How might a tunic worn under mail have been constructed?

To discuss research into and about the middle ages.

Moderator: Glen K

Jonathan Dean
Archive Member

Re: How might a tunic worn under mail have been constructed?

Post by Jonathan Dean »

Randall,

Yeah, there are a lot of variation to take into account and then a lot of repetition. I do intend to give the 15th century pourpoint a go in my preliminary tests and compare it with the 13th century equivalent just for curiosity's sake, and do a test on different weights of fabric (layered to roughly the same total mass) to see how much of a role the weight of the fabric plays in armour.
RandallMoffett
Archive Member

Post by RandallMoffett »

In many ways later evidence is easier to find so that would be an advantage.

Look forward to seeing what you come up with.

RPM
Sean M
Archive Member

Post by Sean M »

RandallMoffett wrote:In many ways later evidence is easier to find so that would be an advantage.

Look forward to seeing what you come up with.

RPM
Well, I have detailed descriptions of construction methods by a participant in the Third Crusade (the Itinerarium Peregrinorum) and from Paris in 1296. So far my earliest sources which give weights or exact numbers of layers are from the 1340s (plus Nicetas Akominatos' description of linen armour used instead of a shield and coat of mail in 1187), but I suspect that a real medievalist with time could push those dates back.
DIS MANIBUS GUILLELMI GENTIS MCLEANUM FAMILIARITER GALLERON DICTI
VIR OMNIBUS ARTIBUS PERITUS
Check out Age of Datini: European Material Culture 1360-1410
RandallMoffett
Archive Member

Post by RandallMoffett »

Sean,

While there are such things my point is the later in the period the more prolific the evidence we have present is relating to this.

I have no doubt there are earlier ones only from my experience fewer in number

RPM
Sean M
Archive Member

Post by Sean M »

RandallMoffett wrote:Sean,

While there are such things my point is the later in the period the more prolific the evidence we have present is relating to this.

I have no doubt there are earlier ones only from my experience fewer in number

RPM
Randall, no doubt. I am excited that you finally have time to publish some of your research!
DIS MANIBUS GUILLELMI GENTIS MCLEANUM FAMILIARITER GALLERON DICTI
VIR OMNIBUS ARTIBUS PERITUS
Check out Age of Datini: European Material Culture 1360-1410
RandallMoffett
Archive Member

Post by RandallMoffett »

I am looking forward to your work as well. You will for certain bring forward info that is likely unheard of by many. I would love to hear the neat info we will pull about early textile garments. Do any of them give clear usage in under or over? Something I'd love to see more evidence for.

I am in the midst of writing the section on the general levy and it is showing itself to be interesting but challenging. So much info of so many different aspects. I have found out things I had never even thought of before. I am hoping to keep the book around 100-150 pages to keep its costs down but might make a website or something for all the data. My data tables for 1300-1500 of how often men were called to military service shows that pretty much every year minus about 15-20 out of 200 years men were called to some type of military activity. Just mind blowing. IN 1322 Edward II has over 100 arrays and the like. The chart is over 200 pages long!

RPM