Gulf Wars XX Photos

For those of us who wish to talk about the many styles and facets of recreating Medieval armed combat.
azure d'or
Archive Member

Re: Gulf Wars XX Photos

Post by azure d'or »

Nice picture of me and HRM AnneLyse at the Rose Tourney, thanks Ursus.
Rosa Meridiana
Order of the Laurel

"Complaining isn't nearly as effective as complaining and working toward solutions." - HG John the Bearkiller

"Adults actually talk things out face-to-face" - Duke Godwine of Sherbourne
UrsusofAnglesey
Archive Member

Post by UrsusofAnglesey »

Neesayer, I owe you an apology. I was wrong, sir, to say what I did, and I hope you will forgive me.

I have lots of excuses, but none of them justify my overreaction to what was merely an observation rather than the criticism I wrongly took it for.

To all of you (including and especially Neesayer) thanks very much for your kind words. Over all, everyone in the SCA has been incredibly supportive, and I really do appreciate it. It is, unfortunately, in my nature to be a perfectionist and to obsess over the bad rather than enjoy and appreciate the good.

I wish many times I could take even more pictures, because all of you deserve recognition for your efforts, but especially in big battles, my line of sight is usually limited to within a few dozen feet of the sideline where I am standing. So I have to make some hard choices and just do the best I can (one day I should make a gallery called "Marshals' butts", and it would be huge, believe me). And I have to add that the most frequent criticism/feedback I seem to get, which can be frustrating, is: "Why didn't you take more pictures of me/us?" As I said in my little rant above, I am only one man with a camera, but I work hard to take many, many pictures so I can cover as much as possible. I know you didn't mean to criticize, Neesayer, but it can be hard to hear that sometimes.

Now I may be an awesome photographer who can do no wrong (I wish!), but I don't buy it. I appreciate honest feedback, but I also like constructive criticism and suggestions, so please feel free to say something like: "Great pictures, Ursus (that part is mandatory :wink:), BUT..."

I look forward to many more years of documenting the exploits of all of you, because I really do enjoy what I am doing and I feel like I'm getting better and better at it, with much more growth to come.

Thanks for your patience and understanding,

Ursus

P.S. I still have a few thousand photos from Friday to process (heck, I've looked at less than half of them so far myself), and I'll try to get the best ones posted early next week (if I get furloughed, which seems likely at this point, I'll have even more time to work on them...). No Saturday photos, I'm afraid. I was packing and left for home that day.
ursus.smugmug.com
Brekke
Archive Member

Post by Brekke »

UrsusofAnglesey wrote:one day I should make a gallery called "Marshals' butts", and it would be huge, believe me

HAHAHAHAHHAHAAHA!!!!

wait, why am I laughing? I'm in that gallery.....
Yep, I got nuthin'...
ThorvaldR Skegglauss
Archive Member

Post by ThorvaldR Skegglauss »

Brekke wrote:
UrsusofAnglesey wrote:one day I should make a gallery called "Marshals' butts", and it would be huge, believe me

HAHAHAHAHHAHAAHA!!!!

wait, why am I laughing? I'm in that gallery.....
yeah, but somehow I think we could all live with that. ;-)

regards
ThorvaldR
Hertogi ThorvaldR Skegglauss, Drachenwald KSCA

Just have fun and do right by yourself and others.
blackbow
Archive Member

Post by blackbow »

I say we find Neesayer at an event, duct tape him, take him to ursus, hand ursus his camera, and release Neesayer into the wild.

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Blackbow
ego operor non tutela satis ut impono
UrsusofAnglesey
Archive Member

blackbow wrote:I say we find Neesayer at an event, duct tape him, take him to ursus, hand ursus his camera, and release Neesayer into the wild.

Blackbow
As amusing as that might be, I am the one in the wrong here, Jonathan, not Neesayer. He does not deserve to be punished or humiliated for my failings.

I mean, I'm not Trystyn Wyndhaven of Anglesey or (insert blowhard of your choice here). I do make mistakes occasionally, and I even admit to making those mistakes. :twisted:

I appreciate the support, but in this case it is misplaced.

Ursus
ursus.smugmug.com
Peikko
Archive Member
Location: Formerly the sunny bit of England...Now returned to Malagentia, EK.

Post by Peikko »

UrsusofAnglesey wrote:
blackbow wrote:I say we find Neesayer at an event, duct tape him, take him to ursus, hand ursus his camera, and release Neesayer into the wild.

Blackbow
As amusing as that might be, I am the one in the wrong here, Jonathan, not Neesayer. He does not deserve to be punished or humiliated for my failings.

I mean, I'm not Trystyn Wyndhaven of Anglesey or (insert blowhard of your choice here). I do make mistakes occasionally, and I even admit to making those mistakes. :twisted:

Ursus
but...but...where's the fun in that?
:?
"trust me, I'm an archaeologist..."
The Iron Door Collective
http://www.swordfightexeter.org/
blackbow
Archive Member

Post by blackbow »

LMAO! sorry, I wasn't pointing fingers at anybody - I just wanted you to have a chance to take many pictures of Neesayer. If we duct tape him we know he can't run away, that's all-

Blackbow
UrsusofAnglesey wrote:

Blackbow

Ursus
ego operor non tutela satis ut impono
Jonny Deuteronomy
Archive Member

Post by Jonny Deuteronomy »

UrsusofAnglesey wrote:I mean, I'm not Trystyn Wyndhaven of Anglesey or (insert blowhard of your choice here).
Wait, what? :o
It's all just goobdooberous fripdippery now.
NeeSayer
Archive Member

Post by NeeSayer »

Ursus, please take the apology that I really didn't mean any criticism by what I said. No matter the event I have to power of invisibility and should of stated that. No worries on what was said, I should of further clarified brother.

As far as duct taping me then releasing me into the wild...

Gotta catch me first brother ;)
UrsusofAnglesey
Archive Member

Last gallery up: http://www.bogpages.com/SCA-photographs ... -XX-Friday

Includes the Deed, Bridge battle, Field battle and Squires' Tourney.

Thanks for your patience.

Here's a few samples:

I have to ask, Nissan: Do you paint a bulls-eye on the back of your helmet or something? :twisted:

Hope you like them.

Ursus
ursus.smugmug.com
Nissan Maxima
Thor's Taint

Post by Nissan Maxima »

Thanks, man.
I am the SCA's middle finger.
www.clovenshield.org
LR of E
Archive Member

Post by LR of E »

503 Service Not Available???? maybe work has it blocked. I'll check when I get home

Morgan
ThorvaldR Skegglauss
Archive Member

Post by ThorvaldR Skegglauss »

LR of E wrote:503 Service Not Available???? maybe work has it blocked. I'll check when I get home

Morgan
Nope, I got the same message and I am at home this morning. :-(
Hertogi ThorvaldR Skegglauss, Drachenwald KSCA

Just have fun and do right by yourself and others.
UrsusofAnglesey
Archive Member

Thorvaldr Skegglauss wrote:
LR of E wrote:503 Service Not Available???? maybe work has it blocked. I'll check when I get home

Morgan
Nope, I got the same message and I am at home this morning. :-(
So did I.

Well, ain't that a kick in the pants.

Crap.

I can only hope service will be restored soon, but I'll see what I can find out. I mean, they have like 50,000 photos of mine and Smugmug has always been very reliable, so I don't know what to think.

Ursus
ursus.smugmug.com
UrsusofAnglesey
Archive Member

I wrote Smugmug an email, and within 10 minutes they got back to me. Apparently they were doing some server maintenance, and had a few problems. They apologized and told me the site should be back up soon.

Sorry for the glitch, so just try again in a few minutes and hopefully it will be up again.

Again, I cannot recommend Smugmug strongly enough, folks.

Ursus
ursus.smugmug.com
LR of E
Archive Member

Post by LR of E »

It's back up now. Great pics as always Ursus.

Morgan
Nissan Maxima
Thor's Taint

Post by Nissan Maxima »

UrsusofAnglesey wrote: Image

I have to ask, Nissan: Do you paint a bulls-eye on the back of your helmet or something? :twisted:
For some reason peope seem to feel more comfortable fighting me from behind. :twisted: Oh well. Sometimes you smash people, sometimes people smash you and sometimes these things happen at the same time.
www.clovenshield.org
Sir Omarad
Archive Member

Post by Sir Omarad »

Awesome pics!
I finally made it onto someone's camera.
:)
25 years of fighting and I've had my hand in Life Magazine, my foot and knee on CBS, bits and parts in a few documentaries, but never a decent shot.
Great job on these.
Thanks.
War is cruelty. There's no use trying to reform it, the crueler it is the sooner it will be over.
-Gen. W.T. Sherman[/b]
Mord
Archive Member

Post by Mord »

Ursus,

Thanks for the posting the photos and all your efforts. Not to sound egotistical, but there's a photo of me going onto to the bridge (#222). Is it possible to for me to download or somehow get a copy?

Thanks, again.

Mord.
Keep calm and carry a bigger stick.
UrsusofAnglesey
Archive Member

Mord wrote:Ursus,

Thanks for the posting the photos and all your efforts. Not to sound egotistical, but there's a photo of me going onto to the bridge (#222). Is it possible to for me to download or somehow get a copy?

Thanks, again.

Mord.
Egotistical? Say it ain't so! :shock:

No problem, Mord. You can lift it directly from the website. Just right-click on it and hit "save as...". I suggest opening a larger version before you save it so you get greater resolution and size. If you select a smaller version, that's all it will ever be... a smaller version of the picture.

If you have any trouble, drop me an email and I'll send you a copy.

Glad you liked them.

Ursus
ursus.smugmug.com
Palymar
Archive Member

Post by Palymar »

Ursus,
Great pictures. I owe you a drink or 5 for ones from Friday's Bridge battle :-)
Sometimes you get the Duke you need instead of the one you want.
Gaston de Clermont
Archive Member

Post by Gaston de Clermont »

Ursus- your pictures rock! I loved the ones from The Deed, and I'm very glad you came out early to snap those. The bridge battle was epic, and it's great to be able to relive that hard push on the right bridge with the photos. Thanks!
Guy Dawkins
Archive Member

Post by Guy Dawkins »

Ursus,
Your photos from the Deed are GREAT!

It's like being there all over again!

Thanks
Guy Dawkins
Barony of Ayreton
Kingdom of the Middle
This whole mad slide into hell started when we let California have it's own pizza.
Honor virtutis praemium

Post by NeeSayer »

And I officially retract my invisibility statement. Thanks for taking this shot Ursus, much appreciated (even though I lost that fight because the dude disarmed me and won the fight). I'd be the crusader on the right.

UrsusofAnglesey
Archive Member

NeeSayer wrote:And I officially retract my invisibility statement. Thanks for taking this shot Ursus, much appreciated (even though I lost that fight because the dude disarmed me and won the fight). I'd be the crusader on the right.

You mean this? :shock:

I decided not to add this to the gallery, mostly because it's slightly out of focus.

Here's all the photos I took of you axe fight (6 I think): http://s39.photobucket.com/albums/e193/ ... /Neesayer/

Again, I thought they were of lightly inferior quality, but I owe you. :wink:

Ursus
ursus.smugmug.com
Gaston de Clermont
Archive Member

Post by Gaston de Clermont »

Even a touch out of focus those are some fantastic shots. And isn't that Dreadlord Nissan in the background, sporting his 14th century kit?
NeeSayer
Archive Member

Post by NeeSayer »

I appreciate you providing a link to the other pictures brother, but you don't owe me anything. There's no worries on my end. I'll give ya a beer next time we're at the same event (probably pennsic).

And yea... it's times like that fight that I wish I carried a back up weapon. I should get around to finishing mine one of these days.
SyrRaim
Archive Member

Post by SyrRaim »

Thanks Ursus, for the great pictures of the Deed. You can't seeit in the pic with Nigel trying to hitme with a onehanded longsword, but I'm laughing my ass off. Every time he swung backward his aventail did a little flip up, in the front. I started to reach for my dagger once but I was laughing too hard!
Raim
Condemnare Infelicitas
Gunthar
Archive Member

Post by Gunthar »

Sir Raim, that is a rockin' brig, btw.
Yers,

Duke Gunthar
Nissan Maxima
Thor's Taint

Post by Nissan Maxima »

Gaston de Clermont wrote:Even a touch out of focus those are some fantastic shots. And isn't that Dreadlord Nissan in the background, sporting his 14th century kit?
Yup. I fought in that 90 lb tank all day and even did some slooow pickups. My feet were really happy when I stopped for the day.
www.clovenshield.org
GodfreyTheVigilant
Archive Member

Post by GodfreyTheVigilant »

Great photos all around :-)
In Hoc Signo Vinces
SyrRaim
Archive Member

Post by SyrRaim »

Gunthar wrote:Sir Raim, that is a rockin' brig, btw.
Thanks, my original inspiration was the velvet covered piece in the Met, similar to the one I wore in my Drachenwald days. I saw a piece in one of the european museums that was, sort of, transitional, smaller plates than the corrozina, but larger than a true brigindine. I have a photo around here somewhere with info about the museum, too. I'll find it one of these days! I'd love to find more of those "nails" it's assembled with!

Take care of that arm!!
Regards,
Raim
Condemnare Infelicitas