comment piqued my interest. Thanks.
Certainly. There's Moore's own contemporaneous summary here:
BUZZFLASH: Now specifically, a little bit about your book. You've written in your columns that after September 11th, your publisher was going to deep-six the book unless you took out critical comments on Bush. You held firm. Is it true that the librarians of America came to your defense and saved the day?

MICHAEL MOORE:
That's what it looks like. I mean, I didn't know who any of these people were. They -- this one librarian found out about it, and she got in a, I don't know, library chat room. Or she sent a letter out to a list of librarians, and they sent it out to a bunch of people, and the thing kind of mushroomed from there. So, I'd say it's a combination of these librarians and the Internet, because they started sending letters to Harper-Collins, and Harper-Collins saw that it wasn't gonna be a good thing to ban the book. But I'm really happy about it. I really didn't realize the librarians were, you know, such a dangerous group.

BUZZFLASH:
Subversive.

MICHAEL MOORE: They are subversive. You think they're just sitting there at the desk, all quiet and everything. They're like plotting the revolution, man. I wouldn't mess with them. You know, they've had their budgets cut. They're paid nothing. Books are falling apart. The libraries are just like the ass end of everything, right?
And this article describes a bit more about how it went viral on the internet: http://netage.org/2010/03/01/thank-you-librarians/

As I recall, Harper Collins caved completely within 48 hours of Ann Sparanese's initial post.

This was a non-partisan action, too: American librarians have long considered ourselves to be the guardians of the public interest on a number of issues related to intellectual freedom, such as the Freedom to Read, plagiarism and copyright law (the U.S. Copyright Office is a department of the Library of Congress).

So please support your local libraries! ;)

Lady Charlotte, who will reply to all those to whom she owes a response as soon she can...
Doorman
Archive Member
Location: Go to the middle of nowhere, hang a left and go past BFE. I'm the crazy guy standing under a tree.

Post by Doorman »

Thank you Arngrim and Lady Charlotte. Talk about having to look out for the quiet ones! :wink:

We now return to our regularly scheduled horse-whipping.
Avada Kedavera, meet Avtomat Kalashnikova
Halvgrimr wrote:I don't have the time to write like a English major when I am doing drive bys
Chris Gilman
Archive Member

Post by Chris Gilman »

Thank you Gwen, I was going to point that out.
In fact a newbie to the SCA who wanted armour from Brian 20 years ago came to me and asked if Brian was a good armourer, I warned him, do not give Brian money up front, because he has a substantiated reputation for not delivering armour. I said don’t just believe me, but ask around for other peoples opinion. I also told him, Do Not talk to Brian about these allegations, because he will tell you 20 reasons why everyone else is wrong or difficult and why he is in the right. Ron did not listen and did in fact go to Brian and asked him about what I said. Brian told Ron, I was a very difficult and demanding customer who wasn’t happy with anything and my armour had been delivered and I didn’t want it. Ron believed him and handed Brian $4000 (see below) cash for a suit of armour. It was never delivered.
Years ago I asked Ron why he did not go after Brian and he told me he had heard that Brian was very very sick and he felt sorry for Brian with all the problems Brian must have. Later he heard Brian had died. He was very surprised to learn Brian was living in Texas. I saw Ron last month and he said he never saw anything from Brian, nothing. Ron did not go after Brian for the money I believe for two reasons. He felt he would never get it back and it would be a hassle to go through the legal process to do so. I had an girlfriend from Atenveldt who was furious that I had not gotten my armour after this many years (8 at that point) and told me a number of Atenveldters she was close to, where going to give Brian a “Good ol boy talking to”. I asked her to tell them no, it is not worth it.

Correction: I just asked Ron and he said it was $6000 he paid Brian.
Last edited by Chris Gilman on Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DukeAvery
Archive Member

Post by DukeAvery »

I can't think of any reason that Chris would say these things if they weren't true.

:(

I honestly and sincerely suggest those with grievances send them to the Secretary of the Order of Chivalry in Ansteorra, or the equivalent. I don't know what they'll make of it. We don't seem to be very good at policing ourselves, I accept that as valid criticism.

Regards

Avery
Doppel of Eberhauer
Imperial Mercenary of Atenveldt
Even a squire can win Crown Tournament.
Mike F
Archive Member

Post by Mike F »

[No Text]
Last edited by Mike F on Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's up to you now.
DukeAvery
Archive Member

Post by DukeAvery »

A list of items over which there is a valid dispute would be useful. An ethical buyer could then still choose to shop with Brion and make an informed decision about potential purchases. This isn't a hypothetical situation with me, as I did pick up some nice items in Brion's shop this year at Pennsic, and I would like to go back, but not over say, a casting where the ownership of the mold is in question etc.

Regards

Avery
Doppel of Eberhauer
Imperial Mercenary of Atenveldt
Even a squire can win Crown Tournament.
Kilkenny
Archive Member

Post by Kilkenny »

Gerhard von Liebau wrote:
Stump wrote:Trust should be earned not given.
Who said anything about trust?
You used the word "faith" - does that word not imply trust in your lexicon?

I would suggest that to most people "faith" is a higher form of "trust".
Gavin Kilkenny
Proprietor
Noble Lion Leather
hardened leather armour and sundry leather goods
www.noblelionleather.com
Kilkenny
Archive Member

Post by Kilkenny »

Mike F wrote:Lady Charlotte,

Thank you for your response, but I believe you have overlooked one portion of it. We had a group commit a felony with several hundred dollars in damages against a company I used to work for. In the several years before the business closed, they had received virtually no money from the judgment. While it is certainly possible to combat this, at this point the debts appear to be outnumbering what garnishment could achieve. When you add fees on top of this, it quickly becomes a matter of while it will absolutely ruin the defendant, and it may be so bad they'll never own a home or new vehicle again, the plaintiffs may also never see the full sum.

I'm not discussing the incident in question, simply continuing our side discussion. Although I am amazed that incident you cited was resolved in three months with only $330 in attorney fees.
It runs the gamut, Mike, from matters resolved by no more than an attorney letter and to satisfaction of all concerned, to matters that, after years of litigation, result in judgments that prove uncollectable.

And on the matter of what court would hear this and so forth - frequently contracts specify under what law they are to be interpreted and even in which courts disputes are to be pursued.
Gavin Kilkenny
Proprietor
Noble Lion Leather
www.noblelionleather.com
Morgan
Archive Member

Post by Morgan »

Ansteorra doesn't have a Secretary of the Order of Chivalry. I'll point His Majesty Ansteorra at this thread for his consideration.
Baron Alcyoneus
Archive Member

Post by Baron Alcyoneus »

Mike F wrote:I'm not discussing the incident in question, simply continuing our side discussion. Although I am amazed that incident you cited was resolved in three months with only $330 in attorney fees.
It was a small claims case. You don't NEED a lawyer, but sometime it helps. There is no jury (at least here in KS). You go before the judge. You tell your story, the other party tells his, the judge asks questions, and decides who is wrong/right or if it is mixed.

And he decides who he believes if there is disagreement about facts. You can get together to agree that both parties agree to certain particulars before hand.

Others aren't agreed to, or you wouldn't be there.

Then he makes his judgement. It really is a lot like Judge Wapner or Judy.
Vypadni z mého trávník!

Does loyalty trump truth?

"If they hurt you, hurt them back. If they kill you, walk it off."- Captain America
Chris Gilman
Archive Member

Post by Chris Gilman »

Baron Alcyoneus wrote:
Mike F wrote:I'm not discussing the incident in question, simply continuing our side discussion. Although I am amazed that incident you cited was resolved in three months with only $330 in attorney fees.
It was a small claims case. You don't NEED a lawyer, but sometime it helps. There is no jury (at least here in KS). You go before the judge. You tell your story, the other party tells his, the judge asks questions, and decides who is wrong/right or if it is mixed.

And he decides who he believes if there is disagreement about facts. You can get together to agree that both parties agree to certain particulars before hand.

We were just looking into this for a client who stiffed us on an order: Here in LA (California?) In small claims court you can NOT have a lawyer with you. You can consult a lawyer, but he cannot be in court with you.
Also, I think the person who the "contract" was made with must be there, not a representative.
Mike F
Archive Member

Post by Mike F »

[No Text]
Last edited by Mike F on Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's up to you now.
Alric of Drentha
Archive Member

Post by Alric of Drentha »

Whether or not you recover any money, being able to say 'Mr. Price is a crook, we took him to court and won' would be a much more convincing warning to give potential victims than 'Mr. Price scammed me once for thousands of dollars... but, well, I didn't do anything about it.' The lack of legal action leaves room for each party to tell a different version of the story, allowing Mr. Price to pin the blame on his victims as he did in Chris Gilman's story. Having a court case to point to to prove his dishonesty would make this story-spinning much more difficult.
-Alric
Jeff J
Archive Member
Location: Adrift Just Off the Islets of Langerhans: Latitude N 39° 2' 55.3, Longitude W 104° 48' 50.4

Post by Jeff J »

Alric of Drentha wrote:Whether or not you recover any money, being able to say 'Mr. Price is a crook, we took him to court and won'
Wonder if someone could sell "I was scammed by Brian Price" T-shirts?
BONANZA!!!
Christian H. Tobler
Archive Member

Post by Christian H. Tobler »

Hello Alric,

You're absolutely right. And to this end, let me just assure you: things are in motion.

Yours,

Christian
Black Swan Designs
Archive Member

Post by Black Swan Designs »

Alric, your point is precisely why I am ridiculously interested in knowing more about the Brian Price vs. Kevin Ricer court case Charlotte referenced above.

I was discussing this thread with a very dear friend today, and he brought up the point that none of us are entirely blameless. I'm quite certain that all of us have one, two or a handful of incidents in our lives that we look back on and think 'man, I didn't handle that very well', or 'I wish I could do that over'. However, I don't think any of us here throwing stones as it were can document the same pattern and sheer volume of actions which show such a clear and demonstrated lack of regard for honesty and straight dealing with people.

Gwen
Mary Rosh Smith

Post by Mary Rosh Smith »

I don't spend a great deal of time on this forum, but when I am here I find it to be a treasure trove of information. I certainly appreciate the work everyone running this forum and contributing to it put forth.

I was directed to this thread from another forum, and I'm quite surprised by what I found. Like Mr. Smith, I can say that my dealings with Brian have been nothing short of pleasurable. He is one of my favorite people and he has always treated me very, very, very well. Admittedly, it's not on the same scope as some of the other dealings mentioned here, so I feel no need to become deeply involved in the conversation of business ethics centered around Brian. Business ethics is not a very interesting subject for me.

What I will comment on is the overall taste this thread leaves in my mouth. From an outsider looking in, there does seem to be something of an "angry mob" mentality going on here. I have noticed that the fire is largely being fed by the same tiny clique of a few hundred people that think they’ve been cheated or defrauded or lied to by Brian over and over again, but that's beside the point. In my opinion, and maybe mine alone (which is fine), this is not the place to air dirty laundry. If you have a problem with Mr. Price (especially one of this scope), seek redress elsewhere. The proper forum is in a basement with the lights and stairs out in a disused lavatory behind a locked door that said “Beware of the tiger.â€
Chris Gilman
Archive Member

Post by Chris Gilman »

Am I the only one who feels Ms. Smith is another ostrich who has pulled their head from the sand to point out there is nothing really wrong here. Wait a minute….why are there so many “Smith’sâ€
Christian H. Tobler
Archive Member

Wow.

Whoever is posting as "Mr. & Mrs. Smith" must really think the readers here are stupid.

Do you seriously think it will go unnoticed when the same paragraph gets reused, by a 'first time poster, also with the name Smith':
Mr. Tobler: Regardless of your noble intentions for speaking up on internet forums, it simply does not seem particularly "chivalric" (since that seems to be the word of the day). I've always held you in some esteem Mr. Tobler, and what goes on between Mr. Price and yourself doesn't interest me a great deal, but this whole public posting business seems like it should be beneath you.
Come on - this is just silly.

CHT
LWCM
Archive Member

Post by LWCM »

LOL, I was JUST thinking the same thing Christian! I mean c'mon! At least change some part of the paragraph.
Saritor
Archive Member

Post by Saritor »

Chris Gilman wrote:Am I the only one who feels Ms. Smith is another ostrich who has pulled their head from the sand to point out there is nothing really wrong here. Wait a minute….why are there so many “Smith’s” defending Brian?
Chris, reread the post with satire and sarcasm in mind. I think it'll read differently to you then.
If you have a problem with Mr. Price (especially one of this scope), seek redress elsewhere. The proper forum is in a basement with the lights and stairs out in a disused lavatory behind a locked door that said “Beware of the tiger.”
A true gentleman would be patient about a small matter like this as I’m sure Brian will make good on his obligation eventually, possibly even before the Sun is a cold, dark cinder.
Last edited by Saritor on Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Roland Ansbacher
Archive Member

Post by Roland Ansbacher »

Google John Lott and Mary Rosh, and see what comes up. Or check out http://www.whoismaryrosh.com.

Just food for thought.

Sir Roland
Otto von Teich
Archive Member

Post by Otto von Teich »

When at least a half dozen people I know and trust tell me Mr. Price ripped them off, I tend to believe them. Theres no longer any doubt in my mind who's in the right and who's in the wrong. :roll: If some folks out there think an angry mob is forming, all I can say is hand me a pitchfork. :wink:
Last edited by Otto von Teich on Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Maeryk
Archive Member

Post by Maeryk »

Chris Gilman wrote:Am I the only one who feels Ms. Smith is another ostrich who has pulled their head from the sand to point out there is nothing really wrong here. Wait a minute….why are there so many “Smith’s” defending Brian?
However she is correct, we should talk about issues regarding dishonest people, in private, so no one will know, I mean hell look what happened to Mubarak and Muammar Gaddafi once it went to a public forum.
:roll:
Erm.. the first Smith is probably a sock puppet for Brian. The second, with the Sifl avatar, is DEFINATELY a sock puppet, mocking the first one.

"nowhere near MD" leads me to believe I know who it is, and the total tongue in cheek nature of the posting semi-confirms it for me.
Alexander of Lancaster
Archive Member

Post by Alexander of Lancaster »

Mary Rosh Smith wrote:That his publications reveal him as a serial plagiarist is not really a matter for public discussion.
Do you really think that it is inappropriate to warn buyers of his products that there is a real chance that they are plagiarized? Do you honestly think that it is wrong of people to not want to buy things from someone who does not pay the author? Effectively he has stolen the material, you can't get it anywhere else and he isn't paying the author. The author cannot post it for sale on Amazon. Do you really think that we should not know this and that Brian should be able to continue to make money of these treacherous acts?
Christian H. Tobler
Archive Member

Ha!

Ok, I'll have to come clean and admit the sarcasm flew wildly over my head!

Best regards,

Christian
Chris Gilman
Archive Member

Post by Chris Gilman »

Saritor wrote:
Chris, reread the post with satire and sarcasm in mind. I think it'll read differently to you then.
If you have a problem with Mr. Price (especially one of this scope), seek redress elsewhere. The proper forum is in a basement with the lights and stairs out in a disused lavatory behind a locked door that said “Beware of the tiger.”
A true gentleman would be patient about a small matter like this as I’m sure Brian will make good on his obligation eventually, possibly even before the Sun is a cold, dark cinder.
:idea: :oops:
John Smith

Post by John Smith »

I have a sister?
Arm? What arm?
Galleron
Archive Member

Post by Galleron »

John Smith wrote:I have a sister?
The family resemblance is striking.....
Galleron

http://willscommonplacebook.blogspot.com: My Blog
http://www.cafepress.com/Commonplacegood: My CafePress store for medieval recreation and the Middle Ages
JT
Editor

Post by JT »

QUIT
WITH
THE
SOCK
PUPPETS.

NOW.

EVERYONE.
-- jt --
Editor and part-time bottle washer: The Armour Archive

"Gules (though nearly purpure!) a bend sinister sable, fretted and cottised argent, in chief a bezant."
Kilkenny
Archive Member

Post by Kilkenny »

Chris Gilman wrote:
Baron Alcyoneus wrote:

We were just looking into this for a client who stiffed us on an order: Here in LA (California?) In small claims court you can NOT have a lawyer with you. You can consult a lawyer, but he cannot be in court with you.
Also, I think the person who the "contract" was made with must be there, not a representative.
Then there's a whole 'nother layer of things, when a corporation is involved. An actual person may represent themselves pro se, a corporate person may not. Not sure what impact that has on how things proceed in a LA small claims matter ;)
Gavin Kilkenny
Proprietor
Noble Lion Leather
www.noblelionleather.com
Baron Eirik
Archive Member

Post by Baron Eirik »

Just say no to sock puppets!

Master Eirik, MSCA
Munitions Grade Arms, Rattan & Thrusting Tips
Now on Facebook
Lady Charlotte
Archive Member

Post by Lady Charlotte »

Hello, Louis,
Louis de Leon wrote:
Lady Charlotte wrote:I agree with you. Although Louis de Leon had suggested that people here read the description of a psychopath at the link he'd provided, above, in my opinion Mr. Price's behavior is classically that of someone with Narcissistic Personality Disorder:
Perhaps so. But some of the bullet points from the psychopathy page rang bells for me:
Psychopaths lack a sense of guilt or remorse for any harm they may have caused others, instead rationalizing the behavior, blaming someone else, or denying it outright.
Their behavior is impulsive and irresponsible, often failing to keep a job or defaulting on debts.
Psychopaths also have a markedly distorted sense of the potential consequences of their actions, not only for others, but also for themselves. They do not deeply recognize the risk of being caught, disbelieved or injured as a result of their behavior.
It's that last one that really hit home...
I quite understand.

I think this (very slight, actually) difference of opinion highlights why the D.S.M. V recategorizes and reduces Axis II personality disorders from 10 categories in D.S.M. IV to only five in D.S.M. V. "Psychopathology" was characterized in D.S.M. IV as a subtype of Antisocial Personality Disorder, with "sociopathology" as the other subtype.

Under the D.S.M. V, Narcissistic Personality Disorder appears to be largely subsumed under the new "Antisocial/Psychopathic Type," but despite the bullet points that rang bells for you, I was less convinced that the psychopath category was the best choice because no one's reported a history of violence, cruelty to animals, disregard for safety, etc., which are so characteristic of psychopaths. However, under the D.S.M. V we'd probably be in complete or nearly complete agreement, not that I'm a clinical psychologist or psychiatrist, nor do I play one on TV. ;)
Louis de Leon wrote:...I have spent some time thinking about this thread. A lot of time actually. This whole thing is just so bizarre to me. I want to know how this could be. How could someone do this? Take people for decades for thousands upon thousands of dollars, copy works, pass off other people's work as their own, and so on and so on. How could someone live day to day with all of that?

So I tried a thought-experiment to try to imagine what it would be like to take 5000 or so dollars from someone and just flat-out screw them. No intention of repayment or delivery or anything. Just "thanks for the money sucker" and walk away. That's only about 5k, not the 6 figure amounts that are most likely the sum of the claims in this thread.

And I was immediately hit with an extreme sense of danger. I would be looking behind every bush, checking under my car, looking at every shadow for someone with a baseball bat come to exact their revenge, or a cop at my door with my victim, or a summons, or a lawsuit notice in the mail. Now multiply that by a few dozen over the course of a couple of decades. How could you live with a sword of that size hanging over your head? Something must be terribly wrong, terribly terribly wrong. Something missing or just plain broken to live day to day in that state with no distress. It would crush me with fear and anxiety.

If you can live that way there is something seriously wrong with you.
Again, I quite understand, but the thought processes of psychopaths and narcissists are almost as different from each other concerning such things as they are from yours and mine.

Many years ago I was robbed of money I had saved painstakingly for tuition by the family member who was eventually diagnosed by a psychiatrist as having NPD. It was disastrous for me and I was utterly incredulous, not to mention outraged.

A psychopath simply wouldn't have cared; s/he might have recognized s/he was stealing, but did it anyway out of impulsivity and a failure to recognize the consequences, as outlined in those bullet points you cited, above.

On the other hand, an NPD (like "mine") would feel wronged by an accusation of stealing because s/he wouldn't regard it as "stealing" but rather as something like "borrowing-with-every-intention-of-returning-the-money," and since the NPD convinces themselves (at some level) that they're not doing anything wrong or are perfectly justified in doing what they've done, the bullet points you listed aren't applicable in the same way.

After many years of mistreatment by "my NPD," I finally forced them into family counseling with the psychiatrist who made the diagnosis (I was beginning to wonder if I was the mad one after years of dealing with their crazy rationalizations).

I asked the psychiatrist, during a private session, where he'd delivered the diagnosis of "my NPD" to me, "When narcissists lie, do they know they're lying, or do they believe the lies they tell as deeply as they want us to believe them?"

He said that that was a subject of continual debate among psychiatrists, but his own opinion was that they convinced themselves of the lie most of the time, but if sufficiently confronted would recognize it at some level, even if incapable of acknowledging it.

Louis de Leon wrote:If you can live that way there is something seriously wrong with you.

I don't think mere narcissism can account for it. While I do see the parallels you have drawn, you have to also look at the criminal side to all of this. The total lack of acknowledging that something bad may happen to you. Personal revenge, lawsuits, jailtime. And there is no acknowledgment of those possibilities at all.

If the claims in this thread are true, then something is seriously dreadfully drastically wrong with the guy. I don't think it's a personality deficit. That just doesn't seem big enough to cover all of this.
It's far more than a "personality deficit," it's a "personality disorder."

The psychiatrist also explained -- and this was the single most helpful insight he gave me -- is that by the time someone with NPD reaches their late 20s, they will be -- permanently, except in very rare cases -- a "moral and emotional toddler in an adult body with adult experience and education."

Toddlers consider themselves the center of the universe and anyone they "like" or "love" to be extensions of themselves they are perfectly entitled to manipulate, use, misuse, etc., (think of how toddlers treat their favorite toys) and they possess only the most rudimentary grasp of morality except to the extent that parents punish or reward them consistently and lovingly for moral behavior. A toddler will thus eventually mature and internalize morality as well as develop empathy, but a narcissist largely fails ever to do so. So if you re-do your thought experiment with the mindset of a toddler who views the people who give him money as extensions of himself, I suspect your result will be rather different.

The only way to deal effectively with someone with NPD, the psychiatrist advised me, is to punish them when they misbehave: they will not change otherwise because they are incapable of it. I was willing to pay the psychiatrist's fees to treat "my NPD," if there was any chance of success, and the psychiatrist agreed to try, but he warned me that narcissists are the hardest patients for psychiatrists to treat because someone with NPD lacks the very psychological tools most necessary for treatment to be effective.

Consequently, in my opinion, based on that advice (backed up in the literature) and my life-long experience with "my NPD," expecting Mr. Price to behave at all differently after this would be foolish in the extreme. He may settle -- if he's at all smart or receives decent legal advice -- the claims against him, but if he continues on in this business, there will be new and additional victims down the line, which is why I will never purchase anything from him.

Ever. Even if he sells the "best" or "only" of something. To do so would be effectively subsidizing a form of "individulalized terrorism," in my not so humble opinion about this. I therefore think it would be utterly immoral to do any business at all with him.

Lady Charlotte
Vitus von Atzinger
Archive Member

Post by Vitus von Atzinger »

I've done enough. Good luck, everyone.
Last edited by Vitus von Atzinger on Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Luca Sogliano
Archive Member

Post by Luca Sogliano »

I'm all for public shaming, when deserved. I'm all for boycotting, and warning, and retribution when appropriate. I'm even for shouting Price's name and crimes from the mountaintop.

But perhaps clinical diagnosis could be left to an expert. :?
"...an insidious and pervasive evil which had been perpetuated in certain parts of our country through unremitting and ingenious defiance of the Constitution"