Sander Pics just for Hal!

This forum is designed to help us spread the knowledge of armouring.
Padrig
Archive Member

Sander Pics just for Hal!

Post by Padrig »

Well ok not just for him but I know he will like them as he has the same tool fetish as I do. ;)

It has taken me a while to finish this with life getting in the way but I am satisfied of the results. A couple of things left to do: tensionning spring, spark deflectors at the top and back and probably turn another tensionning wheel as this one is less than perfect.

A question if I may. When I use the slack part of the belt, it tracks to on side or the other depending on where I put the pressure. Will this get corrected with the tensionning spring if I put enough tension on there. The drivewheel and tensionning wheel are already crowned so no help there.

Thanks for looking.

Pad
Attachments
belt_sander1.jpg
belt_sander1.jpg (58.71 KiB) Viewed 18773 times
belt_sander2.jpg
belt_sander2.jpg (47.42 KiB) Viewed 18773 times
belt_sander3.jpg
belt_sander3.jpg (53.52 KiB) Viewed 18773 times
Josh W
Archive Member

Post by Josh W »

Where can I get something like that?
"When a land rejects her legends, Sees but falsehoods in the past;
And its people view their Sires in the light of fools and liars,
'Tis a sign of its decline and its glories cannot last."
Gunvaldis
Archive Member

Post by Gunvaldis »

You can build one :)

Pretty nice job Padrig! A question if I may - what length is the belt itself?
Padrig
Archive Member

Post by Padrig »

Yes Josh, just build one. It's easy. :P

Gunvaldis, it's 2X72 belts.

Pad
Stacy Elliott
Archive Member

Post by Stacy Elliott »

Probably a dumb question, but how do you keep the belts from sliding off the rollers?

Stacy
The mark of a good person is not whether or not you make mistakes, it is how you deal with them afterwards"

Never Forget 9/11: http://members.cox.net/classicweb/email.htm
Remember The Cole: http://www.cargolaw.com/2000nightmare_cole.html
HammerHand
Archive Member

sander

Post by HammerHand »

Padrig- that is quite unique! Great construction and ingenuity. Are you going to attatch guards over the rollers? Did you use just an encased motor for the drive, and make the rollers or purchase them? Sorry for all the questions, but I'm very intrigued.
Padrig
Archive Member

Post by Padrig »

Stacy, the drivewheel and the tensioning wheel are sightly crowned to help keep the belt on track.

Hammerhand, yes I will add deflectors and I did use a TEFC motor. I purchased the contact wheel and drive wheel from Beaumont and turned the tensioning wheel myself.

Pad
polarbearforge
Archive Member

Post by polarbearforge »

That looks a lot like one of the interations I went through when rebuidling my sander. Looks good!

When slack belt sanding, unless you have a pretty good amount of tension, the belt will move unless you're sanding whatever right in the middle of the belt with no side pressure. I don't do much slack belt, and it still does it. There are a few things that will amplify the effect. The square tube within a square tube (when I tried it) was a relatively loose fit, and pressure on the belt will cause that to shift. If the pivot arm pivot is loose, it will do the same thing. The last thing that usually amplifies it, is if the wheels are grossly out of square.

Things look pretty good in the picture, so I'd go with the tension aspect first. Are you going to add a spring to the back of the idler arm or a spring inside the tubes? I've done both, neither seemed to have better performance. The spring inside the tube though shot the idler up up to hit the ceiling when a belt broke though... :shock:

Jamie
Jamie
Polar Bear Forge
Custom knives - Laser Cut Lamellar Plates - Coat of plates kit - Grinder in a box kit - Tong blanks - Valsgarde Helm kit - Gauntlet kit
DAVID01
Archive Member

Post by DAVID01 »

What did it cost to build this? I just bought a simalar one from Grizzly, but it has a shaft on the other side for a buffer.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/G1015
Education is a crutch with which the foolish attack the wise to prove that they are not idiots.
Padrig
Archive Member

Post by Padrig »

Thanks for the tips Jamie. I was going to ask about how much pressure was needed for the spring but I see now that I need a lot. I will make it adjustable so I can give more slack to the belt if need be.

David, I havent totalled it yet but about 120$ for the wheels, about 50$ worth of steel (stand included), 20$ of bolts and 150$ for the motor. So around 350$ or so.

Pad
Halberds
Archive Member

Post by Halberds »

Hi Pad,

Cool sander, Pforge was correct the belt always goes to one side when pushing slack belt.
I have never thrown one off yet on my grizz.

A little flat black or machinery grey and you be good to go.

Thanks for the pics.
Happy Metal Pounding
Willing Pell
Archive Member

Post by Willing Pell »

Would it be possible to put a plate on either side of the drive and idler pullers to keep the belt on the wheels? With no place to go that might solve the problem.
The artisan formerly known as Willing Pell, then Juan Santell and then Willing Pell again. Hey, Prince could do it, why not me?
Mike F
Archive Member

Post by Mike F »

It would damage or destroy both the plates and the belt. A flying belt is unpleasant. ;)
It's up to you now.
jgalak
Archive Member

Post by jgalak »

What about turning a pulley with sidewalls? So that the cross section would look like an " H "? not sure if that would work...
Yehuda ben Moshe
mka Juliean Galak
Padrig
Archive Member

Post by Padrig »

Just an update pic. I added the tensioning spring. Works great. Thanks for the tips for the tracking but I think I will keep it as is. Like Hal said the belt stays on, I just need to get use to it.

Now for the deflectors and a platen attachment for flat grinding.

Thanks for looking.

Pad
Attachments
belt_sander4.jpg
belt_sander4.jpg (45.84 KiB) Viewed 18525 times
polarbearforge
Archive Member

Post by polarbearforge »

jgalak wrote:What about turning a pulley with sidewalls? So that the cross section would look like an " H "? not sure if that would work...
I tried it once. It didn't work too well. If the belt didn't dig into the sides, it rolled up the sides. Either way, it either ruined the belt or did a weird wiggly side to side movement.

Jamie
Jamie
Polar Bear Forge
Custom knives - Laser Cut Lamellar Plates - Coat of plates kit - Grinder in a box kit - Tong blanks - Valsgarde Helm kit - Gauntlet kit
DAVID01
Archive Member

Post by DAVID01 »

Pad,
how long is the belt from top wheel to bottom wheel (front)? Also How wide is your belt? I was thinking it might be good to have one around like that with a 4" wide belt.
Education is a crutch with which the foolish attack the wise to prove that they are not idiots.
Padrig
Archive Member

Post by Padrig »

David, there is about 24" from top to bottom. The belt is 2" large. I dont think you'd need 4". 2X72 belts seems to be the preferred for most applications, either armouring or knifemaking.

Pad
Patton Lives
Archive Member

Post by Patton Lives »

I dont know anything about machining, what are the different components made from(the base/stand, wheels and attachments mainly, the motor and belt are pretty self explanatory) and how much would you say was invested in this project? IE would it be cheaper just to get the grizzly 1015 slack sander than to try to make or have someone build a contraption like this?
Guillaume2
Archive Member

Post by Guillaume2 »

Nice work Pat! Where did you buy the belt?

Actually I'm waiting for mine to grow up;P
Guillaume Côté
http://www.armoury.org