Document: 1357 Count of Hainaut

To discuss research into and about the middle ages.

Moderator: Glen K

Ernst
Archive Member

Document: 1357 Count of Hainaut

Post by Ernst »

Sources:
http://www.archive.org/stream/annalesvo ... g_djvu.txt
https://books.google.com/books?id=NF5AA ... ir&f=false

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_I ... of_Bavaria
William I, Duke of Bavaria-Straubing (Frankfurt am Main, 12 May 1330 – 15 April 1389, Le Quesnoy), was the second son of the emperor Louis IV the Bavarian from his second wife Margaret of Holland and Hainaut. He was also known as William V, Count of Holland, as William III, Count of Hainaut and as William IV, Count of Zeeland.
------------
William had engaged in a long struggle with his mother Margaret, obtaining Holland and Zeeland from her in 1354, and Hainaut on her death in 1356.......in 1357, William began to show signs of insanity, going so far as to attack and kill one of his knights (Gerard van Wateringe) for no apparent reason, before he could be restrained. His brother Albert assumed the regency in Holland and Hainaut in 1358. William was confined to Castle Le Quesnoy for the remainder of his life.
So, likely an inventory at time of commital rather than at time of death. Several people worked on parts of this translation in the thread on musekins.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=163323

1357 Inventory of arms for William of Bavaria, Count of Hainaut

Premiers, ij paires de plattes de wière, s'en sont les unes couviertes d'un drap d'or et les autres d'un bleu velluiel à j escut des armez Monsigneur le conte Willaume.
To begin, 2 pairs of plates of war, of which one is covered with cloth of gold, and the other one blue velvet with 1 escutcheon with the arms of my lord the count William.
Item , ij paires de plattes à jouster, de coy li une est couvierte d'un noir velluiel et l'autre d'un bleu.
Item, 2 pairs of plates for the joust, of which one is covered in black velvet, and the other one blue.
Item, une paire de plattes à jouster qui sont couviertes d'un drap d'or et furent Monsigneur Ânsiaul de Sars.
Item, one pair of plates for the joust, which is covered with cloth of gold, and belonged to my Lord Ânsiaul de Sars.
Item, une paire de plattes à jouster.
Intem, a pair of plates for the joust.
Item, ij paires de plattes de wière des armes de Haynnau.
Item, 2 pair of plates or war with the arms of Hainaut.
Item, vij paires de plattes de le vièse manière.
Item, 7 pairs of plates of the old style.
Item, une paire de plattes de rouge velluiel à ij kainnes d'argent et j billet d'argent.
Item, a pair of plates of red velvet, with 2 'kainnes' of silver and 1 'billet' of silver. (Perhaps a measure of the wight of silver, or a description of the decoration.)
Item, une paire de grandes plattes couviertes d'une rouge torse.
Item, one pair of big plates, covered with a red 'torse'. (Could mean a circle or ring, or a body.)

Item , viij haubrigons et j de déliet fier.
Item, 8 haubergeons and 1 of loosened iron (perhaps in need of repair?)
Item, vi pans, s'en y a j de jaserant.
Item, 6 paunces, which has 1 of jazerant.
Item, viij paires de manches, s'en sont les ij paires de jaserant et ij autres paires de déliet fier.
Item, 8 pairs of sleeves, of which 2 pairs are of jazerant, and 2 other pairs of loosened iron. (mail sleeves)
Item, ix barbières, s'en sont les iij de jaserant.
Item, 9 'beards', of which 3 are jazerant. (Likely aventails, but possibly mail bevors.)
Item, ij collerettes de fort fier, et une de déliet fier.
Item, 2 collars of strong iron, and one of loosened iron. (Mail collars made of heavy rings, and one needing repair.)
Item, iiij paires de kauchons de vière, s'en est une paire dorée.
Item, 4 pair of chaussons of war, one pair which is gilt. (Chaussons are mail boots or socks.)
Item, une paire de kauchons de tournoy et j despareil.
Item, a pair of chaussons for the tournament and 1 extra. (Tournament mail: 3 total, an un-matched "sock".)
Item, une paire de longhes kauces de déliet fier de maille.
Item, a pair of long chausses of loosened iron of maille.
Item, une paire de plus gros fier de celi manière et une kauche despareille.
Item, a pair of bigger iron in that manner, and an extra chausse. (Another un-matched hose.)
Item, une coiffe de le vièse manière, à fleur de lis de laiton.
Item a coif in the old style, with latten fleur-de-lis. (Mail coif with brass decoration.)
Item, ij paires de musekins de jaserant.
Item, 2 pair of jazerant musekins. (Limb armor, mail vambraces or "voiders" covered in fabric.)
Item, iiij paires d'autres fier et une piécette de déliet fier.
Item, 4 other iron pairs (of musekins), and one piece of loosened iron.

Item, j auketon de noir kamouskat s'a j haubrigon devens.
Item, 1 aketon of black camaca, his 1 haubergeon of defense. (Perhaps a mail shirt designed to be worn beneath civil attire?)
Item, vj poitrines à jouster.
Item, 6 breastplates for the joust.
Item, vj hiaumes àjouster et vj bannères et iij rondelles.
Item, 6 jousting helms, and 6 banners, and 3 round shields?
Item, iiij hyames de wière et j hyame à manière de campt.
Item, 4 helms for war, and 1 helm in the style of 'campt.'? (Unsure what this last abbreviation means.)
Item, xviij bachines.
Item, 18 bascinets.

Item, viij paires de bras de fier à jouster et ij rondelles à jouster, de le vièse manière.
Item, 8 pairs of bracers (arm defenses) of iron for the joust, and two round shields? for the joust, in the old style.
Item, une paire de bras de fier de wière et une paire de wans, s'en sont les boucles d'argent esmailliés des armes de Haynnau.
Item, a pair of bracers of iron for war, and a pair of gauntlets, which have silver buckles enamelled with the arms of Hainaut.
Item, une paire de bras de fier de wière et une paire de lons wans de wière.
Item, a pair of bracers of iron for war, and a pair of long gauntlets of war.
Item, vi paires de lons wans de balaine, s'en sont les ij paires aescucés des armes de Haynnau et les autres d'un vert samet, et les autres paires d'un rouge veluiel et une autre paire couviers de blanc cuir.
Item, 6 pairs of long gauntlets of baleen, of which there are 2 pairs escutcheoned with the arms of Hainaut, and another of green samite, and the other pairs of red velvet, and another pair covered with white leather.
Item, vii paires de wans de plattes, s'en sont les iij paires de laiton.
Item 7 pairs of gauntlets of plates, of which there are 3 pairs of latten.

Item, une paire de cussuels à manière de rosettes et une paire de laiton.
Item, a pair of 'cussuels' in the style of rosettes, and a pair of latten. (Cuisses? perhaps leather cuisses with brass rosettes.)
Item, ij paires couviers de veluiel, s'en est li une de vert et li autre de rouge.
Item, 2 pairs covered in velvet, of which one is greeen and the other red.
Item, iij paires de cussuels couviers de noir cuir, se sont clawet de claus dorés.
Item, 3 pairs of 'cussels' covered with black leather, which has golden nail-heads.
Item, une paire de noir cuir, clawés de claus dorés et de bendes dorées.
Item, a pair of black leather, with golden nail-heads and golden bands. ("Stud and splint" cuisses)
Item, vi paires de cussuelz de rouge cuir aboistés de fier, s'en y a une paire clawés de bendes de laiton.
Item, 6 pair of cuisses of red leather 'aboistés' of iron, of which a pair with nails and bands of latten. (forested with iron?)
Item, une paire de noirs cussuelz de noir cuir aescucés des armes de Haynnau.
Item, a pair of black leather cuisses. escutcheoned with the arms of Hainaut.
Item, ij paires de cussuelz de noir cuir.
Item, 2 pairs of cuisses of black leather.
Item, ij paires de noires grèves à bendes dorées et une paire de noir cuir aescucés des armes de Haynnau.
Item, 2 pairs of black greaves with golden bands, and one pair of black leather escutcheoned with the arms of Hainaut.
Item, vij paires de noires grèves.
Item, 7 pair of black greaves.
Item, encor iij paires de rouge cuir.
Item, again, pairs of red leather (greaves).
Item, iij paires de sorlers encrais.
Item pair of sollerets(?) 'encrais' (Foot armor)
Item, xiiij paires de sorlers clawés.
Item, 14 pair of nailed sollerets. (Shoes of plates?)
Item, vii paires d'avans-bras de cuir et x paires de autres de bras deseure.
Item, 7 pair of vambraces of leather, and 10 pairs of other bracers 'deseure'?

Item, viij paires dé couvretures de kevaus aescucés de hacement des armes de Haynnau et sont d'un bleu samet, et de viij tournikiaus.
Item, 8 pairs of covering of horses escutcheoned in hatchment of the arms of Hainaut, and one of blue samite, and of 8 tunics(?)
Item, viij bouches d'escut.
Item, 8 shield 'mouths'. (bosses? covers?)
Item, xxij tournikiaus qui furent fait pour aller à joustes en Ingletière, et xxij bouches d'escut faissiés de bleu samet et de rouge.
Item, 22 tunics which were made to go to the jousts in England, and 22 shield 'mouths' fashioned of blue and red samite.
Item, ij tournikiaus de broudure des armes de Baivière et de Haynnau.
Item, 2 tunics emboidered with the arms of Bavaria and Hainaut. (See top of list image)
Item, j pignoneiaul de broudure.
Item, 1 embroidered pennoncel.
Item , ij banières da bature et ij de cousture.
Item, 2 banners of 'bature'(?) and 2 of 'cousture'(?)

Item, une espée estofîée d'argent à j fouriaul de veluiel à pumiaul et haldure d'argent.
Item a sword richly decorated with silver, with a scabbard of velvet and pommel and cross(?) of silver.
Item, une petite espée à haldure d'argent s'a j pumiaul de rouge pière.
Item, a small sword with cross(?) of silver and pommel of red stone.
Item, encore une espée à j fouriaul de rouge cuir à j tissut de soye clawet d'argent.
Item, again, a sword with 1 scabbard of red leather and 1 strap (belt?) of silk with silver nails.
Item, iij espois de wière.
Item, swords of war.
Item, xij espées et ij brans.
Item, 12 swords and 2 brands. (Brand is an older word for sword. Uncertain what the distinction is.)
Item, ij espées de tournoy.
Item, 2 tounament swords.
Item, encor une espée qui vint d'Avignon.
Item, again, a sword which comes from Avignon.

Item, une bride à j tissut de rouge soye à claus esmailliés, s'a lionchiaus ens.
Item, a bridle with straps of red silk fabric with closed(?) enammels, of lions(?)
Item, ij brides à tissut de verde soye.
Item, 2 bridles with straps of green silk.
Item, v brides de cuir pour grans chevaus.
Item, 5 leather bridles for the big horse.
Item, v lons fiers de glave et ij cours.
Item, 5 long irons of glaives, and 2 short.
Item, j fier de bidaul et j plus estroit.
?
Item, j espiet.
?
Item, j timbre de Haynnau.
Item, 1 stamp of Hainaut. (seal?)
Item, iij capiaus de fier : s'a li uns j cercle d'argent.
Item, 3 kettle hats: of which one has a circlet of silver.
Item, ij coiffes à jouster de le vièse manière.
Item, 2 jousting coifs of the old style. (mail coifs?)
Item, une targe de wière à j lion qui porte le hiame de Haynnau.
Item, a targe of war, with 1 lion which carries the helm of Hainaut.
Item, une petite targe couvierte d'argent.
Item, a small targe covered wth silver.
Item, un pavet' à j hiame Monsigneur de Biaumont.
Item, a pavise an 1 helm of the Lord of Beaumont.
Item, j pavet de Prusse.
Item, 1 Prussian pavise.
Item, ij paires de couvrectures de chevaus de fier de maille, et une paire de couvrectures de fier de plattes.
Item, 2 pairs of coverings for the horse of iron of mail, and a pair of coverings of iron of plates.
Item, iiij escus à jouster.
Item, 4 shields for the joust.

Item , iiij coffres de bos fiérés et j lont à ij cloustres et iij coffres de cuir.
Iron reinforced chests and leather cases for armor?

Item, ij paires d'espourons de laiton et une paire de dorés à boutons.
Item, 2 pairs of latten spurs, and a pair (set) of golden buttons.
Item, vj sielles à jouster.
Item, 6 saddles for jousting.
Item, vj sielles de chevaliers à tournois.
Item, 6 saddles of knights for tournament.
Item, ij sielles d'escuyer.
Item, 2 saddles of esquires. (shield-bearers - squires)
Item, ij sielles de bannère pour le wière.
Item, 2 saddles 'of banners' for the war. (Perhaps some sort of saddle skirting?)
Item, une sielle de wière couvierte de rouge veluiel et est li bride à rouge tissut de soye.
Item, a saddle of war covered in red velvet, and with a bridle with red silk straps.
Item , une sielle d'escuyer des armes de Haynnau.
Item, a saddle with escutcheons of the arms of Hainaut.
Item, j arbalestre.
Item, 1 crossbow.
Item, xviii sour-cengles et xii cengles.
Item 18 sister-straps, and 12 straps(?)
Last edited by Ernst on Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:46 pm, edited 9 times in total.
ferrum ferro acuitur et homo exacuit faciem amici sui
Andeerz
Archive Member

Re: Document: 1357 Count of Hainaut

Post by Andeerz »

I am curious about how you arrived at your interpretations (that is not to say I disagree with them). Is it common at the time to use such terms as "fort" and "déliet" to mean "heavy" and "fine/light" respectively, at least in the context they are given in here? You suggest that "déliet" may have some relationship to the word "delicate". Something tells me that in Old and Middle French, the c would be there if it was a word related to delicate.

The only other word I can find in French (Old, Middle, or Modern) that seems to be similar to "déliet" is the verb "délier", which means "to loosen or untie". Just a thought... perhaps this could be talking about butted rings? :D
Ernst
Archive Member

Post by Ernst »

I'm no expert in old French, or in Bavarian-Belgian accents of it. I certainly welcome any aid or suggestions in interpretation, which is one of the reasons I post here. You can see a number of people who have corrected and offered better translations for this on the "musekins" thread. I consider it brainstorming and group effort. Some of the older translators have differing ideas which I also try to take into account.

If the word means "loose", it likely means an open weave, with lots of space between the rings, rather than butted rings. It could even be referring the quality of the iron used.
Ernst
Archive Member

Post by Ernst »

After much consideration and additional research, I have concluded that Andeerz is correct that déliet means in some way unfastened. I have changed the translation to loosened. Thom Richardson's thesis describes some mail items as coarse and rusty, missing rivets which I think is what we are seeing in this inventory - items in need of repair. I still think that fort means strong or heavy rings.
Signo
Archive Member

Post by Signo »

Could "silver buckles esmailliés(?) the arms of Hainaut" mean enameled silver buckles? I ask this because esmailliès sounds much like italian "smaltate", and it has even a meaning.
Ernst
Archive Member

Post by Ernst »

Seems likely. Modern French is émaillée. Thanks, Signo.
Bertus Brokamp
Archive Member

Post by Bertus Brokamp »

For the record, he was not only count of Hainaut but also of the counties of Zeeland and Holland.
His mother relinquished power over Zeeland and Holland to him in 1354.
She died in 1356 so Hainaut also became his.

William went mad and from 1358 his brother Albrecht (duke of Bavaria-Straubing) ruled in his stead. They both held court in The Hague, in the county of Holland.
I would not surprise me if the inventory of the committal arsenal at the castle in Mons was drawn up in 1357 to help Albrecht get to grips with his new possessions / responsibilities.
Bertus Brokamp
Mac
Archive Member

Post by Mac »

Item, a small sword with cross(?) of silver and pommel of red 'pière'.
Is this a red stone pommel? I'm pretty sure I've seen a pic of an extant pommel made of jasper or some such.

Mac
Robert MacPherson

The craftsmen of old had their secrets, and those secrets died with them. We are not the better for that, and neither are they.

http://www.lightlink.com/armory/
http://www.billyandcharlie.com
https://www.facebook.com/BillyAndCharlie
Gerhard von Liebau
Archive Member

Post by Gerhard von Liebau »

Mac wrote:
Item, a small sword with cross(?) of silver and pommel of red 'pière'.
Is this a red stone pommel? I'm pretty sure I've seen a pic of an extant pommel made of jasper or some such.

Mac
http://myarmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php ... one+pommel

There's even one with a red jasper pommel dated from about the right period.

Ernst
Archive Member

Post by Ernst »

Mac,
That looks good to me (Fr. pierre). I've seen quartz crystal before, but had never seen one in red.

Gerhard,
I see the My Armoury page attributes it to Spain.
Gerhard von Liebau
Archive Member

Post by Gerhard von Liebau »

Ernst wrote:Gerhard,
I see the My Armoury page attributes it to Spain.
Ha! I didn't mean to presume that it might be the same sword. Just that it happened to fit the bill. That would be like thinking that a Mercedes 300SL discovered in a junk yard in 700 years might be the one raced by Sir Stirling Moss... Un-freaking-likely! :)

-Gerhard
Last edited by Gerhard von Liebau on Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
J.G.Elmslie
Archive Member

Post by J.G.Elmslie »

there's another pommel in the Royal Armouries. Chalcedony, I recall, is the term used on the RA catalogue for it, rather than Jasper. (same stone, though, I gather.)

I'd do filthy, filthy things to man, beast or duck to make a replica of one of these. :D
Attachments
Royal Armouries  chalicedony Wheel-pommel_small.jpg
Royal Armouries chalicedony Wheel-pommel_small.jpg (88.87 KiB) Viewed 862 times
Last edited by J.G.Elmslie on Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Previously known as Suzerain.

http://www.elmslie.co.uk
Ernst
Archive Member

Post by Ernst »

Now, when I see a red pommel in a miniature, I will no longer presume bronze is being represented.