Odd weapon in the Bayeux Tapestry

For those of us who wish to talk about the many styles and facets of recreating Medieval armed combat.
Alcyoneus
Archive Member

Odd weapon in the Bayeux Tapestry

Post by Alcyoneus »

The talk about the odd two handed weapon on another post reminded me of one in (actually 3) the Bayeux Tapestry. It has an open ring for the pommel, and seems to have a long shaft, and at the end what seems to be a type of axe head. If you look at the tapestry, it is at the section where they are building defences and starting to burn homes. www.hastings1066.com , panel 23-24.
What do you think?
Glen K
Archive Member

Post by Glen K »

Actually, I think what we're seeing is a stylized representation (like everying else on this 'tapestry') of shovels used in the building of the pre-fab castle William brought from Normandy with him. Great documentation for a period shovel with a grip at the end the shaft, eh? Image

[This message has been edited by Glen K (edited 02-01-2001).]

Post by Guest »

Yep, wooden shovels, frequently with a steel or iron edge. This pattern actually persisted at least as late as the American Revolution (saw one of the metal shoes excavated at Ft. Stanwyx in New York). Also notice the person using the single-point pick on the mound. The usual method was for the pick to do most of the ground breaking and the shovels scooped and moved the dirt. A few summers with County Roads and the USMCR and working on the farm will quickly reveal the efficacy of this method.

As for the conflict shown, well... you just can't trust those unruly Saxons, you know.
Most tools make good weapons.

------------------
Full time civil servant, part time blacksmith, and seasonal Viking ship captain.

Visit your National Parks: <A HREF="http://www.nps.gov

Go" TARGET=_blank>www.nps.gov

Go</A> viking: <A HREF="http://www.wam.umd.edu/~eowyn/Longship/

Hit" TARGET=_blank>www.wam.umd.edu/~eowyn/Longship/

Hit</A> hot iron: www.anvilfire.com

[This message has been edited by Cap'n Atli (edited 02-01-2001).]
Abaddon
Archive Member

Post by Abaddon »

Typical construction workers too...
Banging away at each other's heads with shovels. It's good to see that the work ethic hasn't changed much since then.
I think I worked with these two guys once...
Hrut the Lame
Archive Member

Post by Hrut the Lame »

Dunno what it is, but I'm gonna print those babies out & hang 'em on the wall(s).
Alcyoneus
Archive Member

Post by Alcyoneus »

I thought that they might be shovels at first, but then I thought that they made sure they had only one side for a reason. An odd axe/shovel combo tool that you could sort of dig with, but chop your buddy with too? With a regular shovel, I'm going to hit you with the flat, or the point.
Brodir
Archive Member

Post by Brodir »

Post by Guest »

Actually what I take as shovel representations are on panel 24 to the left. They can be seen holding little round bits of dirt and rock. Now, to my way of thinking, why would shovels not be depicted in a uniform manner? In panel 23, two fellows seem to be bludgeoning one another with this same item. I do believe it to be the item fetured in the link to regia.org, whatever the hell that thing is Image.

[This message has been edited by The Warrior's Mark (edited 02-12-2001).]
Forj
Archive Member

Post by Forj »

Actually, if you look at one of the "shovels" on panel 24, it looks very similar to the two being used as weapons on panel 23...and if you envision a curved shovel, then turn it on its side, then they are indeed hitting each other with the flats...you're seeing the shovels from the side...
bran vo lough derg
Archive Member

Post by bran vo lough derg »

hmmmm lets see , the two guys with bad haircuts near the end of panel 23;
according to my lady it looks like two bards dueling with thier lutes(sp),
or.. they are combing eachouthers hair with long handled horse brushes.
I think that they are reshaping thier skulls so that thier pointy helms will fit better.
Ned Chaney
Archive Member

Post by Ned Chaney »

shovels!! definatley shovels! that was my first thought before I read any of the other posts. BTW....VERY cool site!! IT's the first time I've ever seen the whole tapestry. Thanks for posting it!!

------------------
They call me Ned
Harold the Bear
Archive Member

Post by Harold the Bear »

I'm gonna make a Boffer weapon like a shovel and use it and i can say it was period :^)

------------------
Have Zwei will Travel
HtB