Document: 1378, THE WILL OF SIR JOHN DE FOXLE.

To discuss research into and about the middle ages.

Moderator: Glen K

worldantiques
Archive Member

Document: 1378, THE WILL OF SIR JOHN DE FOXLE.

Post by worldantiques »

The Archaeological Journal, Volume 15, Royal Archaeological Institute, 1858

THE WILL OF SIR JOHN DE FOXLE, OF APULDREFIELD, KENT. DATED NOVEMBER 5, 1378.
COMMUNICATED BY THE REV. WILLIAM H. GUNNER, MA.

https://books.google.com/books?id=J-M9A ... utput=text
A bequest occurs to Thomas Paynel, the nephew of the testator, comprising his dun horse, with a haubergeon, described as " de alto clowour," a term of rare occurrence: a basinet of unusual size (largiorem) with the visor and anentaille. In the Inventory of armour of Louis X., King of France, taken in 1316, and given in Ducange, under the word Armatura, the following items occur.—" 33 hautes gorgieres doubles de Chauibli.— Uns pans et uns bras de roondes mailles de haute cloiieure. Item, uns pans et uns bras d'acier plus fors de mailles rondos de haute cloiieure.— Item, une barbiere de haute cloiieure de chambli.—Item, une testiere de haute cloiieure de maille ronde.—Item, une couverture de mailles rondes demy cloees." The precise import of the term high, as applied to the riveting of mail, has not been ascertained: it doubtless might designate workmanship of high class and of the best quality, but the epithet altus may very probably have denoted some peculiarity in the rivets of the mail, which we have sought in vain to define. The various modes of constructing mail have not, indeed, been sufficiently examined. Examples occur in which the rings are welded and riveted throughout the entire fabric; whilst in ethers the alternate rows only are riveted. Mention occurs of "chauces de fer menu maillies—Haubert safire, menue maillie,"3 as also of the "hauberc dobletin,—haubert doublier—haubert a maille dublc—un hauberk clavez de double maille," <fcc.
Amongst varieties of mail, a specimen, stated to have been obtained in Gloucestershire, and figured in the Journal of the Archaeological Association, vol. i. p. 142, deserves especial notice. In this fragment, composed of rings of unusually large size, the riveting wire in every ring is passed twice through, so that on one Bide of every ring the wire forms a kind of stitch, and on the other its two extremities are hammered down separately, presenting the appearance of double riveting. In ordinary mail each riveted ring shows a Bingle rivet head only, as in the haubergeon figured in Skelton's Illustrations of the Goodrich Court Armory, vol. i. pl. xiv. Sir Samuel Meyrick was of opinion that double maille was composed by the interlacement of rings in pairs, not singly, as in ordinary chain mail; and he has described a remarkable example presented by the effigy of Sir Robert de Mauley, formerly at York, of which the fragments are preserved at Goodrich Court. See the Archaeologia, vol. xxxi. p. 238, pl. iii. Another illustration is found in an effigy in Rampton church, Cambridgeshire, figured by Stothard in his Monumental effigies. We hope that future research may enable us to identify with precision the distinctive mode of riveting which constituted the peculiarity described as " de alto clowour."
Last edited by worldantiques on Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ernst
Archive Member

Re: Document: INVENTORY OF OF ROGER DE MORTIMER, 1322

Post by Ernst »

Comment deleted, since the subject has now been changed.
Last edited by Ernst on Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
ferrum ferro acuitur et homo exacuit faciem amici sui
worldantiques
Archive Member

Re: Document: INVENTORY OF OF ROGER DE MORTIMER, 1322

Post by worldantiques »

Ernst, I changed this to THE WILL OF SIR JOHN DE FOXLE, OF APULDREFIELD, KENT. DATED NOVEMBER 5, 1378. I posted an interesting quote on the mail in the will.
Ernst
Archive Member

Re: Document: THE WILL OF SIR JOHN DE FOXLE, 1378

Post by Ernst »

Thank you.

The relevant passages:
Item, lego Thome Payuel nepoti meo equum meum dun, unum habergeon de alto clowour, ac unum basynet largiorem, cum le vyser et aventaille ad eundem, et quinque marcas argenti.
Item, I leave to my grandson, Thomas Payuel, my dun horse, one haubergeon of high-nailing (all riveted), and one larger bascinet, with the visor and aventail to the same, and five marks of silver.

Item, lego Jobanni Fegbelere nepoti meo equum meum vocatum Morelhale, et unum habergeon, unum basynet cum le vyser et aventaille ad eundem, et quatuor marcas argenti.
Item, I leave my grandson, Jobanni Fegbelere my horse called Morelhale, and one haubergeaon, one bascinet with the visor and aventail to the same, and four marks of silver.
worldantiques
Archive Member

Post by worldantiques »

Ernst wrote:one haubergeon of high-nailing (all riveted)
High nailing would accurately describe the difference between the round rivet head and the wedge rivet head which does protrude much higher than round rivet heads.
Ernst
Archive Member

Post by Ernst »

If that's the intent, how would they describe a half-wedge-riveted, half-solid construction, demi-alta-nailing?