Why Did Cheek Pieces and Neck Guards Go Away?

To discuss research into and about the middle ages.

Moderator: Glen K

RenJunkie
Archive Member

Why Did Cheek Pieces and Neck Guards Go Away?

Post by RenJunkie »

Ok, I know, big broad question that there may be NO evidence supporting any theory. But every time I see a Roman hat (especially those awesome later cavalry models), or a Vendel or the Sutton Hoo, I wonder about it.

It seems to me that the extra face protection and neck protection would be pretty desirable. Was it economic, or cultural, or was it that they just didn't work well enough? Or something else?

Someone has to ask the ridiculously unanswerable questions from time to time. Might as well be me ;)

Thanks!
Christopher
War kittens?!!!

"Born to lose. Live to win."

Historical Interpreter- Jamestown Settlement Museum
Master's Candidate, East Carolina University
Graduate of The College of William & Mary in Virginia
Matthew Amt
Archive Member

Re: Why Did Cheek Pieces and Neck Guards Go Away?

Post by Matthew Amt »

It's a good question, although "Why" is often a perilous one! I doubt it was economic, since it's the upper classes wearing helmets, generally. Maybe the introduction of the mail coif made neckguards and cheekpieces unnecessary?

Matthew
AwP
Archive Member

Post by AwP »

I don't think neckguards ever really went away, they just became less common. Look at the lobstertail and a number of eastern style helmets. Cheek guards yes, but besides the kettlehat, most later helmets go down further than the older helmets you mention.
RenJunkie
Archive Member

Post by RenJunkie »

Hmmm, ok,good point. Let me narrow down a touch;

In Western Europe toward the end of the Viking era and on up until oh, let's say Third Crusade.

I wouldn't have thought that a tight fitting coif or hood would protect better than a solid plate. And even better if you layered the two.

Yeah, I know I'm flirting with almost certain peril, but I couldn't contain the curiosity any longer...lol

Thanks!
Christopher
War kittens?!!!

Baron Alcyoneus
Archive Member

Post by Baron Alcyoneus »

Plate protects against blunt force trauma and kinetic energy far better than mail.
Vypadni z mého trávník!

Does loyalty trump truth?

"If they hurt you, hurt them back. If they kill you, walk it off."- Captain America
chef de chambre
Archive Member

Post by chef de chambre »

Rigid plate proptects better than an articulated plate - a bascinet or a sallet is going to help resist trauma from a blow - so long as it is not penetrated - better than a hinged cheek piece will.

A cuirasse absorbs energy and makes the wearer feel less trauma than a brigandine, which is itelf superior in this regard to mail or soft armour alone.
Baron Alcyoneus
Archive Member

But the question is why did they devolve from Roman style helms with slats, backs, and cheek plates like the Sutton Hoo helm

to helmets with no side and back protection at all?

Vypadni z mého trávník!

"If they hurt you, hurt them back. If they kill you, walk it off."- Captain America
chef de chambre
Archive Member

Post by chef de chambre »

The answer is most probably socio-economic, involving the capabilities of local craftsmen, the expense of raw materials, and the level of demand vs. the battlefield threats faced. Thatm and the basic knowledge of the type, which dissapeared from use, worn out, discarded, and buried long before.

You are looking at a helmet copying a late Roman cavalry helmet, which was buried in the ground centuries before the grandfather of the artist was a glimmer in his great-grandfathers eye.
Peikko
Archive Member
Location: Formerly the sunny bit of England...Now returned to Malagentia, EK.

Post by Peikko »

chef de chambre wrote:...the level of demand vs. the battlefield threats faced...
+1 the changing nature of warfare is an area too often glossed over or dismissed.
"trust me, I'm an archaeologist..."
The Iron Door Collective
http://www.swordfightexeter.org/
RenJunkie
Archive Member

Post by RenJunkie »

Exactly, Alcyoneus.

Note: There is nothing snarky in this post. Please don't anyone take any of it as being snarky or confrontational. Just trying to sate my curiosity.

I'm not disputing full helms working better, just that they're beyond the time range of my question. And they did sorta come back in the 15th-17th centuries In burgonets, some morions, and lobster tailed pots.

How would warfare have changed to make one prefer not having the extra face and neck protection? Not arguing, just asking for what specific changes would have "out moded" hard cheek and neck protection. And since most dudes couldn't afford maille, I would think comparatively cheap plates protecting the cheeks and nervy/blood vessel laden bits of the upper neck woulda been a popular choice.

For the socio-economic...I can see societies thinking you're a bigger badder dude without cheekplates (especially considering who we're talking about), but didn't the Scandanavian peoples get richer after the Migration Period? The weather got warmer, crops got better, and the raiding and trading got better. I woulda been showing off the loot with as much helm as I could viably wear and cover every micron of it with inlay and engraving and such.

I've missed these conversations...lol

Thanks!
Christopher
War kittens?!!!

Matthew Amt
Archive Member

Post by Matthew Amt »

Peikko wrote:
chef de chambre wrote:...the level of demand vs. the battlefield threats faced...
+1 the changing nature of warfare is an area too often glossed over or dismissed.
So what changes in warfare could have driven this change? I'm thinking of, say, 7th century with Baldenheim and Valsgarde helmets to 11th century, with very plain nasal helmets worn by Norman and Saxon kings and noblemen. Aren't the weapons functionally identical at both ends of that span? Spears, swords, axes, arrows. I'm not sure we can make a case for kite shields obviating the need for neck and face protection! Infantry, cavalry--I'm not even sure we can claim that cavalry became all that much more important. Even if armies became larger overall, that wouldn't make a difference to the 3 or 4 guys trying to bash your particular head.

One thing about plate cheekpieces and neckguards is that they have to be properly made, and even then they can be a nuissance, chafing and catching, etc. A mail coif is comfortable by comparison, and allows free head movement without any bites or snags. Even a mail neckguard swings and catches annoyingly. And since a *shirt* of mail was obviously considered to be perfectly adequate protection for a good 1500 years, why should a mail coif be thought to be a significant disadvantage compared to plate neckguards and cheekpieces?

This is where the question of "Why" becomes perilous, eh?

Matthew
Peikko
Archive Member
Location: Formerly the sunny bit of England...Now returned to Malagentia, EK.

Post by Peikko »

Matthew Amt wrote: So what changes in warfare could have driven this change? I'm thinking of, say, 7th century with Baldenheim and Valsgarde helmets to 11th century, with very plain nasal helmets worn by Norman and Saxon kings and noblemen. Aren't the weapons functionally identical at both ends of that span? Spears, swords, axes, arrows. I'm not sure we can make a case for kite shields obviating the need for neck and face protection! Infantry, cavalry--I'm not even sure we can claim that cavalry became all that much more important. Even if armies became larger overall, that wouldn't make a difference to the 3 or 4 guys trying to bash your particular head.

One thing about plate cheekpieces and neckguards is that they have to be properly made, and even then they can be a nuissance, chafing and catching, etc. A mail coif is comfortable by comparison, and allows free head movement without any bites or snags. Even a mail neckguard swings and catches annoyingly. And since a *shirt* of mail was obviously considered to be perfectly adequate protection for a good 1500 years, why should a mail coif be thought to be a significant disadvantage compared to plate neckguards and cheekpieces?

Matthew
Very true...and I don't suspect the answer is an easy one to arrive at.

That said, it has always struck me as highly likely that "something" had changed in the nature of conflict, and that this meant that a combatant might have faced different threats and sought to protect themselves accordingly.

But as you say the "why" is indeed a perilous question.
"trust me, I'm an archaeologist..."
The Iron Door Collective
http://www.swordfightexeter.org/
RenJunkie
Archive Member

Post by RenJunkie »

Like I said, not necessarily better protection, but since maille was hugely expensive, I figured a few smaller plates around the head's soft bits would be a cheaper option. Particularly if you have to choose one bit of armour. Head gear is always the first armour chosen, right? So if you can't afford the crushingly expensive hooded maille shirt, I would have thought cheekpieces and a nape plate better than nothing. I know I would have opted for them...lol.

Yes, it's perilous. But that's the risk you take when you gots the curiosity. :twisted:
Matthew Amt wrote: And since a *shirt* of mail was obviously considered to be perfectly adequate protection for a good 1500 years, why should a mail coif be thought to be a significant disadvantage compared to plate neckguards and cheekpieces?

Matthew
Thanks!
Christopher
War kittens?!!!

AwP
Archive Member

Post by AwP »

Perhaps it has to do with the rise of the couched lance? With the sides and back of the head becoming a less important target (still targeted, just not quite as much), they decided that less armor was needed there for comfort's sake? But then again, if that was it, I'd imagine that face visors would have developed much faster than they did, a nasal doesn't do a whole lot to stop a lance though it works pretty good to stop a slash. <shrug>.
Aaron
Archive Member

Post by Aaron »

I think it was archery that did it.

If you look at most helmets for war, they are concerned with "death from above." The Norman conical does little for a lance to the face or a sword, but I bet it work well to keep an arrow out of the brainpan. The chapel de fer was in fashion from ~1100 AD to basically WWI to keep "death from above" away from you.

The highest number of attacks will not come from in front or from the side, but from above.

-Aaron
Baron Alcyoneus
Archive Member

Yes, but cheeks went away long before that, while they were worried about guys thrusting them with spears, and they probably didn't have coifs- they were lucky to have helms. Except for the rich and important guys, of course.
Vypadni z mého trávník!

Cap'n Atli
Archive Member
Location: Oakley, Maryland, USA (in St. Mary's ["b'Gawd Cap'n..."] County)

Post by Cap'n Atli »

Perhaps (and just perhaps) mail coifs are cooler, more flexible, and just about as effective?

Also, never disregard fashion in human affairs. Thousands of teenage boys wore their baseball caps backwards from the 1980s through the '90s and beyond. Utterly impractical; and totally inspired by one character in the movie Wayne's World, but there it is- go blind in the sun; get cataracts, and have your nose fall off from skin cancer, but by gawd you're fashionable!

Not the first time it happened, either- the big floppy renaissance hats are hoods worn with the top of the head stuck in the face hole, and the lower part flopped over to one side. In other words, hats worn backwards!
Retired civil servant, part time blacksmith, and seasonal Viking ship captain.

Visit parks: http://www.nps.gov
Forge iron: http://www.anvilfire.com
Go viking: http://www.longshipco.org

"Fifty years abaft the mast."
Matthew Amt
Archive Member

Post by Matthew Amt »

RenJunkie wrote:So if you can't afford the crushingly expensive hooded maille shirt, I would have thought cheekpieces and a nape plate better than nothing. I know I would have opted for them...lol.
Not necessarily. You would have opted for what was *fashionable* and affordable. As Atli says, fashion has an unreasonably strong influence. Also remember, the "default" is NO protection, so *any* helmet is an advantage.

Matthew
Baron Alcyoneus
Archive Member

Cap'n Atli wrote:Thousands of teenage boys wore their baseball caps backwards from the 1980s through the '90s and beyond. Utterly impractical; and totally inspired by one character in the movie Wayne's World
Are you sure it wasn't started by Robert Urich/Officer Jim Street in S.W.A.T.?

Google gives it to baseball catcher turning it around so they can put their masks on. Both of which were for functional reasons. Mask, or scope, the bill interfered.
Mega Zenjirou Yoshi
Archive Member

Post by Mega Zenjirou Yoshi »

There is a reason they call them the "dark ages"... only real explanation I can see. How long after the fall of Rome, was it until the coat of plates showed up, the closest thing to a Lorica Segmentata?
AKA: Lord Drogo Bryce of Middlefordshire

Gules, a calygreyhound head caboshed, or.

Effingham-Sensei said "The suck is strong in this one."
RenJunkie
Archive Member

Post by RenJunkie »

Were helms cheaper than hooded shirts of maille?

I don't discount the fashion idea, certainly, it must have influenced thems with money and land. I'm talking about the guys who could get a hat, but couldn't afford the more fashionable maille. And didn't the cheek/neck pieces start to go away before hoods became common on an a maille shirt? I thought coifs as a separate piece came in the later 12th or 13th century?

And yeah, backwards hats were before Wayne's World. At least in the part of Ohio where I grew up. Often the totally impractical fashions are born out of something practical. The backwards hats on catchers and SWAT guys. Baggy pants came out of the gang culture to hide and/or make drawing your pistol easier. Even the bangers seem to have forgotten the point of baggies now.

Thanks!
Christopher
War kittens?!!!

Matthew Amt
Archive Member

Post by Matthew Amt »

You've just answered your own question. A fashion can be set by someone for whom it is practical, then aped by everyone else whether it is practical for them or not! For a baseball catcher, wearing the facemask takes precedence over sun protection. All the people who are simply wearing a cap to wear a cap COULD wear it in a more practical manner, but their preference is for the fashion. A wealthy warrior finds that a mail coif or hood means he can dispense with the weight and inconvenience of cheekpieces and neckguard. Less wealthy warriors simply ape that style. Heck, it's also cheaper for them, especially as all the garnet-inlaid gold bling goes out of style, eh? Remember, the grunts at the bottom aren't thinking "But this leaves my ears hanging out", they're thinking "Cool! A helmet!"

Matthew
RenJunkie
Archive Member

Post by RenJunkie »

Hmmmm....good point......

Thanks!
Christopher
War kittens?!!!

Sean M
Archive Member

Post by Sean M »

Not to mention that the coif (or hauberk with integrated hood) protects areas that most cheek pieces don't (the jaw, front of the neck, and the neck opening of the body armour). There's evidence that some Roman soldiers wore mail or scale hoods instead of a helmet. Its not better to worse, but two different ways of providing excellent protection to the head and neck.

I don't think we know much about the "usual" cost of different types of helmet before the 12th century ... not enough records, and not enough trade.
DIS MANIBUS GUILLELMI GENTIS MCLEANUM FAMILIARITER GALLERON DICTI
VIR OMNIBUS ARTIBUS PERITUS
Check out Age of Datini: European Material Culture 1360-1410
Thomas of Tadcaster
Archive Member

Post by Thomas of Tadcaster »

Perhaps demand out stripped the ability to produce. The scope of warfare expanded exponentially. In 200-300 years we went from small groups raiding to entire cultures crusading. Designs were streamlined. Materials conserved.
mordreth
Archive Member

Post by mordreth »

because the men who could afford good armor went from fighting on foot to fighting from horseback?
Sweat in the tiltyard, or bleed on the field.
btswanfury
Archive Member

Post by btswanfury »

I think socio-economic considerations are paramount. The loss of cheek and neck guards in the early middle ages on helms mirrors the rapid decline of armour of all kinds. Got a few pieces of metal and some skill? Rivet together a spangen and you're good to go! Anything more than that is an afterthought. And with the de-professionalization of armies in the early middle ages and the general lowered standards of living, it's not like your average low income levy militiaman can just go to Wal Mart and buy a helmet of his liking. There is no centralized bureaucracy enforcing government standards on contract armor manufacturers. As such, the need to get protected as cheaply as possible comes to the fore.

I mean, just look at the crusading pot helms you see emerging in the early 12th century. It's like wearing an upside down flower pot on your head. But it's better than no helmet, and could be had cheaply and quickly, which is a nice incentive when going off on crusade and you don't want to be the last guy to grab his piece of the true cross!
Semper in excrementum, sol profundum variat.

(Always in crap, only the depth varies)
Baron Alcyoneus
Archive Member

If you lose the skill base to make something, it can be difficult to regain it. Granulation isn't that difficult of a concept, but the skill to do it was "lost" for centuries. Similarly, in the Amazon, they don't make stone celts, they've lost the knowledge. But they are all over the place laying on the ground, and if yours wears out, you go find another one- or so I was told by an anthropologist.

And it it likely a combination of factors in Western Europe. You don't start to see visors again until around the end of the 13thC, but they still had faceplates in S Russia, IIRC.
Vypadni z mého trávník!

Mega Zenjirou Yoshi
Archive Member

Baron Alcyoneus wrote:If you lose the skill base to make something, it can be difficult to regain it. Granulation isn't that difficult of a concept, but the skill to do it was "lost" for centuries. Similarly, in the Amazon, they don't make stone celts, they've lost the knowledge. But they are all over the place laying on the ground, and if yours wears out, you go find another one- or so I was told by an anthropologist.

And it it likely a combination of factors in Western Europe. You don't start to see visors again until around the end of the 13thC, but they still had faceplates in S Russia, IIRC.
a yup!
or as I said earlier, dark ages....

Matthew Amt
Archive Member

Post by Matthew Amt »

Thomas of Tadcaster wrote:Perhaps demand out stripped the ability to produce. The scope of warfare expanded exponentially. In 200-300 years we went from small groups raiding to entire cultures crusading. Designs were streamlined. Materials conserved.
Hmm, I kinda doubt it. Two to 3 centuries is more than enough time for an industry to keep up with most any demand. And crusading armies were not all that huge, certainly not in terms of fully armored men. The economy was growing, as well, after all, with heavy international trade--those crusaders followed trade routes, after all. I don't think there was any significant economic decline between the "Dark Ages" and the Crusades, in fact I would have guessed that overall there was expansion and growth. Anyone with enough money to launch a crusade could afford enough iron to equip his troops, after all!
btswanfury wrote:I think socio-economic considerations are paramount. The loss of cheek and neck guards in the early middle ages on helms mirrors the rapid decline of armour of all kinds.
But it's in the post-Roman era that we see helmets at their MOST complex! Cheekpieces, faceguards, neckguards, mail drapes, gilding, silvering, embossed overlay, garnet inlay, you name it. Valsgarde helmets spring to mind, but also things like the Baldenheim helmets. This was NOT a decline in armor!
Got a few pieces of metal and some skill? Rivet together a spangen and you're good to go! Anything more than that is an afterthought.
IS there any evidence that helmets were simply slapped together by non-experts in the early medieval period? My impression was that they all showed good skill, even the plain ones. In other words, armor was made by *armorers*, not by the average village smith. But even a village smith could have pride in his work.
And with the de-professionalization of armies in the early middle ages and the general lowered standards of living, it's not like your average low income levy militiaman can just go to Wal Mart and buy a helmet of his liking.
Well, the average militiaman rarely had a helmet in many cultures, but yes, anyone with enough money could simply buy one on the open market. That's with just the armorers producing them, let alone if the village blacksmiths are cranking them out, eh? Society didn't quite drop to Monty Python levels, with peasants in rags scraping for filth--there *was* an international economy.
There is no centralized bureaucracy enforcing government standards on contract armor manufacturers.
Heck, only the Romans *might* have had centralized standards, and their stuff was usually much lower quality than the early medieval stuff! You want junk? Go Government Contract! It's only when the artisans have to impress their customers to stay in business that they make good stuff.
As such, the need to get protected as cheaply as possible comes to the fore.
The aristocracy sets the fashions, as I mentioned above, and they rarely worried about "cheap"! Many cultures had minimum basic requirements for their grunts, but they were generally based on wealth, to be sure that everyone serving could afford what he needed. Or like in Saxon England, small areas would pool their resources to provide troops.
I mean, just look at the crusading pot helms you see emerging in the early 12th century. It's like wearing an upside down flower pot on your head. But it's better than no helmet, and could be had cheaply and quickly, which is a nice incentive when going off on crusade and you don't want to be the last guy to grab his piece of the true cross!
Weren't pot helms worn by *knights*? Functionally, it's not significantly different from the round or conical helmets that came before it, and really no easier or harder to make. It's just a change in *fashion*.

Valete,

Matthew
Jason Grimes
Archive Member

Post by Jason Grimes »

This conversation reminded me of those simple spangens that were from the 5th century (I can dig up a picture). I'm assuming that these were used all through the time period in discussion. The only real difference between them and the later one, is that the latter were made out of one piece instead of spangen construction, and with maybe the addition of a nasel. I'm also assuming that the Valsgard and Sutton Hoo types were fairly rare even during their hayday (mostly owned by nobility?). I'm just thinking which would last longer into the future? A whole bunch of simple types that more people can afford, with the added benefit that they also protect? Or a few more expensive helmets that were pretty much only worn by the nobility?

Edit to add: I guess what I'm trying to say is that did cheek pieces and neck guards really go away? Or did the simpler style win in the long run? Edited also for my bad writing. :)
Jason
audax
Dark Overlord Chick of the Universe

Post by audax »

Drogo Bryce wrote:There is a reason they call them the "dark ages"... only real explanation I can see. How long after the fall of Rome, was it until the coat of plates showed up, the closest thing to a Lorica Segmentata?
Dark Ages refers to the little knowledge we have about the period. Most scholars call it Late Antiquity or the Migration Period. There was plenty of art culture and literature from that period we just didn't know where it was for a long time.

There has been a big shift in our understanding of that period in the last 20-30 years or so.
Martel le Hardi
black for the darkness of the path
red for a fiery passion
white for the blinding illumination
--------------------------------------
Ursus, verily thou rocketh.
audax
Dark Overlord Chick of the Universe

Post by audax »

Most late Roman ridge helms, the ones built for the common soldiery, had no neck or cheek pieces. Why? Because helms without them were cheaper to make and could be mass produced in the state run fabricae (factories) that had developed from the Tetrarchy onward. I suspect that most cheek pieces didn't do that much to abate damage since most blows were stabs in the face or groin, rather than slashes. Most late Roman infantry wore nothing but their clothes in battle. I think Aaron is also correct in speaking of concern with attacks from overhead.

If one parses some of Vegetius comments, soldiers were abandoning their armour, selling it or otherwise getting rid of it because they didn't want to wear or carry it and creating a real problem for their commanders. Armour is hot and heavy. The average conscript hated the Army and didn't care about their harness. Most of the Late Roman soldiery were issued their armour so they had no investment in taking care of it or keeping track of it. It was less of an investment for the government if it just issued a simple metal cap.

One can also note that the earlier Roman Montefortino helms were nothing but caps. The Agen-Port helms look a lot like bowls. The simple bowl type helmet is probably the most common helmet of the common soldier throughout history, from the Sumerians to the Pylos helm in Greece to the cervellieres and conicals of the Medieval period. Fairly light, cheap and effective enough for most soldiers.

Items like the Sutton Hoo helm, the Duerne helm, even hats like the Berkasovo and Intercisa examples were pretty high end pieces and were probably custom jobs for chieftains, that is to say, they are one offs and not typical.
Martel le Hardi
black for the darkness of the path
red for a fiery passion
white for the blinding illumination
--------------------------------------
Ursus, verily thou rocketh.
Mega Zenjirou Yoshi
Archive Member

audax wrote:
Drogo Bryce wrote:There is a reason they call them the "dark ages"... only real explanation I can see. How long after the fall of Rome, was it until the coat of plates showed up, the closest thing to a Lorica Segmentata?
Dark Ages refers to the little knowledge we have about the period. Most scholars call it Late Antiquity or the Migration Period. There was plenty of art culture and literature from that period we just didn't know where it was for a long time.

There has been a big shift in our understanding of that period in the last 20-30 years or so.
But as has been discussed in this thread, I think a lot of technological and manufacturing skills, as well as general scientific and engineering skills were lost.

To use an anology with the modern world, it is as if the general contractors still had plenty, if not more work, but were left to their own devices, all the architects had disappeared.

Matthew Amt
Archive Member

Post by Matthew Amt »

Jason Grimes wrote:This conversation reminded me of those simple spangens that were from the 5th century (I can dig up a picture). I'm assuming that these were used all through the time period in discussion. The only real difference between them and the later one, is that the latter were made out of one piece instead of spangen construction, and with maybe the addition of a nasel.
Oh! I hadn't thought of those--there's a pair shown in Arms and Armor of the Medieval Knight, if I recall correctly. Something like this?

http://img381.imageshack.us/img381/6527 ... 6pcoj7.jpg

I've also seen other examples of those, but it bothers me that they are SO similar, and generally very well preserved. Could they be some kind of WWI or WWII helmet, misdated? (I know there is another type of "spangenhelm" which turned out to be an ME-262 pilot's helmet!) If they're all stray finds and not from datable contexts... But even if they are from the 5th century, they actually predate the Valsgarde, Baldenheim, and Coppergate styles. Plus they may have had cheekpieces originally, if those were attached to the lining, as on a Baldenheim helmet.
audax wrote:Most late Roman ridge helms, the ones built for the common soldiery, had no neck or cheek pieces. Why? Because helms without them were cheaper to make and could be mass produced in the state run fabricae (factories) that had developed from the Tetrarchy onward.
Hmmm, that's not my strongest area, but virtually *all* the helmets from that period that I'm aware of had cheekpieces and neckguards. A frightening number of them are also heavily decorated, and I don't think the Intercissa types are generally seen as being reserved for higher officers--though it's true that the common descriptions of them as "cheap and crude" typically miss the part about them being covered with gilded silver foil! However, it should also be noted that that foil was gilded on *both* sides, so apparently it was being "mass produced" elsewhere for application to whatever item needed it. This is definitely not an indicator that these items were made "one-off" for aristocrats.
I suspect that most cheek pieces didn't do that much to abate damage since most blows were stabs in the face or groin, rather than slashes.
Oh, they work! You can't count on a thrust to the face actually hitting square, after all, a minor twitch at the last split-second will cause it to hit off-center--which the cheekpiece will cover. Plus, it's easier to hit someone who isn't looking right at you! Unless his cheekpiece is in the way.
Most late Roman infantry wore nothing but their clothes in battle.
I'm not sure this idea is supported by the evidence. Certainly *some* late Romans were unarmored, but that's also true back in the first century. Troops who paid for their own kit were just as likely to cut corners. Vegetius harps about the loss of discipline in his day (as many historians do!) as part of his overall campaign to re-instill "ancient" methods. Modern scholars who know the era better than I do have found plenty of evidence for armored late Roman infantry.

Drogo Bryce wrote:But as has been discussed in this thread, I think a lot of technological and manufacturing skills, as well as general scientific and engineering skills were lost.
Yet the helmet makers went from making spangenhelms to making Norman-style conical helmets raised in one piece--I doubt they had "lost the art" of cutting out a cheekpiece! And there is certainly plenty of skilled metalwork from the 10th and 11th centuries, including plenty of gold jewelry, reliquaries, etc., plus mono-steel sword blades and the like. To me, it looks like their capabilities are getting better, not worse. They were obviously fully capable of matching or surpassing anything done before them (okay, hard to surpass Sutton Hoo, granted!), yet they opted for plain helmets with only a nasal. The only other thing I can see that is significantly different is that noble warriors have mail covering more of their bodies, including that coif. So it was practical for them to ditch the neckguards and cheekpieces, and it became *fashionable* for helmets to be made in that new style for everyone else.

Valete,

Matthew