6' Polearm thrusting tip question

For those of us who wish to talk about the many styles and facets of recreating Medieval armed combat.
Rodney
Archive Member

6' Polearm thrusting tip question

Post by Rodney »

Please forgive me if this topic has been discussed. I have searched many topics and not found the answer to date.
The SEM Announcements / Rulings webpage wrote:Rattan Two-handed weapons: thrusting tips
VII. WEAPONS STANDARDS, Section C, page 14

New Standard

5. (a) When thrusting tips are used on rattan weapons with greater length than 7.5', they shall be no less than 2 inches (50.8 mm) in diameter/cross-section and have 2 inches (50.8 mm) of resilient material in front of the rigid tip of the weapon, thereby providing progressively resistant give.
(b) When thrusting tips are used on rattan weapons with length less than or equal to 7.5', they shall be at least the same diameter as the shaft of the weapon they are mounted on and have 1.5 inches (38.1 mm) of resilient material in front of the rigid tip of the weapon, thereby providing progressively resistant give. (Note: Pressing with the thumb into the center of the thrusting tip is not an adequate test. The give must be across the entire face of the tip.)
I am currently making a new 6 foot polearm. I would like to have a sexy thrusting tip "at least the same diameter as the shaft of the weapon".

Is an approved commercially available thrusting tip currently manufactured that satisfies section 5(b) "and have 1.5 inches (38.1 mm) of resilient material in front of the rigid tip of the weapon, thereby providing progressively resistant give".

I fight mostly in Northshield and Calontir if it's important for regional differences.

Thank you in advance!
-Rodney
Mercenary Company Nevermore, Nordskogen

“I have been known to drink cheap beer (and sake), only because I refuse to drink cheap scotch... And well ya gotta cut corners somewheres.” - Drogo Bryce
Baron Eirik
Archive Member

Re: 6' Polearm thrusting tip question

Post by Baron Eirik »

I sell neoprene foam tips, including 1 3/8 inch dia by 1.5 inch thick. 4 for $5. s/h is $3 but you could get 2 or 3 four-packs in that same box.
Master Eirik, MSCA
Munitions Grade Arms, Rattan & Thrusting Tips
Now on Facebook
InsaneIrish
SQUEEE!

Post by InsaneIrish »

In Calontir, inline thrusting tips are legal for 2handed weapons. So, same diameter as the weapon shaft, but still needs to be 2" tall with 1/2" of progressive give without bottoming out on the rattan.
Insane Irish

Quote: "Nissan Maxima"
(on Pennsic) I know that movie. It is the 13th warrior. A bunch of guys in armour that doesn't match itself or anybody elses, go on a trip and argue and get drunk and get laid and then fight Tuchux.
InsaneIrish
SQUEEE!

Post by InsaneIrish »

Adendum to the above. The inline thrusties are ONLY good for up to 7 1/2" ft. weapons. So, inline thrusties are NOT legal for 9ft. spears.
Insane Irish

(on Pennsic) I know that movie. It is the 13th warrior. A bunch of guys in armour that doesn't match itself or anybody elses, go on a trip and argue and get drunk and get laid and then fight Tuchux.
Baron Eirik
Archive Member

Post by Baron Eirik »

2" tall for 7.5 and under?

I hadn't heard that.
Master Eirik, MSCA
Now on Facebook
Sir Omarad
Archive Member

Post by Sir Omarad »

Baron Eirik wrote:2" tall for 7.5 and under?

I hadn't heard that.
must just be a calontir thing.
War is cruelty. There's no use trying to reform it, the crueler it is the sooner it will be over.
-Gen. W.T. Sherman[/b]
Baron Eirik
Archive Member

Post by Baron Eirik »

So I understood, I try to keep track of such and had not heard their Kingdom's restriction.
Master Eirik, MSCA
Now on Facebook
InsaneIrish
SQUEEE!

Post by InsaneIrish »

Sir Omarad wrote:
must just be a calontir thing.

Yes, currently our thrusty guidelines are as follows:

low profile and inline for single handed swords: minimum 3/4" tall (low profile), same diameter as weapon (inline) with progressive 3/8" give.

2handed weapons up to 7.5ft: minimum 2" tall, same diameter as weapon with 1/2" progressive give without bottoming out.

Above 7.5ft. 2" wide, 2" tall thrusty with 1/2" progressive give on rattan shafted weapons. 3" wide 2" tall 1/2" progressive give on fiberglass shafted spears.

Currently the 2" wide tips for fiberglass spears are STILL in experimental stage.
Insane Irish

Dafydd
Archive Member

Post by Dafydd »

InsaneIrish wrote:Yes, currently our thrusty guidelines are as follows:

low profile and inline for single handed swords: minimum 3/4" tall (low profile), same diameter as weapon (inline) with progressive 3/8" give.

2handed weapons up to 7.5ft: minimum 2" tall, same diameter as weapon with 1/2" progressive give without bottoming out.

Above 7.5ft. 2" wide, 2" tall thrusty with 1/2" progressive give on rattan shafted weapons. 3" wide 2" tall 1/2" progressive give on fiberglass shafted spears.

Currently the 2" wide tips for fiberglass spears are STILL in experimental stage.
Same for rapiers?

I keed... :D
Earl Dafydd ap Gwynedd, KSCA
per barry engrailed of nine, vert and argent, a raven's head erased, proper
"In democracy, it's your vote that counts; in feudalism, it's your Count that votes..."
Rodney
Archive Member

Post by Rodney »

Baron Eirik, thank you for responding. A PM is awaiting you in your in-box.

InsaneIrish, thank you for the Calontir information as I wouldn't want to get to Lilies War and not be able to play with my new toy! You would be happy to know that the prototype on my workbench right now is your design from an earlier post. Thank you!
-Rodney
Mercenary Company Nevermore, Nordskogen

“I have been known to drink cheap beer (and sake), only because I refuse to drink cheap scotch... And well ya gotta cut corners somewheres.” - Drogo Bryce