The Peel Affinity: Maille aventail liners

To discuss research into and about the middle ages.

Moderator: Glen K

RandallMoffett
Archive Member

Re: The Peel Affinity: Maille aventail liners

Post by RandallMoffett »

I have been told I can do his voice pretty well in fact!

RPM
Ernst
Archive Member

Post by Ernst »

Cross posting chef's contribution from this thread
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=160784
chef de chambre wrote:The man on the left is wearing a transitional form of Great bascinet. You can see the hinge on the klap-visor. There is likely a mail curtain extending beyond the edge of the helmet. For an example of a Great bascinet with the interior aventail showing, see the tomb of Phillip the Bold in Dijon. The helmet is off him, and you can see it's interior, a padded aventail, and a mail extension beyond the edge of the helmet, which includes a gorgerin plate.

ferrum ferro acuitur et homo exacuit faciem amici sui
Ernst
Archive Member

Post by Ernst »

:bump:

I apologize for any discomfort which the reader may first encounter when seeing a post from our late friend, Galleron. :sad:
However, I thought it best to add this new information to this excellent thread, and hope it honors his memory while helping others.

Sean M provided the link for the 1364 Sixteen Regulations of Armorers, Fabric Armorers, and Helmers of Paris
http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/bpt6k5 ... /f332.item

Though my translation and understanding are not fully adequate, I believe Article 4 helps shed some light upon the topic.

4. Item, que nul ne puisse garnir bacinet neuf ne coisfette, se ce n'est de
cendail neuf ou de toille neufve ou de bouguerant, et que les cermeillères soient
doublés jusques dessoubz le pertuis ou les cermeilléres doivent estre clouées
ou cousues, et que les languettes desdits cermeilléres, se le bacinet est garni
de cendail, soient couvertes de cendail et arrière pointées. Et que nul ne face
fouceau ou bassinet, se il ne lui est commandé, et que le feutre soit couchié
de coton neuf sur vieilz linge et enterin flotté de cendail, et contrendroit, de la
couleur du cendail.

4. Item, that no one shall garnish a new bascinet nor coifette (camail, aventail), unless this is of
new cendal or new canvas or of buckram, and that have doubled cervellieres (padded skullcaps)
above, reaching till below where the channels or skullcaps should be nailed
or sewn, and the tongues (tabs) of said skullcaps, if the bascinet is trimmed
of cendal, are covered with cendal and pointed (angled) to the back. And that none make
fouceau (lining?) or bascinet, unless it is commanded, and the felt is laid down
of new cotton on old linen and in between entirely floated in cendal, and placed against it,
of the color of cendal.
ferrum ferro acuitur et homo exacuit faciem amici sui
J. Morgan Kuberry
Archive Member

Post by J. Morgan Kuberry »

Somewhere in the dim recesses of my memory, comes the notion that in this context, cermeillères means those little brass eyelet things around the edge of the bascinet which the aventail attaches onto, as opposed to cervelliere, which is a skullcap of a helmet. But I could be thinking of some other "c" word.
J. Morgan Kuberry
Archive Member

Post by J. Morgan Kuberry »

Nevermind. I was thinking of vervelles.
mordreth
Archive Member

Post by mordreth »

not an aventail, but I used a arming cap with a quilted section running from just under the ears to the shoulders under a nicely fitted coif, it moved more freely across my hauberk, it sat properly, and as a first layer of defense it probably kept me from serious injury when Morguhn Seridan (of happy memory) slipped going into a thrust, and I stopped several hundred pounds of Duke on my adams apple. a sturdy gorget and standing collar on my hauberk helped.
Sweat in the tiltyard, or bleed on the field.
der soldat
Archive Member

Post by der soldat »

I noticed this image that Ernst posted in the manuscript miniatures sterotypes thread.
http://manuscriptminiatures.com/5736/21130/
Goliath has decorateve dags under his aventail, I presume it's the edging of a hood or liner of some sort
WoodKern
Archive Member

Post by WoodKern »

Good catch soldat.
Cian of Storvik
Archive Member

Post by Cian of Storvik »

I agree that the liner helps the maille hold its shape better and move across the shoulders and chest much easier. Even if the camail/aventail isn't directly in contact with maille on the shoulders; unlined it will snag on rivets, fabric, ties, and just about anything else, in my experience.
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. - Anonymous
When wrongs are pressed because it is believed they will be borne, resistance becomes morality. -Thomas Jefferson