"The Sword in Two Hands by Brian Price" review wan

For those of us who wish to talk about the many styles and facets of recreating Medieval armed combat.
Gerhard von Liebau
Archive Member

Post by Gerhard von Liebau »

Baron Alcyoneus wrote:I'd call that "Blind Faith". ;)
Could be, but it's not like he's got anything to lose at this point... Only to gain. A bit of faith could go a long way psychologically in such a situation. Obviously, we have to assume Brian reads every post in this thread. If he reads our posts and is lead to believe that no one thinks he'll ever turn his game around and make things right, it seems much less likely that he'd actually care to do it than if he saw people rooting for him with the expectation that he could actually redeem himself.

-Gerhard
Keegan Ingrassia
Archive Member

Post by Keegan Ingrassia »

Somehow, from reading the testimonies of injustices over the last two decades, I get the feeling he already doesn't care about making it right...
"There is a tremendous amount of information in a picture, but getting at it is not a purely passive process. You have to work at it, but the more you work at it the easier it becomes." - Mac
Stump
Archive Member
Location: End of the road, last house on the right, West Virginia.

Post by Stump »

Gerhard von Liebau wrote:I suppose. When I say "have faith" in such an uncontrollable circumstance it seems far less consequential than "trust." If I wanted Talbot to trust Brian, I might as well have told him to place a new order with him...
But you asked him to have faith in one proven faithless, and proven so by his own words in might add.

If the burnt hand teaches best then why would you ask Talbot to open his hand to accept the heated iron?
Judeo-Christian morality, Greco-Roman philosophy, and Anglo-Saxon law

bad, and counter-revolutionary...with sparklies
Gerhard von Liebau
Archive Member

Keegan Ingrassia wrote:Somehow, from reading the testimonies of injustices over the last two decades, I get the feeling he already doesn't care about making it right...
Then why is this thread here? To try to crash his business into the ground in vengeance?
Gerhard von Liebau
Archive Member

Stump wrote:If the burnt hand teaches best then why would you ask Talbot to open his hand to accept the heated iron?
Read my first post on the tenth page. "it's not like he's [Talbot's] got anything to lose at this point... Only to gain."
Keegan Ingrassia
Archive Member

Post by Keegan Ingrassia »

Gerhard von Liebau wrote:Then why is this thread here?
To warn buyers and investors away from a man who has repeatedly proven to manipulate, lie, steal, and cheat. A man who has relied upon his longstanding status in the community to shield himself from reparations and consequences. If this thread, and the myriad testimonies contained within, had not existed, how many do you think would continue doing business with him, unaware that to do so was to invite ruin upon themselves?
"There is a tremendous amount of information in a picture, but getting at it is not a purely passive process. You have to work at it, but the more you work at it the easier it becomes." - Mac
Gerhard von Liebau
Archive Member

Keegan Ingrassia wrote:
Gerhard von Liebau wrote:Then why is this thread here?
To warn buyers and investors away from a man who has repeatedly proven to manipulate, lie, steal, and cheat. A man who has relied upon his longstanding status in the community to shield himself from reparations and consequences. If this thread, and the myriad testimonies contained within, had not existed, how many do you think would continue doing business with him, unaware that to do so was to invite ruin upon themselves?
Yeah, I suppose I just don't consider how much of an affect a thread like this can actually have. *I* was influenced by it, and will never consider Brian as a big business partner or source for my commissioned work again. I will still buy his shoes, though. I enjoy them. And other items I can pick up in his shop or buy securely on his website. I'm sure many others are in the same boat or even more serious about cutting him off. And yeah, he probably deserves it. It's just all such a vicious cycle I can't help wanting to give the guy a break tonight since there was some almost positive news posted.

-Gerhard :(
Stump
Archive Member

Post by Stump »

Gerhard von Liebau wrote:
Stump wrote:If the burnt hand teaches best then why would you ask Talbot to open his hand to accept the heated iron?
Read my first post on the tenth page. "it's not like he's [Talbot's] got anything to lose at this point... Only to gain."
And what would you have him do?

Hold his tongue?

Be silent?

How many years was he silent on this matter?

What did it gain him?

I do not, can not speak for Talbot, but were it me I would say the time for discretion has long since passed.

Louis de Leon
Thinking of toast

Post by Louis de Leon »

Gerhard von Liebau wrote:Then why is this thread here? To try to crash his business into the ground in vengeance?
Isn't the truth a good enough reason?

Edit:
It's just all such a vicious cycle I can't help wanting to give the guy a break tonight since there was some almost positive news posted.
Ok I get it now. It speaks very well of you. To still have faith after everything posted here, to still try to see the good. To hope for a happy ending to this mess, an indication it is a gigantic mix up or mistake or anything else other than what it appears to be.

But I'm sorry man, I just don't think that's a realistic possibility at this point.
Last edited by Louis de Leon on Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Marco-borromei wrote:Stay away from Akron, unless you're cruelly interested in experimenting on your children. Will they survive the schools? The drugs? The boredom? Will desperation motivate them to leave or to go native?
Gerhard von Liebau
Archive Member

Stump wrote:And what would you have him do?

Hold his tongue?

Be silent?

How many years was he silent on this matter?

What did it gain him?
I think you're not reading my posts carefully. I originally made the point to Talbot under the circumstances that I thought he had only just sent an email to Brian, probably even prior to when a reasonable response time had passed, and came back here immediately thinking that he had no faith in Brian's offer to give him what his email called " the $1500 amount you had proposed." That, to me, before it was clarified that he had an initial response in four hours but a second not even... five days later, was an occasion worthy of some minor credit, at least.

-Gerhard
Chris Gilman
Archive Member

Post by Chris Gilman »

Rey wrote:Welp,

Time to go put my Wife's Silver Pelican Medallion we got From Brian Price in a Safety Deposit Box, That Baby is going to be a Collectors Item one day.

Not everyone has a Pelican Medallion Designed By........Satan. (Then again Maybe they all are)

Never had any issues with Brian myself he was always friendly enough when we were purchasing items from him. But Hey, what salesmen aren't.

Rey
He Likely didn't design it-only Claimed he did. Plus People only think He's SATAN :wink:
Stump
Archive Member

Post by Stump »

Gerhard von Liebau wrote:I think you're not reading my posts carefully. I originally made the point to Talbot under the circumstances that I thought he had only just sent an email to Brian, probably even prior to when a reasonable response time had passed, and came back here immediately thinking that he had no faith in Brian's offer to give him what his email called " the $1500 amount you had proposed." That, to me, before it was clarified that he had an initial response in four hours but a second not even... five days later, was an occasion worthy of some minor credit, at least.
So what your saying is I didn't read you posts closely enough to catch the fact that you didn't read Talbot's closely enough? :wink:

Gerhard von Liebau
Archive Member

Stump wrote:So what your saying is I didn't read you posts closely enough to catch the fact that you didn't read Talbot's closely enough? :wink:
PRECISELY. 8)
Talbot
Archive Member

Post by Talbot »

I'm glad that's cleared up. :D
Jeff J
Archive Member
Location: Adrift Just Off the Islets of Langerhans: Latitude N 39° 2' 55.3, Longitude W 104° 48' 50.4

Post by Jeff J »

Chris Gilman wrote:He Likely didn't design it-only Claimed he did. Plus People only think He's SATAN :wink:

Actually, there's quite a resemblance. 8)
Attachments
user1671_pic6688_1283965760.jpg
user1671_pic6688_1283965760.jpg (15.89 KiB) Viewed 1907 times
BONANZA!!!
Marv

Post by Marv »

Is it possible that in the process of ruining this man's financial future, the probability of recouping any meaningful compensation for these authors may have also been significantly diminished or lost? In cases that I've seen where business revenue is suddenly cut off, reserves are quickly eaten up to maintain business and personal obligations. By the time it gets to court, there may be nothing left to award.

This thread could end up being a classic case study for not discussing possible future litigation in the public arena. Let's hope that this isn't the case for the sake for those who are owed money.

The irony would be unsettling.
Jeff J
Archive Member
Location: Adrift Just Off the Islets of Langerhans: Latitude N 39° 2' 55.3, Longitude W 104° 48' 50.4

Post by Jeff J »

Marv wrote:Is it possible that in the process of ruining this man's financial future, the probability of recouping any meaningful compensation for these authors may have also been significantly diminished or lost? In cases that I've seen where business revenue is suddenly cut off, reserves are quickly eaten up to maintain business and personal obligations. By the time it gets to court, there may be nothing left to award.

This thread could end up being a classic case study for not discussing possible future litigation in the public arena. Let's hope that this isn't the case for the sake for those who are owed money.

Not to air it would be akin to getting your money back out of a known ponzi scheme and letting it run in order to ensure your own payback. I think too much of the victims posting here to believe they would want that.
BONANZA!!!
Aaron
Archive Member

Post by Aaron »

Yep. Would you want to accept money that you are pretty sure was stolen from another person who is awaiting money? :(
Christian H. Tobler
Archive Member

Post by Christian H. Tobler »

Jeff is correct: getting our money and IP back is important; preventing this from happening again is paramount.

Yours,

Christian
Marv

Post by Marv »

Christian H. Tobler wrote:Jeff is correct: getting our money and IP back is important; preventing this from happening again is paramount.

Yours,

Christian
Why wasn't it paramount two years ago?
Maeryk
Archive Member

Post by Maeryk »

Marv wrote:
Christian H. Tobler wrote:Jeff is correct: getting our money and IP back is important; preventing this from happening again is paramount.

Yours,

Christian
Why wasn't it paramount two years ago?
I may be wrong, but what I'm seeing here (and someone will correct me) reminds me of a scenario when a guys wife, three mistresses and four girlfriends all find out about each other at the same time.. and each was previously convinced they were the "only one".
Leo Medii
Archive Member

Post by Leo Medii »

Why wasn't it paramount in 1994? It would have saved me some money.

All I know is I'm glad other people will be spared my loss now.
Lion of Irnham - Martial undertaking should never be a lowest common denominator endeavor.
Kel Rekuta
Archive Member

Post by Kel Rekuta »

Keegan Ingrassia wrote:Somehow, from reading the testimonies of injustices over the last two decades, I get the feeling he already doesn't care about making it right...
Then why is this thread here? To try to crash his business into the ground in vengeance?
Sounds good to me. Seriously. Its unlikely letters to the Better Business Bureau will be productive. Sideline the weasel.
Maeryk
Archive Member

Post by Maeryk »

Kel Rekuta wrote:
Sounds good to me. Seriously. Its unlikely letters to the Better Business Bureau will be productive. Sideline the weasel.
I don't know Brian Price from a hole in the ground. I do know plenty of other people like him (apparently) in and out of the SCA and other small-pond hobibes. People who can build a cult of personality around them, get some small measure of fame, and then move from place to place, sucking the life out of people until they are noticed, and then reappearing somewhere else to do the same with a fresh crop of unwitting suckers.

Granted, few to this level of apparent notoriety (or success). But it happens, all too often.

And the reason it CONTINUES happening is because the lone voice crying in the wilderness of "THIS GUY IS NUTS! HE'S GOING TO USE YOU!" is drowned out by the current pool of butt snorkels going "THAT'S UNCHIVALROUS! He is the GREATEST THING EVAR!".. Strangely, those positions almost always shift.

I watched one guy cut a 20 year swath of wreckage and destroyed homes and marriages from New England to Northern Delaware.. he's always got a cabal around him, he never, apparently, actually _does_ anything to support himself, leaves that to his "group" and has wildly self aggrandizing claims and stories to back up his idiosyncracies.

We tolerate these people, and I'm not sure why. But had more than one person been going "That dude is batshit crazy, will steal your stuff, trash your house, then move out when you are at work one day and leave no forwarding address, sticking you with huge bills" I might not have ended up sucked into the morass of ego that surrounds him.

Just sayin.. where there's smoke, there's often fire. But you need to be able to SEE the smoke to avoid the scene.
Christian H. Tobler
Archive Member

Post by Christian H. Tobler »

Marv,

I've already answered you, and self-deprecatingly so, in an earlier post concerning why this is happening now, and didn't earlier.

There are a lot of people chiming in now, and all for similar reasons, which run along the lines of "wow - I thought I was alone, but I'm not". A court, whether legal or public opinion, acts upon a preponderance of evidence. Such is the case here.

Yours,

Christian
Galleron
Archive Member

Post by Galleron »

Marv wrote:Is it possible that in the process of ruining this man's financial future, the probability of recouping any meaningful compensation for these authors may have also been significantly diminished or lost? In cases that I've seen where business revenue is suddenly cut off, reserves are quickly eaten up to maintain business and personal obligations. By the time it gets to court, there may be nothing left to award.

In this case, I think not.

Brian either has sufficient liquid assets to pay what he owes. If he does, he can assign all rights to to the authors and pay outstanding royalties and what happens to his business afterward doesn't affect his creditors.

If not, he can assign all rights to the authors and turn over unsold stock equal to the value of his debt, if there's enough unsold stock to do that and the authors agree. (Needless to say, the books should be valued at wholesale value)

The longer he continues with business as usual, the less unsold stock available to satisfy his obligations.
Galleron

http://willscommonplacebook.blogspot.com: My Blog
http://www.cafepress.com/Commonplacegood: My CafePress store for medieval recreation and the Middle Ages
Doorman
Archive Member
Location: Go to the middle of nowhere, hang a left and go past BFE. I'm the crazy guy standing under a tree.

Post by Doorman »

Lady Charlotte,

Could you direct me to a place I can find out more information about the Harper Collins incident? Your comment piqued my interest. Thanks.
Avada Kedavera, meet Avtomat Kalashnikova
Halvgrimr wrote:I don't have the time to write like a English major when I am doing drive bys
Black Swan Designs
Archive Member

Post by Black Swan Designs »

Marv-

Chris Gilman posted about what was going on in 2003, and has done so periodically since. Others have touched on it, and it always gets swept under the carpet. See Maeryk's comments- their comments were drowned out by the 'how unchivalrous' crowd time and time again, as were the other people who tried to raise the issue over the years.

BP has found a nearly perfect environment to operate in- he got a title (actually several) which gave him weight in the group, wrote a book which cemented his credibility and in doing so made his actions nearly unassailable.

Gwen
Astaroth
Archive Member

Post by Astaroth »

There are a few more of these villains around I would love to see unmasked.
Poking people with a rattan pitchfork since A.S. XXX
Armand d'Alsace
Archive Member

Post by Armand d'Alsace »

Respectfully, Armand

(formerly Arngrim)
Jeff J
Archive Member

Post by Jeff J »

Astaroth wrote:There are a few more of these villains around I would love to see unmasked.
That's a big can of worms. Maybe you could start a new "Caveat Emptor" thread over on OT.

Be sure to have documentation if you start airing dirty laundry, though.
BONANZA!!!
Astaroth
Archive Member

Post by Astaroth »

I'm not going to air dirty laundry. I have been used and abused by some of those that are considered the best and brightest but as has been said here the crowd won't hear of it until it reaches a certain level of abuse.

All I will say is that Price is far from the only person that uses a little SCA rank and our inability to see past the knightly idea into the heart of the beast to demean our little society.
Poking people with a rattan pitchfork since A.S. XXX
Hrolfr
Archive Member

Post by Hrolfr »

Does Brian Price=Hammered Wombat=Brand Landcaster=Gallon (the gauntlet person)?

Same shit.

Conmen and shills
Thomas Gallowglass said:
Amoung the things I've learned in life are these two tidbits...
1) don't put trust into how politicians explain things
2) you are likely to bleed if you base your actions upon 'hope'.
Hrolfr
Archive Member

Post by Hrolfr »

Astaroth wrote:There are a few more of these villains around I would love to see unmasked.
Start a thread.

The new fighters in my area have a list of who I reccomend and whom I do not (from both personal and reputation of others).

When they get something good from someone I reccomend (which is often), I get a fuzzy feeling.

When they get screwed over because they did not listen to me **shrug**
I try not to say "I told you so".

From his rep here, I would say Mr Price is equal to Steve Belden or Gallon
(believe me, If I knew his real name, Agnarr and I would be ther to visit him......).
Thomas Gallowglass said:
Amoung the things I've learned in life are these two tidbits...
1) don't put trust into how politicians explain things
2) you are likely to bleed if you base your actions upon 'hope'.
Konstantin the Red
Archive Member

Post by Konstantin the Red »

Meanwhile, buying TOMARs still has a certain legitimacy. Let us not lose sight of that.

But, yeah -- no partnerships.
"The Minstrel Boy to the war is gone..."