"The Sword in Two Hands by Brian Price" review wan

For those of us who wish to talk about the many styles and facets of recreating Medieval armed combat.
Christian H. Tobler
Archive Member

Post by Christian H. Tobler »

Greetings Herr Wieland,

I would recommend that you consult with another German company, Agilitas.tv, before resuming any dealings with Mr. Price. It might be beneficial to you to compare your experiences.

Best regards,

Christian Tobler
Grimr Hvitulfsson Ulfhamr
Archive Member

Post by Grimr Hvitulfsson Ulfhamr »

Jeff J wrote:
That's how it's supposed to work here, too, but as other recent posts document, police are less concerned with this type of crime and (absolutely no offense to Finland), we're a bigger country, which makes it easier to pull crap like this.

(edit - oh, wait, that's not how it works, here) Banks rarely help. Your system sounds more like paypal. ;) Do you guys have a single national bank system?
Well, our police doesn't care about this type of crime either but they are not really needed (unless the accused refuses to cooperate). All you need is written evidence and you pretty much have a solid case.

If you don't have anything in writing, it won't work though. Oral contracts are legally binding in FInland, but since you cannot really prove it, it's a bit tricky to claim that you have one.

We have several banks here but all of them have very good tracking systems. So, you can easily find out whether you have received money and from whom. And you can also find out whether the seller has send it to a wrong person, so falsely claiming that money was sent won't work.

However, if the person really does not have money, then it's a lot trickier.

GrimR
"My Tae Kwon Do instructor tells me I'm just two moves away from becoming quite threatening!"
- Dr. Niles Crane
Lady Charlotte
Archive Member

Post by Lady Charlotte »

Hello, Dietrich,
Dietrich von Stroheim wrote:Thank you Lady Charlotte. That is indeed of help. Although the nearest copy is about 400 miles away from me, I've provided advice and resources to a lot of people on the internet re: SCA greatsword fighting, and I will use the link you provided me, as future inquirers may have a copy a wee bit closer to them.
You are quite welcome, and I apologize for not responding earlier (I also apologize to those who've sent me PMs, which I hope to begin tackling next). Life is busy for me these days and I don't always have time to respond as quickly as I'd like!

Hello, James,
James Anderson III wrote:Lady Charlotte - all I can say is, "Boom! Headshot!". Your statements have been solidly backed by links with evidence, and I know I personally greatly appreciate the amount of time and effort it took to research and create your posts in this thread.
*blushing*

You are most welcome.

Hello, Marco,
Marco-borromei wrote:Such was not my intent. You have my apologies. Thank you for correcting me.
I felt certain that it was not your intent, which is why I had struggled with how to respond. It was clear to me that your intentions had been as chivalrous and as full of generosity and largesse as your preceding post had been. I therefore thank you, most sincerely, for the graciousness of your reception of mine and your reply.

Hello, again, Dietrich,
Dietrich von Stroheim wrote:Let me just go on record as saying I hope I never draw the ire of a research librarian! :shock: :shock:
Well, I suppose that now you know why we "mousy" research librarians are so often recruited by the CIA! ;)

I'm sure that you, Baron Eirik, Doorman and Ewan have little to fear from we mice that sometimes roar!

Lady Charlotte
Last edited by Lady Charlotte on Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lady Charlotte
Archive Member

Post by Lady Charlotte »

Hello, Gaston de Vieuxchamps (to distinguish you from the Gaston who earlier defended Mr. Price),
Gaston de Vieuxchamps wrote:As to the standard of living thing, can anyone here confirm one way or the other whether or not he also owns a plane? Someone unaware of this thread just told me that the other day and seemed pretyy confident.
I can't report with any certainty, but the Federal Aviation Authority's registrations database indicates that a "Brian Price" (no middle initial or name or address supplied) is a part-owner of a Cessna as a member of a three-person partnership.

However, the Brian R. Price who is definitely the subject of this thread is a member of the RFA Projects discussion forum. Their homepage states:
This is a website for members of the [Replica Fighters Association] and others interested in replica warbirds, to post pictures of their projects. Opinions posted on this site are the responsibility of the poster and are not to be considered the opinion of the RFA.

TO JOIN THIS GROUP, YOU MUST TELL ME A LITTLE ABOUT YOURSELF AND YOUR CONNECTION TO REPLICA WARBIRDS. Give me your name and the aircraft you are building or have interest in.
The main Replica Fighters Association webpage states that it "encourages the efforts of individuals attempting to reproduce flyable, military inspired, homebuilt aircraft."

Lady Charlotte
brimstone
Archive Member

Post by brimstone »

wow....i wanna be a research assistant person when i leave school
i hate NCEA
Tancred de Lanvellec
Archive Member

Post by Tancred de Lanvellec »

brimstone wrote:wow....i wanna be a research assistant person when i leave school
The Pennsylvania variety is the most hardy!

Tanc
Baron Eirik
Archive Member

Post by Baron Eirik »

Lady Charlotte wrote:I'm sure that you, Baron Eirik, Doorman and Ewan have little to fear from we mice that sometimes roar!

Lady Charlotte
The Duchy of Grand Fenwick, for the win! :wink:
Master Eirik, MSCA
Munitions Grade Arms, Rattan & Thrusting Tips
Now on Facebook
Doorman
Archive Member
Location: Go to the middle of nowhere, hang a left and go past BFE. I'm the crazy guy standing under a tree.

Post by Doorman »

Lady Charlotte wrote:I'm sure that you, Baron Eirik, Doorman and Ewan have little to fear from we mice that sometimes roar!

Lady Charlotte
That's a relief. :D
Avada Kedavera, meet Avtomat Kalashnikova
Halvgrimr wrote:I don't have the time to write like a English major when I am doing drive bys
Gaston de Vieuxchamps
Archive Member

Post by Gaston de Vieuxchamps »

Lady Charlotte,

1/3 owner of a Cessna sounds about right so maybe it's true
You rock!
"Non Omne Quod Licet Honestum Est."
Greyson Brown

Post by Greyson Brown »

If one follows the link that Lady Charlotte provided, they can see that the registered owner listed on the Cessna is a Clarence Price of Baltimore, Ohio. A Brian Price and Jeffrey Bender are listed as other owners (no more info on those two).

I do not know a lot about Brian or personal airplane ownership norms; is he known to associate with a Clarence Price and/or Jeffrey Bender? Does it make sense that he would be part owner of a plane in Ohio?

I'm not trying to say whether Brian does or does not own a plane. There seems to be some decent info to imply either way. I'm simply pointing out information that is readily available to anyone who follows the link Lady Charlotte provided (thank you, I wouldn't know where to look for most of this stuff myself), and which might alter how the information is interpreted.

-Greyson
"So long as I can keep the path of honor I am well content."
-Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, The White Company
Baron Alcyoneus
Archive Member

Post by Baron Alcyoneus »

Neither of those (modern) names appear on his fb friends list.
Vypadni z mého trávník!

Does loyalty trump truth?

"If they hurt you, hurt them back. If they kill you, walk it off."- Captain America
Kilkenny
Archive Member

Post by Kilkenny »

Dave Smith wrote:I don't spend a great deal of time on this forum, but when I am here I find it to be a treasure trove of information. I certainly appreciate the work everyone running this forum and contributing to it put forth.

I was directed to this thread from another forum, and I'm quite surprised by what I found. Like Mr. Willis, I can say that my dealings with Brian have been nothing short of pleasurable. Admittedly, it's not on the same scope as some of the other dealings mentioned here, so I feel no need to become deeply involved in the conversation of business ethics centered around Brian.

What I will comment on is the overall taste this thread leaves in my mouth. From an outsider looking in, there does seem to be something of an "angry mob" mentality going on here. I have noticed that the fire is largely being fed by the same people over and over again, but that's beside the point. In my opinion, and maybe mine alone (which is fine), this is not the place to air dirty laundry. If you have a problem with Mr. Price (especially one of this scope), seek redress elsewhere.

Mr. Tobler: Regardless of your noble intentions for speaking up on internet forums, it simply does not seem particularly "chivalric" (since that seems to be the word of the day). I've always held you in some esteem Mr. Tobler, and what goes on between Mr. Price and yourself doesn't interest me a great deal, but this whole public posting business seems like it should be beneath you.

To put things plainly, I don't much care what has gone on, or is going on. It will all come out in the wash, just as these things always do. I can say that as a casual visitor to these forums I am aghast at the hateful manner with which these posts are being written. I may be completely ignorant to the details of what has gone on between Mr. Price and many of the people posting on this thread, but I will say this one last time: There is a place for issues like this to be decided, and a public forum is not one of them.

Based on what I've read so far, I wouldn't be particularly surprised with many of the responses which people might toss my way after this post. I'll happily continue to drop by this forum for useful and enjoyable information from time to time. Unfortunately, a great deal of "negative renown" is now attached to many people I had previously held in high regard simply for the manner/s in which they've purported themselves here. Say what you like, I highly doubt I'll be checking this thread again.
With Mr. Smith's comments, I find myself wondering the following things:
Where would he consider an appropriate place for this sort of discussion?
What was does he expect things to come out in?
With the level of patience that has been shown in the vast majority of posts in this thread, and the civility of the vast majority of posts, what would he think of a thread that actually was hateful?
If the manner in which posters have "purported themselves" (I don't think "purported" was the intended word there) has given them negative renown in Mr. Smith's eyes, well....
I would like to know what is the appropriate forum for deciding "issues like this"? For that matter, which of the several quite distinct issues is Mr. Smith addressing with that comment?

Going back a moment to "things coming out in the wash" "as they always do".

This thread is the laundromat. It is most certainly the case that things do not always come out. All too often people say "this isn't the place", "don't air dirty laundry in public" and all the other platitudes that amount to keep quiet and don't rock the boat with your complaining - no matter how bad the situation and how many will be victimized by your silence.

I don't expect any answers from Mr. Smith, considering his doubt that he will look at this thread again. :roll:
Gavin Kilkenny
Proprietor
Noble Lion Leather
hardened leather armour and sundry leather goods
www.noblelionleather.com
Maeryk
Archive Member

Post by Maeryk »

Sockpuppet ahoy! :)
John Smith

Post by John Smith »

Kilkenny wrote:I don't expect any answers from Mr. Smith, considering his doubt that he will look at this thread again. :roll:
Sure, now you're all going to dog pile my brother. How Chivalric.

Bonanza, if anyone fights any one of us, he's go a fight with me, Bonanza!

For thees insult, I curse you all!

Blankenship!
Blankenshtuff,
Blangenshield!
Arm? What arm?
DukeAvery
Archive Member

Post by DukeAvery »

Everyone, make your saving throws! :D

More seriously, I withhold judgement, until such time as it may fall to me to do so as a matter of survival. To those who believe Brian (perhaps rightly, perhaps not - I don't know) has acted unchivalrously, I suggest you write the secretary of the Order of Chivalry in which he resides.

So let's step away from the broad brushes. Please.

Regards

Avery
Doppel of Eberhauer
Imperial Mercenary of Atenveldt
Even a squire can win Crown Tournament.
Jonny Deuteronomy
Archive Member

Post by Jonny Deuteronomy »

John Smith wrote:How Chivalric.
I don't think that word means what you think it means.
It's all just goobdooberous fripdippery now.
DeCalmont
Archive Member

Post by DeCalmont »

John Smith wrote:
Kilkenny wrote:I don't expect any answers from Mr. Smith, considering his doubt that he will look at this thread again. :roll:
Sure, now you're all going to dog pile my brother. How Chivalric.

Bonanza, if anyone fights any one of us, he's go a fight with me, Bonanza!

For thees insult, I curse you all!

Blankenship!
Blankenshtuff,
Blangenshield!
Does Jeff J know you're posting from his computer? 8)
In Aqua, Vitam; In Vino, Veritas; In Cervisium, Felicitas; In Scotos, Illustratio
Tomburr
Archive Member

Post by Tomburr »

DukeAvery wrote:Everyone, make your saving throws! :D
Shit, I botched my roll!!!

:shock: Now what? :shock:
Thomas de Bristol
Nissan Maxima wrote:God grant me the courage to change what I can't accept...
Saritor
Archive Member

Post by Saritor »

DeCalmont wrote: Does Jeff J know you're posting from his computer? 8)
We all know what these government contractors are like, always leaving laptops with top-secret information lying about for just anyone to post from.

Hardly Mr. Smith's fault! :P
John Smith

Post by John Smith »

I have no idea what you are talking about. I'm Canadian, eh!

(hosers)
Arm? What arm?
DukeAvery
Archive Member

Post by DukeAvery »

Well, it it weren't my counter-spell of comedy, you'd have been sucked into the 9th plane of hell. So, I guess you're doomed to haunt the 9th plane of comedy.

:D :D :D
Tomburr wrote:

Doppel of Eberhauer
Mike England
Archive Member

Post by Mike England »

I heard JT took his laptop fishing and it fell overboard. Horrible accident, very tragic.
Tomburr
Archive Member

Post by Tomburr »

DukeAvery wrote:Well, it it weren't my counter-spell of comedy, you'd have been sucked into the 9th plane of hell. So, I guess you're doomed to haunt the 9th plane of comedy.

:D :D :D
Tomburr wrote:

Oh...well...I can live with that. Thanks for the counter-spell.
Thomas de Bristol
Nissan Maxima wrote:God grant me the courage to change what I can't accept...
Lady Charlotte
Archive Member

Post by Lady Charlotte »

Hello, Colin,
gilbertdeschamps wrote:Following Brian’s resignation, the Board of Directors held an emergency meeting to discuss his departure and to address two urgent matters that had also come to the Board’s attention through postings on the internet. The first concerned a loss of corporate status in the state of Texas where the organization is registered. The other concerned whether members’ personal injury and liability insurance was adversely affected by the loss of corporate status in Texas. The Board extends its thanks to those who posted this information online and thus alerted the Board to these issues.
You and the other members of the Schola's Board are most welcome.

As unexpected as these discoveries had been, they had hit very close to the bone for me as the mother of two young adults who are just embarking on the study of martial arts. Even though we don't live in Texas and my children are thus unlikely ever to study at the Schola, it had hit me as it did because I had almost simultaneously discovered that Mr. Price had been offering swordsmanship classes to children through the auspices of the City of Lewsiville Parks and Recreation Department.

Thus, what you all witnessed in that post was that side of my maternal instinct that isn't sweet, pink or frilly. Those here who are mothers or who have ever triggered that protective instinct in someone's mother will probably better grasp why I'd reacted so urgently.

However, that's behind us all now and I'm delighted for the sake of the Board and the students of the Schola Saint George that its corporate status can and will be revived in Texas and that there has been no lapse in its insurance coverage. I join with the others here in wishing everyone at the Schola every success in the future.

Lady Charlotte
Lady Charlotte
Archive Member

Post by Lady Charlotte »

Hello, Christian,
Christian H. Tobler wrote:This thread has gone in directions, and uncovered information, that were beyond my expectations. Thanks in particular to Lady Charlotte, for uncovering just how creepy some of it really is.
You are most welcome, and I'm not quite done yet. ;)

Christian H. Tobler wrote:Unfortunately, as some relayed back-channel word testifies, Brian still *doesn't get it*. It's still other people's fault to him, not his. And indeed this is the worldview of the classic narcissist.
I agree with you. Although Louis de Leon had suggested that people here read the description of a psychopath at the link he'd provided, above, in my opinion Mr. Price's behavior is classically that of someone with Narcissistic Personality Disorder:
Symptoms

A person with narcissistic personality disorder may:
  • React to criticism with rage, shame, or humiliation

Take advantage of other people to achieve his or her own goals

Have excessive feelings of self-importance

Exaggerate achievements and talents

Be preoccupied with fantasies of success, power, beauty, intelligence, or ideal love

Have unreasonable expectations of favorable treatment

Need constant attention and admiration

Disregard the feelings of others, and have little ability to feel empathy

Have obsessive self-interest

Pursue mainly selfish goals
I have a family member who's been diagnosed with NPD, so Mr. Price's shenanigans are all too familiar to me, even though we've never met, including the devotion of the friends he hasn't (yet ) screwed.

People with NPD can't function without a loyal group of fans who will reflect back to them what they want to believe about themselves, so they tend to those friends and family members as assiduously as they mistreat everyone else. They also tend to be extremely charming and often present themselves as kind, generous, helpful and all sorts of other good qualities.

Lady Charlotte
JT
Editor

Post by JT »

Mike England wrote:I heard JT took his laptop fishing and it fell overboard. Horrible accident, very tragic.
I will only go fishing if my wife baits the hook, and takes any fish that I catch off the hook, and guarantees that the average size of fish I catch will not go down as a result of the fishing expedition.
Gaston de Vieuxchamps
Archive Member

Post by Gaston de Vieuxchamps »

I have never understood the "all out in the wash" mentality. Where is this mystical "wash" and who is responsible for the laundry? I've had circular arguments with people about this: Enron, Madoff, Iran-Contra, Ted Bundy....
"See, we always find out eventually"
"How do you know?"
"Because we know about all of those things..."
"Are you saying that because we know about 100% of the things we know about that we know about 100% of the things that happen?"
"Yes."
"So with a sample selected on the basis of 'thngs we know about and think we know the whole story about' you have concluded that we know the whole story about all of them? Amazing."
At which point I realize the person lacks the requisite logical capacity for meaningful debate.
"Non Omne Quod Licet Honestum Est."
Maeryk
Archive Member

Post by Maeryk »

Gaston de Vieuxchamps wrote:I have never understood the "all out in the wash" mentality. Where is this mystical "wash" and who is responsible for the laundry? I've had circular arguments with people about this: Enron, Madoff, Iran-Contra, Ted Bundy....
"See, we always find out eventually"
"How do you know?"
"Because we know about all of those things..."
"Are you saying that because we know about 100% of the things we know about that we know about 100% of the things that happen?"
"Yes."
"So with a sample selected on the basis of 'thngs we know about and think we know the whole story about' you have concluded that we know the whole story about all of them? Amazing."
At which point I realize the person lacks the requisite logical capacity for meaningful debate.
usually it's "let them continue screwing others, and don't bring up "nasty" stuff as it might impact their ability to screw others".

Chivalry is about righting wrongs when you see it. This guy screwing people over, apparently consistantly and serially, lying about people, outright theft and copyright infringement, potential plagiarism.. those are all "wrongs".

Anyone standing there and saying "you are unchivalrous for bringing this up" is quite clearly full of it. It's unchivalrous to allow this crap to go unchecked, or not warn people of the potential of dealing with this turd burglar.
Jonny Deuteronomy
Archive Member

Post by Jonny Deuteronomy »

JT wrote:I will only go fishing if my wife baits the hook
Yes I hear she is quite the master baiter.
It's all just goobdooberous fripdippery now.
Trevor
Archive Member

Post by Trevor »

DukeAvery wrote:More seriously, I withhold judgement, until such time as it may fall to me to do so as a matter of survival.
I'm not sure I get your gist here; do you mean to say that you withhold judgment until such time that it would fall to you to withhold payment from suppliers of intellectual property *for years* as a matter of your survival? :?
"Thomas you are the bad guy because you have dared to embrace such concepts as patriotism, duty, and honor. If you add fidelity, trust, courage, and fortitude you have the new version of the seven deadly sins. " -Winterfell

www.kcsword.com
John Smith

Post by John Smith »

Trystyn of Anglesey wrote:
JT wrote:I will only go fishing if my wife baits the hook
Yes I hear she is quite the master baiter.
She sounds like she's good with her hands. That's important.
Arm? What arm?
DukeAvery
Archive Member

Post by DukeAvery »

Trevor wrote:
DukeAvery wrote:More seriously, I withhold judgement, until such time as it may fall to me to do so as a matter of survival.
I'm not sure I get your gist here; do you mean to say that you withhold judgment until such time that it would fall to you to withhold payment from suppliers of intellectual property *for years* as a matter of your survival? :?
Clearly, these are matters of survival and should be taken to appropriate venues - that is our social contract (however flawed by barrier costs). Are you suggesting that I should condemn a man's reputation based solely on the contents of this thread? These matters belong in front of a judge or a court of chivalry in matters sca.

I count myself fortunate that we don't live in such a tar and feathers world. Or do we?

If a man has done wrong then let him pay for those wrongs.

Regards

Avery
Doppel of Eberhauer
Baron Alcyoneus
Archive Member

Post by Baron Alcyoneus »

He has apparently, according to a number of victimized knights here, avoided that for decades.
Vypadni z mého trávník!

Does loyalty trump truth?

"If they hurt you, hurt them back. If they kill you, walk it off."- Captain America
Leo Medii
Archive Member

Post by Leo Medii »

Baron Alcyoneus wrote:He has apparently, according to a number of victimized knights here, avoided that for decades.
I would just like a yes, or no if he intended to make my gauntlets or will. I give people a lot of slack in stuff, which I need because I'm slow as dirt myself.
Lion of Irnham - Martial undertaking should never be a lowest common denominator endeavor.
Louis de Leon
Thinking of toast

Post by Louis de Leon »

Lady Charlotte wrote:I agree with you. Although Louis de Leon had suggested that people here read the description of a psychopath at the link he'd provided, above, in my opinion Mr. Price's behavior is classically that of someone with Narcissistic Personality Disorder:
Perhaps so. But some of the bullet points from the psychopathy page rang bells for me:
Psychopaths lack a sense of guilt or remorse for any harm they may have caused others, instead rationalizing the behavior, blaming someone else, or denying it outright.
Their behavior is impulsive and irresponsible, often failing to keep a job or defaulting on debts.
Psychopaths also have a markedly distorted sense of the potential consequences of their actions, not only for others, but also for themselves. They do not deeply recognize the risk of being caught, disbelieved or injured as a result of their behavior.
It's that last one that really hit home. I have spent some time thinking about this thread. A lot of time actually. This whole thing is just so bizarre to me. I want to know how this could be. How could someone do this? Take people for decades for thousands upon thousands of dollars, copy works, pass off other people's work as their own, and so on and so on. How could someone live day to day with all of that?

So I tried a thought-experiment to try to imagine what it would be like to take 5000 or so dollars from someone and just flat-out screw them. No intention of repayment or delivery or anything. Just "thanks for the money sucker" and walk away. That's only about 5k, not the 6 figure amounts that are most likely the sum of the claims in this thread.

And I was immediately hit with an extreme sense of danger. I would be looking behind every bush, checking under my car, looking at every shadow for someone with a baseball bat come to exact their revenge, or a cop at my door with my victim, or a summons, or a lawsuit notice in the mail. Now multiply that by a few dozen over the course of a couple of decades. How could you live with a sword of that size hanging over your head? Something must be terribly wrong, terribly terribly wrong. Something missing or just plain broken to live day to day in that state with no distress. It would crush me with fear and anxiety.

If you can live that way there is something seriously wrong with you.

I don't think mere narcissism can account for it. While I do see the parallels you have drawn, you have to also look at the criminal side to all of this. The total lack of acknowledging that something bad may happen to you. Personal revenge, lawsuits, jailtime. And there is no acknowledgment of those possibilities at all.

If the claims in this thread are true, then something is seriously dreadfully drastically wrong with the guy. I don't think it's a personality deficit. That just doesn't seem big enough to cover all of this.
Marco-borromei wrote:Stay away from Akron, unless you're cruelly interested in experimenting on your children. Will they survive the schools? The drugs? The boredom? Will desperation motivate them to leave or to go native?