Gulf Wars XX Photos

For those of us who wish to talk about the many styles and facets of recreating Medieval armed combat.
LR of E
Archive Member

Re: Gulf Wars XX Photos

Post by LR of E »

All that and you didn't get one picture of me! You'r Fired. :D

Morgan
jarlragnar
Archive Member

Post by jarlragnar »

InsaneIrish wrote:1st batch of my photos. As I get more up each of the galleries will get more photos in them. So keep checking back.

http://aiden-groundpounder.smugmug.com/ ... -Wars-2011'

Highlights

HAHA!!! Dieter is one famous dude.
14th Century Thug. FIGHT ME!!
InsaneIrish
SQUEEE!

Post by InsaneIrish »

LR of E wrote:I think I met you by asking "Are you yelling cuz your angry or cuz your injured?" :D

Morgan

LOL! Was that you!?

One hell of a way to meet huh?

"HURT! I don't yell like this when I'm PISSED!" :shock: :shock:

"CHIRGEON!"

"NO!!!!!! CALONTIR!!!!" :D :D :D
Insane Irish

Quote: "Nissan Maxima"
(on Pennsic) I know that movie. It is the 13th warrior. A bunch of guys in armour that doesn't match itself or anybody elses, go on a trip and argue and get drunk and get laid and then fight Tuchux.
William Arwemakere
Archive Member

Post by William Arwemakere »

Firstly Sir Malcolm, sorry about the calf..

This is what I learned, post-battle. In years (long) past, archers were allowed to attack from ramps. This was until B. Iain Fhearghuis (current DSMCA) took apart an entire flank doing laps on and off the ramp. The next year that policy was changed.

Evidently through the magic of cut & paste (and not proofread perhaps), the rule allowing archers to attack was back in place. Although I've now been trying, and cannot find _anything_ regarding the ramps anywhere.

So, as the ramp wasn't being used, I took advantage of the rule. I had no idea that Trimaris had no archers to engage me; though I heard they had some, but as they didn't think I was allowed to do what I was doing, they didn't shoot at me, instead sent marshals to deal with it. The rule was backed up by several marshals in the food chain, including the GW CA Marshal (HL Eadric Anstapa).

While working the ramp, I had no idea that I was not under fire, which is why I was running up and down, including two good tumbles from it. :)

At the point where I was able to stand at the top with no danger, the "hole" in the policy became evident. HRM's Trimaris and Ansteorra agreed that the rule should change. In light of the imbalance it caused, I agree.

I've been thinking about possible "fixes" to the ramp rule to allow archers to attack, but still be killable by rattan weapons. While CA are no longer "proximity kill", perhaps an archer on a ramp (ramp only, not another siege structure" could be killed either by a "5 foot rule" or having a pole weapon (or sword) placed at the top edge of the ramp with a "declared kill".

This would allow rattan fighters to kill me, without me being struck and potentially knocked off the ramp.

I do apologize if it appeared that I was breaking rules, or gaming the system.

HL William Arwemakere
InsaneIrish
SQUEEE!

Post by InsaneIrish »

2nd batch up!

more photos in the same galleries, so go back to the galleries you looked at before for new photos

more highlights

Insane Irish

(on Pennsic) I know that movie. It is the 13th warrior. A bunch of guys in armour that doesn't match itself or anybody elses, go on a trip and argue and get drunk and get laid and then fight Tuchux.
UrsusofAnglesey
Archive Member

Post by UrsusofAnglesey »

If I may be allowed to contribute... :)

There are now 300 plus pics from Monday and Tuesday of the war posted here: http://www.bogpages.com/SCA-photographs ... nd-Tuesday

A few samples:

I've still got thousands of pictures to process, so there will be lots more coming.

Hope you like them.

Ursus
ursus.smugmug.com
Paul the Small
Archive Member

Post by Paul the Small »

Hey Ursus, did you get any pictures of the decorations for the Known World Party? I know a few of the ladies who helped decorate and they didn't have time to take pictures.

Thanks,
paul
"A man who does not attack evil defends good but half-way."

Robert Schumann
kclayton wrote:In general, cultures which promote learning and admire intelligence generate teachers.
In general, cultures which look down on those things, do not.
UrsusofAnglesey
Archive Member

Paul the Small wrote:Hey Ursus, did you get any pictures of the decorations for the Known World Party? I know a few of the ladies who helped decorate and they didn't have time to take pictures.

Thanks,
paul
I'm afraid not. Sorry. I wish I had taken my camera to the Known World Party, because it would have been fun to get some shots of the fort with its decorations, the fire dancing and the fire balloons, but I left it in camp and was just too tired to walk back and get it. (Where are those bloody minions when you need them?)

Ah, well, maybe next year.

Ursus
ursus.smugmug.com
NeeSayer
Archive Member

Post by NeeSayer »

Awesome pictures as always ursus, can't wait to see the rest of them.
blackbow
Archive Member

Post by blackbow »

Ursus:

if you're ever in that situation and there are any Atlantians around (heck, anybody that knows you) I'm certain any of us would be only too glad to play step 'n fetchit for you.

Blackbow
UrsusofAnglesey wrote:
Paul the Small wrote:Hey Ursus, did you get any pictures of the decorations for the Known World Party? I know a few of the ladies who helped decorate and they didn't have time to take pictures.

Thanks,
paul
I'm afraid not. Sorry. I wish I had taken my camera to the Known World Party, because it would have been fun to get some shots of the fort with its decorations, the fire dancing and the fire balloons, but I left it in camp and was just too tired to walk back and get it. (Where are those bloody minions when you need them?)

Ursus
ego operor non tutela satis ut impono
InsaneIrish
SQUEEE!

Post by InsaneIrish »

Ursus, there are some really nice shots of the spear tourney in there.
Insane Irish

UrsusofAnglesey
Archive Member

blackbow wrote:Ursus:

if you're ever in that situation and there are any Atlantians around (heck, anybody that knows you) I'm certain any of us would be only too glad to play step 'n fetchit for you.

Blackbow
UrsusofAnglesey wrote:

Thanks,
paul

Ursus
That's very kind of you, Jonathan, but I'd have to give instructions on how to find and get into my tent, describe where to find my camera, which lenses and accessories to bring and to leave the rest behind (I had 5 lenses at GW and a whole suitcase-sized locked case to hold all my equipment). Even if I had wanted to someone to see how messy my tent was, and assuming my camp-mates would not freak out when a relative stranger walked into my tent and tried to walk out with some very expensive equipment.

Until very recently, I have stuck by my original determination never to bring out my camera at an SCA event after dark, but this year, I have had several requests and opportunities to do just that. Of course, that means bringing even more equipment for low-light photography. It never even occurred to me to bring my flash attachment - and then of course I was asked to take pictures at Atlantian court after dark and not to worry about flashes - sigh!

Live and learn. I will reconsider what I pack and bring to all future events, and try to be prepared for just about anything.

And thank you, Irish. I like the spear tourney, as it always allows me to get some shots of isolated fighters and captures of a lot of twists and turns on the fighters' part, as well as some great facial expressions. Being able to get very close to the action is another nice feature. It was a shame there were THREE tourneys going on simultaneously that day: spear, diamond tourney and barrier. I only managed to attend two, part-time.

And more generally, many, many thanks to all of YOU for your garb, your efforts and your fighting. All I do is point and click (okay, some computer manipulation also). It's you all that make the pictures, and I always feel very lucky to attend such a terrific photo op as GW.

I'll probably post another batch of photos later tonight or tomorrow night, depending on how much I get done this evening. Wednesday's shots are kind of a mixed bag, though, and I have lots of pictures from Thursday and Friday still coming. I hope to post them starting this weekend, but I'll keep you all posted here.

Ursus
ursus.smugmug.com
blackbow
Archive Member

Post by blackbow »

oh you thought I meant just to run back to camp! LOL... well that too but heck, carry the bag full of camera gear from the beginning...

"gee, Mr. Tyson, can I be your caddy for the day?" :twisted: :twisted:

blackbow
UrsusofAnglesey wrote:
blackbow wrote:Ursus:

Blackbow

That's very kind of you, Jonathan, but I'd have to give instructions on how to find and get into my tent, describe where to find my camera, which lenses and accessories to bring and to leave the rest behind (I had 5 lenses at GW and a whole suitcase-sized locked case to hold all my equipment). Even if I had wanted to someone to see how messy my tent was, and assuming my camp-mates would not freak out when a relative stranger walked into my tent and tried to walk out with some very expensive equipment.

Until very recently, I have stuck by my original determination never to bring out my camera at an SCA event after dark, but this year, I have had several requests and opportunities to do just that. Of course, that means bringing even more equipment for low-light photography. It never even occurred to me to bring my flash attachment - and then of course I was asked to take pictures at Atlantian court after dark and not to worry about flashes - sigh!

Live and learn. I will reconsider what I pack and bring to all future events, and try to be prepared for just about anything.

And thank you, Irish. I like the spear tourney, as it always allows me to get some shots of isolated fighters and captures of a lot of twists and turns on the fighters' part, as well as some great facial expressions. Being able to get very close to the action is another nice feature. It was a shame there were THREE tourneys going on simultaneously that day: spear, diamond tourney and barrier. I only managed to attend two, part-time.

And more generally, many, many thanks to all of YOU for your garb, your efforts and your fighting. All I do is point and click (okay, some computer manipulation also). It's you all that make the pictures, and I always feel very lucky to attend such a terrific photo op as GW.

I'll probably post another batch of photos later tonight or tomorrow night, depending on how much I get done this evening. Wednesday's shots are kind of a mixed bag, though, and I have lots of pictures from Thursday and Friday still coming. I hope to post them starting this weekend, but I'll keep you all posted here.

Ursus
ego operor non tutela satis ut impono
Morgan
Archive Member

Post by Morgan »

Fantastic work as always, Ursus... I always wait (im)patiently for your photos to come out.
Sir Omarad
Archive Member

Post by Sir Omarad »

Morgan wrote:Fantastic work as always, Ursus... I always wait (im)patiently for your photos to come out.

I agree!!
War is cruelty. There's no use trying to reform it, the crueler it is the sooner it will be over.
-Gen. W.T. Sherman[/b]
UrsusofAnglesey
Archive Member

Thank you for you kind words. I really do appreciate it.

Well, Wednesday's pics are now up. 246 of them: http://ursus.smugmug.com/SCA-photograph ... Wednesday/

No war points that day, but plenty was going on.

On my way to Early Period A & S in Basternai camp, I stopped and watched the Combat Archery:

Saw camps along the way:

The interior of the longhouse:

Back to Fort, to see a battle:

Beauty break: Lady Brekke of Trimaris, who is sadly moving to far away Caid. Or West. I get them mixed up.

Next, 5 man melee tourney:

And finally Atlantian and Middle unbelts face off:

Thursday and Friday were actually busier for me, at least picture wise. I will probably not be able to post Thrsday's gallery until sometime next week.

Hope you like the pics.

Ursus
ursus.smugmug.com
NeeSayer
Archive Member

Post by NeeSayer »

Ursus, you are absolutely awesome man. Thanks for posting those up and can't wait to see the rest (since those are all the battles I actually got to fight in).
Brekke
Archive Member

Post by Brekke »

Silly Ursus, :oops: if it weren't for you taking so many beautiful photos of all my eastern kingdom friends, I would be much sadder about moving to the West. So remember, this Pennsic, you have to be extra-awesome for me, as we will be on the road.
Yep, I got nuthin'...
Heinrich the German

Post by Heinrich the German »

Those are excellent photos of the unbelt practice! (and everything else of course, I am just a little biased.) Thank you very much!
"With 2000+ years of recorded warfare on this planet, the best game plan most SCA folks can come up with is 'Get them!' "
NeeSayer
Archive Member

Post by NeeSayer »

::giddy with anticipation on more::
Gunthar
Archive Member

Post by Gunthar »

Did you, or anyone, happen to get any pics of me proposing to my lady at the Champion's Battle on Thursday?
I REALLY should have warned the photographer in my camp about that because I haven't seen anything.
Yers,

Duke Gunthar
Brekke
Archive Member

Post by Brekke »

Gunthar, My friend Sir Judah got a bunch from across the field. His FB album is here: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?id=12 ... id=2113301

But if you want, I'm sure he can email you the photos directly so you have good versions of them.
brekke
Yep, I got nuthin'...
Fokke
Archive Member

Post by Fokke »

We still had archers on the Widow Breach section of the wall. I am surprised a spearman didnt simply hold up his spear and call you dead without violating the rules, it would have been fair I think. Pretty sure we had archers up until the very end, I saw one getting run down on my way to the dead area after getting knocked out of the breach on the final push.
Its a battle not a tournie, there's a difference.
Malcolm MacLachlan
Archive Member

Post by Malcolm MacLachlan »

Brekke wrote:Gunthar, My friend Sir Judah got a bunch from across the field. His FB album is here: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?id=12 ... id=2113301

But if you want, I'm sure he can email you the photos directly so you have good versions of them.
brekke
Who was getting knighted in the album? I'd really love to know where they got the draco standard he was given. I've been wanting one for some time.
KSCA- Meridies

Remember, bring the banana to your mouth......not your mouth to the banana.
Brekke
Archive Member

Post by Brekke »

Malcolm MacLachlan wrote:
Brekke wrote:Gunthar, My friend Sir Judah got a bunch from across the field. His FB album is here: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?id=12 ... id=2113301

brekke
Who was getting knighted in the album? I'd really love to know where they got the draco standard he was given. I've been wanting one for some time.

That was Gaeris (I had to go check, Trimaris Knighted 2 at war this year) I can ask this weekend where the draco standard came from.
Yep, I got nuthin'...
Gunthar
Archive Member

Post by Gunthar »

This one is just what I was looking for! Thank you.
Yers,

Duke Gunthar
Malcolm MacLachlan
Archive Member

Post by Malcolm MacLachlan »

Brekke wrote:

That was Gaeris (I had to go check, Trimaris Knighted 2 at war this year) I can ask this weekend where the draco standard came from.
I would greatly appreciate it.Thanks.
KSCA- Meridies

Remember, bring the banana to your mouth......not your mouth to the banana.
UrsusofAnglesey
Archive Member

Gunthar wrote:Did you, or anyone, happen to get any pics of me proposing to my lady at the Champion's Battle on Thursday?
I REALLY should have warned the photographer in my camp about that because I haven't seen anything.
I think I did, but I'm not sure. It appears someone else did a fine job of catching the moment, though. :)

Ursus
ursus.smugmug.com
UrsusofAnglesey
Archive Member

Next gallery up. 460 some odd pics from Thursday: http://www.bogpages.com/SCA-photographs ... X-Thursday

Here's a few samples:

Yes, I did get pictures of your proposal, good sir. More in gallery.

Hope you like them,

Ursus
ursus.smugmug.com
Gunthar
Archive Member

Post by Gunthar »

Those are wonderful and great pics of the proposal. Thank you.
Oh, and the last photo that you just posted is of my squire, Baron Alejandro, fighting his
knight marshal and my temporary squire, Lord Sven, in the Roses Tournament.

Very cool.
Yers,

Duke Gunthar
NeeSayer
Archive Member

Post by NeeSayer »

And my powers of invisibility continues
Bristlebeard

Post by Bristlebeard »

Beautiful pics Ursus, love the fact that I am in a few of them also!
Sir Olafr Bristle-beard
UrsusofAnglesey
Archive Member

NeeSayer wrote:And my powers of invisibility continues
After taking thousands of pictures and spending virtually all day, every day with a camera in my hand at GW, from an event that has thousands of people, and then spending dozens of hours processing them, are you trying to make me feel guilty because I did not get one of YOU? :(

Sorry. I guess I'll have to try harder next time. Or make sure I know what you look like so I don't fail you again.

I'm just joking, of course.

Really.

To any of you who have similar concerns, I repeat the offer I've made many times: just ask me to take your picture.

I carry enough CF cards and batteries so that taking a few extra pictures is (almost) never a concern. And I like taking "portraits". Candids and actions shots are more fun, of course, but I certainly don't mind snapping off a few more and practicing my close-up skills. Even if I don't consider them "bogpages-worthy" (as a friend of mine recently remarked), I'd be happy to email the best ones to you (eventually - no rush jobs when I'm working for free). I am hesitant to ask people I don't know to pose for me, because I don't want to intrude, but if you ask me specifically to snap a photo of you (or 2 or 3 or 12), I will (usually) gladly oblige. The only thing I ask is that you try to catch me between battles/tourneys, so I can concentrate on the action while it is happening.

I make no apologies about my priorities either, which I have never made a secret of: 1) Anglesey and my friends, 2) Atlantia, my home kingdom and 3) whatever else catches my eye (pretty women given a slight priority in this category).

Thank you, Neesayer, for the chance to address this topic. Even though my galleries obviously suffer from your stellar presence, I hope you liked the rest of the photos. :twisted:

Ursus
ursus.smugmug.com
ThorvaldR Skegglauss
Archive Member

Post by ThorvaldR Skegglauss »

Ursus,

I love you pics! Have been a fan for a while now. I had hoped to see me in some of them but it just wasn't meant to be. You were on the wrong end of the line during the ravine battle. I was fighting with Calontir so it was unlikely. You follow Atlantia alot (which is understandable) and I didn't get to line up against them during most of the war. No worries on my end, even though I haven't made any of your highlight reels. ;-)

regards
ThorvaldR
Hertogi ThorvaldR Skegglauss, Drachenwald KSCA

Just have fun and do right by yourself and others.
GvR
Archive Member

Post by GvR »

Ursus,
I am sure NeeSayer didn't mean anything against you at all. It's just that, to be caught in an Ursus action shot is really a cool thing. I was in a few of yours last GW ( didn't make it this year) and I was really thrilled to show them to folks. Your work ROCKS and being in them is ubercool icing on our SCA cake.
Respectfully,
Gerhard von Ravensberg

It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first. R.A.H.