Review - Illusion Armoring

For trading/Selling/and posting items that you need very badly.
Temple
Archive Member

Review - Illusion Armoring

Post by Temple »

This is just a quick review on my dealings with Scott and Lynette over at Illusion

On a scale of 1 to 5

Price: 5 out of 5 – Not sure I could get anything close to what I got for what I paid for it - It wasn't on special ad it wasn't at a discount price - it was just exaclty what I wanted for what I was willing to pay (even after close to $100 in freight, in real money, not US$ haha)

Communication: 2.5 out of 5 – I kind of had to push to get information, based on this item being in stock and me wanting to make sure it fit as required, I would have thought that people would be happy to move it on ASAP.

Delivery and Shipping: 5 out of 5 – Not sure what shipping within CONUS is like normally...but try to get something into Australia from anywhere, and get ready to sit tight - I was pretty happy with getting it today after ordering it (from stock) on the 26th or July) Packed in a large sturdy box with foam peanuts everywhere.

Craftsmanship: 4.8 out of 5 – This thing is bombproof, great articulation where required - only a few bits that I might get "fixed" both revolve around the grill on the front (lack of penetration of the weld, when it was ground back, it's left a small crack and a small hole on another) These are cosmetic only, but knowing me, I'll get a customer of mine to tig them.

One thing I will mention, for reasons known to Illusion, they don't offer ANY form of electronic payment...do you know how painful that is ? I had to post a cheque, in US$, in the mail, from Australia...then wait...I know, it's an instant gratification society, but it was painful.

So I probably did the worst thing, but I sent my money, and THEN did some checking on past reviews - buyers remorse kicked in big time, and I couldn't help but think would I get what I paid for...From what I've read, they have been slow to deliver in the past for custom work.

I think I got a great product for a great price, I'd have no problem ordering from them in the future.

Here's the new toy
Temple
Archive Member

Re: Review - Illusion Armoring

Post by Temple »

Those lines !!! I know right :)
Karl Helweg
Archive Member

Post by Karl Helweg »

Spiffy! Are you going to post pictures of your whole kit?
Karl
http://earngyld.org/
I am from Oertha so I am automatically cooler than you.
Temple
Archive Member

Post by Temple »

You've got it... literally...
It's the first bit that I've got other than a gambeson
I have Elbows/Knees and Pauldrons in the pipes, all are articulated and leather uppers and vambraces to attach to them (I'd like to go steel later) Eric @ James River and Frank from Viking respectively.
So at the moment, It's sitting on a helmet stand that I made when I got home from work (bought a router and I want to use it on everything now :) )
Karl Helweg
Archive Member

Post by Karl Helweg »

Patience is not my greatest virtue but please do not forget to post pictures. Do you have any concept sketches in the meantime?
Karl
http://earngyld.org/
I am from Oertha so I am automatically cooler than you.
Dafydd
Archive Member

Post by Dafydd »

I have that very same helm! Well...probably in a larger size, as I have a head like a basketball, but the same beautiful pattern. It's one of the best pieces of armor I own - and that's saying something, as I have a superb Brian Brown Armory (knitebee) custom cuirass and some other great stuff in my early 16th Century full plate kit. It's also very authentic. I recall a pic here on AA (in a photo archive I can no longer find on the site, alas) of a close helm from a German museum with virtually identical lines, even including the vertical bar visor. I assume it was a tournament piece for foot combat in the lists rather than a war or jousting helm, given the bar grill...but it's really satisfying to me to be able to document a bar-visored helm! The resemblance is so close that I'd bet the German original was used as a model.

Like yours, mine's built like a tank and has never dented in several years of service (and some pretty good shots to the head, as my skills decay from age and relative disuse). I understand that some people have had problems with Illusion's delivery time on orders not in stock, but fwiw, my helm was delivered precisely as agreed upon (about three months from the date of order, waiting for me at Estrella).

I also have a pair of Illusion mitten gauntlets, which are also excellent. Superb lines, great craftsmanship, and exceptional protection. I'm pretty fussy about the latter (pro musician...I can't have a hand injury!), and I fight in complete confidence in those gauntlets.

All in all, I second your recommendation for Illusion Armoring.
Earl Dafydd ap Gwynedd, KSCA
per barry engrailed of nine, vert and argent, a raven's head erased, proper
"In democracy, it's your vote that counts; in feudalism, it's your Count that votes..."
Adrian of Rimsholt
Archive Member

Post by Adrian of Rimsholt »

This is all very good to hear. I have a rather big order from them and am hoping everything goes fine.
"I love a man who grins when he fights." Winston Churchhill
Count Johnathan
Archive Member

Post by Count Johnathan »

They are good people too. I love both of them. I worked in their shop when I was a teenager as trade to get some custom armor done and I am the proud owner of Scotts very first stainless steel norman helm.
Hit hard, take light and improve your game.
Temple
Archive Member

Post by Temple »

I think in the past, they may have let things get away from them, and in the process, let some people down - I get the feeling that things are different.

If you take a look at their website, they have a nice looking open faced sallet for sale with bevor...if it was in stainless I know someone that would buy in a heatbeat.
I was VERY tempted to pick up a pair of those gauntlets, VERY tempted...in fact, I might change my mind
Wulfgar
Archive Member

Post by Wulfgar »

Hey Temple if you're after a pair of their gauntlets there is guy down here in Tas that has a pair I think he is looking to sell. I'd say they are size large.
Sir Wulfgar Jarnsiða
Temple
Archive Member

Post by Temple »

Colour me interested- if they're in stainless
Dafydd
Archive Member

Post by Dafydd »

Temple wrote:Colour me interested- if they're in stainless
They're also showing a couple pair in stainless on the website.
Earl Dafydd ap Gwynedd, KSCA
per barry engrailed of nine, vert and argent, a raven's head erased, proper
"In democracy, it's your vote that counts; in feudalism, it's your Count that votes..."
Noe
Archive Member

Post by Noe »

Does anyone know if Illusion has hammered out its issues with delivery times when the order is not in stock. I will be a happy man, if so: I'd like to do business with them.
Bring me my broadsword and clear understanding.
UlrichvR
Archive Member

Post by UlrichvR »

I currently have an order with them for a sallet and Gothic breast and back. they have been wonderful, communication has been great. They have told me how my order has stood through the process. Both are custom pieces and they were up front with the time it would take (6 months). No problem, I am not in a hurry as I have another kit to fight in. I will not hesitate to order from Illusion or recommend them. You just have to understand they are on a schedule. Most others I went to for the project were quoting the same time or longer. You will get your stuff, just not real fast for custom. If they have it in stock in your size, don't hesitate, get it. Ulrich
Known World Treasures http://www.knownworldt.com

He who finds no pleasure in a naked sword,
a falcon's flight, a noble steed,
or a beautiful woman,
has no real lust for life...
THL Ulrich Von Rothenburg
armsandarmor
Archive Member

Post by armsandarmor »

got an illusion armet, italian arms and cuirass. theyre awesome. the wait would be worth it and its the same wait as with atzinger or pitbull or any other high end maker that has a huge line.
Adrian of Rimsholt
Archive Member

Post by Adrian of Rimsholt »

I've ordered the Burgundian full harness with high gothic arms and pauldrons from them. It's supposed to arrive in late September. So far no problems and communication has been pretty good. I'll post a review when it arrives.
"I love a man who grins when he fights." Winston Churchhill
R_Flagg_77

Post by R_Flagg_77 »

I've got a pair of Illusion cuisses I bought second hand here; and while I have yet to wear them I really like the quality of them. I won't hesitate to order from them directly when I'm able to financially.
Bender
Archive Member

Post by Bender »

This guy is an excellent craftsman who had a lot of hassles with neighbors in his old location.

Thier move to a new location seems to have paid off for them, and it looks like he is catching up.

Not every armorer is a "rip off" who has delivery issues. Some just have bad luck, or bad circumstances.

Remember that custom work is dicey, and you make patterening mistakes getting it right. It's always going to take longer to get custom armor out the door in wearable condition. Off the shelf is always faster.
Maelduin mac D
Archive Member

Post by Maelduin mac D »

Dafydd wrote: It's also very authentic. I recall a pic here on AA (in a photo archive I can no longer find on the site, alas) of a close helm from a German museum with virtually identical lines, even including the vertical bar visor. I assume it was a tournament piece for foot combat in the lists rather than a war or jousting helm, given the bar grill...but it's really satisfying to me to be able to document a bar-visored helm!
I have pictures from Die Rustkammer in Dresden of a just-barely-period bar grilled tourney helm that is quite similar, and also wire basket hilted tourney swords. Not the greatest as photography is verboten, so I had to sneak shots with no flash. ;-)
..."It has to be 100% pleasure, Sir Knight"

"And why is that, good Squire?"

"Because if there were any work involved, it would be delegated to the Squires!"
Temple
Archive Member

Post by Temple »

Can you chuck it up here ?
Interested in seeing it, I've seen some examples of bar grilled helms that are similar but to see one would be great.