How to make a Vitus axe- tutorial.

For those of us who wish to talk about the many styles and facets of recreating Medieval armed combat.
Bjorn the Beardless

Re: How to make a Vitus axe- tutorial.

Post by Bjorn the Beardless »

Tom B. - good point. I considered the rivets to be in the handle, not the weapon head but it would be best to avoid issues entirely.

Konstantin the Red - you are correct in that a Dane axe does not have a tang. It also does not have duct tape, a foam edge or is it fabricated from leather. The weapon in this tutorial does have a tang regardless of its final shape. It is different from the wrap around thing, the stiffener, as it is a protrusion that inserts into a handle.
Konstantin the Red
Archive Member

Post by Konstantin the Red »

I was bewildered... never built me an axe ever, let alone one Vitus style. I'd rather figured on a U-strap bent round the haft end and fixed on either face of the blade to stabilize and hold it on, with great lashings of tough tape and household cement as well.

Considering the warhead pretends to be metal, buttonlike things pretending to be rivet heads wherever desired might be the very thing. Even artful blobs of silicone sealant... like plugging and roofing over stitch holes with artificial sinew through them and through the haft. If that much mechanical, not adhesive, fastening is needed.
"The Minstrel Boy to the war is gone..."
C.O. Butcher
Archive Member

Post by C.O. Butcher »

Bump.

I'm thinking about using this method to make a lochaber axe. For the hook coming off the back side of the blade I'm thinking of just bending the shaft around (shepherd's crook style) and adding a thrusting tip to the hook. Has anybody tried to bend rattan? I've seen youtube videos and looks really easy but I would gladly accept any advice the hivemind might have.
Pacem volo, bellum paro.
MTNScout
Archive Member

Post by MTNScout »

Question, does a two handed weapon's hook need to have the padding/progressive give?

In the case of this hook will the outside need the layers of foam or should it be okay?
Attachments
13046280_10154697633934692_2039323657_n.jpg
13046280_10154697633934692_2039323657_n.jpg (52.8 KiB) Viewed 456 times
Lord Cataldo Querini - Shire of Isenfir
Zubeydah
Dark Overlord Chick of the Universe

Post by Zubeydah »

Could this thread be made sticky?