Anglo Saxon / Viking pottery - odds and ends sale

For trading/Selling/and posting items that you need very badly.
Alric of Drentha
Archive Member

Anglo Saxon / Viking pottery - odds and ends sale

Post by Alric of Drentha »

I'm moving out of my parents' house to start grad school in a few weeks, and I have more pottery than I can take with me. Rather than leave it to gather dust in my parents' basement, I'd like to pass it on to someone else.

Below are photographs and descriptions of everything I would like to sell. There are some cups, bowls, pitchers, two lamps, and a serving platte. Everything is made from white stoneware and is microwave and dishwasher safe. Every piece is glazed on the inside with a modern foodsafe glaze to make them easier to wash. Some pieces are brand new, most are gently used, and a few have chips on the rims (which I have noted in their descriptions and prices).

All pieces are made by me, and all can be dated with more or less specificity to the 10th or 11th centuries in the Danelaw (though they should all be appropriate for anywhere in England during the Late Saxon period).

CUPS

Cups 1-7 are based on sketches of 10th century Stamford Ware from J Young, A Corpus Of Anglo-Saxon And Medieval Pottery From Lincoln. They are glazed with a clear glaze and fired in an anagama wood kiln to cone 10. All the color on these cups is from the ashes in the wood kiln.

I love these cups for mead, wine, or a high ABV beer (St. Bernardus, mmm....). They're the perfect size to fit into my hand.

Height: about 3.25"
Capacity: appr. 8oz

Cup 1 - $15.

Cup 2 - $15.

Cup 3 - $15.

Cup 4 - $10. This cup is a little smaller than the others, and has some funny looking bubbles in the glaze on the inside.

Cup 5 - $15.

Cup 6 - $10. A drip of glaze from another pot fell onto this cup while it was being fired, and when I ground it off a small piece of the glaze on the outside of the cup chipped off. You can see the blemish near the bottom of the cup in this picture.

Cup 7 - $5. This cup was dropped while a friend a mine was washing it, and the rim was chipped. Otherwise, it's a lovely cup. Really low price because of the chip.

Cups 8-9 aren't based on a specific source, but are shapes similar to those of other cups from the Anglo-Saxon period. They are glazed with a modern glaze and fired in an electric kiln. Their generic nature is reflected in their prices.

Cup 8 - $10.

Cup 9 - $10.

BOWLS

These bowls are based on sketches of 10/11th century Stamford Ware from J Young, A Corpus Of Anglo-Saxon And Medieval Pottery From Lincoln. Like the cups above, they are glazed with a clear glaze and fired in a wood kiln. All the color and texture on the bowls' surfaces are from melted ash in the kiln.

The bowls are about 6" wide.

Bowl 1 - $8. This bowl was chipped before it was fired. You can see the small chip in the rim on the left in the photograph. The price is reduced accordingly.

Bowl 2 - $12.

Bowl 3 - $12.

Bowl 4 - $10. This bowl is boring, thus the lower price :P

Bowl 5 - $12.

Bowl 6 - $12.

PITCHERS

Pitcher 1 - $60.

Height: 6"
Capacity: 52 oz / 1.5 L

This pitcher is based off of several 10/11th c. Stamford Ware pitchers in J Young, Corpus. The pitcher is glazed with a clear glaze and fired in a wood kiln. I tied a handle of braided hemp onto it when I was carrying it around at an event a few months ago.

A piece of the applied decoration has chipped off of the back of the pitcher (you can see it near the bottom of the photo below). I have the piece and can glue it back on, or leave it as is. Aside of this, the pitcher is in perfect condition.

Pitcher 2 - $65.

This pitcher is based off of several pitchers in J Young, Corpus, dating to the Late Saxon period (10/11th c). It is glazed with a clear glaze and fired in a wood kiln.

Height: 6.25"
Capacity: 64oz / 1.9L when filled to the brim

Pitcher 3 - $25.

This pitcher has no handle, and is very generic. It is glazed with a modern glaze that looks rather similar to the colors produced in a wood kiln, but it was fired in an electric kiln.

Pitcher 4 - $30.

Height: 6"
Capacity: 40oz / 1.2 L

This pitcher was glazed on the outside with wood ashes, and on the inside with a clear glaze. It's based off of several pitchers in J Young, Corpus, dating to the Late Saxon period (10/11th c). It was fired in a gas kiln.

Unfortunately, I chipped this pitcher when I was bringing it home from the studio (intense frustration!). Thus the low price.

SERVING DISH

Height: 2"
Width: 12"

$35.

Again based loosely on a dish from Young (notice a pattern in my research?), this is a serving dish (or very large plate!) glazed on the inside with a modern glaze and on the outside with wood ash, and fired in a gas kiln.

LAMPS

These lamps are based off of some sketches in Young and the Stamford Ware lamps in this picture: http://www.le.ac.uk/ulas/images/medstamfordwares.jpg

They're meant to be used with a floating wick. I've done this several different ways, punching a hole in a cork and threading cotton string through and, most recently, simply laying cotton string against the side of the bowl and lighting it once it was soaked with oil.

For oil, I've used vegetable oil (olive burns very clean) or, my favorite, lard. The nice thing about lard is that it turns solid once the lamp cools, making it really easy to transport to and from events. Lard also burns really clean. Vegetable oils and animal fats only burn once they've been heated up, so the oil in the bowl doesn't catch fire when the wick is lit; only the oil in the wick next to the flame is hot enough to catch fire. I would not use commercial 'lamp oil' in these lamps, because it is much more flammable than vegetable / animal oils and the entire bowl might catch fire.

Lamp 1 - $13. This lamp has a small chip in the base, visible on the right in this photo.

Lamp 2 - $15.

Both lamps have some soot in them from the last time I used them. I can scrub the soot out with some steel wool if you would like before I ship them.

And that's everything!

Shipping and handling (CONUS):

Cups, bowls, and lamps ship for $7 each. I might be able to work out a combined rate if you purchase multiple cups / bowls.

Pitchers and the platter ship for $10 each.

I like Paypal, and you can contact me here via PM or through email at alric at drentha dot com.

Alric / Andrew
-Alric
AesaTheFarmer

Post by AesaTheFarmer »

Im interested in a couple of the cups and one of the lamps, if they're still available.
Saxonreb
Archive Member

Post by Saxonreb »

I will take cup #3 and pitcher #1.

I have a PayPal account if that works best.

Saxonreb
Saxonreb
Archive Member

Post by Saxonreb »

Correction!

I meant to say, I'll take cup #4 (the red looking one) and pitcher #1.

Saxonreb
Eyvandr
Archive Member

Post by Eyvandr »

PM Sent
- Sir Eyvindr (Eyvandr) Gunnarsson

Viscount, West Kingdom
Shield Wall Thug, Breaker of Axes
Cory Nielsen
Archive Member

Post by Cory Nielsen »

PM sent!
Alric of Drentha
Archive Member

Everything is currently spoken for - I'm on the road right now (currently stopped for gas), so I won't be able to reply to everyone's PMs to work out details until I get home Monday morning.

Thanks!
-Alric
SyrTheo
Archive Member

Post by SyrTheo »

Alric of Drentha wrote:Everything is currently spoken for - I'm on the road right now (currently stopped for gas), so I won't be able to reply to everyone's PMs to work out details until I get home Monday morning.

Thanks!
Well done, this is a testement to the excellence of your work Alric. All your work is sweet. I will have to move more quickly next time. :0) The lamps are sweet and the pitchers are AWESOME, especially that first one!

Thanks for your excellence in this craft!
Best Regards,
Eorl Syr EikBrandr
Eyvandr
Archive Member

Post by Eyvandr »

My pottery arrived today. The packing job was amazing. I understand why the cost on the packing is so high, because the post office could have dropped the boxes off the back of there truck and backed over them and they would have survived.

Alric work is top notch. I was really sad to hear that while he is off at school he won't be able to make any more pieces because his work is fantastic.

I am happy to own the pieces I do, and highly recommend him and his work.
- Sir Eyvindr (Eyvandr) Gunnarsson

Viscount, West Kingdom
Shield Wall Thug, Breaker of Axes
Cory Nielsen
Archive Member

Post by Cory Nielsen »

I ordered two of Alric's pieces as well, and they arrived Monday.

I can add a hearty "ditto" to Eyvandr's review. Top-notch communication, quick shipment with great attention to packaging, and the pottery is beautiful.
Andrew Turnbull
Archive Member

Post by Andrew Turnbull »

Interested in cups 8 and 9 if available.
Audaci Favit Fortuna
Alric of Drentha
Archive Member

I'm sorry Andrew, but everything is sold now. Thank you for your interest.
-Alric