I wanna play with these guys

For those of us who wish to talk about the many styles and facets of recreating Medieval armed combat.
ThorvaldR Skegglauss
Archive Member

I wanna play with these guys

Post by ThorvaldR Skegglauss »

For those of you who think it is possible to throw excessive blows in the SCA.......

I could/would wanna try this. You only need a team of 8 or more to join in....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLCLljsi ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBdCDg41o0Q
Hertogi ThorvaldR Skegglauss, Drachenwald KSCA

Just have fun and do right by yourself and others.
Nissan Maxima
Thor's Taint

Post by Nissan Maxima »

I want.
I am the SCA's middle finger.
www.clovenshield.org
Theoderic
Archive Member

Post by Theoderic »

The second video was quite extraordinary with a flare for being absorbed into a medieval space in time long passed.

The fighting is final destination of our line of sporting endeavors. The step beyond would be an actual fight with death in mind.

I am certain it unleashes the barbaric yalp in a way only few things can.
Tom B.
Archive Member

Post by Tom B. »

I been watching their videos since the lady posted over in the Classifieds Forum last week. There are some great videos. Generally great armour and very intense fighting. Here is another video.

Big Battle Scene

Tom
Last edited by Tom B. on Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
ThorvaldR Skegglauss
Archive Member

Here is the email I received. :lol: :lol:

[quote]Dear colleagues-reenactors!

We are glad to inform you that on the basis of the project “Battle of the Nationsâ€

Rudolph
Archive Member

Post by Rudolph »

Definitely some cool stuff there. It's interesting to see the difference when kicking and grappling are added to the mix. Can't stop watching.
House Stahlgeist
Righteous Brother of the Priory of St. Colin "The Dude"
Fokke
Archive Member

Post by Fokke »

Thats awesome. In the second video right around the 1:40 mark, did anyone notice the guy being gigged just below the eye slot with a spear? Wonder what the injury rate is with these guys? This is what the SCA should aspire to be more like, I think the recruitment issues would be gone when people saw how hardcore the fighting really is. Definately would hear an end to the "off to go hit grown men with sticks again?" comments.
Its a battle not a tournie, there's a difference.
Ogedei
Archive Member

Post by Ogedei »

:shock:
Stephen du Bois
Archive Member

Post by Stephen du Bois »

I want, I want.....and oh, hell yes!!!!!!!! (though my wife says I'm crazy)

When and where are they doing this next?

Stephen
I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious.
Vince Lombardi
Fokke
Archive Member

Post by Fokke »

Unfortunately, looking at the language, looks like Russia or Eastern Europe somewhere. Be fun to try and get my greatsword through airport security.
Leo Medii
Archive Member

Post by Leo Medii »

Far more realistic than your standard SCA fight.

These guys obviously do not have any silly engagement rules....that is for sure.
Lion of Irnham - Martial undertaking should never be a lowest common denominator endeavor.
David de Clermont
Archive Member

Post by David de Clermont »

Someone set this up, I'm in. I'll need to re-think my kit, but it'd be worth it to fight with these guys. It may cost a ton to go to the Ukraine but it would be worth every minute of it.
David de Clermont
Squire to Ivar Rhidri Eithr Drenger
Haus Kriegsturm
Barony of Sternfeld
Middle Kingdom
mordreth wrote:Normans, and birds of prey just know they're cool
Theoderic
Archive Member

Post by Theoderic »

They appear to have a very limited set of rules that seem to be focused upon not killing someone. It initially appeared to me that once an opponent was down that opponent was out. However, I did witness a fallen combatant attacked repeatedly while down. The man upon the ground was not attacking and the man which was continuing the assault was the same person that took him down.

Several people did require stitches or similar upon the face. The force from the pole arm weapons could easily break bones.

It looks to be UFC, the Next Gen.
raito
Archive Member

Post by raito »

Fokke wrote:Thats awesome. In the second video right around the 1:40 mark, did anyone notice the guy being gigged just below the eye slot with a spear? Wonder what the injury rate is with these guys? This is what the SCA should aspire to be more like, I think the recruitment issues would be gone when people saw how hardcore the fighting really is. Definately would hear an end to the "off to go hit grown men with sticks again?" comments.
Every time I've tried reading up on the Eastern European stuff (all of 3 times. nonetheless), I end up translating posts in Ukranian or Polish forums. And they;re always to the effect that there's too many injuries. As in hospitalization injuries.

And just speaking to what I've been able to glean, which could be wrong...

Those sorts of groups seem to have rules that you're not dead unless you're knocked down. If that's so, their techniques seem pretty ineffective overall. Smacking a guy in the helm isn't going to knock him over.

I'll bet that some jeu de la hache or medieval manual work would come in very handy.
JimC
Archive Member

Post by JimC »

Fokke wrote:Thats awesome. In the second video right around the 1:40 mark, did anyone notice the guy being gigged just below the eye slot with a spear? Wonder what the injury rate is with these guys?
We put perf steel inside the eye slots to keep out shit like arrows, spears and sword points. Not sure if these guys do.
Godric Alburne
Archive Member

Post by Godric Alburne »

One of the first things that I thought on seeing these videos is.... why the hell doesn't the SCA have videos with quality like that?????

All of the helmets seem to be closed-face, or modified to be closed. While I saw a few nasals, they were modified to have chain aventails hanging from the helm, with no exceptions.

I suspect that might be one of the rules.

Also, apparently these videos were comprised of footage from other festivals, not the Battle of the Nations that it's used as advertising for.
SCA: Godric Alburne
Keythong Herald of Northshield
Audaces fortuna iuvat
LOGOS
Archive Member

Post by LOGOS »

Pretty damn cool.

Trust me, you will have no luck trying anything like this in SCA even watered down so much as to be absurd.

However, if enough people are interested in doing outside the envelope, maybe it will happen. Let's discuss... :D
Fokke
Archive Member

Post by Fokke »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uykcM1j3 ... re=related

Are those pole arms with metal heads? Watch this video and check the pole armers out those guys are flat out cranking people with their shots, I have seen the results of a flanged mace on an SCA legal helm, the result is a heavily dented and punctured helm. How are they getting away with not just heavily injuring guys but flat out killing them?
I am noting that I do not see any leg sweeps with the polearms. Everything seems to just be over heads chops or thrusts.
Godric Alburne
Archive Member

Post by Godric Alburne »

Let's see if we can figure out what the rules are from just watching the various videos.

So far, the following seem legal:

Live steel (blunted, it appears)
Kicking
Punching
Shield checking
Shield slashing
Grappling
High shots
Face thrusts

Helms cover most of the face, and no one seems to be in armor that's less than full coverage.

There are marshals/referees who bear staffs with yellow flags. In the videos of matches I've been watching, they interrupt the fights on a regular basis. There seems to be an equivalent of "Hold!" being shouted occasionally.

There appears to be no restriction on attacking from behind.
Audaces fortuna iuvat
raito
Archive Member

Post by raito »

Fokke wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uykcM1j3 ... re=related

Are those pole arms with metal heads? Watch this video and check the pole armers out those guys are flat out cranking people with their shots, I have seen the results of a flanged mace on an SCA legal helm, the result is a heavily dented and punctured helm. How are they getting away with not just heavily injuring guys but flat out killing them?
I am noting that I do not see any leg sweeps with the polearms. Everything seems to just be over heads chops or thrusts.
The other thread's translation seemed to indicate that lower legs were off limits, if I remember correctly.
ThorvaldR Skegglauss
Archive Member

I think my old ass could handle about 1 day of that and then I would need a month or more to recover.

Hot tub and sauna for hours after that....

Foxman
Archive Member

Post by Foxman »

I love the game - but that frickin scares me.

0:28 - guy tilts back his head - neck WIDE OPEN - no gorget!

0:45 - 2x eye slots 2" x 4" wide - WAY too easy for swords to get in!

1:07 - the head of the pole arm comes flying off! - look at all those spectators - and they guy he's hitting is right on the barrier!

1:17 - massive overhead swing with a pole arm at a guys back

1:20 - random hilt punch to the head

1:22 - the guy in the center I can see WAY too much of his face - I think he has a brim of a helmet and something from the nose down but everything else is WIDE open OMG! Also at 2:05 guy on right, Looks like a helm and a metal version of a turtleneck

1:32 - the frickin helm face is flying open. same guy at 1:47 - this an ongoing thing?!?!

1:36 - broken sword, I shouldn’t be surprised...

2:07 - Looks like the guy has a bloody lip. If that’s the worst injury I'd be surprised.

2:28 - kick to the groin

2:32 - guy being pushed over the barrier into the crowd!

Add in numerous body checks and hits from behind.

Damn. I'd be supprised if nobody has been killed in this. I expect maiming to have happened already.
Lord Donnan Sionnach
Squire to Ogedei Bahadur

Can you imagine what I would do if I could do all I can? -Sun Tzu
Argent, a triquetra inverted and an annulet interlaced vert between three foxes passant in annulo one and two proper.
Ironic
Archive Member

Post by Ironic »

Dang, thats brutal, but looks so cool though. They should do something like that here in the US. Wouldn't that be so fun.
The tragedy of life is what dies inside a man while he lives- Albert Schweitzer

Right is always pretty, pretty is not always right-Corby de la Flamme

It's better not to practice making armour just do it. Mad Matt
Tom B.
Archive Member

Post by Tom B. »

Godric Alburne wrote:Let's see if we can figure out what the rules are from just watching the various videos.
There is a software translation of the rules in the Other Thread.

Tom
jenzinas
Archive Member

Post by jenzinas »

A few years ago I met a polish guy at a WMA event who did this. He said it was pretty safe. Usually only a couple of guys got their teeth broken at an event.
Godric Alburne
Archive Member

Post by Godric Alburne »

Enrico di Venezia wrote:
Godric Alburne wrote:Let's see if we can figure out what the rules are from just watching the various videos.
There is a software translation of the rules in the Other Thread.

Tom
So there are.

It looks like a really brutal sport. I'm not sure if I'd participate or not.
Audaces fortuna iuvat
Lucian Ro
Archive Member

Post by Lucian Ro »

I'll have to admit; I'd totally try it.
It has all the feel of a brawl thrown together with amour and weapons.
I'd be damn sure I had full face protection, though. There's a point in the first movie where someone dodges back and their chapel and bevor separate and there's a wide open area for teeth-losing goodness.
Ouch, no thank you.
Lord Lucian Ro
MKA
Scotty Riopel

Per pale argent and purpure, a dragonfly counterchanged and on a chief sable a dagger reversed argent.

When there is no peril in the fight, there is no glory in the triumph. -Pierre Corneille
Lloyd
Archive Member

Post by Lloyd »

I love this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=7wpxsdg ... re=related

Especially when the first move is to kick your opponents shield or they dude at :56 that continually punches the guy in the sugarloaf with his fist/pommel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=LyChLjU ... re=related

These folks have wayyy too wide open occulars for what they are doing. But they have style :wink:
Lloyd Clark
RETIRED World Champion Professional Jouster
Special Ed Teacher
Track Coach
Santa Claus
www.wisconsinsanta.com
Leo Medii
Archive Member

Post by Leo Medii »

One thing is, they sure aren't whiney bitches.
Take that as you like it, but it's a fact.
Lion of Irnham - Martial undertaking should never be a lowest common denominator endeavor.
Josh W
Archive Member

Post by Josh W »

I'd try it, but only in my full Milanese plate.
"When a land rejects her legends, Sees but falsehoods in the past;
And its people view their Sires in the light of fools and liars,
'Tis a sign of its decline and its glories cannot last."
Lloyd
Archive Member

Post by Lloyd »

Lloyd Clark
RETIRED World Champion Professional Jouster
Special Ed Teacher
Track Coach
Santa Claus
www.wisconsinsanta.com
Ottawa Swordplay
Archive Member

Post by Ottawa Swordplay »

I'd love to do something that hardcore, but the risk-benefit ratio doesn't work for me in this case. A number of their rules seem to (regardless of the intent) both reduce realism and safety. The minimum required weight for their swords is a good example. Swords weren't that heavy, and requiring them to be so increases the odds of injuring someone with a sword.

I'm torn about their knock-down rules as well. Certainly, historically the best way to overcome an armoured warrior was to get him on the ground where you could then either pin him and open his armour or apply more direct force to an attack. However, either the rules or the training these guys use seems to limit the most effective type of takedown, which are also IMO safer (for both participants) than just tackling them or bludgeoning them until they collapse or lose their balance.

In some ways the biggest problem for me may just be the overall image. I spend a lot of time explaining to people that medieval swordplay was a sophisticated and elegant martial art, and not just a matter of repeatedly bludgeoning an opponent until their armour gave out. These tournaments support the myth I've tried hard to dispel. And really, the over-heavy swords are part of that too.

Mind you, these days I mostly fight one on one, and group battle changes the game in and of itself. But I also don't see a lot of tactics other than ganging up on someone if you aren't otherwise occupied.

But they certainly aren't whiney bitches, and I can respect that.
David Blackmane
Archive Member

Post by David Blackmane »

In the second one Lloyd psted, I was thinking the swords were aluminum, until they started throwing sparks when the swords hit.

They were also getting pumped up on Dethklok. That I can respect. :D
U.S Army W.T.F! moments wrote:"We are not parade items, we are dogs of war."
David Blackmane's Youtube
JimC
Archive Member

Post by JimC »

OttawaClassicalSwordplay wrote: In some ways the biggest problem for me may just be the overall image. I spend a lot of time explaining to people that medieval swordplay was a sophisticated and elegant martial art, and not just a matter of repeatedly bludgeoning an opponent until their armour gave out. These tournaments support the myth I've tried hard to dispel. And really, the over-heavy swords are part of that too.
I think the biggest problem here is that very very very few of us are fortunate enough to spend enough time training, especially in harness to do justice to it.
Fokke
Archive Member

Post by Fokke »

Ottawa, not saying you are right or wrong, but do we really have a clue what an actual battle looked like? I really do not think swords were a primary weapon by this point in time anyway. Armor negates swords. More likely in my opinion would be heavy bludgeoning weapons and polearms and thrustie weapons for getting into small cracks. just a guess anyway.