Rattan Wasters - Spatha, Maces and more

For trading/Selling/and posting items that you need very badly.
Thomas MacFinn
Archive Member

Rattan Wasters - Spatha, Maces and more

Post by Thomas MacFinn »

Edit: This item is sold (scroll down for more)

First prototype of the new type 17 waster. Due to a curve in the original wood, I had to cut six inches off the blade tip. This example is 54" overall length with a 36" blade. Future examples should be 60" overall and have a 42" blade.

*SOLD* Eirik bought it (and has also already resold it).
Last edited by Thomas MacFinn on Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:10 am, edited 9 times in total.
I never stay in one place for three of my opponent's blows. I also never let my opponent throw three unanswered blows. Standing in front of your opponent lets him perfect his pell technique. Most fighters are very good against a pell. - Duke Gyrth
AlvarGuerrero
Archive Member

Re: Rattan Waster

Post by AlvarGuerrero »

pm'd for price, sexy waster!
Thomas MacFinn
Archive Member

Post by Thomas MacFinn »

I ran this piece through the "design your own waster" section at foxknife.com and came up with a price of $85, but I believe I'm going to knock that down to $75 (plus shipping) because of a slight curve in the wood that I was unable to completely carve out.
I never stay in one place for three of my opponent's blows. I also never let my opponent throw three unanswered blows. Standing in front of your opponent lets him perfect his pell technique. Most fighters are very good against a pell. - Duke Gyrth
Baron Eirik
Archive Member

Post by Baron Eirik »

Sounds right
Master Eirik, MSCA
Munitions Grade Arms, Rattan & Thrusting Tips
Now on Facebook
Thomas MacFinn
Archive Member

Post by Thomas MacFinn »

The curve is small enough that you might not notice unless you were looking for it, but I know it is there, which is enough for the discount.
Thomas MacFinn
Archive Member

Post by Thomas MacFinn »

:bump:
Last edited by Thomas MacFinn on Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Thomas MacFinn
Archive Member

Post by Thomas MacFinn »

Since somebody asked:

At the base of the blade, the waster is a rounded rectangle 2" wide x 1 1/4" thick. At the tip, the shape is more oval and is 1 1/2" wide x 1 1/4" thick.
Thomas MacFinn
Archive Member

Post by Thomas MacFinn »

Since this is still sitting around my shop, I'm knocking the price down to $65 (an additional $10 off).

Edit: While I'm at it, I'm going to knock $10 off the price of all greatswords at http://foxknife.com from now until Oct 31st.
Last edited by Thomas MacFinn on Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thomas MacFinn
Archive Member

Post by Thomas MacFinn »

:bump:
Thomas MacFinn
Archive Member

Post by Thomas MacFinn »

Edit: SOLD (see below for more).

While waiting on rattan for custom orders to arrive, I completed this trio of 15A wasters. The shorter are standard size (42" overall with a 12" tang), the longer one is 46" overall with a 15" tang. The outside two are open for sale. The center one has been sold.
Last edited by Thomas MacFinn on Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thomas MacFinn
Archive Member

Re: Rattan Wasters - Multiple ready to ship.

Post by Thomas MacFinn »

46" 15A waster sold. Top one in the picture is still available (and the type 17 at the top of the thread).
Last edited by Thomas MacFinn on Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Thomas MacFinn
Archive Member

Post by Thomas MacFinn »

Unfinished gladius (top) 32" $85 Edit: *SOLD*
Spatha complete with thrusting tip and stainless steel guard (bottom) 36" $115 Edit: *SOLD*
Last edited by Thomas MacFinn on Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thomas MacFinn
Archive Member

Post by Thomas MacFinn »

(image removed)

Here's what's left. Get it while you can. Edit: *SOLD*
Last edited by Thomas MacFinn on Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thomas MacFinn
Archive Member

Post by Thomas MacFinn »

Only the spatha with the red thrusting tip is left. Eirik from Munitions Grade Arms grabbed the other three for resale.
Thomas MacFinn
Archive Member

Re: Rattan Wasters - One left

Post by Thomas MacFinn »

Katana prototype
Overall length 43"
Grip 12"
Weight 2 lbs 3.3 oz
balance 5" from tsuba
$55 or best offer. Edit: *SOLD*
Last edited by Thomas MacFinn on Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Thomas MacFinn
Archive Member

Re: Rattan Wasters - Mace, Spatha, Katana and more

Post by Thomas MacFinn »

Today's carving.

Mace $75 Edit: *SOLD*
27.5" long overall, 1 lb 2.5 oz

Curved short sword $60 Edit: *Still Available* (see below)
25.5" overall length, 1 lb 0.8 oz
extra-wide back for stiffness, skin-on entire length of striking surface (including tip)
Last edited by Thomas MacFinn on Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:43 am, edited 3 times in total.
Vitus von Atzinger
Archive Member

Post by Vitus von Atzinger »

You are getting better and better!!!
"I am trying to be a great burden to my squires. The inner changes we look for will not take place except under the weight of great burdens."
-Me
Thomas MacFinn
Archive Member

Post by Thomas MacFinn »

Today's carving: another katana and another mace. The katana will get a thrusting tip and fully taped as soon as the ordered tips arrive. So will the mace.

Current stats:
Mace: 1 lb 4.5 oz, 25.5" overall length (without thrusting tip) Edit: *SOLD*
$75

Katana: 2 lb 6.0 oz, 41" overall length (without thrusting tip), 12.25" grip Edit: *SOLD*
Mild steel tsuba included.

I'm switching to aluminum for the tsubas so am dropping the price on both of my existing katanas down to $35.
Last edited by Thomas MacFinn on Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Vitus von Atzinger
Archive Member

Post by Vitus von Atzinger »

How many Katanas do you have exactly?
"I am trying to be a great burden to my squires. The inner changes we look for will not take place except under the weight of great burdens."
-Me
Thomas MacFinn
Archive Member

Post by Thomas MacFinn »

Two.

Two katanas, two maces, one spatha and one single-edged slightly-curved dagger.

Edit (10/19/11): Only the dagger is left (see below for more).
Last edited by Thomas MacFinn on Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thomas MacFinn
Archive Member

Post by Thomas MacFinn »

Both katanas sold.
Thomas MacFinn
Archive Member

Post by Thomas MacFinn »

Thomas MacFinn wrote:The katana will get a thrusting tip and fully taped as soon as the ordered tips arrive. So will the mace.
Edit: Both pieces taped and sold.
Last edited by Thomas MacFinn on Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thomas MacFinn
Archive Member

Re: Rattan Wasters - Spatha, Maces and more

Post by Thomas MacFinn »

BTW, I think Eirik's new chisel point thrusting tips look very interesting.

Thomas MacFinn
Archive Member

Post by Thomas MacFinn »

Thomas MacFinn wrote:Two.

Two katanas, two maces, one spatha and one single-edged slightly-curved dagger.
Eirik grabbed the spatha and both maces for resale. Only the curved dagger/short sword is left.
Last edited by Thomas MacFinn on Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thomas MacFinn
Archive Member

Post by Thomas MacFinn »

I carved down the sides of the small waster a bit more to give it a less chunky appearance and reduced the weight by a few ounces (but it still has quite a bit of smack). I've also knocked $10 off the price.

This is a rare item. I can only make curved blades with skin on the entire striking surface when I find a piece of rattan that grew that way.

Curved short sword $50 *Still Available*
25.5 inches overall length, 14.4 oz
extra-wide back for stiffness, skin-on entire length of striking surface (including tip)
Last edited by Thomas MacFinn on Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thomas MacFinn
Archive Member

Post by Thomas MacFinn »

I've sold quite a few other things, but I still have this little guy. He is surprisingly light and has a very nice smack.
Thomas MacFinn wrote: This is a rare item. I can only make curved blades with skin on the entire striking surface when I find a piece of rattan that grew that way.

Curved short sword $50 *Still Available*
25.5 inches overall length, 14.4 oz
Thomas MacFinn
Archive Member

Post by Thomas MacFinn »

Most manufacturers are creating their crossguards to fit on a 1.25" round baton and they are not ideal for the blades I produce, so I have started to carry a few of my own.

(top to bottom)
Left column:
2.25" Stainless steel gladius guard (1.1 oz) $4
3" Galvonized rondel guard (3.6 oz, 1.25" ID) $1

Middle column:
3" Mild steel basic tsuba (12.1 oz) $10
3" Black plastic basic tsuba (1.7 oz) $38
3" Aluminum basic tsuba (4.4 oz) $38

Right Column:
3.75" Mild steel Musashi tsuba (12.5 oz) $20
3.25" Black plastic wheel/chrysanthemum tsuba (1.0 oz) $60

Aluminum Wheel tsuba ($110) and aluminum crane tsuba ($195) not pictured.