New poleaxe, thanks to this forum

For those of us who wish to talk about the many styles and facets of recreating Medieval armed combat.
Rodney
Archive Member

New poleaxe, thanks to this forum

Post by Rodney »

I wanted to share my new poleaxe because without this forum it would not exist.

Before I continue, I wish to thank:
Vitus von Atzinger for the design and construction notes in his How to make a Vitus axe- tutorial thread.
Baron Eirik for his wonderful thrusting tips suggested in the 6' Polearm thrusting tip question thread.
InsaneIrish for his clacker design in the Polearm Construction Advice Needed - Northshield/Calontir thread as well as his input on Calontir rules so I can play with my new toys at Lilies War this year without worry.

The poleaxe is based (loosely) on a cheap reproduction model. The total length is just shy of 6'. The slightly octagonal haft measures 1.5" in diameter and was hand planed from a 2" piece of rattan. I rubbed boiled linseed oil on the haft to give it a more authentic look. Each thrusting tip is the same diameter as the haft, compresses at least 1/2" and is 2" long (to satisfy Calontir rules). The hammer head is 4" long and the axe head is 8" long. Both have a clacker made from half a 1.5" piece of rattan and is seated on built up foam providing at least 1/2" progressive give. After taping the heck out of the head, I finished it with three thin coats of Plasti Dip. The last coat was mixed with a small amount silver paint for appearances. The "langets" are simply painted on with Plasti Dip and the nail heads are just drawn with a Sharpie marker.

Now I have to build a 7.5' padded polearm!
Attachments
DSCF2137copy.jpg
DSCF2137copy.jpg (41.87 KiB) Viewed 2250 times
DSCF2139copy.jpg
DSCF2139copy.jpg (40.75 KiB) Viewed 2250 times
-Rodney
Mercenary Company Nevermore, Nordskogen

“I have been known to drink cheap beer (and sake), only because I refuse to drink cheap scotch... And well ya gotta cut corners somewheres.” - Drogo Bryce
Brother Logan
Archive Member

Re: New poleaxe, thanks to this forum

Post by Brother Logan »

Very well done, look really nice!
Leo Livas
Lord Logan Pathwarden
Citizen of Drachenwald
Compaignye du Chalis
http://www.mron.org

A sociopath may kill you but a psychopath will also eat you.~ Nissan Maxima

I think its just common sense to inspect anything you put into your vagina.~ WMA
Oscad
Archive Member

Post by Oscad »

Lookin' good....
Vitus von Atzinger
Archive Member

Post by Vitus von Atzinger »

Why didn't you cut the head in the same shape at the real one? Why a triangle?
"I am trying to be a great burden to my squires. The inner changes we look for will not take place except under the weight of great burdens."
-Me
Rodney
Archive Member

Post by Rodney »

Vitus von Atzinger wrote:Why didn't you cut the head in the same shape at the real one? Why a triangle?
I agree a nice back curve would be MUCH sexier. I was initially worried about the strength of the head, but after all was completed it became very obvious that I was needlessly concerned. Following your instructions produces a rock solid weapon. I may rip it apart and make it sexier in the near future.
-Rodney

“I have been known to drink cheap beer (and sake), only because I refuse to drink cheap scotch... And well ya gotta cut corners somewheres.” - Drogo Bryce
Scott
Archive Member

Post by Scott »

You can probably add the concave curves to the sides of the head without taking it all apart.

Draw the curved lines on the head, and then use a drum sander to sand the leather heads down to the lines.
Remove the tape/plastidip from the sides of the head since its not doing anything, and then re-tape.

Did you use whole rattan for the clackers, or split rattan?
You can lose some weight and reduce the profile if you split the clackers in half and just use a half piece.

- Scott
Rodney
Archive Member

Post by Rodney »

I couldn't leave well enough alone and reshaped the head. It's the same poleaxe modified with a jigsaw, re-taped and re-coated with Plasti Dip.
Attachments
DSCF2163copy.jpg
DSCF2163copy.jpg (32.02 KiB) Viewed 2005 times
DSCF2161copy.jpg
DSCF2161copy.jpg (31.72 KiB) Viewed 2005 times
-Rodney

Tomburr
Archive Member

Post by Tomburr »

Now that is a dead sexy weapon. I would be proud to be smacked in the head with that thing.
Thomas de Bristol
Nissan Maxima wrote:God grant me the courage to change what I can't accept...
Vitus von Atzinger
Archive Member

Add a rondel and it's PERFECT.
"I am trying to be a great burden to my squires. The inner changes we look for will not take place except under the weight of great burdens."
-Me
Uneg
Archive Member

Post by Uneg »

I love this forum.

Beautiful work.
The Archiver Formerly Known As tlast

Taban Unegen
Squire to Sir Aelfred of Cres
Member of Haus Wulfshaven
Grimbah
Archive Member

Post by Grimbah »

I don't like it! :x How would all us lame rattan with tape dudes feel coming out to the field and we spot that!? Do you really want to hurt our feelings! Downgrade for the greater good!!! :x
Grimbah se Hornung Brooor
Lucian Ro
Archive Member

Post by Lucian Ro »

Hell of a nice job!
Lord Lucian Ro
MKA
Scotty Riopel

Per pale argent and purpure, a dragonfly counterchanged and on a chief sable a dagger reversed argent.

When there is no peril in the fight, there is no glory in the triumph. -Pierre Corneille
Uadahlrich
Archive Member

Post by Uadahlrich »

Beautiful!
benz72
Archive Member

Post by benz72 »

Grimbah wrote:How would all us lame rattan with tape dudes feel coming out to the field and we spot that!?
Inspired to make better looking weapns and armor to more appropriately portray the martial aspect of the period?
Rodney
Archive Member

Post by Rodney »

Thank you for the compliments everyone. I'm not all that creative, but I can follow instructions very well. The end product is really a credit to those mentioned in my OP. It was such a fun project that I started a 7.5' polearm yesterday!
Vitus von Atzinger wrote:Add a rondel and it's PERFECT.
What materials and method of attachment would you recommend? Has anyone on this forum had success with SCA legal rondels of your polearms?
-Rodney

InsaneIrish
SQUEEE!

Post by InsaneIrish »

Scott H. wrote: What materials and method of attachment would you recommend? Has anyone on this forum had success with SCA legal rondels of your polearms?

Make one out of a disk of thick leather. That way if in the unforseen circumstance that you haft someone, you won't be hitting them with something so rigid it will hurt.

If you don't have leather thick enough, double it up and sew or rivet it together, then attach. To attach it I would just put a few rounds of twisted tape just below the rondel, and just above it to keep it in the right spot.
Insane Irish

Quote: "Nissan Maxima"
(on Pennsic) I know that movie. It is the 13th warrior. A bunch of guys in armour that doesn't match itself or anybody elses, go on a trip and argue and get drunk and get laid and then fight Tuchux.
Vitus von Atzinger
Archive Member

It needs a bit more tape. Put horizontal pieces that run from the end of the hammer to the end of the blade, going across the section where the heads meet the haft. Make sure you put enough tape underneath the axe head, too. I'll post a pic of the spot in a sec.
-Me
muttman
Archive Member

Post by muttman »

That is really nice! Great work!
Drefan
"this calls for a special blend of psychology and extreme violence" V. Basterd

Dogs of War Brute Squad
SCA- Sir Ruslan Voronov
Former Squire to Sir Óláfr Fasthaldi
House Anephedros
Maugrim of House Hamilton
Sword Of Cadair Idris EMP
aidanhroarsson
Archive Member

Post by aidanhroarsson »

Not to hijack this thread, but I also like to say that I appreciate this forum and would like to send my thanks to Sir Vitus for the sharing of his knowledge. I am undertaking the building of a bearded axe and depending on the outcome, possibly another! :mrgreen:
HL Auðun Hroarsson
At Wulfe Armory

The Truth shall set you free, but first it will piss you off!