Tsubas: Cost vs Quality

For those of us who wish to talk about the many styles and facets of recreating Medieval armed combat.
Thomas MacFinn
Archive Member

Tsubas: Cost vs Quality

Post by Thomas MacFinn »

As most of you know, I have a brisk business selling carved rattan wasters. I have never been satisfied with the crossguards on the market because most of them are designed to fit a 1.25" round rattan rod, often using a pipe that extends part way up the blade.

I've been trying to design crossguards built specifically for a carved sword. The crossguard should allow the blade to snuggle up against the arms of the crossguard and should have a 'not-round' hole to prevent the crossguard from twisting on the blade.

My first attempt was a simple stainless steel disk, designed to fit down the blade of a carved gladius. I consider it a success.

My second crossguard is a tsuba. My first prototypes were laser cut from mild steel.

The tsuba on the left was relatively inexpensive but weighed 12.2 oz; heavy for a katana. The tsuba on the right has holes burned in it. I can redo both tsubas, using a more expensive but much better technique, out of aluminum for $38 and $110 respectively (for just the tsuba). Add ~$45 for the carved rattan. Should I bother?

Have I surpassed the amount that people will pay?
Last edited by Thomas MacFinn on Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:08 pm, edited 4 times in total.
I never stay in one place for three of my opponent's blows. I also never let my opponent throw three unanswered blows. Standing in front of your opponent lets him perfect his pell technique. Most fighters are very good against a pell. - Duke Gyrth
Maeryk
Archive Member

Re: Cost vs Quality

Post by Maeryk »

I've seen Katzbalger S guards go for more than that, but they are twisted and BIG.. I'm not sure a Tsuba that _small_ is going to get a lot of interest.. but I could be wrong! Because our blades don't "catch" on a tsuba like they would on a real one, we tend to outsize crap to protect our fingers.

Good luck to you!
Nissan Maxima
Thor's Taint

Post by Nissan Maxima »

Where do I send my check for two of the fancy tsubas?
I am the SCA's middle finger.
www.clovenshield.org
Thomas MacFinn
Archive Member

Post by Thomas MacFinn »

Nissan Maxima wrote:Where do I send my check for two of the fancy tsubas?
Dan Mackison
640 Lynn St
Louisville, KY 40217

Or you can paypal dan.mackison@pobox.com
I never stay in one place for three of my opponent's blows. I also never let my opponent throw three unanswered blows. Standing in front of your opponent lets him perfect his pell technique. Most fighters are very good against a pell. - Duke Gyrth
Aaron
Archive Member

Post by Aaron »

I've paid more (I won't give the exact price) for my pollaxes. And the price has been worth it every time.

-Aaron
Nissan Maxima
Thor's Taint

Post by Nissan Maxima »

Thomas MacFinn wrote:
Nissan Maxima wrote:Where do I send my check for two of the fancy tsubas?
Dan Mackison
640 Lynn St
Louisville, KY 40217

Or you can paypal dan.mackison@pobox.com
How much should I add to ship to 60101?
www.clovenshield.org
Thomas MacFinn
Archive Member

Post by Thomas MacFinn »

Nissan Maxima wrote: How much should I add to ship to 60101?
$5.20

They will fit in a small flat rate box.
Thomas MacFinn
Archive Member

Post by Thomas MacFinn »

Thomas MacFinn wrote:
Nissan Maxima wrote: How much should I add to ship to 60101?
$5.20

They will fit in a small flat rate box.
Make that $5.00 even. The post office has a discount for ordering online.
Nissan Maxima
Thor's Taint

Post by Nissan Maxima »

Done
www.clovenshield.org
Tomburr
Archive Member

Post by Tomburr »

Nissan,

will you show us how your blades look when you get the chance to mount those?

Thomas,

those are waaaay cool, and there is a serious dearth of good Japanese hardware fittings for SCA. I think the idea of a non-circular opening is far superior. But I think the price alone will prevent these from being a regular seller. I would have a small batch on hand for the occasional dedicated Japanese SCAer and merchant booths at wars, but I'd see about selling them all before investing in any more. You'd get occasional sales, but probably never more than that.

Keep up the good ideas, though. You really could develop some hardware that will make everyone instinctively reach for their wallet when they see it.
Thomas de Bristol
Nissan Maxima wrote:God grant me the courage to change what I can't accept...
Thomas MacFinn
Archive Member

Post by Thomas MacFinn »

Nissan Maxima wrote:Done
Thank you Nissan. Your answer did more to convince me to keep at this than a dozen 'good job' messages.
Oscad
Archive Member

Post by Oscad »

Money tends to have that effect...
Thomas MacFinn
Archive Member

Post by Thomas MacFinn »

Maeryk wrote:I've seen Katzbalger S guards go for more than that, but they are twisted and BIG.. I'm not sure a Tsuba that _small_ is going to get a lot of interest.. but I could be wrong! Because our blades don't "catch" on a tsuba like they would on a real one, we tend to outsize crap to protect our fingers.
How about this? It is 4.25" diameter.

BTW, the hole is oriented correctly. The narrow part of the handle fits in your palm or between your thumb and palm.

You can, of course, stair step it if you want a smaller handle.
Last edited by Thomas MacFinn on Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Maeryk
Archive Member

Post by Maeryk »

THat's gorgeous.
Sean Powell
Archive Member

Post by Sean Powell »

Now you need to cut a pair with the House Clovenshield symbol in the tsuba and get Nissan to come back for another round. :)

I've switched almost exclusivly to the Windrose Schivona IIb hilts. They are pricy but hold up well enough (I haven't dented one yet but did break a tang after 5? years) and they look damn sweet. Anything anyone does to make the SCA look better is great in my book. I hope you get lots of buyers.

Sean
Thomas MacFinn
Archive Member

Post by Thomas MacFinn »

Sean Powell wrote:Now you need to cut a pair with the House Clovenshield symbol in the tsuba and get Nissan to come back for another round. :)
I thought about it. If you look at the initial tsuba doodles at the Foxknife page on Flickr, you will see something similar. I even sent Nissan an email back then asking if he had a personal mon (but didn't tell him why I wanted to know).

The biggest hurdle has been converting scale drawings to dxf files for the cutter; a hurdle we recently overcame in a big way. Once I make sure we can make it to production without any more obstacles, we should now be able to cut 4.25" wheels, 3.25" cranes and almost any other design for those willing to pay for them.

Once these are complete, my next task will be developing something mid-level price-wise.
Thomas MacFinn
Archive Member

Post by Thomas MacFinn »

I'd love to see somebody take the stuff I can do and hand carve them further into something like this:

Broadway
Moderator on Sabbatical

Post by Broadway »

Try talking to Sir Marc d'Aubigny of Atlantia (Mark Green)

Only contact info that I have is his facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=1175390584
dulce periculum
Konstantin the Red
Archive Member

Post by Konstantin the Red »

Very JAL-looking heron there.
Thomas MacFinn
Archive Member

Post by Thomas MacFinn »

It is not an original idea. Japan Airlines and I may have been borrowing from the same source.
Glaukos the Athenian
Archive Member

Post by Glaukos the Athenian »

How about a Tsuba in the manner of Miyamoto Musashi ...?
Glaukos the Athenian
Squire to Sir Guy Lestrange

Benedictus dominus Deus meus, qui docet manus meas ad proelium, et digitos meos ad bellum.
Thomas MacFinn
Archive Member

Post by Thomas MacFinn »

Are you saying "I think this would be a good design to keep costs down (for somebody else to buy)" or "I want one of these" ?
Glaukos the Athenian
Archive Member

Thomas MacFinn wrote:Are you saying "I think this would be a good design to keep costs down (for somebody else to buy)" or "I want one of these" ?
Both! if it is not expensive. The design is a classic, and if you can find out costs, I can try to do a twofer with a katana waster.
No rush. When you can.
Glaukos the Athenian

Benedictus dominus Deus meus, qui docet manus meas ad proelium, et digitos meos ad bellum.
Vilhelm550
Archive Member

Post by Vilhelm550 »

Any plans for anything larger than 4.25, say 5.25? the leather tsuba on my nodachi-style greatsword may need replacing soon...
Vilhelm Gunnarsson
Shire of Shattered Oak
Kingdom of Northshield

Appareo Decet Nihil Munditia?
Godric of Castlemont
Archive Member

Post by Godric of Castlemont »

Wow that is pretty!

From a business model perspective $110 seems like an awful lot of money for a guard. But seeing as people are rushing you checks maybe you can make it work, far be it for me to question the public demand. I wonder if you could get a machine shop to do a lot production of a few hundred/thousand for a reasonable amount?
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)
Thomas MacFinn
Archive Member

Post by Thomas MacFinn »

Vilhelm550 wrote:Any plans for anything larger than 4.25, say 5.25? the leather tsuba on my nodachi-style greatsword may need replacing soon...
Anything I have done can be scaled up.
Thomas MacFinn
Archive Member

Post by Thomas MacFinn »

Godric of Castlemont wrote:I wonder if you could get a machine shop to do a lot production of a few hundred/thousand for a reasonable amount?
I'm certain I can, however do you want thousands of tsubas? I don't.

Last April, I had an idea for mass producing Pompeii gladii and selling them in batches of six for a whopping 25% discount (that offer is still up on foxknife.com). At that time, I ordered 25 stainless steel guards specifically for these swords. I still have 22 of them. Which is not to say business has been bad; the turned handles originally earmarked for gladii are very popular on other things like maces. I'll stick with making the tsubas one or two at a time.
Thomas MacFinn
Archive Member

Post by Thomas MacFinn »

Aluminum Basic Tsuba
3" diameter, 4.4 oz, 1/2" thick: $38.00 (a HUGE improvement weight-wise over the 12.2 oz mild steel)

First prototypes of black plastic tsubas
Basic (left): 3" diameter, 1" thick, 3.6 oz
Wheel (right): 3.25" diameter, 1" thick, 2.3 oz

I'm thinking future versions will be 1/2" thick but the same price (1" thick was what was lying around). Basic $38, Wheel $60. Weight, of course, will be halved.
Until the plastic is time-tested, I will not be offering plastic in larger diameters.

Aluminum Wheel (Chrysanthemum) tsuba
3.25" diameter, 2.7 oz, 1/2" thick: $110.00
Thomas MacFinn
Archive Member

Post by Thomas MacFinn »

Glaukos the Athenian wrote:How about a Tsuba in the manner of Miyamoto Musashi ...?
I should have a quote for you soon.

Andrew Sterner
Archive Member

Post by Andrew Sterner »

60 bucks is very doable for any budget. For people of Japanese persuasion, who give a damn about their appearance, 110 is manageable. I'm still a few years from worrying about my Japanese kit.

And yeah, there's no reasonable option other than doing a handful at a time, letting them sell, then make another handful. I hope these bastards sell, I need them to be around for a bit.
Serious sport has nothing to do with fair play. It is bound up with
hatred, jealousy, boastfulness, disregard of all rules and sadistic
pleasure in witnessing violence: in other words it is war minus the shooting.

-George Orwell
Glaukos the Athenian
Archive Member

Thomas MacFinn wrote:
Glaukos the Athenian wrote:How about a Tsuba in the manner of Miyamoto Musashi ...?

Wow. Even in laser cut steel that should not be heavy. Looking good.
Glaukos the Athenian

Thomas MacFinn
Archive Member

Post by Thomas MacFinn »

Glaukos the Athenian wrote:
Thomas MacFinn wrote:
Wow. Even in laser cut steel that should not be heavy. Looking good.
$20 for a "squared off" mild steel version of that design (the original looks rounded).
Attachments
3-D Musashi.jpg
3-D Musashi.jpg (59.82 KiB) Viewed 866 times
Thomas MacFinn
Archive Member

Post by Thomas MacFinn »

$10, $20, $38, $60, $110, crane (which am still getting quotes on) ... I think that should cover any budget. :)
Vilhelm550
Archive Member

Post by Vilhelm550 »

What would be the thickness of the $20 squared off mild steel Musashi tsuba? Price for a 5.5 inch version?
One could go over it with files and sandpaper, polish it up or paint it and have one spiffy sword!
Vilhelm Gunnarsson
Shire of Shattered Oak
Kingdom of Northshield

Appareo Decet Nihil Munditia?
Thomas MacFinn
Archive Member

Post by Thomas MacFinn »

All of the designs are 1/2" thick. I'm a bit concerned that a 5.5" tsuba would be long enough to make it inside a helmet.

Please remember that I am a woodcarver who just wanted something nice for the swords I sell. I'm going to slow down on the price quotes until I get more orders for the seven alternatives I already have.