Stoopid 14th c questions

To discuss research into and about the middle ages.

Moderator: Glen K

Iain (Bunny) Ruadh
Archive Member

Re: Stoopid 14th c questions

Post by Iain (Bunny) Ruadh »

mattmaus wrote:If I wanted to joun the 14th C mafia... or you know... just be a poseur...

<snip>
Turnshoes: of a modest pointy toe, possibly with pattens

yes? no? maybe?
Always a point of question and often open to personal choice. I've found I prefer to wear my leather shoes and wool chausses in 'moist' events vs. putting pattens on. I see guys wearing pattens all the time to protect the shoes but I just find they have little to no traction (even with cross hatched notching). I do use them when there is a good chunk of moisture on the ground (i.e. standing water) and I won't be doing long walks about but in those cases I tend to use the wool chausses again (for warmth) and at least ankle boots if not knee boots. Moist leather boots seem to work like a good pair of dance shoes or feeling 'barefoot' with think soled feet.
"Difficulty is the excuse history never accepts." - Edward R. Murrow
James B.
Archive Member

Post by James B. »

I am with you Iain. I did the wear them anytime thing for a short while and got tired of it and only wear pattens on muddy rainy days.
James B.
In the SCA: Master James de Biblesworth
Archer in La Belle Compagnie
Historic Life
mephit
Archive Member

Post by mephit »

Russ Mitchell wrote: Alum-tawed stuff is indeed the shiznit. If you need some, drop me a PM, I have plenty and can arrange something (it's nearly all I use, since it's historically uber-correct for Hungary).
Sweet! Thanks! Wish I'd known that earlier. I could have made alum-tawed poulaines for myself and my soon-to-be-wife for our wedding. Might still make a pair for her. Already about half-done with mine in veg-tan.
Owein ap Cai
Barony of Grey Niche, Gleann Abhann
Memphis, TN