Re-examining Modern Viking Reenactor Beliefs

To discuss research into and about the middle ages.

Moderator: Glen K

Mord
Archive Member

Post by Mord »

Charles O'Connor wrote:So, what is the state of the current opion on what would have been worn at the Viking courts of Dublin or Yorvic?

If I remember correctly (and I apologize for not having good citations here), Jorvik and Dublin (Woodquay) were not grave digs but site or settlement digs. Probably not a lot of textiles found. However, a nalbound "sock" (more like a slipper) was found at Jorvik. Richard Hall's book has a good photo of it. There is a book, "Textiles and cordage of Jorvik" that was published a few years ago.

I've heard nothing about textile and Woodquay. Let me putter around with it, and see what I can find.

BTW, are objects still being found in Dublin/Woodquay?

Mord.
Michael B
Archive Member

Re: Re-examining Modern Viking Reenactor Beliefs

Post by Michael B »

This discussion has generated a lot of great points, but I'm sad to see some of the recent developments.

At the risk of re-defining the original issue (sorry if I'm wrong, Tim), it was intended to identify assumptions about Viking dress etc. previously made by many in the living history/re-enactment community, but which have now been called into question due to lack of actual, published material evidence.

Some posters are probably quite correct in arguing that challenging ideas such as the movement of Byzantine lamellar into the Viking areas indicates an enormous lack of common sense, but this stems from the standard set by the others for themselves, ie. that to "play" with them you should take a close look at whether there is enough positive physical evidence from the period. At its strictest, and rightly or wrongly, such evidence does not usually include common sense about human nature.

So tell us we're wrong because we ignore common sense. Fair enough!

I don't think anyone is condemning people who set their own standards differently, provided that they play by the rules when playing with others. I was deeply saddened by Pete's post about the particular SCA gentlemen at Hastings, as I thought that event was a great example of people from disparate groups and geographical locations working together towards portraying one time and place. I met other SCA people from the US whose kit was far better than many of the locals - they read the kit guide, treated it as a very special occasion and dressed up for the trip knowing they'd be guests in another person's home.

Hope this helps - probably not.

Michael B
Ny Bjorn
Archive Member

Post by Ny Bjorn »

Let us, as Michael wrote, return to the initial theme of this thread. As so many others I think that it, as always, is up to the individual groups to decide what's good and what's bad in their games. That works fine, most of the time.

I my self do Birka 110% BUT I'd never wear lamellar since the, most probably, single piece of armour is so unique. If I wanted I could dress entirely in exceptions, i.e. extraordinary finds that have only been found at Björkö, but what would that place me in a LH situation when visitors at Björkö sees me and assumes that I reflect the generic "viking"?

/N B

Ny Björn Gustafsson
The Archaeological Research Laboratory
Stockholm University
Karl
Archive Member

Post by Karl »

We can reduce the lamellar question even further if it helps: exactly why do Norse re-enactors and/or recreationists even want to wear lamellar armour when we know that chainmail armours are much more prevalent?

Is it just for SCA combat reasons? Is it that lamellar costs less than chainmail?

Does it just look cool? :) I personally think it does but that's just me.

I'll also beg of you for a little reassurance of my own plan.

In my soft kit I plan on wearing the Medieval Design stuff for clothing (naturally). I'll do a spear and seax from Paul Binn in the UK and be done with it unless I can convince the very talented Robert Norwalt to make me a seax and spear. :)

For fighting in the SCA I'm going to commission the Valsgarde 6 armour:

[img]http://home.fuse.net/medieval/valsgard-6.jpg[/img]

My thinking might be simplistic but I figure if I just copy everything I can out of Valsgarde 6 Uppland that I should be okay.

A good plan?

Thanks in advance,
Karl
Josh W
Archive Member

Post by Josh W »

I thought the modern line of thought on that armour was that it was actually splinted greaves that had been improperly assembled as a body armour. There are a handful of folks here in this kingdom who wear what they quaintly term "stave-coats" that I suspect are based on this faulty reconstruction.
"When a land rejects her legends, Sees but falsehoods in the past;
And its people view their Sires in the light of fools and liars,
'Tis a sign of its decline and its glories cannot last."
Karl
Archive Member

Post by Karl »

Damn. :)

but thank you Josh, this is exactly the advice I needed before I ran out and got something wrong. You're the best!

Best regards,
Karl
Griffin
Archive Member

Post by Griffin »

Sir Mord wrote:
Charles O'Connor wrote:So, what is the state of the current opion on what would have been worn at the Viking courts of Dublin or Yorvic?

If I remember correctly (and I apologize for not having good citations here), Jorvik and Dublin (Woodquay) were not grave digs but site or settlement digs. Probably not a lot of textiles found. However, a nalbound "sock" (more like a slipper) was found at Jorvik. Richard Hall's book has a good photo of it. There is a book, "Textiles and cordage of Jorvik" that was published a few years ago.

I've heard nothing about textile and Woodquay. Let me putter around with it, and see what I can find.

BTW, are objects still being found in Dublin/Woodquay?

Mord.

To add on to what Mord said, they are mostly site digs. There is one grave find in York of someone who was cut down through the hip and buried. Jorvik also has a womens silk cap and many leather finds. I know of one book that deals with textiles in Dublin (Viking Age Headcoverings From Dublin). The Textiles and Cordage book is nearly impossible to find for purchase, so ILL would be your best hope.

I dont know about current Dublin finds, but a Viking Age house was uncovered in Cork one year ago.

To answer Charles original question, I portray an 10th century Anglo-Dane, so based on Thora Sharptooth's website and my own research I wear ankle high turnshoes based on a find from Jorvik, narrow wool trousers/trews/leggings, wool leg wraps, knee-length wool tunics with long-sleeves that taper to the wrist, and linen undertunic. I dont put trim on my tunics (personal opinion that there are too many chiefs, not enough indians walking around). 1/2" belt with buckle, end, and keeper. I occasionally wear a simple cap based on a design by Thora. I sometimes wear a cross (It was seriously frowned upon by the Church for Christian merchants to deal with pagans in York). I still need to make my socks.

If I were to fancy things up, here is what I would do. Alternate colored thread on seams and hems instead of trim. Tablet woven trim on tunic (neck and wrist only) and cap. Brocaded tablet woven trim for kingly fancy. Wear a couple beads (I think the most beads found in a mens grave was 5). Thora also mentions that certain areas have prefered colors (red-Danelaw, purple-Ireland). Silk was expensive (1 oz of silk = 2 oz of silver), so I avoid it.
Chris Griffin
SCA: Grimr Einarsson

Seldom in error. Never in doubt.
Mord
Archive Member

Post by Mord »

Karl wrote:We can reduce the lamellar question even further if it helps: exactly why do Norse re-enactors and/or recreationists even want to wear lamellar armour when we know that chainmail armours are much more prevalent?

Is it just for SCA combat reasons? Is it that lamellar costs less than chainmail?

Does it just look cool? :) I personally think it does but that's just me.

I'll also beg of you for a little reassurance of my own plan.

In my soft kit I plan on wearing the Medieval Design stuff for clothing (naturally). I'll do a spear and seax from Paul Binn in the UK and be done with it unless I can convince the very talented Robert Norwalt to make me a seax and spear. :)

For fighting in the SCA I'm going to commission the Valsgarde 6 armour:

[img]http://home.fuse.net/medieval/valsgard-6.jpg[/img]

My thinking might be simplistic but I figure if I just copy everything I can out of Valsgarde 6 Uppland that I should be okay.

A good plan?

Thanks in advance,
Karl

Not a good plan. Ardwiddson was wrong about her assumption that these iron staves were for body armor. There's a article about in Volume X (? I think) of "The Journal of the Arms and Armour Society" that I read years ago. The staves were found in a box near the body, If I remember correctly. Just what these staves were used for are hypothosis, but author of the "Arms and Armour Society" article stated that a reproduction other the supposed body armor was made (no photos of that!) and it was found that the no one could bend over, much less walk while wearing it. Also, the armor tended to slide down the body.

Ardwiddson published this stuff in the 1936 "Acta Archaeologica" and in "Valsgarde 6." The armor is Vendel Period, not viking.

Mord.
Halvgrimr
Billy Bob

Post by Halvgrimr »

Josh and Mord are correct

The stave armour reconstruction is now commonly held to be a set of greaves and a single vambrace. (interesting tidbit, the greaves arent a matching set, one is much 'newer' than the other and the workmanship is a bit more shoddy. Some suggest this means it was hastily made to complete a 'set' for the burial.)

One little note, the stave armour was from the Valsgarde 8 grave not 6.

And I have some input on the modern concepts of taking home 'souvenirs' from the military.
If its military issue and you take it, its stealing, plain and simple, whether you want to see it that way or not.
Yes, its done a lot (hell I know folks who have sensitive parts of high tech weapons on their mantles at home) but that doesn’t make it right.

Two words, name fame.
The Vikes were all about it.
Why risk your name fame to commit petty theft from the armoury?

Oh, and Mord I have know Pete (guthrothr) for some time now and I can assure you that in our private dealings he has never openly slammed the SCA any harder than the average SCA person does;)

And don’t get him started on sources, he can spout them endlessly when he is fired up;)

Halv
Back from vacation;)
Last edited by Halvgrimr on Tue Feb 15, 2005 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Halvgrimr
Billy Bob

Post by Halvgrimr »

I double posted and cant seem to delete this entry so disregard it please.

halv
Mord
Archive Member

Post by Mord »

Halvgrim wrote:Josh and Mord are correct

The stave armour reconstruction is now commonly held to be a set of greaves and a single vambrace. (interesting tidbit, the greaves arent a matching set, one is much 'newer' than the other and the workmanship is a bit more shoddy. Some suggest this means it was hastily made to complete a 'set' for the burial.)

One little note, the stave armour was from the Valsgarde 8 grave not 6.

And I have some input on the modern concepts of taking home 'souvenirs' from the military.
If its military issue and you take it, its stealing, plain and simple, whether you want to see it that way or not.
Yes, its done a lot (hell I know folks who have sensitive parts of high tech weapons on their mantles at home) but that doesn’t make it right.

Two words, name fame.

Oh, and Mord I have know Pete (guthrothr) for some time now and I can assure you that in our private dealings he has never openly slammed the SCA any harder than the average SCA person does;)

And don’t get him started on sources, he can spout them endlessly when he is fired up;)

Halv
Back from vacation;)

Halvgrimr,

Hope your vacation was fun! Of Course I want Guthrothr to talk about sources! That's one of the reasons why I'm here. I do understand what he is talking about--the generic viking-type. That's why I like to document: if only differentiate between different parts of the so-called "Viking Culture." I may not be able to make the physical objects of those differences, but I want to understand and be able to explain them.

Mord.
Robert P. Norwalt
Archive Member

Post by Robert P. Norwalt »

[quote="Karl"]

,...unless I can convince the very talented Robert Norwalt to make me a seax and spear. :)

You flaterer you! [/quote] :oops: :oops: :oops:

You got pic's of the exact blades? We'll hook something up.
MariaAgrissa
Archive Member

Post by MariaAgrissa »

Two words, name fame.

Of course, soldiers in the Byzantine army were issued clothes & equipment as part of their yearly pay. At least, I know for certain that they were issued the clothes! So why wouldn't they have taken their own belongings home with them?

Maria A.S.
Halvgrimr
Billy Bob

Post by Halvgrimr »

Of course, soldiers in the Byzantine army were issued clothes & equipment as part of their yearly pay. At least, I know for certain that they were issued the clothes! So why wouldn't they have taken their own belongings home with them?

Maria A.S.

--As are soldiers today (issued gear and clothes)
How many of them LEGITIMATELY take home ISSUED protective armour and weapons?

Halv
Tom Knighton
Doesn't Care

Post by Tom Knighton »

I only have one question on the matter of the Norse serving the Byzantine's taking home equipment.

How much definitively Byzantine equipement of a military nature, armour or weapons, have been found in Norse archaeological sites?

Tom
"WHERE ANGELS AND MARINES FEAR TO TREAD, THERE YOU'LL FIND A CORPSMAN DEAD."

Written by a Marine on the back of a dead Corspman's shirt in August of 1942.

I am humbled to have been able to call myself one of them.
Charles O'Connor

Re-examining Modern Viking Reenactor Beliefs

Post by Charles O'Connor »

I would consider it a major leap of faith to assume the logistics of the Byzantine Army resemble those of the current U.S. Army. (If anyone knows of a write up on their logistic system, I would be most interested.) But even if they did, the current practice is one of widespread getting around the laws and regulations. As a museum director for the Army, I can assure you that soldiers are regularly bring back things from deployments that would make your toes curl. We only know about the small number that are caught. It is far more reasonable to assume the soldier mentality is comparable than the logistic system is. There is also a diffusion issue. Once a soldier sees something that works, he is likely to want it, even if his "nation" does not adapt it. Finally, would the name fame of a Viking be more enhanced by telling the people back home that he carefully turned in all he was issued, or by showing the item he wore while killing thousands…
Charles O'Connor
Halvgrimr
Billy Bob

Post by Halvgrimr »

I am simply amazed at the sheer amount of reaching that is going on.
Tom's question should settle this matter.

Tom, my two cents are that there are NO extant pieces of BYZANTINE lamellar from Norse finds. As for other equipment I dont know but I am willing to bet its a small amount if any.

Next we will be seeing folks who 'served in Byzantium' carrying sabres as well since its documentable that the Rus had such weapons and they were of course in service to the Emperor so EVERYONE would have had access to them right?

Halv
Halvgrimr
Billy Bob

Post by Halvgrimr »

We only know about the small number that are caught. It is far more reasonable to assume the soldier mentality is comparable than the logistic system is. There is also a diffusion issue. Once a soldier sees something that works, he is likely to want it, even if his "nation" does not adapt it.

I must have edited this post a dozen times or more.
In the end I think its just best to stay with this comment on the whole thing to avoid any bruised egos.

For those that want to believe it was in use what is the overwhelming source for Vikes using lamellar?

I am looking for hard proof of the wide use of lamellar during the period of 793-1066 by Scandinavians, Norwegians, Icelanders, Danes, or anyone in the UK.

I sure cant find any and Ive looked, hard.
So if anyone has this missing piece of info please provide it and end this silly debate.

As a reenactor it isnt my job to prove something didnt exist (though God knows I waste entirely to much time doing so;), its my duty to prove what did exist (especially if I want to use it) and I can't do so on this subject.

I am certainly not an expert on the subject, and there are those on this board that are more knowlegeable than I on the subject, but then again they seem to mostly agree with what I am saying;)

Halv
Rollo
Archive Member

Post by Rollo »

Tom Knighton wrote:I only have one question on the matter of the Norse serving the Byzantine's taking home equipment.

How much definitively Byzantine equipement of a military nature, armour or weapons, have been found in Norse archaeological sites?

Tom

how many pants have been found? How many helmets of any type?
Halvgrimr
Billy Bob

Post by Halvgrimr »

2 pairs of pants (maybe more as this isnt my area) and only a half dozen or so Viking Age helmets.

But the question is a red herring anyway, both helms and pants commonly depicted in art and literary sources, lamellar isnt.

Halv
guthrothr
Archive Member

Post by guthrothr »

rollo wrote:how many pants have been found? How many helmets of any type?

The pants issue has been discussed. Finds are very limited, but they are profusely illustrated. Same applies to helmets.

Please, don't attempt to muddy the debate by going off topic.
Guthroth Of Colanhomm

"Have Sword, Will Travel..."

www.vikingsna.org
Tom Knighton
Doesn't Care

Post by Tom Knighton »

rollo wrote:
Tom Knighton wrote:I only have one question on the matter of the Norse serving the Byzantine's taking home equipment.

Tom

how many pants have been found? How many helmets of any type?

Enough to prove that the norse had and made helmets. There is also plent of evidence supporting the use of pants, artistic and literary that it's irrelavent if any have been found.

Without proof that something was used by the norse, a norse reenactor can't, or at least shouldn't, be using that thing. Without some definative proof that byzantine equipment made it to the norse homelands, then reenactors should abstain from it's usage. Period. End of story. At least they should if they care about the authenticity of the era they are trying to reenact.

And before someone brings up the SCA, let me point out that the SCA rules permit someone with a norse persona to wear 15th Century plate, something we all KNOW was unavailable to him (unless 13th Warrior counts as documentation ;) ), so whatever extrapolations you wish to make is fine within the context of your group. Reenactors (not recreationists) are supposed to function within tighter guidelines. It doesn't mean that we are doing it right, only that we are doing it with less freedom to extrapolate many things.

On the issue of Byzantine equipment coming home with norsemen who had served the Emporer, keep in mind that to compare the modern anything with anything medieval is pointless. It was a different time, and people WERE different in many ways. Some better, some worse. To simply assume that soldier X did this because Y modern soldier did something is a falicy. I will conceed that it is indeed possible that norsemen took lamellar from the Byzantine Empire home with them. But without proof, reenactors should steer as far clear of that as humanly possible.

Just my two cents.

Tom

Robert P. Norwalt
Archive Member

[quote="Halvgrim"]Tom, my two cents are that there are NO extant pieces of BYZANTINE lamellar from Norse finds. As for other equipment I dont know but I am willing to bet its a small amount if any.

*** Hi Rob. Not hamstringin' ya, just asking. So my idea is,..??? Great. So it ain't Byzanine. So then? IF the 700+ plus lames found in and around Birka were not Byzantine, where DID they come from, (Somerset England? Vendal, Carlisle? Sarmation leftovers?) if the Norse weren't using them? Hummm? You figure they just had armour laying around, in a GARRISON BUILDING, and thought enough of it to take care of it, but they didn't use it? I don't buy that for a second. Okay then. Whoever the guy was who had the lamellar at Birka,...I"M THAT GUY! For what ever reason, that's me. Khazar, Rus, Pict, Frank, Slav, Saxon, Romano-Celt,...whatever,...that's me. Soon as you guy's figure that out let me know.

Next we will be seeing folks who 'served in Byzantium' carrying sabres as well since its documentable that the Rus had such weapons and they were of course in service to the Emperor so EVERYONE would have had access to them right?

*** Well? Not "everyone", but maybe every SOLDIER. I do portray soldiers. LOL! Who's reachin' now?
Mord
Archive Member

Post by Mord »

Tom's question is correct: how many Byzantine objects are found in Scandinavian graves of the Viking Age? That should forge a direct link between Byzantium and Scandinavia.

But OY what a question! Good God! This is the work of year, if not lives, Tom.

In one example alone--a famous example--I will show the problem of answering your question. That example is Birka, which is a site with which most of us are familar.

If you look at just look at H. Arbman's catalog (Birka I: die Graber), you will see that 1166 graves are discussed. First, we have catalog and classify each find (all of them--not just the finds in the second volume). Then we have to compare those finds with Byzantine Objects from approximentally the same time. Anybody know where you can find a catalog of Byzantine objects from the 9th and 10th centuries?

To complicate matters further, both Constaniople and Birka were trading centers. How do you determine what's foriegn and what's indiginous? Silk, for example, was of foriegn manufacture, but was traded extensively by the Byzantines--indeed they supported themselves with the silk trade.

Yet all this is just scratching the surface. Attempts have been made: tracking Kufic (Arabic) silver coins (or so I've been told), and swords (check M. Muller-White and Jakobson).

An easy question, sure, but a complicated answer.

Mord.
Robert P. Norwalt
Archive Member

[quote="Tom Knighton"]

,...Without proof that something was used by the norse, a norse reenactor can't, or at least shouldn't, be using that thing. Without some definative proof that byzantine equipment made it to the norse homelands, then reenactors should abstain from it's usage. Period.

*** I agree Tom. Since we have found Viking terds, but not tiolet paper, we must not wipe our asses at events. :D :idea:

I'm just hackin' on ya friend. :D :D :D :lol: :lol: :!:
Rollo
Archive Member

Post by Rollo »

I don't think I am mudding the waters.. not at all.

First off, your wrong. No pants have been found. The pants your probably thinking of, Thorsbjerg and Damendorf, are migration era. There are some small pieces found in hedeby that my have been pants, but its a guess. As as it was pointed out to me earlier, the rock art from gotland is also not viking, it is older then that. I also think that you will find that almost, if not all, of the helmets usually associated with vikings are not actually viking. My point was that we don't always have to go with archaeological finds.

I also find that your making an assumption that I think is wrong. Your assuming that since we haven't dug it up, they did have or use it. Your missing something with that line of thinking. What it tells me is that they didn't bury their dead in it. Perhaps armor was highly prized, and was used by someone else instead of burying them in it. We bury our dead in a tux or a suit.... that doesn't mean that it is the most common thing worn.

I find it interesting that you all dismiss lamillar so easily. They have found it in a viking town. Sure it may not have been a viking that was buried with it, but that doesn't tell me that vikings didn't have it. All that tells me is that other people have different burial practices. For me, it see that vikings knew about lamillar in two ways. 1. Birk. 2. The Byzantine army. I am not saying that they got to bring home their armor, that is just a silly line of thinking. I am saying however that they knew about it. Because they knew about it, for me it is reasonable to say that they would have used it.

The cut and dry approach to experimental archeology just don't cut it for me. We often have to conjecture about what was and was not done. If you want to go simply based on what has been found, your best bet would be to play a dead guy.

In the end, we make our choices based on a number of factors. In the SCA one of the BIG factors is that chainmaile is bad armor for blunt trauma. Lamillar is much better, that is why people tend to use it. Lets not slam each other on this fact. I am sure if someone came up with an alternative to lamillar, that was good for SCA use, people would start to use it. But for know, lamillar is as close as it gets.
guthrothr
Archive Member

Post by guthrothr »

Robert P. Norwalt wrote:*** I agree Tom. Since we have found Viking terds, but not tiolet paper, we must not wipe our asses at events. :D :idea:

Huh ?

You mean you don't use moss ? :shock:

I thought you guys were serious about this ...............

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Guthroth Of Colanhomm

"Have Sword, Will Travel..."

www.vikingsna.org
Halvgrimr
Billy Bob

Post by Halvgrimr »

Tsk, Tsk
I ventured outside the SCA to escape (albiet for short periods of time) the SCA mentality only to find it alive and well inside the LH side of things as well.

I am glad my guys get where I am coming from on this and are supportive when I say lamellar wont be allowed at our events or demos.

I mean come on guys, Ny Bjorn digs at Birka, he portrays a member of the Birka militia, he knows more about Birka and its finds than any of us and he wont touch the stuff (lamellar), that should say alot to the rest of us IMO.

Halv
Robert P. Norwalt
Archive Member

[quote="Tom Knighton"]On the issue of Byzantine equipment coming home with norsemen who had served the Emporer, keep in mind that to compare the modern anything with anything medieval is pointless.
Tom[/quote]

Why is it pointless Tom? Becuase you say so? You have some kind of proff that soldiers were so different then? Just point me in the right direction, and I'll study the thing out on my own.
At least I have common since on my side. I think the burden of proof in a issue like this is on your shoulders. I think our archeologist buddies might be able to come up with gear and equiptment being taken home in every campaign EVER FOUGHT!!! Now. My contention was not that the Birka stuff was Byzantine, my thought was more on the lines that it could have been. You want to dismiss that out of hand, cuz it don't line up with a reenactor/recreationist philosophy yer trying to push on us. It's gotten to the point with you that SCAers have to be wrong, just because you don't like that outfit. Well? They ain't the greatest, but they damn sure ain't the worst neither. Facts are more stuborn than I am. Fact is: they found lamellar plates in Birka.
Halvgrimr
Billy Bob

Post by Halvgrimr »

rollo wrote:I don't think I am mudding the waters.. not at all.

First off, your wrong. No pants have been found. The pants your probably thinking of, Thorsbjerg and Damendorf, are migration era. There are some small pieces found in hedeby that my have been pants, but its a guess. As as it was pointed out to me earlier, the rock art from gotland is also not viking, it is older then that.

Lets not forget about the Skjoldhem find, pants are pants and they still are evident in Viking age literary source so once again we are back to they are documentable

I also think that you will find that almost, if not all, of the helmets usually associated with vikings are not actually viking.

yup, i have spent the better part of the last 5 years researching and documenting helms and DOCUMENTABLE armour, the helms I mentioned are Viking Age helms.

My point was that we don't always have to go with archaeological finds.

-Tell any of the known Viking Age reenactment groups that and watch them fume.

Tell any of the late period boys here (like Chef) that about late period armour and watch the posts roll.

This mentality is why large scale reenactment in the states hasnt taken hold, the SCA mentality and its kungfu are just way to strong

I also find that your making an assumption that I think is wrong. Your assuming that since we haven't dug it up, they did have or use it. Your missing something with that line of thinking. What it tells me is that they didn't bury their dead in it. Perhaps armor was highly prized, and was used by someone else instead of burying them in it. We bury our dead in a tux or a suit.... that doesn't mean that it is the most common thing worn.

--then the graves would reveal this, the evidence we have doesnt

I am not saying that they got to bring home their armor, that is just a silly line of thinking. I am saying however that they knew about it. Because they knew about it, for me it is reasonable to say that they would have used it.

--I know about lots of things i dont use, I bet the same applies to you (and everyone else)

I answered much more but I grow very friggin tired on replying to this thread.

Tell ya what, yall keep basing your kit on dreams I will forge ahead with reliable information.

Halv
Mord
Archive Member

Post by Mord »

guthrothr wrote:
Robert P. Norwalt wrote:*** I agree Tom. Since we have found Viking terds, but not tiolet paper, we must not wipe our asses at events. :D :idea:

Huh ?

You mean you don't use moss ? :shock:

I thought you guys were serious about this ...............

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I know, I've read Christensen's book with the note about moss. Oy. I am not that serious...and I don't care what you think I should use. Why are watching the first place? Hmmm?

Rollo, let me try this. If the Scandinavians buried some of their dead with swords, axes, spears, archery equipment and shields (and in one case a helmet), wouldn't it be logical that you bury whoever with their body armor? Especially spiffy body armor from Mickelgard (literally the "big city")? That hasn't been found.

However, I am sympathetic. What do I wear when I fight in the SCA? A helm and all the other stuff required. Sometimes I hide it. I try to come close within certain criteria. In fact, I'm just finishing putting together plastic lammellar, and I will be safer for it--it's certainly closer than the barrell plastic I was wearing.

Does this make me a heretic? Do I care? I know the difference. I know something about what we do know. For me that's the point. You all can disapprove of my kit.

Right now, I'm just far too tired to continue.

Mord.
Halvgrimr
Billy Bob

Post by Halvgrimr »

Mord

To be clear, my arguements are for LH quality kit.
I care very little what folks do in the SCA.
Its a totally different ball game (you know this of course).
I dont hold the participants of the two different games to the same standard.

When I fight SCA i fight in lamellar and my SCA persona is 7th C Vendel;)

Its from a reenactors pov I take this stance on lamellar.

Halv
Tom Knighton
Doesn't Care

Post by Tom Knighton »

Since it's not clear who exactly you're addressing on this, I'll take what I can of your post, since I'm not sure if it's all directed toward me or not.

rollo wrote:I don't think I am mudding the waters.. not at all.

First off, your wrong. No pants have been found. The pants your probably thinking of, Thorsbjerg and Damendorf, are migration era. There are some small pieces found in hedeby that my have been pants, but its a guess. As as it was pointed out to me earlier, the rock art from gotland is also not viking, it is older then that. I also think that you will find that almost, if not all, of the helmets usually associated with vikings are not actually viking. My point was that we don't always have to go with archaeological finds.

True, but what othe evidence exists for it's use? Helmets are covered by pleny of artistic references, and I believe pants are covered by artistic refernces other than the picture stones, but I admit I could be wrong on this since the norse isn't my strongsuit.

Ok. Show me something that supports more of the use of lamellar. Artistic records? Literary records? Anything? I'm not assuming that they didn't have it, but I can't prove that they did. In Reenactment, we use what we can PROVE existed in some way, shape, or form. We may not know what it looked like exactly, or what it consisted of, but we know it existed, so we extrapolate that. We have ZERO proof of lamellar being worn, save one UNIQUE find at Birka...plates which origins are more perplexing, in my opinion, than their presence. Since that is the only evidence for lamellar in existance in the norse world, reenactors should steer clear of it. It's that simple.

It doesn't mean that lamellar WASN'T worn, it just means that there isn't enough evidence to support the widespread use of it by reenactors. How hard is that to understand?

I find it interesting that you all dismiss lamillar so easily. They have found it in a viking town. Sure it may not have been a viking that was buried with it, but that doesn't tell me that vikings didn't have it. All that tells me is that other people have different burial practices. For me, it see that vikings knew about lamillar in two ways. 1. Birk. 2. The Byzantine army. I am not saying that they got to bring home their armor, that is just a silly line of thinking. I am saying however that they knew about it. Because they knew about it, for me it is reasonable to say that they would have used it.

Sure it's reasonable. No one is arguing that point. But without anything to support the idea that they made it themselves and used it, it's a falicy to try and wear it for reenactment purposes. It's that simple.

The cut and dry approach to experimental archeology just don't cut it for me. We often have to conjecture about what was and was not done. If you want to go simply based on what has been found, your best bet would be to play a dead guy.

I have already covered extrapolation, but if you want to proceed with sarcasm and idiotic suggestions, feel free. However, plenty has been found through the artistic and literary record to give us an idea about many of the things we don't know about. Lamellar doesn't exist in these records to support it's use by the reenactment community, at least in my opinion, and a few others here as well.

In the end, we make our choices based on a number of factors. In the SCA one of the BIG factors is that chainmaile is bad armor for blunt trauma. Lamillar is much better, that is why people tend to use it. Lets not slam each other on this fact. I am sure if someone came up with an alternative to lamillar, that was good for SCA use, people would start to use it. But for know, lamillar is as close as it gets.

And I've already said that for SCA, use whatever you want. The rules of the SCA permit anything your heart desires, within reason. Reenactment and SCA aren't the same game. If you believe it is, I hate to say it's not. Both have thier place in our subculture, but they ARE different. However, I suspect that you already know that. I agree that lamellar is much better for SCA combat. I'm not alone in that thought. However, it doesn't mean that lamellar is accurate. Wishing doesn't make it so (and lord knows I wish that it did!!! ;) ).

Tom

Michael B
Archive Member

Post by Michael B »

Michael B wrote: [re: Hastings 2000] ... I thought that event was a great example of people from disparate groups and geographical locations working together towards portraying one time and place.

I also wanted to say that I usually find this forum to be a great example of people from disparate groups and mindsets working together to rationally discuss research and authenticity ...
Halvgrimr
Billy Bob

Post by Halvgrimr »

As do I Michael B

I guess sometimes its just so hard fighting the good fight that a few of us lose our minds and go crazy;)

Halv