How to make a rattan gladius

For those of us who wish to talk about the many styles and facets of recreating Medieval armed combat.
Thomas MacFinn
Archive Member

How to make a rattan gladius

Post by Thomas MacFinn »

This article will show the steps I use to create a rattan gladius. I will be adding to this article slowly, so your patience will be appreciated. These instructions should be easily translated to other types of rattan wasters.

You will need a strait edge and measuring tool, a marshal's gauge, a piece of rattan at least two inches in diameter (2.25" - 2.5" even better), something to hold the wood, something to cut the wood, and safety equipment appropriate to your tools (for example, appropriate guards for a table saw, a respirator if you plan on using a belt sander as your cutting tool, etc). You do not need a complex set of tools: my first several rattan wasters were made by c-clamping the wood to a door frame (picture from 2010) and my favorite cutting tool for rough shaping remains a drawknife even after I gained access to more tools. The only required tool not readily found in most shops is the marshal gauge.

I recommend a gauge with a 1" wide x 1/2" deep slot in the side like the one pictured.
I never stay in one place for three of my opponent's blows. I also never let my opponent throw three unanswered blows. Standing in front of your opponent lets him perfect his pell technique. Most fighters are very good against a pell. - Duke Gyrth
Thomas MacFinn
Archive Member

Re: How to make a rattan gladius

Post by Thomas MacFinn »

A few notes on rattan:
Rattan is a tropical vine that grows in sandy soil. As such, it is flexible and highly fibrous with a grain more like celery than any American-grown lumber. It is highly flexible with the least flexible portion of the plant in the skin. Due to the sandy soil it grows in, rattan often contains small particles of silicate within the wood. Any tools used to cut or shape rattan will require more sharpening than usual and can ruin tools if care is not taken.

Because rattan does not grow perfectly strait, all measurements and markings will be based off center lines instead of measuring from an edge. Anyone using power tools is advised to avoid using a measuring fence on the first few cuts. When cutting skin-on rattan with a fence: the fence will cause the blade to follow the imperfections and curves on the surface of the wood. This has led to the myth that cut rattan warps - it does, but not more than uncut rattan or any other type of wood.

--

Start with a strait piece of rattan at least two inches in diameter. This will be heavy and very stiff but shaping will reduce both of those qualities. Mark the center on both ends and two perpendicular lines (+). Draw a centerline.

If you are turning rattan on a lathe, it is advised you do your lathe work first because the rattan is stiffest with most of the skin still on. It should be possible to turn an 8" handle on a 32" piece of rattan without difficulty. Due to its flexibility, it is not recommended that you attempt to turn rattan longer than 36". Set the lathe to rotate at a slow speed. Because most lathes are air-cooled and cool better at higher speeds, take frequent breaks to keep the lathe from overheating. Because of the silicate in the rattan, blades will heat up and can lose temper. Also heated rattan shavings will produce glowing embers that will set your shaving bin on fire if not monitored.

Once the lathe work is done, mark a point 3/4" over from your centerline at the base of the blade and 11/16" from the centerline at the tip. Cut your flats. Do not let the wood rotate while cutting. Your blade should have a flat distal taper and be 1.5" wide at the base and 1 3/8" wide at the tip. Using the + on the end on the rattan as a guide, mark a new centerline on the flats.

For a 2" wide strait blade, mark a point 1" over from your new centerline and cut the sides. If you want a linear taper or a leaf-blade, mark that instead.

Down the center of the edge of the blade mark two parallel lines 3/4" apart.

Using a drawknife, plane, spokeshave or other shaping tool, remove the rattan between the edge lines and the centerline on the flat.

Check your cuts with a marshal's gauge. If the rattan is too thin, throw it out and start over. The pictured rattan below fails.

Use a compass, lid or other 1.25" diameter round object to mark a circle centered on the tip of the sword. Mark a point 2-3" back from the tip and shave the tip down to the circle you drew.

Using a spokeshave and/or 60 grit sandpaper to smooth out any high points, slide the guard down the blade. Sliding the guard down the blade allows you to shape the wooden portion of the hilt so that the guard will never slide down onto your hand.

Check your cuts with a marshal's gauge. If the rattan passed your first test but is now too thin, it may be thick enough to build back up with tape. If not, throw it out and start over.

Remove all sharp corners near the edge of the blade. Insufficiently rounded corners hurt your friends. At a minimum, it should not be possible to touch the bottom of a 1" wide x 1/2" deep slot with any portion of the waster.

Drill a hole in the handle and glue in a 1/2" x 2" carriage bolt for balance. .

Stain the handle, add a thrusting tip and tape the blade with strapping tape and duct tape.
To protect the edge from cuts, you can add a strip of leather or siloflex between the strapping tape and outer tape layers as neither material reduces the flexibility of the rattan. Do not use metal tape, but mylar "chrome" duct tape is acceptable for the outermost layer.

Check your waster with a marshal's gauge one last time. If the rattan passed your first test but is now too thin, it may be thick enough to build back up with more tape. If not, throw it out and start over. A gladius shaped like this will be closer in weight to a 1.25" diameter skin-on baton than the log you started with, but will much be stiffer than the 1.25" baton. Adjust force levels appropiately.
I never stay in one place for three of my opponent's blows. I also never let my opponent throw three unanswered blows. Standing in front of your opponent lets him perfect his pell technique. Most fighters are very good against a pell. - Duke Gyrth
Vitus von Atzinger
Archive Member

Post by Vitus von Atzinger »

I have a few rattan sticks that Erik gave me to give to you.
"I am trying to be a great burden to my squires. The inner changes we look for will not take place except under the weight of great burdens."
-Me
Thomas MacFinn
Archive Member

Post by Thomas MacFinn »

Does silence = meh or does it just mean that everybody is still recovering from Saturday?
Mikael_Lowensen

Post by Mikael_Lowensen »

I think this is a fantastic tutorial.
"Be Excellent to each other" ~Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Thomas MacFinn
Archive Member

Post by Thomas MacFinn »

The idea was not only to show people how to make a gladius, but to allow them to look at a picture like the one below from viewtopic.php?f=2&t=100739 and realize that Nisson uses pretty much the same method for his 15th century sword.
Attachments
temp.JPG
temp.JPG (58.34 KiB) Viewed 1370 times
Thomas MacFinn
Archive Member

Post by Thomas MacFinn »

Here's another website I found - not as radical as what I do since he is starting with thinner wood, but the techniques are still there.

http://www.robertkarl.org/woodworkingbl ... sword.html
FenianArms
Archive Member

Post by FenianArms »

Thomas MacFinn wrote:Does silence = meh or does it just mean that everybody is still recovering from Saturday?
i dont think this is the case.
this has been very informative.
plus it gets people to understand that while its not exactly rocket science it not a walk in the park either.
thus the service you provide in making these gains that much more value in understanding.
well done.
Seonac
Archive Member

Post by Seonac »

After reading this over a few times, and recovering from the cleverly placed distraction photos, I think I might have enough of a grasp on the process to mess it up no less than 4 out of 5 times. But that one will be a gem, and will make it all worth it, if I can find the blade beneath all that rattan.

Thank you.

Edited to add: I am unable to locate a source for rattan of the proper thickness. While I have not yet exhausted all of my resources, any further assistance would of course be greatly appreciated.
Tegan wrote: If you want to make a bold stroke then go out and be so damned good at every aspect of being a Knight that the Order has no choice but to elevate you.
Felix wrote: Do not let sloth keep you from bringing nobilty to the field.
Thomas MacFinn
Archive Member

Post by Thomas MacFinn »

Seonac wrote:I am unable to locate a source for rattan of the proper thickness. While I have not yet exhausted all of my resources, any further assistance would of course be greatly appreciated.
Munitions Grade Arms - Baron Eirik here on the archive
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Munitions ... 7058298448

Eirik resells my wasters at events, but once commented that my stuff was worth more than the sale price as advertising for his rattan.
Alex Baird
Archive Member

Post by Alex Baird »

Seonac wrote: Edited to add: I am unable to locate a source for rattan of the proper thickness. While I have not yet exhausted all of my resources, any further assistance would of course be greatly appreciated.
Where are you located?

So Cal has a few sources.
No, really, I'm serious. Look at my face. :|
FenianArms
Archive Member

Post by FenianArms »

Alex Baird wrote:
Seonac wrote: Edited to add: I am unable to locate a source for rattan of the proper thickness. While I have not yet exhausted all of my resources, any further assistance would of course be greatly appreciated.
Where are you located?

such as?
Seonac
Archive Member

Post by Seonac »

Alex Baird wrote:
Where are you located?

I'm in Oregon, and officially not interested in anything from Frank's Supply. Open to suggestions concerning any other vendors.
Tegan wrote: If you want to make a bold stroke then go out and be so damned good at every aspect of being a Knight that the Order has no choice but to elevate you.
Felix wrote: Do not let sloth keep you from bringing nobilty to the field.
Alex Baird
Archive Member

Post by Alex Baird »

I usually get good stuff at Cane & Basket Supply, in L.A.

http://www.caneandbasket.com/
Thomas MacFinn
Archive Member

Post by Thomas MacFinn »

Alex Baird wrote:I usually get good stuff at Cane & Basket Supply, in L.A.

Like HH Perkins and many other places I've seen suggested, their web site tops out at 1 3/4". Can they get thicker? Eirik is the only person I know that can with any regularity.
eidelon
Archive Member

Post by eidelon »

i was able to get 2.25 from hh perkins about 6 months ago
Randwulf Griffin Inch MacBreanach

"The meek do inherit the earth, but they tend to inherit very small plots, about six feet by three." Heinlein
FenianArms
Archive Member

Post by FenianArms »

I've had some issues with h.h. Perkins recently.
I ordered 6 sticks of 1 1/4 shaved rattan and received all 1 1/2.
After weeks of arguing he finally placed the order with skin on 1 1/4 which costs less and is definitely inferior quality.
And I definitely dislike being told that even though I ordered one size the next size up was fine.
Alex Baird
Archive Member

Post by Alex Baird »

Thomas MacFinn wrote:
Alex Baird wrote:I usually get good stuff at Cane & Basket Supply, in L.A.

Like HH Perkins and many other places I've seen suggested, their web site tops out at 1 3/4". Can they get thicker? Eirik is the only person I know that can with any regularity.
Been a couple of years since I've been by there, but they used to have up to 3" in stock at the store. You might want to drop them a note, as they might not list it on their site. Or, maybe it just can't be gotten...
Gùnthaar
Archive Member

Post by Gùnthaar »

Thomas,
I had been inspired by your methods and have made a "shaved" sword and a Pole Axe with a formed haft. Both are rudimentary but I am set on making some more weapons when I can get some more material. My neighbor had a 2.5" "thug stick" and I am going to talk him into letting me make his sword. You may have created a Monster! Once I can figure out how to post pics I will show you what I have done.
Sjolander
Archive Member

Post by Sjolander »

Clearly your tiny baby-like hands have no effect on the quality of your work. Keep it up and thank you for the tutorial!
Ld. Brant Marcksson
Santa Rita, Guam
Thomas MacFinn
Archive Member

Post by Thomas MacFinn »

Sjolander, I believe you are talking about one of my assistants:

Ieuan

Post by Ieuan »

I know i got some 2 inch rattan from LA cane and basket last year. I had to call them, same thing with the Cane shop in Berkley Ca. Both at the time had SCA people working in them so they know what you want.
Thomas MacFinn
Archive Member

Post by Thomas MacFinn »

eidelon wrote:i was able to get 2.25 from hh perkins about 6 months ago
Don't use H.H Perkins: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=151082
Thomas MacFinn
Archive Member

Post by Thomas MacFinn »

Thomas MacFinn
Archive Member

Post by Thomas MacFinn »

For those interested, I was recently invited to a Facebook group called "Rattan Artists" (https://www.facebook.com/groups/516609828426618/). They have some pretty stuff.