My Charles de Blois pattern is available for sale again!

For trading/Selling/and posting items that you need very badly.
Tailoress
+1

My Charles de Blois pattern is available for sale again!

Post by Tailoress »

The Pourpoint of Charles de Blois: An adapted sewing pattern for chest sizes 37-50

Lately I’ve been getting daily queries about the availability of my Charles de Blois pourpoint pattern.

At long last, it is available again for purchase, just in time for the summer re-creation season. You can buy it on lulu.com, with credit/debit card or Paypal, and it will ship internationally.

The new format is spiral-bound, and it requires some manual assembly before the pattern can be cut out. You will need scissors and wide, clear tape. Instructions for taping the pages together are provided. Chest sizes 37-50 are included. $35.00, plus whatever shipping choice you make on Lulu.com.

Some background on the pattern:

I issued a limited print-run of this pattern in spring 2009. It sold out in a few months, but the effort involved with fulfilling orders myself was a bit onerous, so I did not reprint to continue selling it at that time. I had two size sets: chest sizes 37-44, and 46-50. I’ve put both of them in a single book. The original price remains the same.
In case you weren’t around for the first release, here is a brief list of what you get:

- An historically-documentable pattern that has been tested and confirmed to fit for the chest sizes given
- Detailed lists of suggested materials
- Cutting layouts for fabric with and without a nap
- Step-by-step instructions with over 95 illustrations guiding you through every process
- Options for contemporary or historical construction methods
- Bonus materials that teach you how to hand-sew eyelets, buttonholes, and points
- Suggested reading

Thanks!
Keegan Ingrassia
Archive Member

Re: My Charles de Blois pattern is available for sale again!

Post by Keegan Ingrassia »

Ooooo! :D Marking this for later...definitely going to be needing one of these!
"There is a tremendous amount of information in a picture, but getting at it is not a purely passive process. You have to work at it, but the more you work at it the easier it becomes." - Mac
Cellach_macChormach
Archive Member

Post by Cellach_macChormach »

I've recently been working on an arming coat using Tasha's pattern. It has been one of the nicest patterns I've ever used. Her instructions are easy to follow and the pattern fits together well.
Baron Alcyoneus
Archive Member

Post by Baron Alcyoneus »

So easy to read, even I could do it!
Vypadni z mého trávník!

Does loyalty trump truth?

"If they hurt you, hurt them back. If they kill you, walk it off."- Captain America
Rana
Archive Member

Post by Rana »

Keegan Ingrassia wrote:Ooooo! :D Marking this for later...definitely going to be needing one of these!
There's no way I'd wait for this. I count myself fortunate to be able to get in on this second opportunity, who knows if there will be more?
"Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra and then suddenly it flips over, pinning you underneath.
At night, the ice weasels come." -

Matt Groening
Tailoress
+1

Post by Tailoress »

Cellach_macChormach wrote:I've recently been working on an arming coat using Tasha's pattern. It has been one of the nicest patterns I've ever used. Her instructions are easy to follow and the pattern fits together well.
Thank you, Cellach, for the nice review. :) Hopefully we'll get to see pictures of it soon.
Sigurd Fjalarson
Archive Member

Post by Sigurd Fjalarson »

So uh, how difficult is this? I'm pretty bad at sewing, but want to try to make one of these...
Sigurd Fjalarson,Heinrich von Faulkner
-But you can call me Randy

"Praise no day 'til evening; No wife 'til on her pyre; No sword 'til tested; No maid 'til bedded; No ice 'til crossed; No ale 'til drunk." ~ Havamal
Horace
Archive Member

Post by Horace »

Thanks for putting this together!
Barron Horace Eastborn of House Serpentius,MoA

Fortitudine Vincimus - By endurance We Conquer
Tailoress
+1

Post by Tailoress »

Sieghart,

This is not a never-sewn-anything-before level of project, but a beginner who's had at least a little experience *can* put one of these together with my instructions. I walk you through every step, with a picture (or two) for each step.

If you obey the 1/2" seam allowance, every piece will fit with the next piece spot-on. There will not be any head-scratching. :)

All I ask (and I ask it on the first page of the pattern book) is that you read everything through at least once. It does make a difference on your level of understanding and confidence, IMO, and impatience will be your enemy on this project. That said, I do have a friend who's made two of these (or three?) from this pattern so far and she claims she can whip the lining and the shell together in 3 hours flat. I think she's the sewing Terminator, though. :lol:

Oh, and I also insist that you make a practice version with cheap fabric first. Some people fit the out-of-the-box pattern perfectly. Others, not so much -- tweaks are needed.

Hope that helps,
Tasha
Gest
Archive Member

Post by Gest »

Hi Tasha,

I have a copy of the original patterns you offered, so I'm just chiming in to assure the first time reader what a good thing you have done to offer the pattern again via lulu.com. Your pattern is truly wonderful and the instructions are clear and easy to understand.

We often take it for granted that a thing will always be available, and that's the way I used to think too. But experience has taught me otherwise. I would just offer out to gentle readers, that, if you think you would ever be interested in a Charles de Blois pourpoint, maybe not today, but someday, then you might wish to consider striking today while the iron is hot.

Thank you, Tasha, for sharing your knowledge and skill.

-- Gest
Muriel
Archive Member

Post by Muriel »

I've made the CdB two times now, using Tasha's pattern. It is hands-down, the best pattern I have ever used (including mundane sewing).

Here are a couple of pics of the latest one I made (used in a Laurel elevation 2 weeks ago at the Ice Dragon event in Aethelmaerc). FYI - the base garment took 3 hours total (including the cutting out and sewing of the lining and fashion fabric ... eyelets or buttonholes would take MUCH longer!)
Attachments
Malcolm front.JPG
Malcolm front.JPG (48.22 KiB) Viewed 647 times
Malcolm_wo belt_34 back.JPG
Malcolm_wo belt_34 back.JPG (56.41 KiB) Viewed 647 times
Tailoress
+1

Post by Tailoress »

Muriel, Malcolm's doublet turned out beautiful!

I'm touched by the kind words here. When I sent out patterns before, I didn't know who was buying them, because people were using their real-life names for the business transaction. So it's nice to put real-life names with Archive names. (I already knew about Muriel; she's the sewing terminator I mentioned earlier... :lol:) Thank you!
Aryllyian

Post by Aryllyian »

In for one! This will be my first attempt. Wish me luck!
Lord Garin Le Chasseur
Kingdom of Atlantia
Sigurd Fjalarson
Archive Member

Post by Sigurd Fjalarson »

Thanks for the reply Tasha. Consider me sold!
Sigurd Fjalarson,Heinrich von Faulkner
-But you can call me Randy

"Praise no day 'til evening; No wife 'til on her pyre; No sword 'til tested; No maid 'til bedded; No ice 'til crossed; No ale 'til drunk." ~ Havamal
Tailoress
+1

Post by Tailoress »

:bump:

:)

1st-day buyers should be starting to get these in the mail any day now...