Historically patterned mail - All commission slots full

For trading/Selling/and posting items that you need very badly.
Tom B.
Archive Member

Historically patterned mail - All commission slots full

Post by Tom B. »

All commission slots full for now.
I may be able to make a few more standards.
[b]Updated Info:[/b] wrote:OK guys, I have some materials ordered to get this ball rolling.
I ordered enough mail to cover at least 10 more sets of sleeves or brayettes.
Also should be able to do several standards.

If you are serious about wanting these now is the time to act.
These would be for my option #2 (Very limited "production" of custom sized pieces) I will be using these to complete my documentation of patterns and assembly.
The prices below are correct.
I would want 50% down now and 50% + shipping (USPS flat rate) upon completion.
PM me if you are interested.

Current prices are (these are for Option #2 from my original Post & 6mm 50% pin riveted 50% punched rings mail only no straps, buckles, etc):
1. Pair of sleeves = $650
2. Standard = $200
3. Brayette = $450
Many of you may have seen my threads on making my own historically patterned mail items.
Here are links for those of you who have not read them & a picture of the items I have made.

Mail Sleeve Thread
Mail Brayette Thread
Mail Standard Thread

As you might gather from the threads linked above, I was not satisfied with the shape of the commercially available mail items.
With huge help from Wade and especially Mac I have been able to make exactly what I wanted.
I am now contemplating an endeavor that would make these three items available commercially. I need to gauge the interest before venturing much further.
I am still working out the pricing and schedule.

I have several possible paths I can go (these are not necessarily mutually exclusive):

1. Sell customizable kits
These would consist of cut out pieces with loose rings and rivets.
Detailed assembly instructions and support would be provided.
Also instructions for size adjustments.
This will be the most economical option, should be substantially cheaper than currently available
completed mail items.

2. Very limited "production" of custom sized pieces
The work would be done by me so production would be slow and labor intensive / expensive :wink:
This is obviously the lowest production speed and highest cost.
Probably around 10-15% more than currently available mail items.

3. A few sizes available "Off the Rack" with limited availability.
This would be higher volume and a bit cheaper than option#2.
Only 2 or 3 sizes would be made.
Best guess is this would be near to currently available mail items in price.

Currently I only have my sized patterns made up for 6mm pin riveted mail and the three items shown.
If things go well more items would follow.

Here is what I need from you guys:
1. Are you interested in any of these 3 items? (if so which ones)
2. Which of the three options above (kit, custom, off the rack) would you be most interested in?
3. When would you be ready to buy? (now, in a few months, with in a year, who knows)
4. What other mail items would you like to see added?

Thanks,
Last edited by Tom B. on Wed May 20, 2015 10:17 am, edited 5 times in total.
Keegan Ingrassia
Archive Member

Re: Any interest in historically patterned mail products?

Post by Keegan Ingrassia »

:shock: oh, the temptation...

Alright Tom, honest answers.

1. Yes, to options 1 or 3. Currently, I'm more willing to spend sweat than money. Likely the most economical option on your end, too. Keep a few standard size pieces in stock, mix and match to get closest to custom sizing, and send out with instructions on marrying Size A forearm to Size C bicep. The work would mostly be on the front-end, writing instructions.
2. Most interested in option 1. I'd end up tweaking option 3, anyway.
3. Who knows when, unfortunately. That may change within the year, depending on if a job opportunity for my wife pans out.
4. Other options? Well, a mail skirt is too straightforward. Perhaps historically correct aventails. Need to think on this one...

Thanks for the countless hours on this, and for being willing to help the rest of us get out of badly tailored mail.
"There is a tremendous amount of information in a picture, but getting at it is not a purely passive process. You have to work at it, but the more you work at it the easier it becomes." - Mac
William Frisbee
Archive Member

Post by William Frisbee »

1.) Kits for me are rough. Yep, I've done mail before. My very first piece of armour was a full length hauberk that I spent nearly a year making. It was rough, it was a learning experience, and I have no desire to try it again. Yep, there is a need for it as a lot of people love to do it, but I simply don't have the time to put into making my own. HOWEVER if its just adding rings to fit the mail better (IE all the big pieces are already done), and attaching buckles and leathers, this does sound good.

2.) Custom mail for you will be rough, we all come in different sizes, and custom fitting mail is a bitch as you well know. We all know what happens when you add $$$ to anything in the armour world. A lot of people turn tail and run the other direction. But there are some of us that know good armour is fitted armour. And the last thing I really want is getting a set of brayettes pinching things they shouldn't or hanging all gappy... yuck to both. For me this one is a solid option. Yep, I know I'm going to pay more, but I'm getting something for me. This is how I view my armour. It took a long time to get it to me, and I paid a lot for it. But its MINE.

3.) Meh. I suppose you could start here and make the quick buck. People want these that is for sure. If they are SCA peoples, most are willing to sacrifice a bit of fit for a bit of convenience it seems.

If you offered brayettes now, in option 2 and the cost was as you state, I would order today and give you a down payment immediately. Hell I may even order sleeves to replace my voiders.

Other mail needed? Voiders. Not sleeves, voiders.

Mail skirts, I don't see a lot of these out there.

Mail cuisses. I've seen a few images of these, but not sure if they are extended brayettes, or just thigh armours...
New Hampshire KdF
Learn the Way of the Sword, the way the Germans intended it!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/NewHampshireKDF
Gregoire de Lyon
Archive Member

Post by Gregoire de Lyon »

I might eventually be interested in a properly fitted 14th century shirt. One of the biggest things that has prevented me from buying anything commercially available right now is the complete lack of tailoring - I can make tubes, I don't want tubes.

Option #1 or #3 would be most appealing, but again, this is an eventually level acquisition.
Gregoire de Lyon

----
"I am going to go out to the shop to taste some leathers. I'll report back later." -- Mac
coreythompsonhm
Archive Member

Post by coreythompsonhm »

Well, I would be interested in option one. Specific mail items, undecided. Depending on final costs, sometime soon or within the year.
Baron Eirik
Archive Member

Post by Baron Eirik »

Interest, definitely

Budget, sadly, no.

Best of luck!
Master Eirik, MSCA
Munitions Grade Arms, Rattan & Thrusting Tips
Now on Facebook
wcallen
Archive Member

Post by wcallen »

I would probably be most interested in the kits. If the mail is actually mostly whole and it doesn't require lots of patching.
I should be interested in getting pieces to fill in my 14th c. suit, my 15th c. suit and probably some of my antiques... say a couple of 16th c. suits.

But I am often distracted by old things that come up for sale. Which often crimps my modern armour buying budget.

The last thing that I got that crimped my style was this one:

http://www.allenantiques.com/A-240.html

If you are trying to get together the cash for an initial order (a real order took... 7K, I think back when Doug was thinking about it) remember me as a possible source of seed money for the right stuff. I could probably help round it out with a decent 8mm shirt (to re-cut and make work).

Wade
stallari
Archive Member

Post by stallari »

you bet! sleeves, voiders, skirts, standards. let us know when prices are available!
Not in the Face! Not in the Face!
Paladin74
Archive Member

Post by Paladin74 »

I'd be up for #2, possibly #3 - I don't have the time or desire for #1 unless it was a simple matter of knitting ends together with everything already pre-shaped and tailored to me, reasonably of course.
Dulce Bellum Inexpertis. -Pindar

Knight, Order of the Marshal
Cet
Archive Member

Post by Cet »

#1 would be what I could see using most often and it would be nice having #2 as an option to send folks to.
Kalle Ommer
Archive Member

Post by Kalle Ommer »

Well, kit´s would be great....

Greetings
Gewalt ist nicht die Loesung des Problems ..... aber ungemein befriedigend ;-)
Otto von Teich
Archive Member

Post by Otto von Teich »

I'd like all three off the rack! But I'm poor as a churchmouse right now. Probably will be for awhile. And to feeble to wear what I've got anyway. It would be an expensive luxury for display only on my gothic harness with me. But...it would be sweet! You did a fantastic job!
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Knight Sir James
Archive Member

Post by Knight Sir James »

Tom B. wrote:I have several possible paths I can go (these are not necessarily mutually exclusive):

1. Sell customizable kits
These would consist of cut out pieces with loose rings and rivets.
Detailed assembly instructions and support would be provided.
Also instructions for size adjustments.
This will be the most economical option, should be substantially cheaper than currently available
completed mail items.

2. Very limited "production" of custom sized pieces
The work would be done by me so production would be slow and labor intensive / expensive :wink:
This is obviously the lowest production speed and highest cost.
Probably around 10-15% more than currently available mail items.

3. A few sizes available "Off the Rack" with limited availability.
This would be higher volume and a bit cheaper than option#2.
Only 2 or 3 sizes would be made.
Best guess is this would be near to currently available mail items in price.
Any of those three would be great. You might be able to "blend" #1 and #3; offer the #1 option, but build out one or two "in stock" #3s. With prices lower, on par, or only 10-15% more than current prices, that's not bad at all.
Tom B. wrote:Currently I only have my sized patterns made up for 6mm pin riveted mail and the three items shown.
If things go well more items would follow.
I'm moving all my 9mm over to 6mm, so that sounds great to me. After using the 6mm, I can't go back to 9mm, at least not with later period plate.
Tom B. wrote:Here is what I need from you guys:
1. Are you interested in any of these 3 items? (if so which ones)
2. Which of the three options above (kit, custom, off the rack) would you be most interested in?
3. When would you be ready to buy? (now, in a few months, with in a year, who knows)
4. What other mail items would you like to see added?

Thanks,
1) Brayette first, sleeves later, standard - possibly but not sure (since I have one + loose rings/rivets and they're small enough I might just rework mine)

2) In order of preference: #1 or #3 (depending on final prices), #2 last

3) Not until 2016 or so; I bought a bunch of 6mm items this year so my mail budget is all but shot for a while

4) Possibly 6mm mittens? Either in kit form or pre-stitched to a glove, and a slit in the palm. Early crusader style. That should be a pretty reasonable small / medium / large pre-produced item?

Good luck with this Tom. Hopefully the market is better now and this will get farther than trying to get the sleeves through IceFalcon. I didn't have funds for it when that happened, and I ordered a pair of the off-the-rack 6mm sleeves, fauld and standard earlier this year from him, figuring I would just customize them myself. I would have taken any of the 3 options from you if they were already available.
Sable, a chevron between three lions statant Argent
Domingo
Archive Member

Post by Domingo »

I do 16th C and while I wouldn't wear it often, I would be interested in the sleaves and a skirt for my plate harness. Do you have a WAG on the prices so I know what to start begging the wife for in my budget.
btw
I did a C&T tourney this weekend with some ill fitting chain sleaves over a 3/4 harness and lobsterpot, it was fun letting them hack and slash my arms and go Nope! :).
The Path of the Soldier is Death
Tom B.
Archive Member

Post by Tom B. »

Domingo wrote: Do you have a WAG on the prices so I know what to start begging the wife for in my budget.
Current estimates for prices are (these are for Option #2 from my original Post & 6mm 50% pin riveted 50% punched rings):

1. Pair of sleeves = $500
2. Standard = $200
3. Brayette = $375

Thanks,
PartsAndTechnical
Archive Member

Post by PartsAndTechnical »

I cant speak for anyone but myself....

Id be super game for a tailored under-hauberk....to be worn under my 1400 suit.

Also I think you should add mail skirts, tailored a bit to have more rounded hip shape....flows and looks better.

earlier chausses by any chance?

keep up the good work...I was keen on this a while back, glad to see you posting again.
Munitions and Fine Armours ~&~ Historical Furniture and Feastware
http://www.partsandtechnical.com
muttman
Archive Member

Post by muttman »

I may be interested in a tailor fitted elbow length/ mid thigh length shirt. Price would be a consideration but if the price was right I would buy one. I might also be interested in a kit with detailed instruction, materials and tools too depending on price.
You definitely have my attention
"this calls for a special blend of psychology and extreme violence" V. Basterd

Dogs of War Brute Squad
SCA- Sir Ruslan Voronov
Former Squire to Sir Óláfr Fasthaldi
House Anephedros
Maugrim of House Hamilton
Sword Of Cadair Idris EMP
Tom B.
Archive Member

Post by Tom B. »

If things go well with these smaller pieces then more items will be added.
I am not planning on this taking the place of my real job so I am trying to keep my prices as well as overhead low.
Starting out I will be keeping production low while I feel things out with the market and my mail supplier.
If things work out as planned I may be able to source some of the simpler items directly from India and also be able to keep one person in addition to me busy working on the more complicated work here in the US.
Tom B.
Archive Member

Post by Tom B. »

OK guys, I have some materials ordered to get this ball rolling.
I have enough mail on order to cover at least 3 more sets of sleeves or brayettes.
Also should be able to do several standards.

If you are serious about wanting these now is the time to act.
These would be for my option #2 (Very limited "production" of custom sized pieces) I will be using these to complete my documentation of patterns and assembly.
The prices below are correct.
I would want 50% down now and 50% + shipping (USPS flat rate) upon completion.
PM me if you are interested.

Current estimates for prices are (these are for Option #2 from my original Post & 6mm 50% pin riveted 50% punched rings):

1. Pair of sleeves = $500
2. Standard = $200
3. Brayette = $375
Tom B.
Archive Member

Post by Tom B. »

:bump:

I still have enough material coming in for a couple more brayettes or pairs of sleeves also several standards.

Just drop me a PM if interested.

Thanks,
Tom B.
Archive Member

Post by Tom B. »

:bump:
Update added to the first post
Tom B. wrote::bump:

I still have enough material coming in for a couple more brayettes or pairs of sleeves also several standards.

Just drop me a PM if interested.

Thanks,
Tom B.
Archive Member

Re: Historically patterned mail - a few commission slots ope

Post by Tom B. »

180 lbs of mail making materials were delivered to me today! :D
Tom B.
Archive Member

Re: Historically patterned mail - All commission slots full

Post by Tom B. »

I am currently in negotiations to fill my last commission slots.
I may have enough materials on hand to make a few extra standards.
Tom B.
Archive Member

Post by Tom B. »

Progress update:
I have 4 standards and 2 brayettes completed.
3 pairs of full sleeves, 1 pair of short sleeves, and 2 brayetts to go.
Paladin74
Archive Member

Post by Paladin74 »

Hi Tom, do you plan on doing this again and if so, how long do you think it'll be when you're ready to take on more commissions?
Dulce Bellum Inexpertis. -Pindar

Tom B.
Archive Member

Post by Tom B. »

Paladin74 wrote:Hi Tom, do you plan on doing this again and if so, how long do you think it'll be when you're ready to take on more commissions?
If things go as planned maybe in a month or so.
Let me send you a PM