Cavalry Fight!!!

For those of us who wish to talk about the many styles and facets of recreating Medieval armed combat.
Murdock
Something Different

Cavalry Fight!!!

Post by Murdock »

How feakin cool was that cav match right before the field battle!!!!

I'm glad His Grace Maximilllian wasn't hurt when he fell. That looked rough but he popped back up and got back in there.

I think it was HRM Gunthar, HG Max, Sir Lex, HE Rick Rafen, Sir Wulfric and some others i didn't recognise.

That was AWESOME!!!
raito
Archive Member

Post by raito »

I knew he was touching himself... 8)

(yeah, it was tres cool.)

The guy who seemed to kick mucho was Sir Gideon.
Murdock
Something Different

Post by Murdock »

Hey i waited till i got home

:P
Kaliban
Archive Member

Post by Kaliban »

anyone know the rules used .. this might get me down there with my girls :)
Kaliban

" Only the dead have seen the end of War "

kaliban6@comcast.net
Gaston de Clermont
Archive Member

Post by Gaston de Clermont »

Sir Gideon is in gold and red- you can see him from the back fighting Sir Lex in one of the shots. The guy with the scales on his blue and white shield is Sir Alexis. Both are Ansteorran knights, and yes, they kick much ass.
http://ardal.smugmug.com/gallery/2597042#136930575
Nigel, Duke of Arrochar
Archive Member

Post by Nigel, Duke of Arrochar »

Kaliban wrote:anyone know the rules used .. this might get me down there with my girls :)
My wife got authorized in Equestrian Mounted Combat at Gulf Wars. It is a BoD approved experimental project. I am not sure how far the range of the experiment goes though. Not sure about limitations and all of that jazz.

Fighting goes as such:

No strikes above solar plexus... to avoid striking horses. If you strike a horse you automatically lose the fight.

Horses must have back of head and eye protection. There are specifics but I won't even try and quote them from memory.

Fighters must wear helmet of 18ga or thicker and gorget. All other armour is optional, including hands (though hand protection was highly recommended).

Swords must weigh less than 2.5 lbs and cannot have a lanyard and must be constructed with 1" rattan with 1/2" foam padding covering its length.

Two strikes to either arm or a single strike to the head or torso constitute a kill.

On a personal note:

I heard some people complain about waiting around while the mounted combat occurred and some people were worried about stepping in or falling in horse manure but I and many others thought it was INCREDIBLE to see it happen.

Cheers,
Nigel MacFarlane KSCA
Duke of Arrochar
aut omnia periclitaris aut nihil lucaris
Marvin
Archive Member

Post by Marvin »

Thanks for the rules - we were wondering about that.

And as far as the horse poo goes - I made a few jokes about it myself, but I can't imagine why anyone would be that concerned. I'd rather fall in that stuff than the fire ant nest I found the next day while on my knees.
Murdock
Something Different

Post by Murdock »

"I heard some people complain about waiting around while the mounted combat occurred and some people were worried about stepping in or falling in horse manure but I and many others thought it was INCREDIBLE to see it happen."

Ehh

Give some poeple $5 and they complain that it's not $10

It was REEEEEEAAALLLYYY cool

ONly thing i would change was i would have has the horses come from opposite sides of the field so we knew who was on what side. Almost like they charged out of the rankes before the infantry.

I wish we could do that at Pennsic!!!

It was super bad ass!!!
Kaliban
Archive Member

Post by Kaliban »

sounds like fun .. have to look into that ..
Kaliban

kaliban6@comcast.net
Jonny Deuteronomy
Archive Member

Post by Jonny Deuteronomy »

i am up for some behourd activity like that.
some crested tourney melees would be fun too.
It's all just goobdooberous fripdippery now.
Rod Walker
Archive Member

Post by Rod Walker »

Whoa!!!! I just checked out the pics. Go the SCA :)

Well done and nicely done.
God keep you Rod. So few people hear the call of madness so clearly and follow it so loyally. - Jehan de Pelham

More attitude than a Lesbian Manhater with a nice pair and a Peachy Arse.

Wyvern Leather Works on Facebook
Wyvern Leather Works
freiman the minstrel
Archive Member

Post by freiman the minstrel »

I would be worried about the poop too, but I would be willing to be on the shovel team.

It would be worth it.

f
Act Your Rage
Malachiuri
Archive Member

Post by Malachiuri »

I was standing with a couple of guys watching the mounted combat on out in front of the Calontir army so we could get a better view.

At the very beginning, one guy turned to me and said, " Im not sure if this is cool or stupid"

Thats when Max went all John Wayne and fell out of the saddle. No pansy scrabbling for the saddle or reigns, no wussy struggle to stay on, just a manly dive to the turf and a quick shield cover(which the horse stepped on twice I think) and then back on the horse.

We all looked at each other and declaired, "ITS COOL!!!"

Loved seeing it, want to see many, many more examples.

Wish I wasnt so allergic to horses.
Baron Malachi von Uri
KSCA, OP
Kingdom of Calontir

"Its like he channels dead crazy people."
Kaliban
Archive Member

Post by Kaliban »

all i know is if i came out of my saddle someone better have a ladder ,fallen tree, step up , or a strong persons or persons to get me back in the saddle , damn tall horses hehe
Kaliban

kaliban6@comcast.net
Brandr
Archive Member

Post by Brandr »

I liked the combat but when one of the "dead" was led over to about 10ft in front of Gleann Abhann's lines and dropped a fresh steaming pile....well, that's a little to historically accurate for my tastes.

A shovel crew would have been a nice courtesy.

Shoot just a shovel being available would have been nice.
Brandr
-------------
freiman the minstrel wrote:It's easy to be average. That's why so many people are achieving it.
Torg from Sluggy Freelance wrote:I'm taking an internet college correspondence course in kick@$$.
Sir Alexis
Archive Member

Post by Sir Alexis »

Hi all, there is more info on the related thread:

http://forums.armourarchive.org/phpBB2/ ... hp?t=71268

FYI, there were folks assigned to do any necessary cleanup with manure forks and a wheelbarrow, so if they missed anything, please accept that it was an oversight and not for lack of planning on the part of those organizing it.

Alexis
Brandr
Archive Member

Post by Brandr »

Sir Alexis wrote:FYI, there were folks assigned to do any necessary cleanup with manure forks and a wheelbarrow, so if they missed anything, please accept that it was an oversight and not for lack of planning on the part of those organizing it.
Perhaps that was the plan but no wheelbarrow was brought to the field that morning and it was obvious that the field had not been cleaned in atleast 24 hours because there were piles that were atleast that old on the field.

Hopefully, that won't be a problem in the future.
Brandr
-------------
freiman the minstrel wrote:It's easy to be average. That's why so many people are achieving it.
Torg from Sluggy Freelance wrote:I'm taking an internet college correspondence course in kick@$$.
Amaris10
Archive Member

Post by Amaris10 »

As for the poo,.... I guided my "death" onto a safe zone. :shock:

Trust me. The stuff was quite "fresh" and stronger than my Gambeson. There were some who weren't so lucky. ewwwwwwww!
:lol:

Amaris
Amaris
"Just swing it over your head,.....Now, you can take on anybody."--Conan
Kaliban
Archive Member

Post by Kaliban »

you people afraid of a little poo come on ...
Kaliban

kaliban6@comcast.net
Jonathon More
Archive Member

Post by Jonathon More »

unbelievable. we are trying to represent knights and such as best we can. someone starts actual combat on horseback and someone is going to complain about a bit of horse crap????? deal with it, it wont hurt you, and clothing washes out just fine. get a grip! it aint that big a deal to land in a bit of "period" horse exhaust! :twisted:

just as an aside, a friend and I used to fight full on sca armour and weapons from horseback, not that big a deal, most shots come in a bit lighter than what you feel on the field at pennsic. that is unless someone has a bit of momentum, then you end up with a really spectacular bruise.

damn I miss those days. it sucks to lose friends
Johnathon
pax, pax, est non mi pax

adveho ex heaen. abyssus reus
Vitus von Atzinger
Archive Member

Post by Vitus von Atzinger »

Gotta start the riding lessons now. Must. Must. Must.
"I am trying to be a great burden to my squires. The inner changes we look for will not take place except under the weight of great burdens."
-Me
Jonathon More
Archive Member

Post by Jonathon More »

Vitus von Atzinger wrote:Gotta start the riding lessons now. Must. Must. Must.
go for dressage lessons, sir, no matter what anyone tells you, dressage is learning how to ride, and comes out of the military cavalry traditions. if you need some referances for riding instructors in your area let me know, I've spent tons of time in your area in the horse world.
Johnathon
pax, pax, est non mi pax

adveho ex heaen. abyssus reus
SirAngus
Archive Member

Post by SirAngus »

Hey Vitus, check these guys out.

http://freelancers.faire.net/

They run a jousting bootcamp at least once a year and are based in Tenn. It goes for a week and they provide full armour and trained horses. I've seen people go from no riding to jousting with thier 2 full weeks of training.

Definatly worth it for anyone who wants to try jousting with solid lances! After that, every other jousting style is easy :)
Jeremy
http://www.knightlyarts.com
http://www.ija-usa.com
http://www.oneailfx.net
"As a knight it is my duty to do deeds of arms and put my body to the hazard. It is not to create my renown. That is a job for others who feel my deeds worthy."
Jonny Deuteronomy
Archive Member

That's my troupe. :D
I can come help with your bootcamp if you wish, Vitus.
Sir Angus has been to camp at least twice, so if he recommends it, he means it. 8)
I DARE YOU!
Vitus von Atzinger
Archive Member

Trystan we need to start talking seriously about planning this. After I pay for my tent we have to get the ball rolling.
"I am trying to be a great burden to my squires. The inner changes we look for will not take place except under the weight of great burdens."
-Me
James B.
Archive Member

Post by James B. »

Holy crap that looks awesome! So many of the people pictured have nice kits too!
James B.
In the SCA: Master James de Biblesworth
Archer in La Belle Compagnie
Historic Life
Jonny Deuteronomy
Archive Member

Vitus von Atzinger wrote:Trystan we need to start talking seriously about planning this. After I pay for my tent we have to get the ball rolling.
Can Do, Sir! 8)

If you want to see it up-close in the meantime, we are doing a tournament in May on Memorial Day Weekend at the TennRenn in Murfreesboro, TN.
http://www.tnrenfest.com/theme.htm

I'll take you backstage for intros.
Raynold of Wharram
Archive Member

Riding lessons

Post by Raynold of Wharram »

Vitus von Atzinger wrote:Gotta start the riding lessons now. Must. Must. Must.
At risk of being out of line, Sir Vitus, you are more then welcome to come get started doing some riding lessons with us. Us, being myself and the crew, we call ourselves the Lance of St. Eligius and have been doing some of this stuff years - 2 of our members having also taught lessons at various times in the lifes. We got the horses, equipment, etc... We are in Mercer county, KY - Burgin is the town closest to us - but Harrodsburg may be easier to find on a map. It is about 1.25 -1.5 hours from Louisville, depending on where in the 'ville you are.

We wouldn't even charge yah anything if you would be willing to share a heavy fighting tip with myself and Edmund on occasion when you were over this way. Pretty good on horseback, but man do I suck on the ground.
In service to Crown and Horse,
Raynold of Wharram
Eum equus audiet qui equum audiet.
http://www.eligius.com/
FergusStout
Archive Member

Post by FergusStout »

Ooooooh! Sir Vitus, if you hook up with Raynold then PLEASE think about coming to Lysts in May if Raynold makes the trip over. That would just be completely awesome to have you there.
Scott

Fergus Stout, esquire of Sir Alexis la Bouche

Someone once asked me "why do you always insist on taking the hard road?" and I replied "why do you assume I see two roads"?
- Unknown
Vitus von Atzinger
Archive Member

PM sent
-Me
Rey
Archive Member

Post by Rey »

For Brandr and everyone concerned about the Horse Poo, The equestrian people had several people there to clean up the mess. The Decision by the crowns and the Marshals was to fight around it instead of clean it up as everyone wanted to get the fighting started ASAP instead of waiting 5-10 mins for them to clean the field and there was already some Poo on the Field.

Rey
jeffsandersjkd

boot camp

Post by jeffsandersjkd »

Let me start by saying that I TOTALLY respect the Free Lancers and what they do and would be more than happy to joust with them if they where closer, but the boot camp?

I will be the first to admit that the only thing I know about the jousting boot camp is what little I have read on the web site and here. I am reserving judgment because of my lack of knowledge, but I sincerely hope that they are not trying to get non-riders jousting in just a couple of weeks.

Taking a not rider and having them jousting in 2 weeks? This scares the crap out of me!
The first thing that comes to mind is the rodeo act where the clown puts a monkey on a little saddle strapped to his border collie and they run the barrel racing pattern. These people would not be much better off than that monkey.

I have seen people try to do this 2-week thing with team ropers too and it is not good. While I am all for promoting jousting and getting more people involved this could get people hurt. There are no short cuts to horsemanship and IMHO a jouster, any jouster should be a horseman first and a jouster second.

Frankly I think this is a sad commentary on our culture that people think that they can put in a couple weeks and be ready when they should put in a minimum of a couple years.

Just my .02c
Jeff Sanders
www.joustingshows.com
Kaliban
Archive Member

Re: boot camp

Post by Kaliban »

jeffsandersjkd wrote:Let me start by saying that I TOTALLY respect the Free Lancers and what they do and would be more than happy to joust with them if they where closer, but the boot camp?

I will be the first to admit that the only thing I know about the jousting boot camp is what little I have read on the web site and here. I am reserving judgment because of my lack of knowledge, but I sincerely hope that they are not trying to get non-riders jousting in just a couple of weeks.

Taking a not rider and having them jousting in 2 weeks? This scares the crap out of me!
The first thing that comes to mind is the rodeo act where the clown puts a monkey on a little saddle strapped to his border collie and they run the barrel racing pattern. These people would not be much better off than that monkey.

I have seen people try to do this 2-week thing with team ropers too and it is not good. While I am all for promoting jousting and getting more people involved this could get people hurt. There are no short cuts to horsemanship and IMHO a jouster, any jouster should be a horseman first and a jouster second.

Frankly I think this is a sad commentary on our culture that people think that they can put in a couple weeks and be ready when they should put in a minimum of a couple years.

Just my .02c
Jeff Sanders
www.joustingshows.com

Nope thats not how it is ..just some people do have a natural thing for rideing na thing jousting ... but if you are not up to it you are not going to be rushed through the training like that. . You are watched every step of the way an if you are not ready to move on from one stage to another you will know .. full contact jousting as we know it is not just staged act like some people have .. you are getting hit an it is dangerous .. but safety is the first priority .. so hopefully that will help relax some of your concerns ..

have any other questions please drop me a note sometime and I will do my best to give you answers :)
Kaliban

kaliban6@comcast.net
Cat of Black Talon
Archive Member

Post by Cat of Black Talon »

Wow, that looks like so much fun! How exciting. Count me in if this is ever done in Atlantia.

Kaliban, I'll help you with your horses.

Cat
“It is not titles that honour men, but men that honour titles.” ― Niccolò Machiavelli
Joust Junkie
Archive Member

Post by Joust Junkie »

The demonstration folks saw at Gulf Wars is for "Experimental Mounted Combat" often referred to in the SCA as "MCII." (MCI, or Mounted Crest Combat is already an approved activity where the riders use boffer-type weapons to dislodge an opponents helm-crest...this has been around for several years but isn't nearly as fun to watch as the experimental mounted combat!)

My hat is off once again to Alexis and Wulfric who worked very hard to develop MCII & presented it to the Society which approved it for experimentation about a year ago.

If this type of equestrian marshallate activity has piqued your interest, GREAT! I'm all for it if there can be more of the SCA's chivalry learning that spurs aren't just for decoration! :twisted:

Keep in mind that while MCII does indeed look "COOL" this activity requires a considerable amount of horsemanship, lots of work to train the horse appropriately and lots of practice! In period, it took years to train the horse and the "Knight" to fight as a unit. Even if you have a well trained, bomb-proof mount under you, it's going to take a whole lot more to do this well than a 2 week committment at a "boot camp" program.

The West has a small experimental program for MCII going. In addition, Caid is currently discussing doing an experimental MCII program too. If you are in California and would like more information, please contact me privately. I'd be happy to point you in the right direction.

YIS

Lady Ariadne, the joust junkie of Caid
(Deputy KEO)
Melius vives qui usus medicamina et bionics