Gloves- What are the best gloves for finger gauntlets?

This forum is designed to help us spread the knowledge of armouring.
Magnus Ulfgarsson
Archive Member

Gloves- What are the best gloves for finger gauntlets?

Post by Magnus Ulfgarsson »

I guess the best answer to this, is the ones that fit and are comfortable. But to avoid running the glove gauntlet, I'm interested if anyone has any thoughts on nice gloves to use with finger gauntlets?

I'm getting a nice set made, and would like a good idea on some comfortable gloves to use with them.
Sir Magnus Ulfgarsson ( Price List )
http://www.dark-horse.ca/
Facebook: Dark Horse Custom Leather and Richard Wasnock
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHSSu6JFKwiOkLgzQSRZXRw
Email Preferred
Konstantin the Red
Archive Member

Re: Gloves- What are the best gloves for finger gauntlets?

Post by Konstantin the Red »

Leather drovers' gloves combine softness, durability, comfort and fit. Add a gauntlet cuff if needed; you just stitch it on to the wrist end of the glove, straight on round and round. If necessary, find a western-wear shop. Cowboys use them to handle lariats all day.
WendallVonDerEisenstein
Archive Member

Post by WendallVonDerEisenstein »

I used a pair of mig welders gloves that have worked out great in a set of finger gauntlets I made for myself. About a year later I tried ordering the same pair, but what I got was a set of mig welders gloves that weren't the same as what I used before and I found them too stiff, never bothered to figure out what it was because I never had the time to make that second pair of gauntlets to sell like I had planned.
Steve S.
Archive Member

Post by Steve S. »

I will send you my sources when I get home. I found a place that sells cow skin gloves for about $5 a pair.

But the best ones I found were www.deerskingloves.com as it includes the gauntlet cuff and they are only about $20 a pair.

The G-316BK are the unlined ones.

Steve
Keegan Ingrassia
Archive Member

Post by Keegan Ingrassia »

Thanks for sharing that, Steve. :) Its always a pain to try and nail down a reliable source.
"There is a tremendous amount of information in a picture, but getting at it is not a purely passive process. You have to work at it, but the more you work at it the easier it becomes." - Mac
OZV
Archive Member

Post by OZV »

http://revival.us/lightsparringgloves.aspx

^ I use a pair of those for finger gauntlets.
Steve S.
Archive Member

Post by Steve S. »

Here is the place I found for the cheap gloves.

http://www.constructiongear.com/mens-ch ... 7AodRC4A2Q

They are pretty decent, but for the gauntlets I am making (Wisby #3) and the amount of effort I am putting in them I'm going to use the good deer skin gloves.

Steve
Steve S.
Archive Member

Post by Steve S. »

Ingelri turned me on to the deer skin glove people.

Steve
Henrik Granlid
Archive Member

Post by Henrik Granlid »

91 dollar inspection fee + shipping?
Anything similar in Europe?
Konstantin the Red
Archive Member

Henrik, another term to google is "riggers' gloves." The kind of glove they wear swinging building air conditioning/HVAC units onto rooftops.

You look for stout, supple gloves worn by people who wear gloves a *lot* on the job. Those people know. What do you see googling "working gloves sweden" pa engelsk or pa svenska?
"The Minstrel Boy to the war is gone..."
Henrik Granlid
Archive Member

Post by Henrik Granlid »

Well, there is a company that do do good pairs of welding gloves in a thin and supple leather for the hand, but they also have that massive, coarse and yellow cuff, the deerskin gloves above are unicolour and brown at that. Most places where you'll find deerskin gloves are actual glove-stores and not designed for heavy work.

I'll keep looking, but so far, my best bet are two specific chains, Würth and Ahlsell, there are some other options as well, but those options involve driving a very long way to get just a pair of gloves (we are talking 2-3 hours single trip).

My problem is that I need some sort of internet based single resells, because I have a size Small (7.5) and the local stores either stock heavy welding 8's or supple-and-awesome 9's, 10's and 12's and all of the online retailers I've found on Swedish searches sell packets of 20 or more gloves because they are aiming for the actual worksites. Holding my breath for a semi-local store or something similar once I've gotten ahold of my choice of gauntlet, but yeah, life's hard when your hands are small ><
Gùnthaar
Archive Member

Post by Gùnthaar »

http://store.cyberweld.com/bsxwegltigwe.html

http://www.brweldingsupplies.com/tillma ... ng-gloves/

I welded in the Petro-Chemical Industry for 15yrs, I have used the Tillman Onyx for both welding and fighting. I like them because they already have a light padding on the back of the hand (MIG Glove version more so) to protect you from heat. This is not sufficiant padding for protection but it is an additional thin layer and it is comfortable. Your gauntlet will cover up all the writing and logos without a problem.
leekellerking
Archive Member

Post by leekellerking »

Considered by many to be the best. (For gauntlets and motorcycle riding):

http://www.aerostich.com/aerostich-elks ... es-16.html
I'm not old; I'm vintage!
Jurgen
Archive Member

Post by Jurgen »

The ones you make yourself. Or more specifically, the ones you modify to fit your hand properly. Most off the shelf gloves won't fit quite right which affects how the finger gauntlets work. I bought some wells-lamont gloves and then resewed the areas that were loose. It made a huge difference.
Konstantin the Red
Archive Member

Pay attention to Jurgen.

Your tools would be a glovers' needle for piercing tough leather, and plain dental floss, which is of incredible strength, already waxed to slide through leather, and may be re-colored using a Crayola crayon.