Three Leg Stool?

To discuss research into and about the middle ages.

Moderator: Glen K

cristofre fortescu
Archive Member

Three Leg Stool?

Post by cristofre fortescu »

Anyone have a pattern for one of those three leg stools that fold up with the leather seat?

Cris
Thomas Powers
Archive Member

Post by Thomas Powers »

Anyone have documentation for that style?

Thomas
Finnacan
Archive Member

Post by Finnacan »

Oooo...umm..

I've seen the half-moon seat stools with three legs, norse, early 10th century I think, and of course the classic tudor era stool with three turned legs and braces under a solid wood triangular seat.

As for a lashed trinity of legs with a cloth or leather seat, I don't recall ever seeing one actually documented. Have you sniffed around the medieval pavilion resource site under the furniture section?

Not sure of the link, but googling 'medieval pavilion resource' ought to do the trick.

If you find anything, please post it. This has me curious.

~Finnacan
~Finnacan

Early Irish? Naked? I hope you find this useful. http://coblaith.net/EarlyGaelicDress/default.html
Maeryk
Archive Member

Post by Maeryk »

As for a lashed trinity of legs with a cloth or leather seat, I don't recall ever seeing one actually documented. Have you sniffed around the medieval pavilion resource site under the furniture section?

Well, I can clearly document them back to Thomas Jefferson.. he had a walking stick that turned into one.. (Kinda neat.. instructions are in one of the Woodwright's books).. so its at least as far back as the 1700s.. not sure about earlier, but then again, I've never looked for one specifially earlier.

"collapsable" furniture (other than bigarsed tables) doesnt seem to be terribly prevalent in the drawings I have seen.. and the tables are all _massive_ critters anyway.. I suspect they only came apart because it would have been difficult to move them without disassembly.

Maeryk
Kel Rekuta
Archive Member

Post by Kel Rekuta »

Maeryk wrote:

Well, I can clearly document them back to Thomas Jefferson.. he had a walking stick that turned into one.. (Kinda neat.. instructions are in one of the Woodwright's books).. so its at least as far back as the 1700s.. not sure about earlier, but then again, I've never looked for one specifially earlier.

"collapsable" furniture (other than bigarsed tables) doesnt seem to be terribly prevalent in the drawings I have seen.. and the tables are all _massive_ critters anyway.. I suspect they only came apart because it would have been difficult to move them without disassembly.

Maeryk

Funny, then how do you account for the various forms of folding chairs recorded from Egyptian history to the present day? The three legged folding stool (Renn Faire special) may not be documentable as medieval furniture. There are better designs available. I suggest you do a quick search for the works of Ole Wanscher, especially "Sella Curulis". This kind of chair folds up for easy transport.

Cheers!
Attachments
xchair%20161v.jpg
xchair%20161v.jpg (46.18 KiB) Viewed 316 times
Maeryk
Archive Member

Post by Maeryk »

Funny, then how do you account for the various forms of folding chairs recorded from Egyptian history to the present day? The three legged folding stool (Renn Faire special) may not be documentable as medieval furniture. There are better designs available. I suggest you do a quick search for the works of Ole Wanscher, especially "Sella Curulis". This kind of chair folds up for easy transport.

yeah.. brain fart on my part! DUH! The cerrule chairs, foeldstoels, etc, all folded up to a certain extent.. I was thinking more along the lines of stuff that collapsed a-la a modern camping bag chair.. like the three legged stool design. DUH!

Thanks for setting me straight.. I cannot BELIEVE in my low-caffeine early morning fog I forgot about the folding chairs.

Maeryk
Thomas Powers
Archive Member

Post by Thomas Powers »

Yes, I know that the 3 legged wooden stool is well represented---there is even a plan for one in "Masterpieces" a book on making furniture that is shown in pictures.

I just don't recall an example of a 3 legged collapsable leather topped stool and since this is R&A I was hoping someone had run across one....

Many tables were designed to break down so you can use the main hall for other activities---like sleeping...

Thomas
InsaneIrish
SQUEEE!

Post by InsaneIrish »

I have yet to come accross any documentation, documenting the colapsable leather stool.

I very seriously doubt that it is documentable much further back than Thomas Jefferson.

The "X" chair design however is documentable way back
Insane Irish

Quote: "Nissan Maxima"
(on Pennsic) I know that movie. It is the 13th warrior. A bunch of guys in armour that doesn't match itself or anybody elses, go on a trip and argue and get drunk and get laid and then fight Tuchux.
Thomas Powers
Archive Member

Post by Thomas Powers »

there is a period chair I'm dying to reproduce---it's made out of wrought iron with a slung leather seat with rock crystal balls on the top of the front. It's in "Metal Working Techniques for Craftsmen" Oppi Untrect, It will be a heavy chair if made to the same scale. I had a full scale plan made for it but it was lost in the move.

Thomas
Alcyoneus
Archive Member

Post by Alcyoneus »

I've got that book, I think I remember the pic. I'd love to see it, Thomas.
My 10yo daughter says I'm pretty!

Squire to Jarl Asgeirr Gunnarson, Barony of Vatavia, Calontir
olafr
Archive Member

Post by olafr »