Re-examining Modern Viking Reenactor Beliefs

To discuss research into and about the middle ages.

Moderator: Glen K

MariaAgrissa
Archive Member

Post by MariaAgrissa »

Ny Bjorn wrote:The Moshchevaya Balka caftans are quite different to the finds from Haithabu. The Hermitage's site have a good photo of one:here. (just click and zoom)

/N B

Yup - that's the fancy silk one. There is quite a bit of variation in cut/materials of the coats found there.

Check out this much more Eastern-style from the same find (at the Metropolitan Museum of Art) - this is the one in the Met's Journal:

http://www.metmuseum.org/toah/ho/06/waa ... 6.78.1.htm

Maria A.S.
Caithlinn
Archive Member

Post by Caithlinn »

Mairi,

Yes, these would be what I would call "caftan" rather than Klappenrock, they have a double layer of fabric overlapping over the chest, but not "crossing", rather on top of each other. The crossing over style (like an X) seen for example in the Oseberg tapestry or Sutton Hoo has probably led to the belief that the so called "jacket" (Klappenrock) was cut like a bathrobe. With the evidence from Haithabu, it is possible to make a jacket that looks that way, but whose center front parts are still cut on the straight, not bias. Hard to explain really, without looking at the artefact (and no, no more ascii), so if it doesn't get any clearer, you'd probably have to wait until my stuff arrives from Australia and I can post some scans...

Sorry,

Caithlinn
Plus faict douceur que violenz
Ny Bjorn
Archive Member

Post by Ny Bjorn »

Here's a scan of how Inga Hägg imagine the garment Caithlinn have in mind.

/N B
Attachments
Klappennew.jpg
Klappennew.jpg (41.46 KiB) Viewed 1398 times

Ny Björn Gustafsson
The Archaeological Research Laboratory
Stockholm University
Mord
Archive Member

Post by Mord »

Ny Bjorn wrote:Christ on a bicycle Mord!
Lamm and Nylén wrote the first title and Lindqvist's books are called "Gotlands Bildsteine" 1 & 2.

Now - write it a hundred times before sunrise... :wink:

/N B

I Razzberry you, Ny Bjorn!. Ok, so I can't spell the title! Now I have to look it up on OCLC (World Cat). I'll order the thing while I'm at it.

Mord.
Thomas Powers
Archive Member

Post by Thomas Powers »

James B please say that as "*SOME* SCA folks will get on you" I've been a member since 1978 and I wouldn't even blink. Real easy to equate *everyone* with the jerks...

Shoot I've know *some* LH types that use a type of metal for their medieval and renaissance stuff that wasn't available till after Levi Jeans were...

Thomas
Caithlinn
Archive Member

Post by Caithlinn »

Here's a scan of how Inga Hägg imagine the garment Caithlinn have in mind.

Yay! You rock Ny Bjorn! Thanks for that, btw, I do remember I know the picture but can't for the life of me not remember WHERE I've seen it. Any clues.....?

Cheers,

Caithlinn
James B.
Archive Member

Post by James B. »

Thomas Powers wrote:James B please say that as "*SOME* SCA folks will get on you" I've been a member since 1978 and I wouldn't even blink. Real easy to equate *everyone* with the jerks...

Right some. I made the edit.
James B.
In the SCA: Master James de Biblesworth
Archer in La Belle Compagnie
Historic Life
T. Finkas
Archive Member

Post by T. Finkas »

Ny Bjorn wrote:Here's a scan of how Inga Hägg imagine the garment Caithlinn have in mind.

/N B

Again, that's awfully close to what Scythian men (300BC?) are pictured as wearing. The Scythian coat does overlap though and seems to have a V neck (bathrobe style but w/o lapels).

Tim
Ny Bjorn
Archive Member

Post by Ny Bjorn »

Caithlinn: It's from an article by Inga; "Vikingatidens kvinnodräkt" in a journal called Historiska nyheter, issue 61 from 1996. It can also be found as PDF here.
Hägg's article is on p. 12-14.

/N B

Ny Björn Gustafsson
Stockholm University
Caithlinn
Archive Member

Post by Caithlinn »

t's from an article by Inga; "Vikingatidens kvinnodräkt" in a journal called Historiska nyheter, issue 61 from 1996.

Doh!

I knew I had seen it somewhere, buy it would have been the last place I'd have thought about. Thanks for reminding me....

Caithlinn
Mord
Archive Member

Post by Mord »

Finally remembered the book that had viking age chains in it:

Hardh, Birgitta. "Wikingerzeitliche Depotfunde as Sudschweden." 1976.

OCLC#: 3725661

Held by: UCLA, UC Berkley, Univ of Chicago, Univ of Kansas, Unvi of Eastern Michigan, Univ of Minnesota, Univ of Missouri, Duke Univ, Princeton Univ, Cornell, Univ of Wisconsin at Madison and Univ of Washington. There are others, one in Texas, Utah, and Virginia (I think Virginia Tech)

The chains you will find in this book are made of silver for the most part.

Mord.
Giano
Archive Member

Post by Giano »

Cap'n Atli wrote:But we've got to have belt pouches! How else will we be able to carry our reading glasses, driving glasses, heart medications and cell 'phones on the field?

Handbags.

I do a Roman soldier impression and there is precious little evidence for any type of belt pouches there (a leather pouch with fastening from Drenthe that is probably civilian, several similar pieces from En Gedi that may or may not have had the same fastening originally, and a few sculptures that probably show writing tablets tucked into the belt). So I made a set of bags based on finds from En Gedi and carry my stuff in my hand. Works fine, once you get into the habit of not leaving it lying around.
I'm sure you can find some kind of bag or basket for the Viking age?
crazysaxon
Archive Member

Post by crazysaxon »

hey guthroth,

you were saying"Comments about Vikings going to Byzantium and 'bringing their armour home' are not very likely. Byzantine armies were organised with depots and the troops issued with equipment from stores. IMO the chances of an ex-Varangian bringing home is Lamellar armour are about as likely as a modern US army regular being allowed to bring his rifle and body armour home when his time was served. "

But (sorry for going way off topic) i foud that Quarter masters now are very easy to bribe(ie:a bottle of 12 year old scotch i traided to a british Qm for some body armour) as i am shure they were 1000 years ago. So i am shure that it would have been possible.

And also as far as i uderstand the norse were traiding and raiding all over the place(ie: finds and pictures of Anglo-saxons in danish or swedish pattern armor). As well as the possibillities of trade via the silk road, with asian cultures who used a lammellar armur. Just want to say that one of the things i was tought in university is that becouse somthing can not be proven with solid archelogical evedance, dosnt mean it is any less possible or fesable.

wow i make no sense :lol:
Wyrd bith fel-raed
MariaAgrissa
Archive Member

Post by MariaAgrissa »

Agnes Geijer got the "bathrobe" cut from Sassanid riding coats found at Antinoe, Egypt (which she restored in the 1960's). She called them "Skaramangions" - "Persian riding coats", and she is the one who linked that style of coat with the find at Birka (see her article, "An Iranian Riding Coat Reconstructed"; Bulletin de Liaison du Centre International d'Aetude des Textiles Anciens; 1968)

There is evidence that the Sassanid cavalry 'uniform' influenced Early Byzantine court fashion considerably - especially in the adoption of trousers, riding coats and short cloaks. These coats are also listed in the literary sources as being given to soldiers as part of their yearly pay (including foreign soldiers), and to ambassadors and other foreign dignitaries as gifts. The green silk caftan found at the M. Balkan site was made of Sassanid silk, silk which was already at least 100 years old when the coat was made - another link to the Sassanids (even after 100 years).

Other material finds at Birka are very similar to Sassanid pieces, especially the belt mounts. The little heart-shaped ones, in particular, are shown in the bas-reliefs at Taq-i-Bastan on the belts of the royalty and other places (worn upside down from the modern heart-shape). Sets of extant Sassanid belt mounts are very similar to other Birka examples.

The riding coats of this type are found made completely in figured silk (including the M. Balkan coat, a child's coat from the Silk Road from this time period - now in the Cleveland Museum of Art), but also found in wool and in linen, trimmed with figured silk. The Antinoe coats were trimmed along the seams and along the edges, which would put the trimmings along the cross-over front, just like the pieces found at Birka.

The newest source re: the Antinoe riding coats is Riding Costume in Egypt: Origin and Appearance (Studies in Textile and Contume History, 3) edited by Cacilia Fluck/Gillian Vogelsang-Eastwood (Brill Publishers, December 2003), for those who are interested.

The point is that these types of cross-over front coats were being worn all over the world during the period and before. The style of the coat evolves, but to those of us who have been studying the coat in the wider world context, that Birka cross-over front find was a screaming red flag for a riding coat.

Maria A.S.
MariaAgrissa
Archive Member

Post by MariaAgrissa »

Timothy_D_Finkas wrote:
Ny Bjorn wrote:Here's a scan of how Inga Hägg imagine the garment Caithlinn have in mind.

/N B

Again, that's awfully close to what Scythian men (300BC?) are pictured as wearing. The Scythian coat does overlap though and seems to have a V neck (bathrobe style but w/o lapels).

Tim

Scythian, Palmyran, Sassanid...

The other reason why they are described as being like a bathrobe is that they close with a tie underneath, like a modern bathrobe.

Maria A.S.
Ny Bjorn
Archive Member

Post by Ny Bjorn »

Maria - I do not dispute your interpretation, and there are proofs for some kind of fold-over coat among the finds from Björkö - but the find refered above isn't from Björkö, it's from Haithabu. The Björkö finds are of a more secondary nature since the textiles aren't very well preserved, I my self was pretty upset the first time I studied them closer - most of them are smaller than stamps, there's a lot of air in many of the "garments" that was worn suposedly by people in Birka...
In the Björkö finds the interpretation of their basic outlines are pretty much based on where the metal trims, possaments etc is located, i.e. Hjalmar Stolpes drawings from the 1870 - 80's.

At Haithabu the waterlogged conditions have preserved much more. The fragment mentioned above was found in the settlement area and is interesting from many points of view; one is that there might even be traces of buttons on it, or rather there are evenly placed spots along the front where the fabric is ripped as if it have had buttons that in terms have been ripped of. I attach a drawing of the fragment taken from Inga Hägg's "Die Textilfunde aus der Siedlung und aus den Gräbern von Haithabu : Beschreibung und Gliederung" (Abb 21).

This illustrates the real danger that lies in taking finds from one findspot for to interpret seemingly similar finds elsewhere..

/N B
Attachments
S-28.jpg
S-28.jpg (97.26 KiB) Viewed 452 times
Last edited by Ny Bjorn on Sun Feb 13, 2005 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ny Björn Gustafsson
Stockholm University
Michael B
Archive Member

Post by Michael B »

Another worthwhile discussion that very much deserves its own thread!
Ny Bjorn
Archive Member

Post by Ny Bjorn »

Oh - indeed!

Sorry about the threadnapping Tim

/N B

Ny Björn Gustafsson
Stockholm University
guthrothr
Archive Member

Post by guthrothr »

crazysaxon wrote:Just want to say that one of the things i was tought in university is that becouse somthing can not be proven with solid archelogical evedance, dosnt mean it is any less possible or fesable.

Hi

your comment is true, but within mainstream re-enactment - as opposed to the SCA - re-enactors are expected to be able to prove their case and not exist on possible or feasible.

There do exist areas in which extrapolation is acceptable, such as Viking-age trousers, but generally if you are to make an honest presentation then everything you wear have or do should be supported by some evidence. If you have to wear something that can't be justified by archeology then:
a) you need to have some other solid evidence from the period (the sagas don't count for this as they were all written down hundreds of years after the events described).
b) you need to be able to make a coherant case to explain your position.

Anyway, if we stick to the evidenvce, as far as I am aware, there is NO evidence AT ALL from AYWHERE of Byzantine lamellar in Scandanavia. Tibetan or Khazak lamellar, yes, but not Byzantine.
Guthroth Of Colanhomm

"Have Sword, Will Travel..."

www.vikingsna.org
Mord
Archive Member

Post by Mord »

guthrothr wrote:
crazysaxon wrote:Just want to say that one of the things i was tought in university is that becouse somthing can not be proven with solid archelogical evedance, dosnt mean it is any less possible or fesable.

Hi

your comment is true, but within mainstream re-enactment - as opposed to the SCA - re-enactors are expected to be able to prove their case and not exist on possible or feasible.

There do exist areas in which extrapolation is acceptable, such as Viking-age trousers, but generally if you are to make an honest presentation then everything you wear have or do should be supported by some evidence. If you have to wear something that can't be justified by archeology then:
a) you need to have some other solid evidence from the period (the sagas don't count for this as they were all written down hundreds of years after the events described).
b) you need to be able to make a coherant case to explain your position.

Anyway, if we stick to the evidenvce, as far as I am aware, there is NO evidence AT ALL from AYWHERE of Byzantine lamellar in Scandanavia. Tibetan or Khazak lamellar, yes, but not Byzantine.

For someone who likes to slam the SCA for being inauthentic, I have noticed that you lack a certain amount of documentation. I'm willing to believe you, but I can't. What are your sources? Where do we find them? What is the speciality of your archaeologist friend--and what is this persons name?

The SCA is not perfect, but there are those of us in the Society who do name their sources. Why can't you?

Mord.
sarnac
Archive Member

Post by sarnac »

where would one find the puttee's that were referenced in this thread?

I am assuming Military surplus....but I have looked and they are mostly modern stuff.
T. Finkas
Archive Member

Post by T. Finkas »

Ny Bjorn wrote:Oh - indeed!

Sorry about the threadnapping Tim

/N B

Hey, it all seems to be on-topic! Say, is there a Viking forum online anywhere that concentrates on this stuff?

Skoal,
Tim
guthrothr
Archive Member

Post by guthrothr »

For someone who likes to slam the SCA for being inauthentic, I have noticed that you lack a certain amount of documentation. I'm willing to believe you, but I can't. What are your sources? Where do we find them? What is the speciality of your archaeologist friend--and what is this persons name?

The SCA is not perfect, but there are those of us in the Society who do name their sources. Why can't you?

Mord.

The source for which bit ?

If you mean the Tibetan/Khazak lamellar, that was referenced by an article that Halvgrim had translated and posted to his personal webspace. the reference to that was very early in this thread.

If you my comment:

but within mainstream re-enactment - as opposed to the SCA - re-enactors are expected to be able to prove their case and not exist on possible or feasible

I'm sorry you feel that I was slamming. It's just a fact of life. I know a number of individual SCA-ers who's presentation is first class and better than some I see at UK events. The difference is that the SCA doesn't require that level of proof, and 'could have' or 'might have' while a common and acceptable excuse in the SCA is not acceptable in re-enactment.

If that isn't it, please explain which piece of my comment are you on about ?

Guthroth of Colanhomm
SCA member and working to try to save my shire going down the pan.
Garth
Archive Member

Post by Garth »

Timothy_D_Finkas wrote:
Hey, it all seems to be on-topic! Say, is there a Viking forum online anywhere that concentrates on this stuff?

Skoal,
Tim

Likely a few. But here's where a number of us hang out-

http://www.jomsb.org/forum/

All Vikings, All the time. :-)

Garth
T. Finkas
Archive Member

Post by T. Finkas »

sarnac wrote:where would one find the puttee's that were referenced in this thread?

I am assuming Military surplus....but I have looked and they are mostly modern stuff.

Sarnac,

You could purchase WWI puttees as repros from many fine companies, but you would be more or less limited to Olive Drab or French Blue for colors. And the French Blue (ala Horizon Blue) wool is so costly, the puttees are likely to be more expensive than if you made some out of common wool. I could list some sompanies for you, but you would be better off just buying a couple of yards of wool and making your own. If you don't sew, approach anybody with basic sewing skills and they should be able to handle the task.

Or try E-Bay, like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... eName=WDVW

Cheers,
Tim
The Dislexic Agnostic doubted the existence of Dog.
Karl
Archive Member

Post by Karl »

I just finished an interesting fiction novel about the Danish occupation of England called "The Last Kingdom" by Bernard Cornwell. It's described in detail here: Amazon.com

I'm not much for Cornwell's work, as I think it's exactly this type of fiction that feeds anachronistic reenactments, but he makes many, many references to silver arm torcs.

The only silver arm torcs I know of (and forgive me, for I am no researcher) are those at the Viking Heritage site. Like these:

[img]http://viking.hgo.se/db_search/ImageBank/Bilddatabas/000018.jpg[/img]

Part of the 1997 treasure from Ocksarve. Two treasures have previously been found on the farm's property. The 1997 treasure will be displayed at Gotland's Historical Museum. It weighs about 3 kg and consists of a couple of hundred coins but mostly of silver pieces and raw material. The coins originate mainly from Germany, but there are some from Denmark, England, Italy, Bohemia, and the Byzantine Empire. The coins dates the hoard to 999 A.D.

http://viking.hgo.se/db_search/Search.php?db=Bilddatabas.fp5&type=Artefacts

What's the general consensus on arm torcs for reenactors? Would there be one or two worn or would there be several for a warrior a-vikingr?

Thank you,
Karl
Mord
Archive Member

Post by Mord »

guthrothr wrote:

Mord.

The source for which bit ?

If you mean the Tibetan/Khazak lamellar, that was referenced by an article that Halvgrim had translated and posted to his personal webspace. the reference to that was very early in this thread.

If you my comment:

but within mainstream re-enactment - as opposed to the SCA - re-enactors are expected to be able to prove their case and not exist on possible or feasible

I'm sorry you feel that I was slamming. It's just a fact of life. I know a number of individual SCA-ers who's presentation is first class and better than some I see at UK events. The difference is that the SCA doesn't require that level of proof, and 'could have' or 'might have' while a common and acceptable excuse in the SCA is not acceptable in re-enactment.

If that isn't it, please explain which piece of my comment are you on about ?

Guthroth of Colanhomm
SCA member and working to try to save my shire going down the pan.

Let me begin with the lamellar. Halvgrim has explained that--you haven't. You said, eariler, you have archaeologist friend--who? What's their speciality? I've been on a dig-- that doens't make me an expert on archaeology.

Trousers--everybody else is looking at the pictorial information from the what I suspect is the Gotland Stones. I named my source (even if I did mis-spell the title).

Gotta go...

Mord.
guthrothr
Archive Member

Post by guthrothr »

Let me begin with the lamellar. Halvgrim has explained that--you haven't. You said, eariler, you have archaeologist friend--who? What's their speciality? I've been on a dig-- that doens't make me an expert on archaeology.

Trousers--everybody else is looking at the pictorial information from the what I suspect is the Gotland Stones. I named my source (even if I did mis-spell the title).

I didn't say I had proof of anything. The article on Halvgrimr site - not his, and not mine - clearly says the finds from Birka are East Asian (Khazarin origin. I simply said that as far as I know there is no evidence for Byzantine Lamellar in Scandanavia. I'm sorry, but can't name a source for non-evidence.

Trousers. The runestones show trousers, but as someone else has already pointed out dating them is very difficult and some are definitely pre-Viking. However, since they are shown in pictures in literature their use is easily explained.

Does this explain my post ? If not, then clearly I don't quite understand the point you are trying to make. Sorry.
Guthroth Of Colanhomm

www.vikingsna.org
Robert P. Norwalt
Archive Member

Post by Robert P. Norwalt »

Apparently the guy who made the comment about not bringing stuff home from Byzantine service, has never been a soldier, or been a soldier where "souvenir" collecting was against the rules.

I personally came home with ('78-94) "TA-50" from every place I served. Some of which was obsolete by our own issue within my terms of service. Radio's, tents, weapons (blade, not firing) canteens, cases, pouches, maps, food, boots, flashlights, you name it. And other shit I won some in poker games, and fights with guy's from places I didn't serve. I found rounds from the Korean war, in pork chop hill, that were 30 years old when I stumbled on em while out serveying combat sites.

I had stuff from, Japan, Germany, Egypt, Checkoslavokia (sp), Honduras, Granada, Panama, Korea, Hong Kong, etc. Jeez! Your could walk down to the ville and pick up ANYTHING you lacked from entreching tool to gamma-goat, for clearing in Yangsan, for a 10th of the price of "reissue".

Hell to go a "Viking" *was* blackmarketing wasn't it? I had German and Japanese stuff that I got lagit, from the Army-Navy surplus store in Indy back in the late 60's early 70's, (Vietnam vets looking for dope money) ,...(Corner of Washington and State Streets) when I was just a 10-15 year old kid.

Where folks so different back then? Before politically correct America? Cut it out kiddy's. Yer dealing with grown up's here. :D :D

I said all that to say this. I'm still wearing lamellar.
Mord
Archive Member

Post by Mord »

guthroth wrote:Hi

The are covered by this thread is probably big enough to warrant several different ones, but here's my opinion.

[*]LAMELLAR- Lamellar is out. There's no solid evidence of it's use by Norse during the period.

Can't argue with that one. The finds from Birka are very interesting but according to an archeologist friend, they come from a portion of the burial ground which was used by people with a lot of VERY non-Scandanavian burial practices. When this evidence is combined with the newly translated article on Halvgrimr's webspace which places the location of the manufacture of the Birka lames in Tibet or Siberia, the idea of Vikings running around in Lamellar is just not tenable.

Comments about Vikings going to Byzantium and 'bringing their armour home' are not very likely. Byzantine armies were organised with depots and the troops issued with equipment from stores. IMO the chances of an ex-Varangian bringing home is Lamellar armour are about as likely as a modern US army regular being allowed to bring his rifle and body armour home when his time was served.

[*]BIG BELT POUCHES- No large belt pouches. Purses were small, probably used for money, and may or may not have been worn exposed on the belt.

Finds from Denmark and Sweden suggest they may have been worn as a high status display item, rather than as a viking-age handbag. They certainly were never worn with armour. When moving about a LH site a shoulder bag is actually a more practical item, and that does have room for snack food like apples as well. Any worn should be based on the ones from archeology, and not the modern thick leather 'box' style. I just wish we could persuade the traders not to sell the blasted things.

[*]GAMBESONS- No evidence of gambesons worn under the mail or gambesons worn alone ar armour.

Again, despite the very persuasive argument that they must have worn something under a ring shirt I can't really disagree. The only direct evidence for them in N Europe is post 1st Crusade, and all the modern words we use have a southern European origin. Personally, I believe that the existance of padded armour in warmer climates was bought about by:
1) the need to protect against an enemy who used lots of archery and slashing swords
2) the need to have a decent layer of protection over the top of the very thin - silk and cotton - clothing normally worn in warmer climes

Again just my opinion, but I reckon the reasons the North never developed them are
1) they are of limited value against the main weapon of the free warrior - the heavy thrusting spear
2) simply putting on 3 or 4 homespun woolen kyrtles will provide almost as much protection and will be warmer.

[*]HATS-Only scant evidence for hats. They might not have commonly worn them. Only depiction of hats in period iconography can also be explained as helms. Most hat styles worn by re-enactors are suspect. No evidence for fur trim on hats.

Hats are Ok, it's the style that is causing the problem. If you need or want one I reccomend a simple 'skull-cap' design maybe with some simple embroidery around the edge. Neat not gaudy. The Gotland ones - again - seem to be taking the style to it's extreme and may have been influenced by fashions from elsewhere.

[*]HIGH BOOTS- No calf-high boots, though every other re-enactor in "Vikings...Photographs" seems to be wearing them.

The highest adult footwear found come up to about mid-calf and (IIRC) have 1 fixing just above the foot. The oft-worn sea boots apparently come from the mis-interpretation and photocopier enlargement of a drawing childs boot.

[*]WIDE BELTS- Belt width was fairly narrow, with the average being 0.75".

Again, this is what all the archeology says. I think we've now finally buried the idea of carved weightlifting belts being worn as 'armour'.

[*]DECK TENTS- "Viking" tents with solid frames being used on land very suspect, having been drawn from one example that is part of a ship burial. It's the frame that's suspect---not the use of tents.

The traditional re-enactment Viking tent is well supported by the major finds, but probably should really only be for Kings or Jarls. I use hollywood references very sparingly, but for something more appropriate to a warrior on campaign, there is a very short sequence in the LOTR 3 film where they are riding through the camp of the Rohirrim and they pass a number of small tents with a raised front and a low back, about big enough for one or two men. They are very similar to a style of tents still being used by fishermen on the Lofoten Is in the 19thC and would make a useful counterpoint to the big 'Kings' tent.

[*]SWORD BELT- swords believed to have been carried on baldics not waist belts.

Agreed. the chest strap also helps hold the armour in place when running and it is easier to wear a baldric when riding a horse as well.

[*]WOMEN'S APRONS- the overdress was for many years a straight tube. It has been reinterpreted as a tapered tube (ala the Birka Valkerie figural plate).

Not really my area, but generally my view agrees with this.

Michael B added

Splinted limb armour - isn't this based on a Vendel find from well before the Viking period, and perhaps something in the far East?

Right on both cases. The Arm splints from Sweden are pre-Viking and I believe they had been abandoned by the Byzantines by 800 as well.

Baggy trousers aren't found everywhere - hose or narrow trousers seem to be more prevalent.

Ny Bjorn added
Baggy trousers are to be seen on, at least, two Gotlandic picturestones and on a copper alloy figure from Uppåkra (Sweden). And then of course there's the find from Haithabu's harbour, interpreted as parts of a pair of baggy trousers by Inga Hägg in her report on the textile finds

Agree with both. The Baggy trousers appear to be a distinctly Eastern tradition, and seem to be unknown in Norway, Iceland, Danelaw or Ireland. Hose or loose trousers were musch more common, with hose becoming the norm - at least for the moderately wealthy - by the end of the Viking era.

[*]LEG WRAPS- Never worn in a criss-cross fashion but worn in a sprial overlap fashion (just like WWI puttees)

Legwraps - Puttees - Winningas - all the same thing. Ubiquitous in A-S England and optional for Vikings whether they wear trousers or hosen. I think the criss-cross thing is a Frankish custom, rather than Norse. so OK for Normans.

Belts as part of women's dress, at least with metal fittings - I understand that the finds are limited.

Very much a current argument. Apparently very rare in an A-S context, but supported by a very small number of finds in Scotland and Scandanavia. I suspect that a woman working around a fire wore one but, given the variability of a womans waistline they were most probably fabric or tablet woven not leather. If you accept the current theory that Hangeroks were worn only as part of the Viking equivalent of 'Sunday Best',the idea of wearing a belt with a hangerok is even less plausible. Someone dressed to impress would not spend her time stirring the pot, and so wouldn't need to keep it tied back out of the way.

This is very much a modern re-enactor problem, in that all the ladies want the best clothing found, but are then apparently happy to cook while wearing it.

Tortoise shell brooches for every woman, all through the period and everywhere! - I understand that they are more restricted to the earlier parts of the period - 9th C?

Apparently more common than previously believed, but definately going out of fashion at the end of the 9thC. Their decline may have been linked to the Christianisation of the Norse, especially relevant given the latest find of a possibly 9thC Christian church in S Norway.

GeneriVikings, with kit from all over the place (particularly jewellry, belt fittings etc).

Also known as the 'Pick-And-Mix' Viking. We try to get our guys to be consistant with items like this, and have them all from one culture or style. We do allow a single out-of-culture piece, but only if the person wearing it can give a decent explanation - one that would satisfy a member of the public - as to why that piece is so different and how he got hold of it.

James B said

have heard complaints about the rough cut junk amber before. Basicly there is only one find on amber and it was nicelt polished not just chunks on a string like many reenactors and SCA folk wear

I am told that the chunk stuff went out of use about the time of Christ. Apart from those associated with workshops, all Viking-age finds are worked pieces, cut shaped and often polished as well.

Albrecht said

think you could add "Long, dangling belt-ends" to the list

This comes in two types. The SCA-type reaching to the floor are not supported by the archeology, but there is still evidence for belts that reach down to mid thigh in a Viking context. There is some unpublished evidence for metal belt loops being used to tidy the belt up just like we do today, but its adoption as Cannon Law by at least one society the archeologists are still out on this one.

I will add one thing to this thread - Men should not be wearing masses of beads - of any kind.

Grave finds support a pendant on its own - which could be amber, jet, (or any other semiprecious stone) or pewter, bronze or silver - or maybe a metal pendant with one or two beads on the same string but that's all. Otherwise it's the ladies who wear all the good stuff - Sorry Guys :wink:

As a final treat, attached is a photo taken at a Vikings event last weekend in Ontario. It shows Ragnar of Torvik facing an unfeasibly large looking Edward of Wynmerestow. Someone has already commented on how it looks much more like David vs Goliath :shock:

Kindly read your first paragraph of your first post, Guthroth. Your archaeologist friend seems to have a lot to say. But who this person?

In fact, your first post doesn't quote or name any sources that anybody can use. The only folks you do quote are on this list.

In short, you don't document your sources, Guthroth.

Now, this is a list where anybody can post anything they want, but your arguement would carry more weight if you named your sources. Where are you getting your ideas from?

I was one of the people who noticed that Gotland Stones were considered pre-Viking. I named my sources; here they are again: "Gotlands Bildstinne" by Holmqvist (sorry the title is mis-spell) and "Stones, Ships and Symbols" by Nylam.

Btw, I should point out that the Gotland Stones are NOT Rune stones: they are picture stones. If you want read about rune stones, look at Birgit Sawyer's book or the RI Page's "Chronicles of the Vikings."

The Gotland Picture Stones are unique to Gotland, as far as I know. This means whatever clothing that is seen on them can only be docuemented to Gotland. What the rest of the "Viking World" wore is another question, and some of those questions can not be answered.

Mord.
guthrothr
Archive Member

Post by guthrothr »

Sir Mord wrote:Kindly read your first paragraph of your first post, Guthroth. Your archaeologist friend seems to have a lot to say. But who this person?

In fact, your first post doesn't quote or name any sources that anybody can use. The only folks you do quote are on this list.

My apologies.

I fully intended to come back and post the book concerned. It is:

Birka: The Burial Customs - A Study of the Graves on Bjorko
(A-.S.Graslund)

I was quoted from it, and have subsequently ordered it for my own use.

The archeologist concerned is a personal friend who works in the North of England full time as a site leader. I would rather not name him here, as his access to the net is limited and he cannot speak or defend his opinions on his own behalf.
Guthroth Of Colanhomm

www.vikingsna.org
Mord
Archive Member

Post by Mord »

guthrothr wrote:
Sir Mord wrote:Kindly read your first paragraph of your first post, Guthroth. Your archaeologist friend seems to have a lot to say. But who this person?

My apologies.

I fully intended to come back and post the book concerned. It is:

Birka: The Burial Customs - A Study of the Graves on Bjorko
(A-.S.Graslund)

I was quoted from it, and have subsequently ordered it for my own use.

The archeologist concerned is a personal friend who works in the North of England full time as a site leader. I would rather not name him here, as his access to the net is limited and he cannot speak or defend his opinions on his own behalf.

I own a xerox. You want a copy of a copy? The book is mostly text. PM me your snail-mail address if so.

Btw, the Lindqvist book is "Gotlands Bildsteine" published 1941-1942 (a multi-volume work). OCLC# 16676307 (OCLC is also called "World Catalog).

Mord.
Last edited by Mord on Mon Feb 14, 2005 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
T. Finkas
Archive Member

Post by T. Finkas »

Robert P. Norwalt wrote:...Where folks so different back then? Before politically correct America? Cut it out kiddy's. Yer dealing with grown up's here. :D :D

I said all that to say this. I'm still wearing lamellar.

Yeah, folks were a lot different---or so it seems. What makes you think they were so much like we are today (so-called political correctness aside)? I'm not trying to pick a fight, Robert, but the oft-seen Scottsman/Pirate/Ninja wearing a kilt and wielding a katana and a madu uses the same arguement (more or less) as you have. I guess the problem that some folks might voice is that such an assertion as you have made (i.e. a warrior's kit might be composed of souvenirs he brought home from campaigns in foreign lands) does not seem to be suported by any evidence, only supposition.

If you can live with such a degree of supposition and license, then by all means go for it. Each person or organization must decide what level of documentation or evidence they feel is proper, reasonable and comfortable. As I have said previously, I am personally comfortable with a certain amount of variance, supposition and artistic license from what is known and documentable. If I join in a group or event that has a different point-of-view, I will be obliged to bow to their sensibilities.

I love lamellar and have always wanted some. But at this rate, I feel like I would be more comfortable using lamellar only for an impression where it seems likely to have been used, as opposed to making excuses for wearing it for an impression where it would be speculative at best. But that's me.

Skoal,
Tim
Robert P. Norwalt
Archive Member

Post by Robert P. Norwalt »

Hey ya Timothy.

Tim wrote ,..."does not seem to be supported by ANY EVIDENCE, only supposition". (emphasis mine*)

***I'm not fighting with you either friend Tim. I'm a American blacksmith/bladesmith who reads a little. Been playing early period stuff in many venue's for a good 15 years. On some topics I have studied for decades, but not claiming any expert knowledge of things Viking. Still don't have it right. Doesn't make me anything but a good conversation around a campfire.

But I think, ...as a laymen, 700 + lames of lamella in Birka is evidence enough to support me wearing lamellae armour in Pictland, much less two blocks over from the actual dig. All near retirement tenyered scholars reading this just shit their britches. All SCA haters just got some superb ammo.

I love history but I'm not, nor ever will be a true historian. I have other stuff to do, and have many friends in the SCA who cannot afford either the time or money to shear a sheep of the correct breed. Spin the wool himself on the exact replica spindle. Dye it, with period dye's, in a period cauldron, on a period grate, and weave it on a period loom. And on and on the LH thing goes. I applaud the efforts of those courageous souls who can do this. When it comes to blade work, I try at times to get a little anal like that, but then again the rent comes due and I make some crap to thrill a LARPer.

One guy said, something about Verangians not likely bringing home gear, and I think that's a load of horse-shit. Sorry, just a matter of opinion, but I think a soldier in 700 is much like one now. Cultures have difference, and time changes things, but human nature is pretty much set. Ever watch antiques road-show? I've seen Greek armour in Centerville Indiana. *?*
I don't care what part of which graveyard it was found in, how it was arranged in the tomb, or if the DNA don't match the grave five rows down. It's a piece of lamella armour in a known Viking town. Vikings raided and settled in Pictland, and I'm portraying a Pict, so I'm wearing lamellar, and that's that. I'm cool with you disagreeing on that.

Now mind you I'm not the Pro Xena-intergalactic-ninja-samurai-Celtic-Tuchuk-Orc from Mordor, but I lean towards what is the most probable course of historical action. (No offense to anyone who is) You LH types change yer minds about every two weeks on the exact *evidence* anyway, and to be quite honest, we quasi-authentic SCAers, are wanting to look good for SCA fighting have a hard time keeping up with it. Plus, a mind to protection, and getting to work monday morning in one piece. Put all these things together and you have Oengus Lok Cruithni in White Mountain Armoury lamellar, and proud of it.

If you can live with such a degree of supposition and license, then by all means go for it. Each person or organization must decide what level of documentation or evidence they feel is proper, reasonable and comfortable. As I have said previously, I am [i][b]personally[/b][/i] comfortable with a certain amount of variance, supposition and artistic license from what is known and documentable. If I join in a group or event that has a different point-of-view, I will be obliged to bow to their sensibilities.

***Oh. Me too. I've been hanging with a strict LH Roman outfit who need Gallic enemy's, and that's right up my ally. And when I am with them I don't even mention the SCA, or anything I do in the venue/hobby. But one thing I know,...It'll take me a few years to get the kit I need up to snuff.

I love lamellar and have always wanted some. But at this rate, I feel like I would be more comfortable using lamellar [b][i]only[/i][/b] for an impression where it seems likely to have been used, as opposed to making excuses for wearing it for an impression where it would be speculative at best. But that's me.

*** I suppose what you see as speculative I see as probable and plausible, but I maintain that for the venue where I play the most, (SCA) it is above average in attitude and actual portrayal. :wink: :) :idea:
Charles O'Connor

Post by Charles O'Connor »

So, what is the state of the current opion on what would have been worn at the Viking courts of Dublin or Yorvic?
Charles O'Connor